What on demand players would you like to see with YouView?

Comments

• Chris EdwardsChris Edwards Posts: 1Member
    edited October 2012
    Well, an internet browser would be pretty good! Be it just a search engine to find information.
  • Ryan1Ryan1 Posts: 29Member
    edited October 2012
    For Me:
    1) LoveFilm Instant
    2) YouTube
    3) Vevo
    4) NAS Access
    5) Play To for Mobile Devices Like Windows Phone's
  • Phil CollinsPhil Collins Posts: 4Member
    edited October 2012
    For me it would be youTube, TED and LoveFilm and an internet browser would also be good.
  • sandmansandman Posts: 59Member
    edited July 2013
    muzu tv
    lovefilm
    internet browser
    eurosport
    an internet radio player
    euronews
    twitter
    youtube
  • bramblebramble Posts: 118Member
    edited 11 July 2017, 3:57PM
    The Space

Channel 232, which should provide the Video on Demand service,The Space, managed by Arts Council England and developed in partnership with the BBC, reports that the youview device is not supported.
  • stuart52golfstuart52golf Posts: 205Member
    edited September 2013
    As this topic seems to have been getting recent comment, I would like lots of different players, but you know guys and gals, I would be happy if the current players actually played what I can view by plugging my laptop into my TV.

I know copyright and all that, but I still cant get my head round the fact, I can watch on the web, but I cant on my TV, bonkers.
    I think the best bet for catchup is a new TV for me, with a web browser, my mate has just bought one, its superb, bookmark, bbciplayer, etc and watch what you can see on your pc, thats what catch up and on demand should be, and YouView is not.
  • edited September 2013
    Until the networks block access to the TV's browser as their US counterparts did to Google TV's ;-)

I also wouldn't be too confident that the TV maker will keep your set up to date with new software builds, something that could become important.

Remember, their business is selling you a new £1000 TV, not providing you support and software updates for the one you already bought and the meagre profits from which they already spent.
    edited October 2012
    Martin1 said:

Until the networks block access to the TV's browser as their US counterparts did to Google TV's ;-)

I also wouldn't be too confident that the TV maker will keep your set up to date with new software builds, something that could become important.

Remember, their business is selling you a new £1000 TV, not providing you support and software updates for the one you already bought and the meagre profits from which they already spent.

Well, if the networks blocked my access to web sites, I would have a good case to go and demand my money back for the TV, which was sold to me on the basis of access to the internet.

In terms of confidence regarding updates, what gives you the confidence the current YouView offering will deliver the updates it should have had on release?
    I think the idea of YouView was great, but full catch up tv it is not.

They can sell me a TV for £550, as that is the one I will buy, and regarding support and updates, one thing I have never expected from a TV retailer or manufacturer are software updates and support, as the sales guys selling this kit, dont know what it does in the first place.
  • edited October 2012
    Martin1 said:

>> Well, if the networks blocked my access to web sites, I would have a good case to go and demand my money back for the TV, which was sold to me on the basis of access to the internet.

Buried away in the T&Cs for all Smart TVs are disclaimers stating the manufacturer doesn't guarantee access to any specific content and the retailer would say they never sold it to you promising access to any specific content either.

>> In terms of confidence regarding updates, what gives you the confidence the current YouView offering will deliver the updates it should have had on release?

It's already getting updates as you know very well.

>> and regarding support and updates, one thing I have never expected from a TV retailer or manufacturer are software updates and support,

Then you'll be a lot happier than the legions of Smart TV owners who've seen new features arrive on models released just weeks after their bought theirs and been left with a product that' been artificially left behind in order to try selling new units.

It is of course up to you what you do. I'm not trying to persuade you to take or avoid any course of action, I'm just trying to ensure you understand the potential issues you could encounter.
    edited October 2012
    Martin1 said:

The only point I will make is, this box is getting updates to possibly make it a better PVR, not a better catch up TV experience.
    There are obviously broadcast/copyright issues which perhaps should have been sorted out if they could have been, regarding what you can and cannot watch before being launched.
    This box, service, is promoted displaying all the catch up players we perhaps all use on a PC, the content available on the YouView platform is not what you can watch on line, or with a pc or alternative box plugged in to a TV.
  • edited October 2012
    Martin1 said:

"not a better catch up TV experience"

It's already been said that the 4oD Player is receiving an update later this year or early next which will add even more features.

>> There are obviously broadcast/copyright issues which perhaps should have been sorted out if they could have been, regarding what you can and cannot watch before being launched.

Rights tend to be agreed when the programme is first acquired, most of the time they're altered or extended as part of a wider renewal agreement, not on an ad hoc basis.

Even Lovefilm has been - may still be - unable to offer all content on all devices.

Right now they're not even allowed to enable AIrplay as that would violate their agreements with the studios:

https://twitter.com/LOVEFiLM/status/2...

and they're not allowed to offer all films they rent on DVD on their streaming service.

Ultimately the rights holders have the final say on what can be made available, when and how.
    edited October 2012
    Martin1 said:

Martin, I really have enjoyed our chat, but, features in my mind, do not relate to content available to watch on demand, which is my main issue with YouView or to be honest possibly any TV with Apps that allow access to the players.

While the content available via a PC or an internet enabled TV with a full browser is the full content from that broadcaster, that is the platform for me.

I perhaps am in the minority on this forum, as most seem to be asking/requesting for added PVR functionality, to come up to a standard they already have used or expect.
    I have a PVR, I can set to record if and when I want, but on occasions I may have forgotten to record, I get home late, so I can access the players to watch, maybe what I have missed I can watch a few days later.

My requirements really are quite simple, to watch what is on demand on the various player web sites.

Simple really, have a nice evening. Im going to have a beer and chill out.

There is nothing too watch on catch up!!! only joking.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,824Member ✭✭
    edited October 2012

As this topic seems to have been getting recent comment, I would like lots of different players, but you know guys and gals, I would be happy if the current players actually played what I can view by plugging my laptop into my TV.

I know copyright and all that, but I still cant get my head round the fact, I can watch on the web, but I cant on my TV, bonkers.
    I think the best bet for catchup is a new TV for me, with a web browser, my mate has just bought one, its superb, bookmark, bbciplayer, etc and watch what you can see on your pc, thats what catch up and on demand should be, and YouView is not.

Totally agree stuart52golf. I've mentioned this before in other posts. Youview needs to bring the catchup players to parity with the online pc equivalents. Youview is a game changer, and should be a premier Catch up service(its getting there), but it really simply needs to have the same content that can be accessed on pc/mac...not an edited down version of it.
  • edited October 2012

Hi Joe

"Youview needs to bring the catchup players to parity with the online pc equivalents."

It's not something YouVIew has any control over. The content is made available by the broadcasters who are constrained by what the agreements they have with the rights holders allow.

If their rights don't allow the content to be included in set top box or TV versions of their catch-up apps then they simply can't include them.
    edited October 2012

I understand that, but Youview could have the potential to change the industry and how the rights system works. After all its made up of a powerful section of the tv industry.
    When its partners realise that they're new pet project is being held back by rights issues that distinguish between rights for browser based players, and those available on tv's , then hopefully something will change to bring parity. Youview represents a sea change in how we watch catch up tv. I think the tv industry needs to catch up and realise this. Youview will be a powerful voice (i hope) to make this possible.
    edited November 2012
    I have to add the BFI (British film institute) which are bringing an on demand archive of british films to the internet through a new online player.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/o...
  • edited October 2012

I must be missing something, if you understand it has nothing to do with YouView why did you say: "Youview needs to bring the catchup players to parity with the online pc equivalents"?

Broadcasters always try and get the maximum rights they can but ultimately they will always potentially find themselves facing the choice of buy the show for transmission and get online catch-up rights only, or don't buy the programme at all.

As broadcast is still their main business, how likely is it they'll opt not to bw showing the new 'must see' shows?
    edited October 2012

Hi Martin. What i meant was i have an understanding of the licensing reasons for the catch up programs availability being different on pc's then from the those on Youview, as you have shown in your example. But I do think that Youview can do something about that in the long run.
    As I mentioned I think Youview has the potential to be a game changer. In fact I think that was one of the reasons for its conception. Reading the about section on the Youview website, specifically talks about bringing catch tv from the computer screen to the television screen. With such a strong backing from a powerful group of supporters(BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk, and arqiva )Youview has influence in the the industry.
    If Youview is able to pass on feedback to its backers then there is the potential for industry licensing rules to be addressed at the industry level, to make it easier to have the same content available on pcs and newly emerging platforms like Youview... Maybe a little idealist but hey if you don't ask, you don't get
  • MattTMattT Posts: 16Member
    edited January 2014
    S4c's Clic would be great for Wales and for a niche beyond the border.

The kids programmes (Cyw) are particularly good and there is the odd comedy (Tacsi Gwyn) and drama (Pen Talar) which are great programmes in their own right. If you're learning too there are a fair few learners programmes which would be great to have on YouView so you can keep up/catch up with the televised lessons.

Please get S4C onboard!
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Posts: 367Member
    edited 26 February 2017, 12:20PM
    S4C's Clic is a must for Wales.. Scotland have STV player, so lets have Clic please...
    edited October 2012
    Yes agreed, Youview really needs to make sure that S4C's Clic is included. I hope its added soon!
  • BazildogBazildog Posts: 9Member
    edited October 2013
    BLINKBOX

YOUTUBE

how about a browser for your part internet based box support by 2 major ISP's??????????????????????????
  • GWGW Posts: 8Member
    edited November 2012
    traces said:

Agreed, Dave and Yesterday players would be very useful.

TED please
  • Mike2Mike2 Posts: 144Member
    edited July 2014
    This is my list

Netflix
    Lovefilm
    YouTube
    BlinkBox
    Internet Radio
  • Kenneth SmithKenneth Smith Posts: 3Member
    edited November 2012
    traces said:

So far there's been a suggestion for NASA TV and YouTube.

Would like to see TED, a documentary channel, Crackle and Vimeo?

netflix would be nice
  • Mike2Mike2 Posts: 144Member
    edited July 2014
    If TT can advertise 'Lovefilm Instant' then surely they've either got an exclusive to provide this service or Lovefilm could be working on an app for the box
  • Michael4Michael4 Posts: 23Member
    edited October 2013
    blinkbox
    youtube
    blinkbox

oh and blinkbox (have I mentioned that already?)
  • DuvetManDuvetMan Posts: 75Member
    edited August 2014
    darucla said:

UltraViolet seems like a good idea, but has very little awareness here. The YV box would be ideal for this. (The idea is that once you bought a film, you have the right to waych it on any other platform for no extra charge, and can register a number of devices for your use. ie, you would no longer lose the software because you moved to a different platform).

agree Ultraviolet is ideally suited with the YV system
  • DuvetManDuvetMan Posts: 75Member
    edited August 2014

UltraViolet is is a DRM system. It is not a broadcaster nor a distributor, hence it cannot be added to YouView as an app. UltraViolet simply manages DRM for a broadcaster or a distributor. It does not have any content of its own.

taken from your link on wikipeadia...

"The UltraViolet platform is a standalone application for devices that allows streaming & downloads of pre-purchased media"

and

" Files can also be streamed over the Internet. Up to three streams can be simultaneously transmitted.[4] Compatible devices include set-top boxes as well as Internet-enabled devices such as computers, game consoles, Blu-ray players, Internet TVs, smartphones, and tablets.[5]"

Sounds to me that it could be added????
  • edited September 2013
    Bumping this thread up the forum " rel="nofollow">with a link to City AM:

which reports that music on demand service Vevo could be coming to YouView this year:

Caraeff also outlines an opportunity on internet-connected televisions and set-top boxes, naming Sky, Virgin Media and YouView as potential partners. “You’ll see at least a dozen of those new platforms this year from us,” he says. “We have a lot that we’re cooking for the year.”

As someone who has been disappointed with the poor selection of music videos offered by BT, I'd welcome this development.