How to use the new YouView Community Forum

2»

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 12,977Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 October 2017

I've seen bugs you people wouldn't believe.

Attack trolls spitting flames off-topic just for a badge.

I’ve watched YouView glitter in the dark near the NextGen launch.

All those GetSat points will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to change.

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
  • jimbjimb Posts: 802Member ✭✭
    Roy said:

Time to change.

In case you've missed it Roy, currently two people think that this post is "awesome" and you deserve "a bit of love".
     B) 

@Roy @Stephen
    @Sarah are there any community guidelines?
    All the "Respect" stuff.  ;)
  • SarahSarah Posts: 421Administrator admin
    jimb said:
    Yes there are, they can be found here: https://www.youview.com/community-guidelines 
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,312Member, Champion mod
    jimb said:
    Those topics do appear to have be imported fine and are at:
    What seems to be missing is a suitable welcome message block with these permanently listed there.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭
    @Sarah I have sent another email.
    Keith said:

What seems to be missing is a suitable welcome message block with these permanently listed there.

Thanks Keith - that's what I was getting at. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,286Member ✭✭✭
    Robert said:
    I see some of the points presented and I can see why it's important to some of you. There seems to be an argument for points gained pointing to the trustworthiness and knowledge of certain individuals. That could work in an ideal world but on the other forum I saw people racking up loads of points simply by being argumentative and disruptive. Of course the points will stay and that's perfectly fine but I still think, from many posts on the other forum, that whether they realise it or not, some people seemed overly concerned about their posts/ranking etc which I found quite amusing.
    Heey.... Aren't you Mr 'Aspiring Expert' on another forum? :)
    @Roy - you've played a blinder there!
  • RobertRobert Posts: 184Member ✭✭
    edited 6 October 2017
    @Visionman You are correct in that although in reality I'm neither 'aspiring' or an 'expert'. It's something I'm afraid you can't opt out of there either. I just find all these 'badges' or 'titles' sadly pointless and silly. I'd forgotten about those silly titles on the forum in question as I'm fairly sure they don't send out updates on your 'title level' or whatever you'd want to call it.

Good spot on the 'Home' button. I was doing the same as Roy to get 'home'.
    Robert
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 597Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 October 2017
    Roy said:

Time to change.

Pure genius @Roy - not easy being a dolphin.

John

Quite a "stout" statement.  :)
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Keith said:

A standard feature of a Vanilla forum is a list of all the available badges, see

https://community.youview.com/youview/badges

A standard feature, and yet the only way to get to it is to happen to know the URL?

Or have I missed something?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,312Member, Champion mod
    Roy said:
    Keith said:

A standard feature of a Vanilla forum is a list of all the available badges, see

https://community.youview.com/youview/badges

A standard feature, and yet the only way to get to it is to happen to know the URL?

Or have I missed something?
    No, I don't think you are missing anything. Why what appears to be a standard public feature/page on Vanilla forums is not then linked in somewhere so ordinary people can easily find it if they wish is unclear.

As others have mentioned, badges, points and leaderboards can be informative but can also be gamed/misunderstood/misrepresentative, as well as badges perhaps feeling like something one hands out in school (more so now than in the last century though) rather than such a community/forum.

If we had a block on the main page with some key links (as I have previously mentioned) it could contain the link to the community guidelines, terms of use, and also now a link to this badges/leaderboard info for completeness :smile:
    edited 20 October 2017
    Tip

If you have made a lot of postings (as I have) and you want to go back (Profile, Comments) to one made a long time ago, you are going to be pressing that 'More' button a very large number of times, as the standard feature only lets you page back one page at a time.

However, if you look at the URL that appears, you can see it ends with page=nnn, and you can change that nnn to make big jumps.

If you go back further than the page with your very first posting on, it will erroneously say you haven't made any comments yet, which is at least better than a 404.

Exploiting this, I homed in on my very first comment quite quickly with a binary chop B)
  • alal Posts: 1,233Member ✭✭
    Thanks Roy,
    Not exploiting this, I had previously homed in on my very first comment quite slowly
    Roy said:
    ...Exploiting this, I homed in on my very first comment quite quickly with a binary chop B)
    al said:
    Thanks Roy,
    Not exploiting this, I had previously homed in on my very first comment quite slowly

So go on then - what were your first comments?
    jimb said:

So go on then - what were your first comments?
    Quite quotidian really - just an ordinary punter looking for an answer, and finding it readily provided, deciding to give something back in return if I could - and here I still am  :)

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/10428063#Comment_10428063
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 803Member ✭✭
    But who was the  mysterious Unknown poster who answered your post @Roy ?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,278Member ✭✭✭
    Martin.
2»