How to use the new YouView Community Forum

SarahSarah Posts: 421Administrator admin

Welcome to the new YouView forum!

This thread is here to give you a little tour around so you know where everything is.

Create an account

New to the YouView community? Let’s get you started.

Select the Sign in/Register button and you’ll be taken to the Sign in page. Click on ‘Create One’ to make a new account. Here we will ask for a few details such as your new Username, email address and a password.

Your email address and passwords will always remain private however your Username will be publically visible on your profile and your Username will always appear next to your posts. This can be changed afterwards if you need to.

When creating an account, please ensure there’s no phone numbers, postcodes or other personal information which you do not wish to be public in your Username. Accounts created with any information like this may be changed by a moderator.

User Panel

This is your user panel. Here you can see your notifications, private messages and bookmarked threads. If you click on your user name, you get a drop down where you can view and edit your profile and sign out.

Create a post

To start your own post, you can click ‘Start a Topic’ on the home page. This will take you to a new page where you can create a post. Before you can submit your post, it needs to have a title, some text in the main text box and a category selected.

Posts are created using a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor and you can add extras like emojis, attachments, hyperlinks and photos using the icons above the text box. You can also embed videos (YouTube, Vimeo, Vine & Wistia), tweets, images from Pinterest and Instagram and music from Soundcloud. These are all super simple to do, copy & paste the full URL (including https://) into the text box. You can also copy & paste images from other websites directly into the text box as well. All this content needs to be in line with our Community Guidelines.

Tags

Tags are a great way to help you find all threads relating to a certain topic in the same place. You can see our most popular tags here. When creating a post, you can add tags to your post in the ‘Tags’ bar underneath the main text box. To add the tag, just add the word or phrase and press enter. You can add multiple tags to one post. Please note that any inappropriate tags or tags containing personal information will be removed.

Categories

Categories are on the right hand of the page so you can get to the section you want to read or post in as quickly as possible.

Help – This section is for users who need support for an issue they are experiencing or if they want to ask a question.

Announcements – Here’s where you’ll find all our official announcements for software updates, new features or any service issues which may pop up from time to time. Only YouView staff can author posts in this section but all users can comment.

News – This is where both staff and users can post informative articles which may be of interest to other users in the YouView community.

Discussion – This is a great place for users to talk about anything and everything, YouView related or not.

Feedback – Have you found a bug lurking in your box you want to report or have an idea about a feature you’d like to see on YouView? This is the place to do it!

Featured Topics

Underneath this we have our Featured Topics which is usually where you’ll find our update posts, service issue posts and any tips we want to highlight for our users. This section can be collapsed so that if you’ve seen them, you can minimise them to bring the Recent Discussions further up the page.

Recent Discussions

Recent Discussions will display all recent posts from any category however they will all have a tab on them so you can easily see what category it has been posted in. If you click the bookmark on the right, this will save the page for you so you can check it out later through your Bookmarks section. All staff posts and threads have a blue border around them.  

Report a post

Occasionally we’ll get some posts on the community which contain personal information, are inappropriate or are just plain spam. Further examples can be found in our Community Guidelines. You can report these by clicking the flag icon at the bottom of the post and selecting ‘Report’. Please fill in some detail to explain why you’re reporting it as it can help give context behind a report. When you report a post, the user will not know they have been reported or who reported them, only YouView staff will be able to see the reporter.

Please fill in some detail to explain why you’re reporting it as it can help give context behind a report. When you report a post, the user will not know they have been reported or who reported them, only YouView staff will be able to see the reporter.

Reactions

Similar to social media reactions, these are there for the same purpose. All reactions are publically visible and all users will be able to see who used which reaction.

Agree/Disagree – These do what they say on the tin, if you agree with someone, use the thumbs up, and if you don’t agree then use the thumbs down.

Insightful – When a post is particularly helpful or a user has dazzled you with their knowledge, this little lightbulb is a good reaction to use.

High Five – This is for when someone has posted something awesome and deserves a bit of love.

This is where your username and recent activity such as posts and badges will be. You can edit your profile from here or through the Edit Profile drop down when you click your avatar in the top right corner.

In here you’ll be able to change your email address, avatar and password. There’s a box to the right of this where you can delve into your notification settings, quote settings and also change your signature. 

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭
    How does the points and top users work on the new forum?
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,312Member, Champion mod
    Nice new user guide @Sarah :smiley:

One thing you do not explicitly mention is that within the profile one can manage ones notification preferences. In particular you can choose to receive emails for all or some posts and actions.

Quieter as it has made my day not having these (since the default is no emails) I've turned them on now for myself so I can keep up with the action :wink:
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,312Member, Champion mod
    edited 3 October 2017
    Daniel said:
    A standard feature of a Vanilla forum is a list of all the available badges, see

https://community.youview.com/youview/badges

Note it seems to take a while for the points to catch up after initially posting on the new forum. At the moment it thinks I have 5 points when it should be more like 92 I think.

Thanks Keith
  • alal Posts: 1,233Member ✭✭
    It's certainly looking more modern than the previous forums. So far it's all nice and clear.
    I did try to add my set top box in the "edit profile" screen but it wouldn't save, telling me The name you entered is already in use by another member. 
  • jimbjimb Posts: 802Member ✭✭
    "... all users will be able to see who used which reaction..."
    How do you do this? 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 12,977Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 October 2017
    Keith said:
    Daniel said:
    A standard feature of a Vanilla forum is a list of all the available badges, see

Note it seems to take a while for the points to catch up after initially posting on the new forum. At the moment it thinks I have 5 points when it should be more like 92 I think.

It thinks I have 24, when I count 147 going to your badges link, @Keith, just from the badges I have.

(The link shows you every badge there is, and if you have that badge or not. I have been careful only to count the ones I actually have :smile:)

But there is something not right here, @Sarah :'(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 597Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 October 2017
    Roy said:
    Keith said:
    Daniel said:

It thinks I have 24, when I count 147 going to your badges link, @Keith, just from the badges I have.

(The link shows you every badge there is, and if you have that badge or not. I have been careful only to count the ones I actually have :smile:)

But there is something not right here, @Sarah :'(

Agreed - the points system does appear to be a bit flakey at the moment, but I'm sure it will get sorted. For instance my account has only had one point added to it since yesterday afternoon, and that was when Keith gave me an "Insightful"
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • SarahSarah Posts: 421Administrator admin
    Keith said:
    I'll have a look into this with Vanilla to see if we can get to the bottom of why you're not receiving all the points from the badges. 
    jimb said:
    How do you do this? 
    You can view this by hovering over the number on the reaction. 
    al said:
    I did try to add my set top box in the "edit profile" screen but it wouldn't save, telling me The name you entered is already in use by another member. 
    My bad, forgot to remove that section of the profile! We had hoped to have this implemented on user profiles however we were not able to have it set as multiple choice so I've now removed it until we can work out how to get it to work the way we want it to. 
    Sarah said:
    Keith said:
    I'll have a look into this with Vanilla to see if we can get to the bottom of why you're not receiving all the points from the badges. 
    jimb said:
    How do you do this? 
    al said:
    My bad, forgot to remove that section of the profile! We had hoped to have this implemented on user profiles however we were not able to have it set as multiple choice so I've now removed it until we can work out how to get it to work the way we want it to. 
    Hi Sarah,
    It seems to me that editing a quote is quite flaky.
    (I've been trying to edit the quote above to leave just the issue that I raised and your response.)
    So may I suggest that you don't reply to several people all in one post.

jimb said:
    How do you do this? 
    It seems to me that editing a quote is quite flaky.
    (I've been trying to edit the quote above to leave just the issue that I raised and your response.)
    So may I suggest that you don't reply to several people all in one post.
    You mean like this @jimb ; :)

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    If DM got turned into DM2 because of the minimum length rule (and why 2, by the way - is the added number random and there aren’t seven other Roberts?  :) ) how come al survived unscathed?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    jimb said:
    How do you do this? 
    Sarah said: You can view this by hovering over the number on the reaction. 

Obviously hovering only works for people using devices with a keyboard and mouse.
    But many of us (possibly the majority) will be using phones or tablets.
    It would be good if a method could be devised to give touch screen users the ability to discover who made the reaction. This could be done by dividing each of the blue reactions into two areas, so that touching (or clicking) on the icon reveals the names of those who had previously reacted, and touching (or clicking) on the text actually adds your own reaction.
    edited 4 October 2017
    Oh, and it’s hard to hover on an iPad  :/

But I see if I touch the reaction, I see who reacted, and if I tap the reaction, then I am added to the roster, and if I tap my avatar in the roster, then I unreact again.

Pretty much what you wanted, @jimb?

I do like the way on Vanilla that things largely seem to work how you think they might work, while GetSat was about as user-friendly as the proverbial cornered rat  :*
  • SarahSarah Posts: 421Administrator admin
    Roy said:
    If DM got turned into DM2 because of the minimum length rule (and why 2, by the way - is the added number random and there aren’t seven other Roberts?  :) ) how come al survived unscathed?
    There is another DM which is DM1 which was created around the same time as DM2. Before I changed Roberts username, there were 11 users with the username 'Robert/robert' + a number. It sees robert and Robert as different names and they all start at 1 and go up from there.

I didn't do the migration myself, a developer at Vanilla did so I can't give a huge amount of detail more than that unfortunately as I don't know the exact rules they used which gave users the numbers after their names. I did manually change some to take away the number before the forum went live (from memory you were Roy2!) but I couldn't do this with all users as it'd be super time consuming. 

Not sure why al's name have scraped through however he may not be able to save any edits to his profile (username and email) as it's trying to save a username which is too short for the forum. 
    Roy said:
    Oh, and it’s hard to hover on an iPad  :/

But I see if I touch the reaction, I see who reacted, and if I tap the reaction, then I am added to the roster, and if I tap my avatar in the roster, then I unreact again.

I do like the way on Vanilla that things largely seem to work how you think they might work, while GetSat was about as user-friendly as the proverbial cornered rat  :*

Can you try that on an android device Roy?
    It doesn't seem to work for me.
     :( 
    edited 4 October 2017
    Nor me  :'(

To see who has reacted, I have to keep my finger on the entry until a menu pops up. 

Then when I dismiss the menu, I can see who has reacted.

Or I can touch it quickly, which briefly show me who has reacted, but also adds me as a reactor, though I can only tell because the count goes up.

Then I touch it again, and as the list briefly appears again (I can't make the list stay) I see my avatar in it, though the count then goes down again, and I am no longer in it.

Nexus 7, 2015 model, Android 6.0.1 on the latest Chrome browser.

It looks like I might have been wrong about the iPad behaviour a bit; the list certainly stays up, in both Safari and Chrome, but while I can touch the entry and see who has reacted, I don't seem to be able to straightforwardly dismiss it without adding myself. Though I can take myself off again with another touch.

But it's not really satisfactory, even on Safari, and a bit less so on Chrome, on iOS.

And it's execrable on this Android device, where's the list simply won't stay up  :s

edited 4 October 2017
    Hi guys the way I have been checking is to go to my profile then tell chrome I want desktop view clicking on the reaction from the list then I got a list of post that may have a reaction on it then click on the reaction and it's there for about 2 seconds. I can see the post Jim reacted to earlier of mine for example.

Certainly not ideal but I would rather accept this then use get satisfaction to be honest as we have more features now then get satisfaction ever provided. Just my opinion for what it's worth. I'm sure you and Jim have your own and I'm more than happy to hear it.

@Roy @jimb
    Please do not posit false dichotomies, Daniel.

Finding fault with Vanilla is an invitation for someone to fix it, not a hankering to go back to (spit) NotSatisfactory.
    Roy said:
    Nor me  :'(

To see who has reacted, I have to keep my finger on the entry until a menu pops up. 

Then when I dismiss the menu, I can see who has reacted.

Or I can touch it quickly, which briefly show me who has reacted, but also adds me as a reactor, though I can only tell because the count goes up.

Then I touch it again, and as the list briefly appears again (I can't make the list stay) I see my avatar in it, though the count then goes down again, and I am no longer in it.

Nexus 7, 2015 model, Android 6.0.1 on the latest Chrome browser.

It looks like I might have been wrong about the iPad behaviour a bit; the list certainly stays up, in both Safari and Chrome, but while I can touch the entry and see who has reacted, I don't seem to be able to straightforwardly dismiss it without adding myself. Though I can take myself off again with another touch.

But it's not really satisfactory, even on Safari, and a bit less so on Chrome, on iOS.

And it's execrable on this Android device, where's the list simply won't stay up  :s

So if I want to make sure that you know that I agree with you the answer is to post this.

"I agree".

:# 
    (That's really not very good!)
    Roy said:
    Please do not posit false dichotomies, Daniel.

Finding fault with Vanilla is an invitation for someone to fix it, not a hankering to go back to (spit) NotSatisfactory.
    I probably miss read the situation so I apologize. It came across that way to me unfortunately.
    edited 4 October 2017
    @roy @Daniel @jimb

The problem is with Android not with Vanilla. "Mouse Over" has never really worked on Android. The best you can do is to download the Dolphin Browser which works for most web sites - but not all - displaying a little arrow you can tap to get the pop up.

Roy's method does not work for me on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Chrome browser. :(

John.
    What I get with my Samsung tablet when I touch-and-hold is a pop up list of options from the tablet relating to the reaction's link ("copy link address" etc). 
    @jimb

That is exactly what I get. The usual work around is to then press the back button to remove that menu and your Phone/Tablet should be displaying what you would see if you could hover over the link - but it never works for me.  :(

John.
  • RobertRobert Posts: 184Member ✭✭
    Forgive my ignorance but why are people obsessed about points and badges? Is this forum about helping each other or some sort of silly competition to get awarded points/badges? I remember the same people going on and on about their points etc in the other version of the forum. Like I say, please forgive my ignorance, maybe I'm just not interested in the vanity side of this thing.
    Robert
    Robert said:
    Forgive my ignorance but why are people obsessed about points and badges? Is this forum about helping each other or some sort of silly competition to get awarded points/badges? I remember the same people going on and on about their points etc in the other version of the forum. Like I say, please forgive my ignorance, maybe I'm just not interested in the vanity side of this thing.
    It's not about points and badges, it's about reactions.
    There have been many occasions in the past when I have wanted to know who it was that liked someone's post. 
    Robert said:
    From what I have seen so far, there is not the confusion that NotSat had, where what they called ‘most helpful’ could easily just be ‘most prolific’, because of the liberal awarding of points just for posting.

But here, it does seem to be based vary largely on feedback from other users, albeit with some smaller rewards for longevity, which I think are justified.

So points - or gamification, as it is called - go a long way towards establishing a poster’s reputation. Something users might like to bear in mind when receiving conflicting advice on a forum, or even just being asked to carry out some fairly drastic reset by an otherwise unknown responder of unknown provenance  o:)
    @Robert The points system in my opinion on get sat opened the forum up for spam and posts of low quality because of the used to give points for any type of posts. This new way is better IMO.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,286Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 October 2017
    Robert said:
    I disliked the leader board with a passion. But understood why it was there.
    So as Roy said, points - or gamification, as it is called - goes a long way towards establishing a poster’s reputation and knowledge so this way is better.
    I agree the badges are a bit silly and would rather see them done away with. I've got a 'Wiz-Kid' tag on the TalkTalk forum (I mean really ?).

Forums like this and others are about helping people, not getting badges or getting onto Leader boards, but the points users gain on here are indicative of how helpful others find them to be.
  • RobertRobert Posts: 184Member ✭✭
    I see some of the points presented and I can see why it's important to some of you. There seems to be an argument for points gained pointing to the trustworthiness and knowledge of certain individuals. That could work in an ideal world but on the other forum I saw people racking up loads of points simply by being argumentative and disruptive. Of course the points will stay and that's perfectly fine but I still think, from many posts on the other forum, that whether they realise it or not, some people seemed overly concerned about their posts/ranking etc which I found quite amusing.
    Robert