How to use the new YouView Community Forum

13»

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Steve K said:
    Roy said:
    Steve K said:
    Just about every time I try to post a reply quoting a post, I find the PC sees a surge in processing demands, spends a lot of time frozen and seems to be saving drafts continuously.  Sometimes it seems to be obsessed looking up posters whose names might be close to words used in the post.  The issue seems to be getting worse
    It's not the greatest PC in the world.  An old Asus Notebook (Atom CPU 1.67 Ghz) but it works for everything else.  Chrome, Win 10, only 2GB of RAM (83% used) and disk is 0% fragmented

And while it's been slow it's been just about tolerable typing this even if it saved the draft 4 times
    Indeed, not the fastest. We had to abandon our similarly specified Atom when it could no longer support Windows XP acceptably, though I understand it may actually be better on Windows 10.

Is the names thing this, or something different?

Draft saving seems to be announced once a minute for me; did it take you four or fives minutes to type the above?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 295Member
    Roy said:
    Steve K said:
    Roy said:
    Steve K said:
    Just about every time I try to post a reply quoting a post, I find the PC sees a surge in processing demands, spends a lot of time frozen and seems to be saving drafts continuously.  Sometimes it seems to be obsessed looking up posters whose names might be close to words used in the post.  The issue seems to be getting worse
    It's not the greatest PC in the world.  An old Asus Notebook (Atom CPU 1.67 Ghz) but it works for everything else.  Chrome, Win 10, only 2GB of RAM (83% used) and disk is 0% fragmented

And while it's been slow it's been just about tolerable typing this even if it saved the draft 4 times
    Indeed, not the fastest. We had to abandon our similarly specified Atom when it could no longer support Windows XP acceptably, though I understand it may actually be better on Windows 10.

Is the names thing this, or something different?

Draft saving seems to be announced once a minute for me; did it take you four or fives minutes to type the above?
    Yes that looks like the same issue but I wasn't trying to put in name references
    And yes it did take 4 minutes to type that because I was typing and nothing was appearing.  So I had to wait to see which characters eventually appeared and then start again.  The post (on the 29.27 thread) that I had real trouble with took 30 minutes
    So now I type in what I want to say on WordPad and then copy and paste.  It's a workaround but I'd rather find what I need to tweak here instead
  • RobertRobert Posts: 246Member ✭✭
    I'm not clued up on this Vanilla software but I'm thinking there isn't much we can change at the user end. I also get the above quirk, although it's an intermittent issue, on my pc now as well as the aforementioned tablet. My pc is an Acer Aspire running Win7 with an Intel Core i5 CPU 2.70GHz processor and installed RAM of 4GB. I use the latest Firefox browser (although I've also noticed it on IE11) and have nothing else running on the pc whilst using the forum. I have found it so slow at times that I'm about 4 words ahead of what's actually appearing on screen. The other issue, with the prompt for 'inserted names' also happens randomly. It can happen after I've entered a name (eg. if I now added Steve's name it would continue to prompt me for it long after I've selected it) or also when having selected a 'quote' from a previous post and proceed to write my own post in response.
    Frequent browser....Infrequent poster!
    edited 12 November 2017, 1:21PM
    @Sarah, it’s high time this ’name thing’ was fixed.

What do Vanilla say?

Do other forums get this, or is it unique to us?

But I’m pleased to see smart quotes are now interpreted correctly in the Search, which you or Vanilla seem to have snuck in without fanfare. Excellent!
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SarahSarah Posts: 482Administrator admin
    Hiya,

I'm chasing this up with Vanilla at the moment. It'd be helpful to know from those who haven't provided the info, what browsers, OS and devices you are using when this issue occurs. If you have any different steps you took to get to this issue it'd be helpful as they were having some trouble recreating the same issue with the steps I provided previously from this thread. 

Thanks!
    Sarah
    edited 13 November 2017, 3:55PM
    Sarah said:
    Hiya,

I'm chasing this up with Vanilla at the moment. It'd be helpful to know from those who haven't provided the info, what browsers, OS and devices you are using when this issue occurs. If you have any different steps you took to get to this issue it'd be helpful as they were having some trouble recreating the same issue with the steps I provided previously from this thread. 

Thanks!
    Sarah
    It remains completely repeatable, even now, on this posting, on my iPad, and on my laptop.

Vanilla have my permission to pretend to be me, if that is what it takes, and start Editing that post - just typing xxx at the bottom is enough to bring up a white on blue ‘dreamtime’ I never asked for - and go from there.

if they need my password to pretend to be me, I can PM it to you and change it straight after they are finished; though maybe they can be cleverer than that, and clone the posting, or look at it in raw HTML, or whatever.

But the point is, we have an ongoing live one for them to look at.

Roy said:
    Sarah said:
    Hiya,

Thanks!
    Sarah
    It remains completely repeatable, even now, on this posting, on my iPad, and on my laptop.

Vanilla have my permission to pretend to be me, if that is what it takes, and start Editing that post - just typing xxx at the bottom is enough to bring up a white on blue ‘dreamtime’ I never asked for - and go from there.

if they need my password to pretend to be me, I can PM it to you and change it straight after they are finished; though maybe that can be cleverer than that, and clone the posting, or look at it in raw HTML, or whatever.

But the point is, we have an ongoing live one for them to look at.

They should be able to do the testing on their end although they can 'Spoof' a user and act as them if required although I don't think it is in this case as it's happened on a few different devices. This means that no one needs to see your password but it does mean that they can jump onto your account in case your have any account based issues which need looking into. We have this feature as well but don't use it often unless we need to move posts into another thread or investigate private messages if they've been reported. 

You may have mentioned it before but can you confirm which iOS tablet you are using, the browser/s this has happened on and which software update your tablet is on as well. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah said:

You may have mentioned it before but can you confirm which iOS tablet you are using, the browser/s this has happened on and which software update your tablet is on as well. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    iPad Pro, iOS 11.1.1 (since this morning, but repeated on this release), Safari

And as I said above, it does the exact same thing on my laptop:-

Dell Studio XPS 15, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Build 15063, Mozilla Firefox 56,0,2 (64-bit)

My working hypothesis is that it happens (only?) when you make multiple @ references to different users in the posting, but not always even then.

BIC easily BW.
    Thanks @Roy, I've added this to the information I've sent across to Vanilla :) 
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 295Member
    [tempting fate mode] I haven't seen it since I turned Ad Blocker off for this site - where it was superfluous anyway

Could be coincidence, could be relevant 

[/tempting fate mode]

I’ve not seen this issue lately, and I am not running an ad blocker. 

Did Vanilla tweak something?
13»