YouView developing voice controlled TV experience with Amazon Alexa

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,286Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 June 2017
    Two years ago (God that long ago?) After trying the Sony Voice remote, I loved it and so I suggested and recommended Voice for the box, when the technology became suitably reliable, widely available and commercially viable (it wasn't back then). So this (one presumes) must be the least cost available option. But not for the user. I actually asked for a box Voice remote (RCU), knowing my request was years away. But this is still a good move forward.   
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,278Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 June 2017
    I am not sure what your Sony did, or what YouView have got planned. What would you expect a voice remote to do? And what does Alexa do for Fire TV now? That latter is a more open question, of course.
    edited 9 June 2017
    I can only talk about the Sony remote. On search, instead of using the abc keys on the remote, one simply states what you want to watch, and it appears with a list of other options, all tiled. Its pretty nifty and if an RCU (remote control unit) could be added to YouView (box) it would be a big plus.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017
    That's me buying a amazon echo. Next generation keeps getting better and better. Fantastic news.
    edited 9 June 2017
    Visionman, if it is a question of just search, then I have to say that sounds similar to what I recently saw and was impressed with regarding the Sky Q touch remote. Which as far as I can tell needed no infrastructure other than its own.
    edited 9 June 2017
    Daniel4 said:

That's me buying a amazon echo. Next generation keeps getting better and better. Fantastic news.

Daniel, you buy everything!  :-)
    edited 9 June 2017
    Daniel4 said:

Sounds about right lol
    edited 9 June 2017
    Only the owners of Sky Q on here can comment on that.
    edited 9 June 2017
    Sorry if my point seemed oblique and you are quite right of course that only users can comment in detail. So what are the capabilities of the Sony remote you mentioned, just for info?
  • scottscott Posts: 1,614Member ✭✭
    edited 10 June 2017
    Sky Q voice search works well but does only search for programmes, it doesn't actually control the box yet and you have to physically press a button and speak into the touch control (which I had put straight in a draw as I hate it - the standard remote which you get as well and I had been using doesn't have this feature on).
    edited 9 June 2017
    scott said:

Sky Q voice search works well but does only search for programmes, it doesn't actually control the box yet and you have to physically press a button and speak into the touch control (which I had put straight in a draw as I hate it - the standard remote which you get as well and I had been using doesn't have this feature on).

Cheers scott, strange that you "hate it," do expand! 
    edited 10 June 2017
    There are two remotes supplied with a Sky Q silver.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 12,977Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 June 2017
    redchiz said:

Yeah, I agree about accessibility and generally moving forwards, but tying it into a particular device/system, why? Will you have to buy an Echo Dot as a minimum in order to get this feature?

Obtain, certainly, though I expect BT and TT will add them to their offerings at £1-£2 a month.

But I expect many people have already got a few Dotted about....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited 9 June 2017
    redchiz said:

Yeah, I agree about accessibility and generally moving forwards, but tying it into a particular device/system, why? Will you have to buy an Echo Dot as a minimum in order to get this feature?

Well Amazon do call one a dot after all so if people have few dotted about that's no surprise.
    edited 9 June 2017
    redchiz said:

I am not sure what your Sony did, or what YouView have got planned. What would you expect a voice remote to do? And what does Alexa do for Fire TV now? That latter is a more open question, of course.

I'll try and let you know tomorrow, about Alexa on the Amazon Firestick at least, when the sofas are dry.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited 9 June 2017
    Visionman said:

Only the owners of Sky Q on here can comment on that.

Says the guy who spent several years commenting on YouView before ever getting it :-)
    edited 9 June 2017
    redchiz said:

Really Roy, apart from you and Daniel with your 300 devices between you? I don't know anybody outside of these forums who has even heard of them, pun intended.
    edited 9 June 2017
    Visionman said:

Um, and?
    edited 9 June 2017
    Roy1 said:

Alexa, hide Channel 22!

Hiding any channel would be a bonus at present.
    edited 10 June 2017
    Visionman said:

Dunno.
    edited 10 June 2017
    scott said:

I don't like the touch pad, trying to ff/rew and navigate it goes all over the place and not where I want it to, very frustrating.
    edited 10 June 2017
    Visionman said:

Is that a question or a statement?
    Yes you get two remotes supplied, a touch Bluetooth remote and a full button infrared one, I can only assume they knew a lot of people wouldn't get on with the touch remote.
    edited 10 June 2017
    redchiz said:

Really, I know lots of people with them (me included)
    edited 10 June 2017
    Visionman said:

The 1TB box comes with just a single, standard remote.
    edited 10 June 2017
    redchiz said:

Bizarre that you got a"like" for that!
    edited 10 June 2017
    redchiz said:

Number one gift last Xmas I understand, redchiz.

What did you get, an orange and some socks? :-)
    edited 10 June 2017
    redchiz said:

Daniel, as often, you leave me bemused :-)
    edited 10 June 2017
    redchiz said:

Look, I stand by what I said. And I am glad at least to have made my point without mocking anyone.
    edited 10 June 2017
    redchiz said:

Picked up the FireStick remote, pressed the mic button, said 'Man in the High Castle', and it turned on, turned on the soundbar, turned on the TV, switched to the correct HDMI input, displayed a choice of the series in HD or UHD.

But could I get it to actually play an episode by voice alone?

That seems to be tomorrow's lesson :-)
    edited 11 June 2017
    redchiz>
    "Yeah, I agree about accessibility and generally moving forwards, but tying it into a particular device/system, why? Will you have to buy an Echo Dot as a minimum in order to get this feature?"
    Moving forward, due to changes to and in BT TVs ecosystem, BT did the same tie-up with Chromecast, so their users could continue receiving BT Sport. So such tie-ups are not unusual.