[Discussion] BT software update 28.26.0

1789101113»

Comments

• RobertRobert Posts: 184Member ✭✭
    edited 8 October 2017
    Obviously BT or Youview would be unable to answer those questions as things can change quite quickly and dramatically in testing etc as those of us who are doing just that can testify to.
    As for BT swapping boxes, I know of 8 people personally who have had boxes changed within the past 10 days simply by calling up and noting their concerns/issues. Not one of them told me they had any hassles getting their replacements sorted. In fact 2 of the guys said they had gone in with the attitude of having to fight their corner and were sorted in around 5-10mins with no arguments offered by BT to their request. Of course some people could be unlucky and get the stubborn call centre rep who doesn't want to be as forthcoming and cause an argument with the customer when none should be necessary. At the end of the day the opportunity is now there to avail of a better spec box without extending your contract, as such it's a no brainer, no need to pursue the line of the T1000s getting certain updates when a better box can be had instead with no cost or comittment to the customer.
    Obviously I can't answer for BT as to why the retail boxes have taken so long to be updated to 28.26.0, and I agree it shouldn't take so long to do so, that is definitely something which was meant to be improved in Next Gen but definitely hasn't been the case, but the following update for BT boxes has been receiving some tweaks in testing of late, hence my optimism in the software being released sooner rather than later. As for the BT branded T1000, like I say, the most sensible thing to do is take the opportunity that has now arisen from it not being updated, to get a brand new faster and more reliable T2100.
    BT have never been known for their speed in getting updates out but I find it encouraging to see them taking testing for their own boxes a bit more seriously than might have been the case in the past (from my experience at least).

Robert
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 229Member
    Ta for that.  Good to hear BT have improved that response attitude from when I first contacted them.  To be fair after YouView referred one of my posts to them they did change my box and more.

But surely BT or YouView should be either rolling out that change or actively contacting DTRT-1000 users to proactively change those boxes.  They just know DTRT-1000s are never going to get Old Gen functionality restored.  
    Agreed, I also don't see why BT/Youview don't just take the 'hit' and contact T1000 customers and offer them a direct swap. You would imagine supplying current T1000 owners with the better spec T2100 would help keep down the complaints/expectations of those particular customers. Personally, if I owned a T1000 and was nearing the end of a contract, I think I'd be seriously contemplating the alternative suppliers out there. However, were BT to give me a new T2100 I'd be less likely to be considering those same options. It makes business sense to me but maybe not to them.
    Robert
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,286Member ✭✭✭
    Steve K said:
    Robert said:
    As @Visionman says, a polite call to BT will get you a free (no new contract required) T2100 which is indeed a very solid and reliable piece of kit. It's been mentioned on the BT forums that people who have enquired have had their boxes swapped out with no hassle involved.

That may have once been the case when BT thought there'd only be a few to replace before YouView fixed the missing functions for all boxes but they soon changed their line to "take the problem to YouView"  
    I'm sorry Steve but thats just not true.
    Visionman said:
    Steve K said:
    Robert said:
    As @Visionman says, a polite call to BT will get you a free (no new contract required) T2100 which is indeed a very solid and reliable piece of kit. It's been mentioned on the BT forums that people who have enquired have had their boxes swapped out with no hassle involved.

That may have once been the case when BT thought there'd only be a few to replace before YouView fixed the missing functions for all boxes but they soon changed their line to "take the problem to YouView"  
    I'm sorry Steve but thats just not true.
    Except as you know I posted the evidence that it very much was true
    K said:

Time to write another observation of a fault that I have witnessed in this infested NewGen software a few times bit not yet reported.

Scenario:

1, Choose a program that is one for many hours (eg, a Formula 1 GP race) and schedule it to record.  Note: I dont know if this step (to record it) is important - its just that I always am and dont know any different.

2,  Watch the program though the LIVE feed anyway (do NOT watching the recording in MyTV, we are watching the LIVE broadcast.)

3,  Several hours in to watching the program (Im guessing over 2 hours) attempt to use the 15second ¦<<  rewind to replay the last 15 seconds.

Results:  It doesnt work!!!  It simply stutters a little and continues to show the live feed.  The ability to rewind/reply the last 15 seconds (or even further) has failed.  Its as though it is now no longer recording the live feed to rewind.

HOWEVER:  pressing PAUSE and creating a buffer for a few seconds, then play (from the buffer) and THEN press ¦<< 15 sec rewind DOES correctly rewind.   But then pressing STOP to resume live broadcast returns back to the problem.

Conclusion:  after a long period (eg after 2 hours) the 15seconds rewind during live viewing fails to work.

Fao:YouView And/Or Sarah ,Please see myPosting ABOVE ,I Look forward too your Reply.
    Well was there ever a reply?  Can't find one

Having finally fired up my DTRT-2100 with 28.26 I can confirm this fault very much does exist and is extremely annoying.  I can report further symptoms:
    - the fast rewind works but is limited to 2x
    - if after that slow winding back you ever hit the 60 second jump forward then it jumps to the very latest point in the buffer
    - never saw this happen on either Old Gen or DTRT-1000 with 27.50

And of course because no jump to replay point function in order to get to the 8.26 local news showing on BBC Breakfast I reverted to the recording I parallel made on Sky.  

So 28.26 has made my YouView even more an only if no other option available recorder.

Happy to conduct reasonable experiments to investigate further
  • SarahSarah Posts: 421Administrator admin
    Hi @Steve K

I replied to K's message as we needed more detail however they didn't respond unfortunately so we weren't able to assist further. K's issue was to do with the box freezing as they when they select delete after watching a recording. I assume you're referring to Grunders' post rather than K's issue from the info you have provided in your post. 

We did log the feedback regarding this issue from Grunders and I'll take the details you've provided here as well to add to what we have already as it helps with testing.

Thanks a lot,
    Sarah

Thanks Sarah
    Say if you want more details or me to do the multiple request to ID the box to you
    edited 12 October 2017
    Have you ever thought about becoming a trialist as you seem quite keen?
    I did make that suggestion to Steve in the not too distant past when he had all the issues with his old box. I've found the trialing process to have improved in more recent times and suggested it would be worth his consideration. No feedback is bad feedback, so long as it's constructive and in context.

Robert
    Visionman said:
    Have you ever thought about becoming a trialist as you seem quite keen?
    The honest truth is no however I am very keen to see YouView become the top level PVR it could and should be. 

Sadly my Active use of the YouView box has now fallen so low I doubt I could put in sufficient meaningful useful input.  It took me 5 weeks to feel it worth the effort to change the  DTRT-1000 for the 2100 that just sat on a table that time (because of my complex installation 3 hours were needed).  

If after reading that someone still feels I could be useful in that way then please PM me.

You know all these faults you've brought up? They are all ready being looked into. Thats the only reason I mentioned it. And that T2100 you've got now is a superb piece of kit. Only a 1000S matches it.
    A T2000, T2100, T2110 or 1000S are really the only ones to go for and have been for years, due to the solidity of what they offer. 
    Robert said:
    I did make that suggestion to Steve in the not too distant past when he had all the issues with his old box. I've found the trialing process to have improved in more recent times and suggested it would be worth his consideration. No feedback is bad feedback, so long as it's constructive and in context.
    Agreed. I'm also liking the more commutative public posts which keeps the platform and the team(s) more in touch with their users. Strangely, TalkTalk have just shut up. 
    Visionman said:
    You know all these faults you've brought up? They are all ready being looked into. Thats the only reason I mentioned it. And that T2100 you've got now is a superb piece of kit. Only a 1000S matches it.
    A T2000, T2100, T2110 or 1000S are really the only ones to go for and have been for years, due to the solidity of what they offer. 
    But here's the thing, outside of the trialist circle the communication from YouView does nothing to build confidence in either the product or the brand.  If that fault is really being looked into why no statement from YouView as to whether they have been able to replicate it or even diagnose it and heaven forbid a commitment to roll out a fix in the next update due before the end of Whateverember

It's not like they don't have a forum for making such announcements is it?  The lack of communication on this and other issues just communicates denial and that is really going to harm the brand.
    The truth is - Tough. No platform gives info like that. But you've been invited to take part in it. Twice. No ones holding a gun to your head. 

This is the best platform out there. Period.
    No platform will reveal what is in testing or otherwise to the general public. Essentially, the same NDA that applies to trialists also applies to the development team etc. The only time you will ever get public statements is when public release software is ready for roll out.
    Robert
    Visionman said:
    The truth is - Tough. No platform gives info like that. But you've been invited to take part in it. Twice. No ones holding a gun to your head. 

This is the best platform out there. Period.
    Rather than divert the thread further will send a PM

Steve K said:
    Thanks Sarah
    Say if you want more details or me to do the multiple request to ID the box to you
    One more detail:  the issue occurs even if the recording is of another channel than the one in the live pause buffer
    Further update:  the Live Pause buffer failure if recording does not occur on 27.50 (swapped the boxes back to test it)

Hopefully the mooted as imminent 28.35 fixes this as right now for my use (and this can't be rare) 28.26 is a further serious retrograde step
1789101113»