What on demand players would you like to see with YouView?

tracestraces Posts: 199Member
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Feedback

Comments

• tracestraces Posts: 199Member
    edited November 2016
    So far there's been a suggestion for NASA TV and YouTube.

Would like to see TED, a documentary channel, Crackle and Vimeo?
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member
    edited January 2014
    Eurosport is my one and only wish.
  • StargateStargate Posts: 40Member
    edited September 2012
    I would like to have NASA TV also.
  • derek1derek1 Posts: 34Member
    edited June 2016
    YouTube.
    edited November 2016
    Youtube has got to be my first choice.

But, what about an online radio player, or podcast player?
  • edited September 2013
    Some time ago - long before the actual launch - there was talk of RadioPlayer (http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/about/) coming to YouView.

I'd also like to see Vevo (the existence of the 'music video' filter in search suggests at last one music video provider is on its way) and I'm looking forward to seeing what NOW TV charges for the Sky TV content.

Other than that, I'd like Players with access to the archives of Clive James, David Frost and the South Bank Show.
    edited November 2016
    Are there any dedicated comedy stand up players on the net?
  • edited September 2013
    Not sure but it'd be good to see someone like Comedy Central launch a Player.

I'd also like the recently announced web players for Dave and Yesterday to launch on YouVIew.
    edited November 2016
    Agreed, Dave and Yesterday players would be very useful.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,824Member ✭✭
    edited September 2012
    traces said:

Agreed, Dave and Yesterday players would be very useful.

Didn't know about those. They would both be good additions
    edited April 2013
    Good question.

1. Scotland have got Stv, I'd like to have S4c's Clic.
    2.Would like a more affordable selection of films to Nowtv, from Love film, and Netflix.
    3 Ted would be great.
    4. Youtube should be there too, though please don't flood the search results with content from Youtube.
    5. Yes for Nasa tv
    6. Vimeo
    8. Not sure if it counts but i'd like to be able to access the Arts channel "the Space"
    9. Dave
    10. Yesterday
    11. Really like the idea of a player that can access old archived material from BBC, Itv,channel 4, s4c.
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Posts: 315Member
    edited September 2012
    It has been reported that YouView is asking up to £200,000 in order for third parties to instal their apps on their platform. I cannot imagine Google paying anything of that sort for the YouTube app, hence we may wait for a while.
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Posts: 367Member
    edited 26 February 2017, 12:20PM
    I'd just like to see the same content on all players as they have on the internet and not just a selection as we have at the moment.
    But that is not the fault of Youview it's the broadcasters.
    edited September 2012
    I haven't looked closely what are missing on YouView, but I do notice that a lot are missing. Do you have some examples?
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,341Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Yes, whilst it is not YouView forcing the different reduced range of content with the on demand players they have it is frustrating. It is also something that is unlikely to be obvious at the time of purchase and when a customer realises they will understandably feel a bit of disappointment.
    edited September 2012
    If the number of programs missing are large, this may well result to an ASA investigation. The YouView ads clearly says you can go back in time 7 days and there are no caveats to point to this limitation.

That is why it is important to know the percentage of the missing programs.
  • darucladarucla Posts: 52Member
    edited September 2012
    Access to the Internet Archive would be nice. A wide variety of material, including a lot of old TV and film stuff.
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Posts: 279Member
    edited November 2013
    I would like to see blinkbox

I also think the ability to see the BBC's archive would be great as well as any other archive you can see on the internet, as these boxes are supposed to be able to make "Extraordinary TV For Everyone"!
    edited August 2014
    UltraViolet seems like a good idea, but has very little awareness here. The YV box would be ideal for this. (The idea is that once you bought a film, you have the right to waych it on any other platform for no extra charge, and can register a number of devices for your use. ie, you would no longer lose the software because you moved to a different platform).
    edited August 2014
    UltraViolet is is a DRM system. It is not a broadcaster nor a distributor, hence it cannot be added to YouView as an app. UltraViolet simply manages DRM for a broadcaster or a distributor. It does not have any content of its own.
    edited September 2012

I'd just like to see the same content on all players as they have on the internet and not just a selection as we have at the moment.

Yes i hope as Youview becomes more mainstream that broadcasters will give the platform equal parity with the online/pc catch up players, and have all content available to Youview. Youview should be the premiere place for viewing all on demand content. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.
    edited September 2012

Which is very odd that they don't now. All major broadcasters are partners in YouView. Why not show the program to the general public but not on YouView? They must be doing that on purpose as it requires special filtering to be on place.

Very odd and false advertising on YouView's part.
  • Matt FMatt F Posts: 204Member
    edited September 2012
    Youtube would be great, especially if it has the full PC trimmings, like movies & other things, rather than the basic stuff available on mobile devices & ps3.

The full BBC, & ITV archive would be fantastic.

And seeing as we will have sky stuff soon, (obviously paid) on top of the movies at present, an FX catchup added would be great. They have a lot of the best US stuff now, and no on demand player even on Sky Go/PC.
    edited August 2013
    I think I know what UltraViolet is (or will be).

From the UltraViolet website

[quote}18.Do I need to purchase special equipment to use UltraViolet?
    No! You don't need any special equipment or additional technology to enjoy your UltraViolet Collection. However, devices will be marketed that are optimized to work with UltraViolet right out of the box, and you may be interested in making such a feature one of your "checklist" items when buying new devices.[/quote}

The YV box would be a nice device for accessing my UltraViolet material, and I don't see why it could not be "optimized to work with UltraViolet right out of the box", However, there is so little material availble at the moment that what can be done on what is probably moot...
    edited September 2012
    "The YV box would be a nice device for accessing my UltraViolet material"

'Your material' is not accessible to you by itself. All material are streamed to you by a distributor. That distributor should make the material available on YouView via an app, like iPlayer.

Any distributor can place an app on YouView (by agreeing with YouView) which supports UltraViolet, even though the box does not. UltraViolet does not store your content. It only stores your rights, hence it has nothing to do with the capability of the YouView box.
    edited September 2012
    I actually don't care who puts the material up for playback through the box.

At the moment, there are no devices defined in my UltraViolet account, which is fine, as I have no UltraViolet marked material. I signed up to use it as and when.it becomes viable in the UK, but at the moment I know of only one disc which has the UltraViolet label, and I don't want that disc. I normally keep all my material on my own network, but that is subject to the vagaries of hard drives, and is difficult to backup when it reaches more than about 10TB. All I want to use UltraViolet for is to have access to copies of my films from the cloud, on whatever device, and via whatever provider, is available to me at the time.

Really don't care about the mechanisms of the operation beyond that. If that's OK?
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Posts: 296Member
    edited 6 August 2017, 11:17PM
    The 'Player' / 'Players' I'd like to see most are, and in no particular order;

'Quality Player' - Where every programme has to meet the viewers own quality control standards.
    'Shopping Player' - Because there is never enough shopping channels as it is.
    'Players Number 9' - Bringing us all those long forgotten shows where the actors were never without a **** in their hands.
    'Card Players' - Rip off interactive poker games (other gambling games are also available).
    'Youview Player' - A continuous on screen caption of the following message.

YouView are engaged with a number of different content providers as we seek to grow our content portfolio. Naturally, we cannot disclose any details of those discussions but we will announce the launch of new content services as they occur.

That's all I can think of just now, it's friday afternoon, what more do you expect.
    edited November 2016
    A game player would also be welcomed with new and old favorites like Tetris and Pac Man etc..
  • [removed][removed] Posts: 285Member
    edited March 2013
    I would like Eurosport player as I subscribe to it now on my PC & laptop
  • ShawnLindsayShawnLindsay Posts: 6Member
    edited September 2012

It has been reported that YouView is asking up to £200,000 in order for third parties to instal their apps on their platform. I cannot imagine Google paying anything of that sort for the YouTube app, hence we may wait for a while.

Well Google also has Google TV, so Google may hesitant to add it since its a sort of a competitor even though Google TV just a add on to a PVR