[Discussion] Welcome to Next Generation YouView- TalkTalk Software Update 60.43.106 / 72.43.106

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 February 2017, 10:13PM

TV Recording Lists - why pictures???

The new format is terrible. It's so difficult to easily scan - the images are really distracting and really don't serve any purpose. Moreover, the way it's been implemented means there's actually less information on the screen.

See below. Apparently I recorded something called "The Worst ..."   (note - 5 Characters wasted with "New: ")

I can see a slightly fuzzy person on the image....nope still no help........

OK - let me navigate to that Tile'......maybe I'll get more info without having to press yet another button.

Oh no - that's no good - I still don't know what it is.........

Please please please can we have an option to revert to a far more usable 'List' format.

The pictures on the wizzy-dizzy new YouView screens are called thumbnails. If you have been choosing comestibles from a similar menu at your Mum's care home....
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 February 2017, 10:22PM

The new format is terrible. It's so difficult to easily scan - the images are really distracting and really don't serve any purpose. Moreover, the way it's been implemented means there's actually less information on the screen.

See below. Apparently I recorded something called "The Worst ..."   (note - 5 Characters wasted with "New: ")

OK - let me navigate to that Tile'......maybe I'll get more info without having to press yet another button.

Please please please can we have an option to revert to a far more usable 'List' format.

Doh me! Far so ray so lar...
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,097Member ✭✭
    edited 25 February 2017, 10:48PM

Ah. I thought that they were referred to as tiles. These are thumbnails:

edited 25 February 2017, 10:48PM

LOL. Users refer to them as Tiles, but they are actually thumbnails. And the images are stored in the cloud. What was on offer for tea?
    edited 25 February 2017, 11:01PM

Chicken and sweetcorn or oxtail soup followed by salmon or cheese sandwiches. Cream buns or fruit salad to finish. And mugs of tea. I've asked them to put my name on the reserved list :)
    edited 25 February 2017, 11:54PM

Tiles, thumbnails, no need to fret over it, jonesh :-)
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 25 February 2017, 11:56PM

Indeed. Either will strum to the beat.
    edited 26 February 2017, 9:13AM

Don't mock - it's a Gretsch. C'mon on Eddie!

The image that they used for the oxtail soup was er . . .  imaginative :)
  • Kevin Gwynne PughKevin Gwynne Pugh Posts: 3Member
    edited 27 February 2017, 1:11PM
    jimb said:

A couple of weeks ago I suggested that the TalkTalk rollout had been paused.
    Here's a recent comment from the TalkTalk forum:

...a number of potential problems have been discovered so the new updates seem to being limited/postponed until these problems are properly solved...
    ...my initial comment is from the TT trials manager.
    Never had a VCR ... this box is for my old man who has dementia ... the new GUI interface is no good for him - he will simply sit there for the day with the menu across the bottom of the screen.
    edited 27 February 2017, 2:02PM
    jimb said:

...a number of potential problems have been discovered so the new updates seem to being limited/postponed until these problems are properly solved...
    No, the menu will turn off after a couple of minutes, and return to whatever channel he was watching, full screen.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,360Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February 2017, 2:03PM
    jimb said:

Do you know the actual time delay Roy, I didn't know that and have never had the patience to find out!

edited 27 February 2017, 2:26PM
    jimb said:

....and the days grow short when you reach September....
  • jimbjimb Posts: 861Member ✭✭
    edited 27 February 2017, 3:12PM
    jimb said:

It's one minute.
    edited 27 February 2017, 9:49PM
    jimb said:

Thanks jimb. Too long. It would be nice to make it user configurable e.g. 10s, 20s etc. and/or turn offable.
  • jim1jim1 Posts: 60Member
    edited 2 March 2017, 5:58PM
    redchiz said:

Rob said "Seems pretty unanimous that people want a list view" and it does look that way amongst those who are posting objections, clearly. But not from those who aren't posting at all. Or from others who have quietly pointed out that they are quite content, or at least getting used to the new look, but those voices are clearly being drowned out by the angry mob. Which is why, as others have said, it is so difficult to judge from forum feedback. Me? I think it's fine, didn't mind the old list view, thought it was a bit old hat. Don't mind the new one. My objections are more about substance, like the pain in deleting, or series recordings defaulting to newest first.

One of the big benefits of the new design was that it was HTML5 based and so could be adapted and amended easily. https://www.youview.com/2016/11/23/yo... Is that not how web pages are delivered? So the fact of it being a set top box rather than a web browser is matterless.
    edited 2 March 2017, 11:05AM
    redchiz said:

Rob said "Seems pretty unanimous that people want a list view" and it does look that way amongst those who are posting objections, clearly. But not from those who aren't posting at all. Or from others who have quietly pointed out that they are quite content, or at least getting used to the new look, but those voices are clearly being drowned out by the angry mob. Which is why, as others have said, it is so difficult to judge from forum feedback. Me? I think it's fine, didn't mind the old list view, thought it was a bit old hat. Don't mind the new one. My objections are more about substance, like the pain in deleting, or series recordings defaulting to newest first.

Not quite, jim.

If I dare compare - not exactly chalk and cheese, but two varieties of cheese at least - without arousing redchiz' ire, I would point to the the Sony Android TVs that YouView runs on, where there is a Google Play Store you can access for additional apps on the TV.

People are constantly surprised to find that their favourite Android apps aren't present ; the reason being that this is a TV variant of Google Play Store, where only TV-adapted apps can appear. Apart from some technical considerations, relatively easily addressed, such as making the apps compatible with the Leanback launcher, there are larger considerations they must meet, such as being operable with a remote, and not just a mouse or touch, and being visible from typical viewing distances.

All of which YouView should be, and indeed is or was, being a 'TV app' from the ground up; but the difference between an app on a web browser and an app on a TV is not matterless.

As you would discover, if you ever tried to use the browser app on one of those Sony TVs.... :-)
    edited 2 March 2017, 11:16AM
    redchiz said:

Not ired at all, I agree, look at Apple TV and tvOS, designed for much the same purpose,
    edited 2 March 2017, 11:17AM
    redchiz said:

Not ired at all, I agree, look at Apple TV and tvOS, designed for much the same purpose.
  • jim1jim1 Posts: 60Member
    edited 19 March 2017, 5:33PM
    redchiz said:

What I was trying to get at was that the biggest annoyance vented is the change from list view to big picture icon view. Next is the annoyance that one of the very regularly used features of recording and watchign recorded programmes is many presses away. The comment was made before that it isn't a web page so it cannot be done. If it is HTML5, then from the point of view of being able to have a list view, is it not in effect a web page? HTML is a way of displaying information with hyperlinks between elements. Web pages have to cope with differences of PC and mobile, and give entirely different views of the same data using differences in their HTML. I would have thought that creating primarily textual and primarily icon based alternative views were an obvious use of this new-found freedom of using HTML5. Sorry if I am being stupid, but I don't see how the availabililty of apps is relevant. I cannot imagine wanting to use the slow processor of a TV to do anything productive. IMHO Smart TVs are anything but. In terms of cheese, remember the cheese shop sketch? Cheddar? “Well, I'm afraid we don't get much call for it around these parts”, according to YouView. But Cheddar is the single most popular cheese in the World, according to the sketch, and to many of those commenting on this forum. For Cheddar, read lists and menus. NB I wish to record that I do not support or condone the ultimate action of the thwarted cheese shopper, and would not wish to imply that this might be a good way to end this debate about the availability of a list view alternative menu ;) Sadly from the press release "the re-engineering and redesigning of its entire platform to respond quickly to the fast-changing needs and tastes of TV viewers, advertisers and partners." I fear that the first mentioned will be subservient to the other two. "The other benefits of the YouView upgrade include: * Less clicking and more watching with a new visual Main Menu from which viewers can launch all services" But from what I have been reading here and elsewhere, it is the same or more key presses, and you cannot launch all services from the main page (certainly not directly). Perhaps they don't want us to use the recording function as it allows advert skipping (until that is engineered out in a later update). They want us to use catch-up where advert skipping is impossible. Call me cynical, and I probably am, but I've been around long enough to have had several improvements to systems prove to be anything but that to the end user.
  • davseedavsee Posts: 46Member
    edited 19 March 2017, 5:33PM
    Laughable quote from rubbish email received today off Talktalk:
    "Last year we made a promise to bring you the best TV experience. We’ve now made things simpler and faster, giving you more flexibility to add and remove channels, and access to all the latest movies and most popular TV shows."
    Simpler and faster !!!??? New version is neither in my experience.
    Flexibility to add and remove channels - really? So why can't I hide channels anymore?
    Don't they ever read these forums and see what users really think?
  • acwacw Posts: 2Member
    edited 8 May 2017, 6:30AM
    Dave18 said:

Faster to load maybe but not much thought has gone in to making it faster to use.

The mini guide for on now, next and later often comes up with the wrong programmes. Eg you'll get ITV logo and BBC2 programmes.

As Keith mentions, the navigation to recordings is horrendous. You want to play a series of Recordings. At the end of each you only get the option of going to live tv. So then starts a long series of clicks to get to recordings in my tv - select the series and get taken to the most recent recording so then another long series of clicks or a long hold of the left arrow to get to the next one to be viewed. It's so easy with NowTV or Netflix that YouView looks very poor in comparison. And why are the programme titles and descriptions truncated. Why cannot you select a recording and get shown the full title and full description without having to press the info button each time.

The presentation and navigation need a lot more work before being released to all.

I agree that the new update is abysmal. I don't know why anyone would roll out such a pile of rubbish. Far harder to use than before. Scrolling left on the first screen doesn't work. Much less visible info on the screen because someone thinks a picture of what's recorded is needed. It's turned something that was quite good into a joke.
  • acwacw Posts: 2Member
    edited 11 April 2017, 5:18AM

Awful update. All pictures and v. little text. Slower to navigate. For example, in MyView instead of rows of text about each recording we have a giant thumbnail and about 3 rows and 5 columns of small thumbnails (by which I mean little pictures). Each thumbnail contains much less information than the row of text it replaced and it's slower to navigate between the pictures than the old rows of text. And why is the first thumbnail of each page larger than all the others? ridiculous.

If you've recorded more than a page worth it takes 3 button clicks to scroll down to page 2; it used to be 1 button click to scroll to the right. And why move next page to below rather than to the right? Yet another unnecessary change to learn.

Series records used to be better. Now when I choose a series I get a row of 5 identical episodes because the pretty pictures are identical and the truncated line of texts are identical so I can't quickly choose which episode to scroll to. E.g. "New: Detectorists". Before I would know the date, the channel and I think the time of day, can't remember. Now I can't quickly see which is oldest and which is newest. Plus 5 isn't enough. You've replaced about 10 rows (or was it more?) of episodes with 5 columns of useless pretty pictures.

After watching something on the last page I have to scroll all the way back  up through every page  to the first page instead of scrolling directly past last page to get to start.

Deleting watched programmes is now a chore. Now when I press stop after watching an episode of a series record I'm dropped out of the whole series. To delete that episode I have to navigate back into the series, remember which one I watched (don't forget, they all look the same now), scroll to it and delete it.

Guide
    -------
    It's less obvious which programme you've selected, light blue v dark blue once you've chosen your channel row.

Navigation is similar thank goodness, except one inexplicable change. If you scroll up from the top row to the previous (say channel 10 to channel 9) it works, but also scrolls the whole screen to show channel 8 at the top. You can never get back to your selected channel also being the top channel on the screen. This is an irritating change rather than crucial I admit.

Like MyView, you can no longer scroll beyond the last channel directly to the first. I know you can just type 1 and get there but why remove that function? More change for it's own sake. Do you actually believe all that marketing nonsense that new means fresher and better?

I may be wrong about this but before when you highlighted a programme it's start time was displayed somewhere on the screen. Now you only surmise the start time if you can physically see it or if you scroll back in time to it's beginning. Naff.

Summary
    ------------
    I could go on but I've only used it for 3 days. My overall impression is that you have gone for image at the expense of substance. It looks more suited to a touchscreen than to a keyboard based input.
    I'm a software developer of over 20 years so I'm old school. The cynic in me suspects you've allowed bearded, twenty-something 'hipsters' to design this and they can't think beyond thumb swipes and touch screens. It's a telly, not a smart phone you [delete the very rude adjectives] muppets!!

Totally agree. They are obviously employing a bunch of Monkeys to develop their software. I'd have been sacked if I ever produced anything as dire. No thought whatsoever and quite plainly very little testing.
    edited 8 March 2017, 8:22PM

Awful update. All pictures and v. little text. Slower to navigate. For example, in MyView instead of rows of text about each recording we have a giant thumbnail and about 3 rows and 5 columns of small thumbnails (by which I mean little pictures). Each thumbnail contains much less information than the row of text it replaced and it's slower to navigate between the pictures than the old rows of text. And why is the first thumbnail of each page larger than all the others? ridiculous.

If you've recorded more than a page worth it takes 3 button clicks to scroll down to page 2; it used to be 1 button click to scroll to the right. And why move next page to below rather than to the right? Yet another unnecessary change to learn.

Series records used to be better. Now when I choose a series I get a row of 5 identical episodes because the pretty pictures are identical and the truncated line of texts are identical so I can't quickly choose which episode to scroll to. E.g. "New: Detectorists". Before I would know the date, the channel and I think the time of day, can't remember. Now I can't quickly see which is oldest and which is newest. Plus 5 isn't enough. You've replaced about 10 rows (or was it more?) of episodes with 5 columns of useless pretty pictures.

After watching something on the last page I have to scroll all the way back  up through every page  to the first page instead of scrolling directly past last page to get to start.

Deleting watched programmes is now a chore. Now when I press stop after watching an episode of a series record I'm dropped out of the whole series. To delete that episode I have to navigate back into the series, remember which one I watched (don't forget, they all look the same now), scroll to it and delete it.

Guide
    -------
    It's less obvious which programme you've selected, light blue v dark blue once you've chosen your channel row.

Navigation is similar thank goodness, except one inexplicable change. If you scroll up from the top row to the previous (say channel 10 to channel 9) it works, but also scrolls the whole screen to show channel 8 at the top. You can never get back to your selected channel also being the top channel on the screen. This is an irritating change rather than crucial I admit.

Like MyView, you can no longer scroll beyond the last channel directly to the first. I know you can just type 1 and get there but why remove that function? More change for it's own sake. Do you actually believe all that marketing nonsense that new means fresher and better?

I may be wrong about this but before when you highlighted a programme it's start time was displayed somewhere on the screen. Now you only surmise the start time if you can physically see it or if you scroll back in time to it's beginning. Naff.

Summary
    ------------
    I could go on but I've only used it for 3 days. My overall impression is that you have gone for image at the expense of substance. It looks more suited to a touchscreen than to a keyboard based input.
    I'm a software developer of over 20 years so I'm old school. The cynic in me suspects you've allowed bearded, twenty-something 'hipsters' to design this and they can't think beyond thumb swipes and touch screens. It's a telly, not a smart phone you [delete the very rude adjectives] muppets!!

Hi acw, I would love to welcome you to the community, sadly I feel I can't. Constructive criticism is fair enough, your abuse is bang out of order. To be fair though perhaps you were just hitting the keyboard at random and if you carry on you may eventually come up with the works of Shakespeare.
  • Ciderspace666Ciderspace666 Posts: 3Member
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:35PM
    My box is still running the old software, it's the 710t model from talk talk. When I called talk talk in January they said it was due "soon". April is approaching and still there is no further info. Why is there such a hold up for that this particular box? Is it a really old model and is it (I fear) cauisng talktalk/YouView a few problems? I keep hoping perhaps they'll give up and have to send me a new shiny box, although of course I'll loose all my recordings :( Does anyone have any more info on when this box will be upgraded?
  • nick3nick3 Posts: 55Member
    edited 29 March 2017, 6:00PM

My box is still running the old software, it's the 710t model from talk talk. When I called talk talk in January they said it was due "soon". April is approaching and still there is no further info. Why is there such a hold up for that this particular box? Is it a really old model and is it (I fear) cauisng talktalk/YouView a few problems? I keep hoping perhaps they'll give up and have to send me a new shiny box, although of course I'll loose all my recordings :( Does anyone have any more info on when this box will be upgraded?

i may be wrong but im pretty sure i read some where on here and i mean one of the other threads i understand that talktalk may be holding back on the update as of all the negatives thats came out but like i said i may be wrong but im dam sure i did read it on a thread if i find the thread i will try and copy and pate it for you

read here ciderspace666 

[Discussion] Welcome to Next Generation YouView- TalkTalk Software Update 60.43.106 / 72.43.106

also have a read on this thread 

No box left behind?
    edited 29 March 2017, 6:06PM

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I'd read quite a bit of negative feedback so I suppose it's not impossible that TT are holding back. If we could just be given an inkling to when it might be released, it would be something...
    edited 29 March 2017, 6:47PM

Far from "holding back" TalkTalk were the first to go with NextGen on their Huawei boxes, it is only one particular model which is yet to be updated and the reasons for that are not known, you can fill your boots with speculation though.  :)
    edited 29 March 2017, 7:37PM

Presumably it's the oldest, slowest model I have... got to be an issue but yes, we can only speculate...