[Discussion] Welcome to Next Generation YouView- TalkTalk Software Update 60.43.106 / 72.43.106

15678911»

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 March 2017, 8:17PM

My box is still running the old software, it's the 710t model from talk talk. When I called talk talk in January they said it was due "soon". April is approaching and still there is no further info. Why is there such a hold up for that this particular box? Is it a really old model and is it (I fear) cauisng talktalk/YouView a few problems? I keep hoping perhaps they'll give up and have to send me a new shiny box, although of course I'll loose all my recordings :( Does anyone have any more info on when this box will be upgraded?

NextGen gives even the oldest, slowest, models a speed boost, as the HTML5 solution is inherently faster than the older Flash solution.

There may be some specific issues with this box though; it does seem that TalkTalk paused their earlier rollout until something troublesome was addressed, so there may well be some mismatch between this box and NextGen that will need a remedy before a full rollout.

Understand that this is pure speculation on my part, however.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • PhilipCPhilipC Posts: 3Member
    edited 8 May 2017, 1:30PM

Awful update. All pictures and v. little text. Slower to navigate. For example, in MyView instead of rows of text about each recording we have a giant thumbnail and about 3 rows and 5 columns of small thumbnails (by which I mean little pictures). Each thumbnail contains much less information than the row of text it replaced and it's slower to navigate between the pictures than the old rows of text. And why is the first thumbnail of each page larger than all the others? ridiculous.

If you've recorded more than a page worth it takes 3 button clicks to scroll down to page 2; it used to be 1 button click to scroll to the right. And why move next page to below rather than to the right? Yet another unnecessary change to learn.

Series records used to be better. Now when I choose a series I get a row of 5 identical episodes because the pretty pictures are identical and the truncated line of texts are identical so I can't quickly choose which episode to scroll to. E.g. "New: Detectorists". Before I would know the date, the channel and I think the time of day, can't remember. Now I can't quickly see which is oldest and which is newest. Plus 5 isn't enough. You've replaced about 10 rows (or was it more?) of episodes with 5 columns of useless pretty pictures.

After watching something on the last page I have to scroll all the way back  up through every page  to the first page instead of scrolling directly past last page to get to start.

Deleting watched programmes is now a chore. Now when I press stop after watching an episode of a series record I'm dropped out of the whole series. To delete that episode I have to navigate back into the series, remember which one I watched (don't forget, they all look the same now), scroll to it and delete it.

Guide
    -------
    It's less obvious which programme you've selected, light blue v dark blue once you've chosen your channel row.

Navigation is similar thank goodness, except one inexplicable change. If you scroll up from the top row to the previous (say channel 10 to channel 9) it works, but also scrolls the whole screen to show channel 8 at the top. You can never get back to your selected channel also being the top channel on the screen. This is an irritating change rather than crucial I admit.

Like MyView, you can no longer scroll beyond the last channel directly to the first. I know you can just type 1 and get there but why remove that function? More change for it's own sake. Do you actually believe all that marketing nonsense that new means fresher and better?

I may be wrong about this but before when you highlighted a programme it's start time was displayed somewhere on the screen. Now you only surmise the start time if you can physically see it or if you scroll back in time to it's beginning. Naff.

Summary
    ------------
    I could go on but I've only used it for 3 days. My overall impression is that you have gone for image at the expense of substance. It looks more suited to a touchscreen than to a keyboard based input.
    I'm a software developer of over 20 years so I'm old school. The cynic in me suspects you've allowed bearded, twenty-something 'hipsters' to design this and they can't think beyond thumb swipes and touch screens. It's a telly, not a smart phone you [delete the very rude adjectives] muppets!!

Echo SDM42. This is just a complete backward step. It replaces useful and succinct info pages with a load of unhelpful pictures.
  • ken grayken gray Posts: 1Member
    edited 24 April 2017, 4:44PM

My box is still running the old software, it's the 710t model from talk talk. When I called talk talk in January they said it was due "soon". April is approaching and still there is no further info. Why is there such a hold up for that this particular box? Is it a really old model and is it (I fear) cauisng talktalk/YouView a few problems? I keep hoping perhaps they'll give up and have to send me a new shiny box, although of course I'll loose all my recordings :( Does anyone have any more info on when this box will be upgraded?

Last night my stb was updated to the latest software and it is rubbish slow, tedious to navigate and far less readable. I now have to get out of my chair and stand in front of 40 inch television to read test camouflaged by distracting and unviewable mini pictures (they are too small to be useful) so my remote has become a near field device. Not impressed in my opinion not professional and if i had commissioned it i would have sent it back for a major rethink. If it is faster then this will be offset by the approach time remote in hand and the increased number of key depressions. It is my opinion that the tiled approach does not fit well with a remote and might just work better with a tablet or other touch screen device  but we have not got that option. contrast this interface with the youview application that i use on my mobile which is a brilliant bit of software graphics and all but that is touch screen of course. Think again and think long and hard about a redesign before customers revolt and go elsewhere. In my case it is even more annoying as I went out and bought a humax stb to get rid of the 2016 update to the bbc red button service in which the same approach (tiled) was taken.
  • Matthew3Matthew3 Posts: 18Member
    edited 21 April 2017, 7:08PM

No "Discover" or "Browse"

I'm gutted. As far as I was concerned the single most useful feature of the Youview 'old' interface was the ability to browse by category and then subcategory.

So....

Comedy.....then Improv....and bingo I found a load of old "Who's Line is it anyway" buried on C4".....

How about Lifestyle > Cooking - and look - some Keith Floyds.....

Browsing is NOT searching....there is no way I would have found these shows by searching.

I switched from Sky to Youview specifically for this function.

Please please can you re-instate this function (or tell me where to find it on the new menu)

Still waiting..
  • SarahSarah Posts: 482Administrator admin
    edited 24 April 2017, 11:09AM

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting on with the latest update to your box. 

Have you tried using the zoom feature on the remote to see the text bigger? You can do this for the main guide as well as in pop-up guide, players & apps, MyTV and Settings. 

In regards to where you said it was slow, do you mean that it takes longer for you to navigate to where you want to get to or that the box isn't processing fast enough/lagging behind your remote inputs?
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 307Member
    edited 24 April 2017, 11:20AM

The zoom is problematic on MyTV with component software 3.1.150.  It does not permit you to be zoomed and include the right most tiles of the page.  To view the right most tiles you need to come out of zoom, or not go into zoom mode to start with. 
    edited 24 April 2017, 12:36PM

Hi Yasha,

I've just checked on the box with the same version and although it does cut off the right most tiles on the screen, you can still navigate around the screen to reach the programmes which are cut off when you first zoom in. 
    • Press Zoom (this zooms you into the current screen)
    • Press Zoom again
    • Use the arrow buttons to navigate the tiles on the page
    • Press OK to stop using the arrow buttons to navigate
    • Use the arrow buttons to select the show/app you want to watch
    If you want to scroll around again, you just need to press Zoom again and you'll be able to use the arrow buttons to navigate around again. You can swap between Zoom and OK till you find what you want to watch :) 
  • looby loolooby loo Posts: 6Member
    edited 24 April 2017, 4:37PM

what about adding youtube to the apps section would be very nice to have

would love to see a youtube app :)
  • Simon19Simon19 Posts: 4Member
    edited 25 April 2017, 8:29AM
    I unfortunately have had to sign up just to register my dissatisfaction with the new Youview update which appeared on my BT box a few days ago. I have only used it a few times since, so only have some limited experience.
    I agree with many of the other posts regarding the issues, my primary issues are:
    - Interface is slower to navigate than before (which wasn't quick in any case). It requires more button presses and is less intuitive
    - Tiles for recordings is awful. It may save a button press or two, but that time is more than outweighed by scanning over and trying to figure out where the recording will have landed that time. This could potentially work better if the interface responded instantly (i.e. scrolling down a list is easier to predict than trying to do [enter the "tiles" - down 1 - right 2 etc.] to navigate the tiles) but I don't believe that is achievable. As has been said, pictures may look glossy, but a list of titles is a much more effective means of navigating a library.
    - Navigation of recordings seems to be an unforgivable mistake for an update that is forced upon the users. Do I want to press left 93 times to get to the next episode of a long running comedy series (and again to delete)? No. I am resigned to watching this series backwards for now, with the bonus of watching the last minute of the previous episode first which is always recorded by the following episode's file. Please at least add the option to roll round to the start by pressing right, similarly to the old interface.

I hope that Youview can swallow their pride a little and quickly bring in some options/changes to address the key issues that now make using the box irritating and tiresome. These will drive people, including myself, away when given the opportunity.
    Perhaps Youview can adopt a more widespread beta testing programme or similar for future updates. One of the stated benefits is that it enables faster roll out of updates - I hope they put this to the test.
    edited 25 April 2017, 8:30AM
    Simon19 said:

I unfortunately have had to sign up just to register my dissatisfaction with the new Youview update which appeared on my BT box a few days ago. I have only used it a few times since, so only have some limited experience.
    I agree with many of the other posts regarding the issues, my primary issues are:
    - Interface is slower to navigate than before (which wasn't quick in any case). It requires more button presses and is less intuitive
    - Tiles for recordings is awful. It may save a button press or two, but that time is more than outweighed by scanning over and trying to figure out where the recording will have landed that time. This could potentially work better if the interface responded instantly (i.e. scrolling down a list is easier to predict than trying to do [enter the "tiles" - down 1 - right 2 etc.] to navigate the tiles) but I don't believe that is achievable. As has been said, pictures may look glossy, but a list of titles is a much more effective means of navigating a library.
    - Navigation of recordings seems to be an unforgivable mistake for an update that is forced upon the users. Do I want to press left 93 times to get to the next episode of a long running comedy series (and again to delete)? No. I am resigned to watching this series backwards for now, with the bonus of watching the last minute of the previous episode first which is always recorded by the following episode's file. Please at least add the option to roll round to the start by pressing right, similarly to the old interface.

I hope that Youview can swallow their pride a little and quickly bring in some options/changes to address the key issues that now make using the box irritating and tiresome. These will drive people, including myself, away when given the opportunity.
    Perhaps Youview can adopt a more widespread beta testing programme or similar for future updates. One of the stated benefits is that it enables faster roll out of updates - I hope they put this to the test.

Post is not about the update on the thread

Please reference the new conversation here: Unhappy with new YouView update
  • davseedavsee Posts: 46Member
    edited 4 May 2017, 9:25PM
    Just put a bid in on ebay for a Youview box that hasn't had the update yet. If I'm lucky enough to win it then I will throw away my current NewGen box and use the OldGen but without the internet connected so it never updates. Really looking forward to getting back to a decent fully functioning UI. D
  • cctv cameracctv camera Posts: 3Member
    edited 29 May 2017, 5:48AM
    I've a DN372T that's not received the update. Any way I can force it? I've tried a factory reset and still no dice...
    edited 7 May 2017, 9:20PM

I've a DN372T that's not received the update. Any way I can force it? I've tried a factory reset and still no dice...

LOL - want to swap?
    edited 8 May 2017, 10:45AM

Posted on an old update thread

Please reference the new conversation here: Not received update yet
  • Barry EdwardsBarry Edwards Posts: 1Member
    edited 28 May 2017, 9:02PM

Awful update. All pictures and v. little text. Slower to navigate. For example, in MyView instead of rows of text about each recording we have a giant thumbnail and about 3 rows and 5 columns of small thumbnails (by which I mean little pictures). Each thumbnail contains much less information than the row of text it replaced and it's slower to navigate between the pictures than the old rows of text. And why is the first thumbnail of each page larger than all the others? ridiculous.

If you've recorded more than a page worth it takes 3 button clicks to scroll down to page 2; it used to be 1 button click to scroll to the right. And why move next page to below rather than to the right? Yet another unnecessary change to learn.

Series records used to be better. Now when I choose a series I get a row of 5 identical episodes because the pretty pictures are identical and the truncated line of texts are identical so I can't quickly choose which episode to scroll to. E.g. "New: Detectorists". Before I would know the date, the channel and I think the time of day, can't remember. Now I can't quickly see which is oldest and which is newest. Plus 5 isn't enough. You've replaced about 10 rows (or was it more?) of episodes with 5 columns of useless pretty pictures.

After watching something on the last page I have to scroll all the way back  up through every page  to the first page instead of scrolling directly past last page to get to start.

Deleting watched programmes is now a chore. Now when I press stop after watching an episode of a series record I'm dropped out of the whole series. To delete that episode I have to navigate back into the series, remember which one I watched (don't forget, they all look the same now), scroll to it and delete it.

Guide
    -------
    It's less obvious which programme you've selected, light blue v dark blue once you've chosen your channel row.

Navigation is similar thank goodness, except one inexplicable change. If you scroll up from the top row to the previous (say channel 10 to channel 9) it works, but also scrolls the whole screen to show channel 8 at the top. You can never get back to your selected channel also being the top channel on the screen. This is an irritating change rather than crucial I admit.

Like MyView, you can no longer scroll beyond the last channel directly to the first. I know you can just type 1 and get there but why remove that function? More change for it's own sake. Do you actually believe all that marketing nonsense that new means fresher and better?

I may be wrong about this but before when you highlighted a programme it's start time was displayed somewhere on the screen. Now you only surmise the start time if you can physically see it or if you scroll back in time to it's beginning. Naff.

Summary
    ------------
    I could go on but I've only used it for 3 days. My overall impression is that you have gone for image at the expense of substance. It looks more suited to a touchscreen than to a keyboard based input.
    I'm a software developer of over 20 years so I'm old school. The cynic in me suspects you've allowed bearded, twenty-something 'hipsters' to design this and they can't think beyond thumb swipes and touch screens. It's a telly, not a smart phone you [delete the very rude adjectives] muppets!!

Cannot understand why users are not able to customize their interface?
    edited 28 May 2017, 8:32PM

Guide
    -------

Summary
    ------------

YouView have quite enough trouble getting one interface to work sensibly, thank you.

But with luck and a following wind, they may get there in the next few months....
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • RoystonRoyston Posts: 1Member
    edited 28 May 2017, 9:18PM

The recordings screen doesn't allow a backward cycle (the old one did) so if I want to go to the end of my recordings I can't go backwards from screen one - I have to page through 14 pages! In other words, it's not cylindrical as the old one was - then you left arrow from the first page  and arrive smartly at the last.

Worse, if I select a recording I have already watched, I can no longer reset it back to the beginning using the double back arrow!  It no longer presents the screen which facilitates this function going instead straight to play  so I have to back it up manually by continously pressing the double reverse button. You can't even hold it down - you have to repeatedly press it.

These are basic errors which even the most rudimentary testing should have revealed. You should be ashamed to turn this out and rely on the users to find errors which should never have seen the light of day. If this isn't fixed pronto (and I still remember the time it took to fix the Drama channel number switch) i'm out citing breach of contract 'not fit for purpose'. And my line speed has dropped 10 mbs in the last month (28 to 18) so this will be the last straw. And I still get calls from the Philippines telling me I have a problem.
    edited 28 May 2017, 9:20PM

Interesting point you raised there Royston - Do we have the 'Breach of Contract' get out option? Anyone know the legalities on this?
    edited 4 December 2017, 7:23AM

The lack of backwards cycling has been noted. The fastest way to the end of your 14 pages is to press and hold P(rogramme) Down.

The 'fly back to beginning' option on a part-watched recording is now to hold down the OK button. There is a message to this effect.

The decision was taken by YouView and its partners to release NextGen in its new but incomplete state, rather than wait until it was complete.

You may well disagree with this decision, as I did, particularly in the light of there being no straightforward option for YouView users to defer it.

Claiming Breach of Contract will enable you, perhaps, to leave your contract with TalkTalk without penalty, though you will need to cite chapter and verse as to what clause(s) in which contract(s) they have broken.

But then where will you be? Looking for a broadband supplier.

And looking for a replacement for your TalkTalk YouView box, be it YouView or something else, or still being stuck with NextGen on your current TalkTalk box.

I fancy claiming that accepting the YouView T&Cs which say they can change out the software on you implies a duty of care not to do this to your detriment, and your detriment under these circumstances is a tort, and the only resolution you will accept is for YouView to put you back how you were.

Shouldn't cost you more than your house, a few years of your life, and possibly your sanity, to get there.....
  • scott said:

No "Discover" or "Browse"

I'm gutted. As far as I was concerned the single most useful feature of the Youview 'old' interface was the ability to browse by category and then subcategory.

So....

Comedy.....then Improv....and bingo I found a load of old "Who's Line is it anyway" buried on C4".....

How about Lifestyle > Cooking - and look - some Keith Floyds.....

Browsing is NOT searching....there is no way I would have found these shows by searching.

I switched from Sky to Youview specifically for this function.

Please please can you re-instate this function (or tell me where to find it on the new menu)

They have stated this is missing but will be reinstated soon :-
    MyTV is only available on YouView + boxes. Boxes without recording functionality won't have access to this feature.

There are a few features that are not yet available, but rest assured they will be making their debut again soon:

Discover
    Edit Channels, find out more
    Action Panel

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

How soon soon is though is another question all together....
    Scott - I've not got discover back as yet....do you have any idea if this is coming back?
    Steve
    Scott - I've not got discover back as yet....do you have any idea if this is coming back?
    Steve
    Which Huawei TalkTalk box have you got, Steve?

You don’t say, and I am disinclined to plough back through your posting history to find this out  :|

But if you look at this page, find your Huawei, and then click/tap on the latest version being rolled out to, this will tell you if Discover is in it or not.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 861Member ✭✭
    Roy said:

...if you look at this page, find your Huawei, and then click/tap on the latest version being rolled out to, this will tell you if Discover is in it or not.
     I don't understand what you're saying here @Roy.
    All TalkTalk boxes should have Next-Gen.
    Next-Gen doesn't have Discover.
    ???
    jimb said:
    Roy said:

...if you look at this page, find your Huawei, and then click/tap on the latest version being rolled out to, this will tell you if Discover is in it or not.
     I don't understand what you're saying here @Roy.
    All TalkTalk boxes should have Next-Gen.
    Next-Gen doesn't have Discover.
    ???
    Yet.

At least we hope it is ‘NextGen doesn’t have Discover yet’.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for life.

I was teaching Steve how to fish.

Results may not be immediate, but showing him how to discover Discover, so to speak, means he can check for himself whenever he wants, rather than relying on the kindness of strangers  :p
  • jimbjimb Posts: 861Member ✭✭
15678911»