[Discussion] Welcome to Next Generation YouView- TalkTalk Software Update 60.43.106 / 72.43.106

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 995Administrator admin
edited 9 July 2017, 11:02PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Please feel free to discuss the new TalkTalk software update, featuring Next Generation YouView in this discussion thread. 

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,634Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM

Is it just my screen as after following that link all the information is falling off the right hand side of the screen...

I have to scroll right to see all the information even though there is a massive empty white space on the left third.

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,341Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    For those who want to know more about the next gen system from some first hand experience, I've posted my first impressions here :)
  • Dave18Dave18 Posts: 1Member
    edited 5 June 2017, 3:25PM
    Faster to load maybe but not much thought has gone in to making it faster to use.

The mini guide for on now, next and later often comes up with the wrong programmes. Eg you'll get ITV logo and BBC2 programmes.

As Keith mentions, the navigation to recordings is horrendous. You want to play a series of Recordings. At the end of each you only get the option of going to live tv. So then starts a long series of clicks to get to recordings in my tv - select the series and get taken to the most recent recording so then another long series of clicks or a long hold of the left arrow to get to the next one to be viewed. It's so easy with NowTV or Netflix that YouView looks very poor in comparison. And why are the programme titles and descriptions truncated. Why cannot you select a recording and get shown the full title and full description without having to press the info button each time.

The presentation and navigation need a lot more work before being released to all.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    scott said:

Is it just my screen as after following that link all the information is falling off the right hand side of the screen...

I have to scroll right to see all the information even though there is a massive empty white space on the left third.

Hi Scott, can you let us know what browser you are using here and we'll look into that as soon as possible. Could be a CSS issue with the site.
    edited December 2016
    scott said:

Hi Sanj, I am using IE11.

edited December 2016
    scott said:

Cheers, i'll look into it now
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 307Member
    edited 12 March 2017, 7:39PM
    Youview's support latest software version page currently only lists the new software against the DT372T and DT360T.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions

Does that mean that for now the DT372T and DT360T are taking precedence for the roll-out over the DT370T?
    edited December 2016

Youview's support latest software version page currently only lists the new software against the DT372T and DT360T.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions

Does that mean that for now the DT372T and DT360T are taking precedence for the roll-out over the DT370T?

The link at the top does state this :-

This update currently supports these box models:

• DN360T
    • DN372T

The DN370T device will receive this update at a later date.

• Graham HarrisonGraham Harrison Posts: 1Member
    edited 24 April 2017, 4:37PM
    what about adding youtube to the apps section would be very nice to have
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

what about adding youtube to the apps section would be very nice to have

You are not alone, and coming late to the party, but welcome!

https://community.youview.com/youview...

Item 33
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Josie HobsonJosie Hobson Posts: 1Member
    edited 19 March 2017, 5:10PM
    Dave18 said:

Faster to load maybe but not much thought has gone in to making it faster to use.

The mini guide for on now, next and later often comes up with the wrong programmes. Eg you'll get ITV logo and BBC2 programmes.

As Keith mentions, the navigation to recordings is horrendous. You want to play a series of Recordings. At the end of each you only get the option of going to live tv. So then starts a long series of clicks to get to recordings in my tv - select the series and get taken to the most recent recording so then another long series of clicks or a long hold of the left arrow to get to the next one to be viewed. It's so easy with NowTV or Netflix that YouView looks very poor in comparison. And why are the programme titles and descriptions truncated. Why cannot you select a recording and get shown the full title and full description without having to press the info button each time.

The presentation and navigation need a lot more work before being released to all.

we don't like the new update at all - why mend something thats not broken - why should i have to get used to it - my view is complete rubbish!! - live tv what a joke - the sound disappears and you have to start pressing buttons to get back to recordings, click on any 1 till you get sound then use back button aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh - that stupid Talktalk screen when you switch on - whats that about ?  i'm not going to renew i don't think unless we can go back to how it was - can we press a button and get rid of the last update ? seriously i would like to know thanks
    edited December 2016
    Dave18 said:

No, NextGen, like all YouView updates, is neither avoidable nor reversible, alas.

But NextGen is what is charitably called a work in progress, and perhaps would have been better as something that people could elect to try, and switch back from if it did not suit, at least until it was more complete.

However, while the issues with being thrown out of a Series or even right out of MyTV are known and are being addressed, and making the Main Menu optional on switch-on has been suggested, I do not recall any reports of the sound loss issue here.

However, we have seen this with CurrentGen in the past.

Can you try a soft reset - touch the On/Standby button (ring on T1000s( for just over 8 seconds while not recording nor about to - and see if this cures that problem, at least?

And if not, please describe more exactly how and when it happens, and what you do to get the sound back?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Jon GurneyJon Gurney Posts: 1Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I haven't received the update on my DT372T yet. Is there a way to force update or just wait patiently. Im not a talktalk tv subscriber anymore so its just a unlocked box? 
    edited December 2016

I haven't received the update on my DT372T yet. Is there a way to force update or just wait patiently. Im not a talktalk tv subscriber anymore so its just a unlocked box? 

You can't force the update, but when it is ready for your box, the box won't update until the next morning a.m.

However, a manual update earlier will bear fruit in those circumstances.

I.e. You can't hasten the release to your box, but once the software is released to you, you can hasten when you start working with it :-)

And that you are no longer subscribed to TalkTalk should not make any difference to that release date.
  • Larry BloomanLarry Blooman Posts: 2Member
    edited 28 May 2017, 8:32PM
    Awful update. All pictures and v. little text. Slower to navigate. For example, in MyView instead of rows of text about each recording we have a giant thumbnail and about 3 rows and 5 columns of small thumbnails (by which I mean little pictures). Each thumbnail contains much less information than the row of text it replaced and it's slower to navigate between the pictures than the old rows of text. And why is the first thumbnail of each page larger than all the others? ridiculous.

If you've recorded more than a page worth it takes 3 button clicks to scroll down to page 2; it used to be 1 button click to scroll to the right. And why move next page to below rather than to the right? Yet another unnecessary change to learn.

Series records used to be better. Now when I choose a series I get a row of 5 identical episodes because the pretty pictures are identical and the truncated line of texts are identical so I can't quickly choose which episode to scroll to. E.g. "New: Detectorists". Before I would know the date, the channel and I think the time of day, can't remember. Now I can't quickly see which is oldest and which is newest. Plus 5 isn't enough. You've replaced about 10 rows (or was it more?) of episodes with 5 columns of useless pretty pictures.

After watching something on the last page I have to scroll all the way back  up through every page  to the first page instead of scrolling directly past last page to get to start.

Deleting watched programmes is now a chore. Now when I press stop after watching an episode of a series record I'm dropped out of the whole series. To delete that episode I have to navigate back into the series, remember which one I watched (don't forget, they all look the same now), scroll to it and delete it.

Guide
    -------
    It's less obvious which programme you've selected, light blue v dark blue once you've chosen your channel row.

Navigation is similar thank goodness, except one inexplicable change. If you scroll up from the top row to the previous (say channel 10 to channel 9) it works, but also scrolls the whole screen to show channel 8 at the top. You can never get back to your selected channel also being the top channel on the screen. This is an irritating change rather than crucial I admit.

Like MyView, you can no longer scroll beyond the last channel directly to the first. I know you can just type 1 and get there but why remove that function? More change for it's own sake. Do you actually believe all that marketing nonsense that new means fresher and better?

I may be wrong about this but before when you highlighted a programme it's start time was displayed somewhere on the screen. Now you only surmise the start time if you can physically see it or if you scroll back in time to it's beginning. Naff.

Summary
    ------------
    I could go on but I've only used it for 3 days. My overall impression is that you have gone for image at the expense of substance. It looks more suited to a touchscreen than to a keyboard based input.
    I'm a software developer of over 20 years so I'm old school. The cynic in me suspects you've allowed bearded, twenty-something 'hipsters' to design this and they can't think beyond thumb swipes and touch screens. It's a telly, not a smart phone you [delete the very rude adjectives] muppets!!
  • John ChillingworthJohn Chillingworth Posts: 3Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Well, sadly my update has completely 'borked' my box. Maybe 48 hours ok then a few failed recordings as it appeared the EPG had gone out of sync. A soft restart got it back in line but since then then box has been completely unusable. If you choose a channel after a reboot it will stay up but menus will freeze and lock the box up. All recordings fail. A hard reboot and same again, almost instant lockup.

Have gone through all the engineering menu options, except the Internet/USB update options as these insist the box isn't connected to the internet, though it is.

Enjoyed, two calls to support and booked an engineer visit.

I've now disconnected it from the internet and it seems a little happier but EPG info is completely absent. At least I can change channel!

Why did they roll this out now! I just want a working box for Christmas, I don't care about thumbnails!
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    If anyone has any problems with this TalkTalk update you need to report this to TT directly to get your individual problems sorted. Either via the forum or any other means.
  • Marco2Marco2 Posts: 1Member
    edited December 2016

Awful update. All pictures and v. little text. Slower to navigate. For example, in MyView instead of rows of text about each recording we have a giant thumbnail and about 3 rows and 5 columns of small thumbnails (by which I mean little pictures). Each thumbnail contains much less information than the row of text it replaced and it's slower to navigate between the pictures than the old rows of text. And why is the first thumbnail of each page larger than all the others? ridiculous.

If you've recorded more than a page worth it takes 3 button clicks to scroll down to page 2; it used to be 1 button click to scroll to the right. And why move next page to below rather than to the right? Yet another unnecessary change to learn.

Series records used to be better. Now when I choose a series I get a row of 5 identical episodes because the pretty pictures are identical and the truncated line of texts are identical so I can't quickly choose which episode to scroll to. E.g. "New: Detectorists". Before I would know the date, the channel and I think the time of day, can't remember. Now I can't quickly see which is oldest and which is newest. Plus 5 isn't enough. You've replaced about 10 rows (or was it more?) of episodes with 5 columns of useless pretty pictures.

After watching something on the last page I have to scroll all the way back  up through every page  to the first page instead of scrolling directly past last page to get to start.

Deleting watched programmes is now a chore. Now when I press stop after watching an episode of a series record I'm dropped out of the whole series. To delete that episode I have to navigate back into the series, remember which one I watched (don't forget, they all look the same now), scroll to it and delete it.

Guide
    -------
    It's less obvious which programme you've selected, light blue v dark blue once you've chosen your channel row.

Navigation is similar thank goodness, except one inexplicable change. If you scroll up from the top row to the previous (say channel 10 to channel 9) it works, but also scrolls the whole screen to show channel 8 at the top. You can never get back to your selected channel also being the top channel on the screen. This is an irritating change rather than crucial I admit.

Like MyView, you can no longer scroll beyond the last channel directly to the first. I know you can just type 1 and get there but why remove that function? More change for it's own sake. Do you actually believe all that marketing nonsense that new means fresher and better?

I may be wrong about this but before when you highlighted a programme it's start time was displayed somewhere on the screen. Now you only surmise the start time if you can physically see it or if you scroll back in time to it's beginning. Naff.

Summary
    ------------
    I could go on but I've only used it for 3 days. My overall impression is that you have gone for image at the expense of substance. It looks more suited to a touchscreen than to a keyboard based input.
    I'm a software developer of over 20 years so I'm old school. The cynic in me suspects you've allowed bearded, twenty-something 'hipsters' to design this and they can't think beyond thumb swipes and touch screens. It's a telly, not a smart phone you [delete the very rude adjectives] muppets!!

Absolutely agree. Updated three days ago. Navigation very slow as loading of images catches up. When they do load they are usually showing programmes for a different channel. Abysmal update. Never been tempted to move from TT until now but will definitely do as cannot stand this.
  • Philip BradburyPhilip Bradbury Posts: 2Member
    edited 19 March 2017, 5:14PM

Guide
    -------

Summary
    ------------

I very much agree with the comments above. We found the old software easy to use and used the YouView box for everything. We will be reverting to our old Humax Freeview box until this icon driven interface reverts to using columns of words again. Windows 8 should not have been an inspiration to anything.
    edited December 2016

Guide
    -------

Summary
    ------------

There won't be any going back :-)

I agree with you about Windows 8 though - but I doubt the YouView designers took any visual clues from it, as I think Netflix and Amazon Fire TV are the sorts of UIs that YouView is chasing after.

Fire TV, though not Firestick yet(?), just got another makeover this weekend, and now looks even slicker.

But I notice that both with Netflix and Amazon, there is a presumption of fluidity, whereas YouView remains rather static - the paging through Recordings is a case in point.

Here, instead of flicking sideways column by column, the recordings go page by page (who wants pages, especially when you can't choose to jump to one?) and more infuriatingly, page downwards, and not across, like Amazon and Netflix - and even YouView CurrentGen! - do, within a category.

Most of these things will get fixed it time, though, we hope.

Even the most egregious issue, the one I call the Information Mistake, where the display you get when you click on a tile with a number of series episodes behind it, is an Info display.

This you can see by pressing Info when on that tile instead of Enter - something you can do on a non-series tile, to see a very similar display..

As a result of this, the area that requires possibly the most dynamic functionality in the whole Recordings scheme of things, for seamless handling of episode playing, has been delegated to the essentially static area of Info display.

I hope that YouView will back away from this, now we have told them in rather more detail how we think this area should work - if indeed, they did not know already! - and implement it as the important unique functional area it needs to be, and not try to shoehorn that functionality into the (incorrect) Info paradigm here.

Since that would be likely to mess up Info, and never be quite right for series handling :-(
    edited December 2016

Well, sadly my update has completely 'borked' my box. Maybe 48 hours ok then a few failed recordings as it appeared the EPG had gone out of sync. A soft restart got it back in line but since then then box has been completely unusable. If you choose a channel after a reboot it will stay up but menus will freeze and lock the box up. All recordings fail. A hard reboot and same again, almost instant lockup.

Have gone through all the engineering menu options, except the Internet/USB update options as these insist the box isn't connected to the internet, though it is.

I've now disconnected it from the internet and it seems a little happier but EPG info is completely absent. At least I can change channel!

Why did they roll this out now! I just want a working box for Christmas, I don't care about thumbnails!

Hi John - We're sorry you're experiencing these issues so close to Christmas. 

Have you already had the engineer visit? If not we have some questions for you to help us look into these issues. We'd be grateful if you could let us know:
    • Your box serial number. Can be found in the settings menu under device information. If your box won't let you get that far, you can find it on the sticker on the back or bottom of the box itself. Could you send this to community@youview.com
    I know you said that you've tried the Maintenance Mode reset. Did you try the option that deletes your recordings? If you still have recordings in MyTV can you let us know:
    • A programme that has failed. Can you press info on that programme and also give us the: Channel/Date/Time duration
    • Does the programme tile have an ! mark or a play icon?
    • If play icon, is it the circle full red or half red?
    • If play icon, can the recording play at all?
    • If play icon, is the recordings clipped at the beginning or end?
    • Do you get any error messages when trying to play the 
    • When the recording was meant to take place, were you, using YouView / using another device on your TV / not using the TV at all?
    • If you were using YouView did you get any error messages at the time?
    edited 17 April 2017, 9:29PM
    Visionman said:

If anyone has any problems with this TalkTalk update you need to report this to TT directly to get your individual problems sorted. Either via the forum or any other means.

Well, I don't buy that - and from the look of it above, neither does Sanj.

After all, this is a YouView update, and however prematurely TalkTalk released it, and whatever there may be in the TalkTalk-specific area, the issues being raised are ones I have seen, or might potentially expect to see, even on my retail boxen.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

I hadn't thought of that and your right. :)
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

Damn, it's no fun when we agree on something :-)
  • John ChillingworthJohn Chillingworth Posts: 3Member
    edited December 2016

I've replied to the email but for the sake of completeness I'll add this here also;

Box serial number D4Q8WA93A1202059

I have Run the software reset, factory reset (keep recordings) and factory reset (delete recordings) and also when I was able to get to it I tried the reset from the setup menu. All my original recordings are now lost. However from my testing I found the following;

•A programme that has failed. Can you press info on that programme and also give us the: Channel/Date/Time duration - All recordings are now deleted. However I managed to get a recording working for a short time after support remotely reset something. Would have been Cbeebies HD I think, daytime. I can no longer get to this page. However during the initial fault phase it was Strictly Come Dancing on BBC1 HD Saturday 10th I think.
    •Does the programme tile have an ! mark or a play icon? Strictly was stuck on the scheduled recordings page. The CBeebies test went into record ok (partial) and for a short while played. Then the box reverted to frozen.
    •If play icon, is it the circle full red or half red? Was a partial recording so was half red?
    •If play icon, can the recording play at all? Recording did play for a short while. Then box reverted to non responsive.
    •If play icon, is the recordings clipped at the beginning or end? Was a partial recording. Start missed I think.
    •Do you get any error messages when trying to play the No error messages have been seen.
    •When the recording was meant to take place, were you, using YouView / using another device on your TV / not using the TV at all? In the original instance TV would have been on and running. We then went to play a recording that was in progress. It refused to play  and stayed on the scheduled page rather than the recordings page. After a reboot it remained in this state. Box then became non responsive. This recording would have been Strictly Come Dancing (oh the shame!) on BBC1 HD Saturday 10th I think.
    •If you were using YouView did you get any error messages at the time? I've not seen any error messages.

Hope that helps.

Engineer is due to visit in a couple of days. Hopefully this will resolve.

John

• jhnjhn Posts: 13Member
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

I've managed to get my head around all the problems everyone else has mentioned so far, but am annoyed that a couple of days after the forced upgrade to my box I can no longer see my scheduled recordings.  What's that all about?  Why would Youview or TalkTalk think that was an improvement to the service? 

• Larry BloomanLarry Blooman Posts: 2Member
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

There's hope for you jhn. I've suffered the upgrade too but it didn't screw my scheduled recordings. They look like the Recordings (i.e. nasty thumbnails) but they are there. I don't have a solution but I hope Youview does. An upgrade re-installation perhaps.
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

jhn

Press the blue 'y' button on your remote to bring up the Main Menu, if you are not already on it.

Arrow right twice, to MyTV, and press OK.

You should see two headings there, Recordings and Scheduled.

Arrow right to Scheduled and click OK.

What do you see?
  • jimbjimb Posts: 861Member ✭✭
    TalkTalk have stated that "... we have 150,000 TalkTalk TV households now enjoying the new experience in time for Christmas."
  • jhnjhn Posts: 13Member

I see the message:  "No scheduled recordings.

To record a programme, select it in the Guide or Mini Guide and press Record on your remote control.  These programmes are stored in Recordings."

I know I have at least 20 scheduled recordings set up, and those that are scheduled do actually record and store on the box, their thumbnail appearing in the Recordings heading when recorded.

Can't work out why the scheduled programmes were present as thumbnails in the Scheduled heading for a couple of days after the upgrade then disappeared.  That included both old schedules before the upgrade and newer ones set after the upgrade.

Was there an upgrade to the upgrade a couple of days later which removed the thumbnails from the Scheduled heading?  When can we expect them back?

I don't hold out much hope for long suffering customers if the so-called beta testers failed to point out all the faults present with the upgrade.  If they did then why did the Youview and TalkTalk teams ignore their comments?

I reckon TalkTalk should give us a rebate on our monthly charges until Youview sort the problems that have been foisted on us.  We are now receiving a far inferior service since the unasked for upgrade.  I also reckon Ofcom and whoever regulates broadcasting should also get involved.

Any lawyers out there that want to launch a class action against both TalkTalk and Youview for breach of contract?