[Discussion] Welcome to Next Generation YouView- TalkTalk Software Update 60.43.106 / 72.43.106

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,341Member, Champion mod
    edited 19 March 2017, 5:18PM
    jimb said:

TalkTalk have stated that "... we have 150,000 TalkTalk TV households now enjoying the new experience in time for Christmas."

I wonder if they can also put a figure on the number of customers they have who have received this update but are so far not enjoying their new experience ;-)

More seriously though, 150k TalkTalk boxes now on the new software suggests they have only transitioned about 10% of their user base (which is apparently about 1.3m) so far in about 3 weeks. One would assume the pace of the roll out might pick up after Christmas otherwise it is going to taken them about another 6 months to get it to all their users.
  • jhnjhn Posts: 13Member
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

TalkTalk have stated that "... we have 150,000 TalkTalk TV households now enjoying the new experience in time for Christmas."

Like they have asked 150,000 customers for their feedback.  Not!  Why do they promulgate such lies / spin?
  • jimbjimb Posts: 861Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:57PM
    From the TalkTalk trials forum:
    We haven't done any recent software updates for trialists as we've been focused on roll out and fixing the issues that have already been raised. We're still collecting feedback and appreciate trialists reporting any issues that they see via the usual methods. We're now in change freeze, so the next update will be in January. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

As we have frequently found with autocorrect, this can easily transpose 'now' for 'not' :-)
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,360Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    jimb said:

Come on jimb, you know we like a bit of sauce with the chips. 
    edited December 2016
    jhn said:

I see the message:  "No scheduled recordings.

To record a programme, select it in the Guide or Mini Guide and press Record on your remote control.  These programmes are stored in Recordings."

I know I have at least 20 scheduled recordings set up, and those that are scheduled do actually record and store on the box, their thumbnail appearing in the Recordings heading when recorded.

Can't work out why the scheduled programmes were present as thumbnails in the Scheduled heading for a couple of days after the upgrade then disappeared.  That included both old schedules before the upgrade and newer ones set after the upgrade.

Was there an upgrade to the upgrade a couple of days later which removed the thumbnails from the Scheduled heading?  When can we expect them back?

I don't hold out much hope for long suffering customers if the so-called beta testers failed to point out all the faults present with the upgrade.  If they did then why did the Youview and TalkTalk teams ignore their comments?

I reckon TalkTalk should give us a rebate on our monthly charges until Youview sort the problems that have been foisted on us.  We are now receiving a far inferior service since the unasked for upgrade.  I also reckon Ofcom and whoever regulates broadcasting should also get involved.

Any lawyers out there that want to launch a class action against both TalkTalk and Youview for breach of contract?  

I don't think the issue you have with Scheduled Recordings is generic, or I think there would be more than just you reporting it, and I haven't seen that.

Doesn't make it any less real, or any less severe, for you though - I realise that.

But are you saying, as I think you are, that the Schedules are still present and being actioned, so it is just the display that is failing?

What happens if you now schedule a new recording - does that appear or not?

And have you tried a soft reset - while not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby button on the left of the box fascia (or the centre ring if this is a black T1000, though I don't think it will be) for just over 8 seconds and let it soft reboot.

This may fix things for you, with luck.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    jhn said:

To record a programme, select it in the Guide or Mini Guide and press Record on your remote control.  These programmes are stored in Recordings."

I know I have at least 20 scheduled recordings set up, and those that are scheduled do actually record and store on the box, their thumbnail appearing in the Recordings heading when recorded.

Can't work out why the scheduled programmes were present as thumbnails in the Scheduled heading for a couple of days after the upgrade then disappeared.  That included both old schedules before the upgrade and newer ones set after the upgrade.

Was there an upgrade to the upgrade a couple of days later which removed the thumbnails from the Scheduled heading?  When can we expect them back?

I don't hold out much hope for long suffering customers if the so-called beta testers failed to point out all the faults present with the upgrade.  If they did then why did the Youview and TalkTalk teams ignore their comments?

I reckon TalkTalk should give us a rebate on our monthly charges until Youview sort the problems that have been foisted on us.  We are now receiving a far inferior service since the unasked for upgrade.  I also reckon Ofcom and whoever regulates broadcasting should also get involved.

Any lawyers out there that want to launch a class action against both TalkTalk and Youview for breach of contract?  

Hi jhn,

Sorry you're experiencing this issue. I've checked and this is a known bug. We've been investigating it and are testing the bug against a new build. We'll keep you posted on the progress. 
    edited December 2016
    jhn said:

I guess the soft reset won't do much good then :-(
  • jhnjhn Posts: 13Member
    edited December 2016
    While appreciating the response it still does not explain the forced release to 150,000 customers now experiencing a worse service, especially before Xmas.  If Youview intended sorting the bugs by the January upgrade, why could we not have been sent the upgrade until then like BT customers.  Seems like BT had more sense than TalkTalk in insisting on a delay for their customers.  TalkTalk trying to steal a march on BT has certainly backfired don't you think!  When will TalkTalk ever learn never to be first in adopting new tech - even if they think it is for the best of reasons.  First release of any new / updated tech is ALWAYS an extension to beta-testing.  I know as I was involved in the tech side of the company I used to work for.
  • davseedavsee Posts: 46Member
    edited 19 March 2017, 5:20PM
    I've had the new UI now for 3-4 weeks and still hate it. I'm sorry to say I can't see a single function or feature that is improved over the old version. It isn't even any faster (as promised). Is there anyone (customers rather than YV/BT/TT employees) out there that actually likes it?
    So many functions are more difficult to use or, even worst, not there anymore. 
    Can we hope that there may be an update soon that gives us the option to revert to a text based version similar to the old UI rather than the silly messy unhelpful picture based system that we have forced upon us?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    davsee said:

I've had the new UI now for 3-4 weeks and still hate it. I'm sorry to say I can't see a single function or feature that is improved over the old version. It isn't even any faster (as promised). Is there anyone (customers rather than YV/BT/TT employees) out there that actually likes it?
    Can we hope that there may be an update soon that gives us the option to revert to a text based version similar to the old UI rather than the silly messy unhelpful picture based system that we have forced upon us?

''Is there anyone (customers rather than YV/BT/TT employees) out there that actually likes it?'' 
    Yes. Me.
    But can you be more specific with your criticism rather than just panning it generally?  
  • Smiler141Smiler141 Posts: 1Member
    edited 19 March 2017, 5:21PM
    Just a few observations (+ & -) on the new TalkTalk YouView update... spoke to a YouView chap on the phone and I understand most of this functionality will return in Jan17?
    + looks more modern / colourful / engaging
    - style over substance - huge loss of functionality!
    - can't sort recorded progs A-Z
    - can't view recorded progs in 'list' format
    - can't see full prog names on MyView - frustrating as if prog starts with 'New - ...' you can't see very much, and have to keep pressing 'info' to get the full prog name - more clicks, wastes time!
    - can't view 'more episodes' on recorded progs, and therefore can't go directly to relevant 'TV player' to watch 'missing' episodes - most annoying, especially when the TV player isn't very instinctive
    - when recorded prog has been watched, it brings you back to a view where you're in danger of deleting ALL recorded episodes, rather than the one you've just watched (did it a few times without realising!) aaargh!
    - can't hide TV channels anymore (blame the husband for unhiding after update!)
  • Philip BradburyPhilip Bradbury Posts: 2Member
    edited 19 March 2017, 5:21PM
    The more people comment the more useless this update is proving to be. The best course of action would be a reissue of the old software so we could, once again, enjoy using one of the easiest to operate and versatile boxes on the market.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I imagine that TalkTalk released this very much a work in progress NextGen YouView so they could leverage their changes to the specific TalkTalk area.

But none of you have commented on that bit. What's your feedback there?
    edited December 2016
    davsee said:

Oh dear; in the interests of balance, Visionman, it looks like we are going to need you to be more specific with why you like it, rather than just praising it generally....
  • scottscott Posts: 1,634Member ✭✭
    edited 4 January 2017, 4:41PM
    davsee said:

Personally I think it is a fresher more modern, less obtrusive design that lets you get to what you want quicker with the ability to change and move much faster due to the html5 backbone. That said I 100% agree that TalkTalk have launched this at least 2 months early before 'some' of the missing functionality and fine tuning has been done. Again even when BT and Retail launch I know there will still be some issues outstanding that people will complain about but we can at least hope the higher priority issues could be fixed. MyTV is very much a work in progress and that is where the majority of the issues lie.
    edited December 2016
    davsee said:

^Totally this. Now if its allowable, I'd like the user, if at all possible, to answer my gentle query. 
    edited 4 January 2017, 4:42PM
    davsee said:

How can I be more specific when I clearly said that there was NOTHING in the new UI that, to me, was better than the old one. Everything is more difficult to access requiring more button presses and scrolling up/down/left/right. I accept that it looks more modern but that doesn't mean it's better. 'Style over substance' someone else said - perfect description.
    edited December 2016
    davsee said:

Question for Scott:  "....lets you get to what you want quicker..." I'd really like you to give example of anything that you can now get to quicker please.
    edited 2 May 2017, 1:23PM
    This new iteration is a work in progress to say the least.But its not half as bad as people are making on here.
    You know what though? Lots of users said the current gen platform was rubbish as well.
    Oh, how hindsight has such a different view....

What do you all think about the specific new TalkTalk area?
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

This new iteration is a work in progress to say the least.But its not half as bad as people are making on here.
    You know what though? Lots of users said the current gen platform was rubbish as well.

What specific TalkTalk area?
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

I'm not biting. You know full well what I'm talking about.
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

To be played back with a straight bat, I think, Visionman :-)

It's called 'More TV', redchiz.

I think it comes up even if you are not a subscriber, so you can press your nose up against the window and gaze at all the goodies on show.

If you are a subscriber though, then if this is an area on your box you haven't noticed, then you are missing out :-(
    edited December 2016
    davsee said:

Quicker and slicker, not necessarily less button presses. So as soon as I turn the box on I can straight away see what is on the main PSB and premium channel and go to them (SD only which is a problem I hope will get fixed soon). 1 across and I can get to the players another move across and I can see my most recent recordings and get to them all while still watching the channel I was watching on more than half the screen. The biggest improvement in speed is getting to certain catch-up and premium content (not sure I can talk about this yet so I won't).
    I know this is all personal preference and I also stated before that I thought this was released to the (talktalk) public while there were still some major missing functionality but I was told it was just me having a downer on talktalk.
    The major advantage of this update is the speed of fixes and updates but we will only see this as we move forward. Unfortunately I know a lot of people won't like this (I was undecided for quite some time) but the hard fact is YouView needed to change to a more useable base or they would just fall further behind others.
    edited December 2016
    davsee said:

Yes; I have noticed that pointing out that the Emperor, while not entirely naked, is still decidedly trouserless and his jacket, while much more colourful than before, still needs buttons, lapels and the cuffs sewing up before the next State Occasion, is a curiously unpopular viewpoint :-)
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

Thanks Roy, if that's what VM meant then it's not specific to TalkTalk, so I remain puzzled.
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

Ooh no, it very much is, I am told.

There is apparently a great deal more freedom for customisation, and for greater integration of the ISP content with the YouView content, in NextGen.

And this means BT and TT can take very different presentation paths with their YouView offerings in future.

BT haven't launched yet, so we don't know what their plans are, but I assumed that TalkTalk's indecent haste to get NextGen out to its guinea pigs, sorry, subscribers, was so they could enjoy the fruits of what TalkTalk had already prepared for them in this area.

Am I wrong?
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

I can assure you 'more tv' is TalkTalk specific as is it contents and how it handles them...other isp's will deal with it a different way ;-) and I presume Retail just will have nothing there...
    In the other thread talktalk have said something about incorporating its boosts into MyTV in the future, not sure quite what that will mean I presume MyTV will become a deeper section than purely just your recordings (and scheduled recordings), again not sure if I prefer a separate section for other tv things but I suppose time will tell on that one.
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

Well OK, but as far as I can see it doesn't amount to much other than moving the TalkTalk Player out of the Players & Apps screen into a separate section, much the same will happen with BT I imagine. So the content is specific, yes, but no more so than previously.

edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

Sort of, if you look around you will see the images of the updated HTML5 BT player. So it is slightly more than just a lift and shift for BT.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-world-firs...