New forum feedback

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,732Member ✭✭
    The windows 10 debate reminds me of the current v next generation debate. Internet explorer is discontinued but they maintain the latest version but for how long who knows and are the plugins maintained for ie is another question and a important one at that. A majority of people I know are on win 10 these days and obviously are using Google chrome or edge as a browser. It's not about been arrogant. It's about asking the right questions. 
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,360Member ✭✭✭
    It reminds me more of the debate around Windows Phones and lack of support for apps, too much work frankly for the volume of users. Although we do know that on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, Internet Explorer 11 will receive security updates for the remainder of those Windows versions' support lifecycles. So that is quite a while yet.
    Of course but would some of the plugins rather keep flinging money at ie or edge.
    edited 1 November 2017, 11:56AM
    I think plugins can become redundant as browsers are upgraded rather than vice-versa, Firefox is a good example of that. As IE is not being upgraded then that shouldn't be an issue.
    @redchiz I certainly find them redundant as I use Google chrome and flash is built in to it as I am sure you are aware but doesn't internet explorer still use plugins?
    @Daniel Sorry, I thought you meant the plugins being maintained. They will certainly be redundant if you don't actually use the browser in question! And it is a while since I have used IE, I cannot recall when they stopped supporting it for Macs.  ;)

Finally, a picture paints a thousand words, with thanks to StatCounter Global Stats:

@redchiz Thanks for the image. It certainly shows ie is in decline.
  • RobertRobert Posts: 246Member ✭✭
    edited 1 November 2017, 1:00PM
    There is going to be support for IE11 for at LEAST the next 3 years if not beyond. Interesting graph showing Internet Explorer as being used by more people than Edge, although they are both poorly preferred over Chrome. Firefox is my browser of choice having extensively tested all the rest (apart from Edge as I refused to install Win10 and it's aggressive snooping/analytics etc). It's also worth remembering that Flash is on its last legs.
    @Daniel. You say "A majority of people I know are on win 10 these days and obviously are using Google chrome or edge as a browser". Why 'obviously' may I ask when Firefox is much faster and has more stable extensions on offer? I have two friends who have done some internal hardcore testing on the various browsers on Win10 and have come up endorsing Firefox every time.

Frequent browser....Infrequent poster!
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 November 2017, 1:56PM
    Finally, a picture paints a thousand words....
    With apologies to Bread (and to @redchiz)

If a picture paints a thousand words
    Then why do folk want Lists?
    The Tiles will only show 
    The you(View) they've come to know...
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member
    Hi @sarah  - save draft doesn't save attachments. - Problem I reported last night. Just tried from mini iPad -  still doesn't work 

I created this comment - attached file - saved draft  - left page - went to profile back to home,selected this draft and the attachments isn't here 

BTW - I'll try Firefox on laptop later 

• SarahSarah Posts: 482Administrator admin
    @dave3
    I'll ask Vanilla about attachments saving as a draft and let you know once I hear back from them :) 
    May I ask that, if it is possible, postings from days before today, for yesterday at least, retain their full timestamp?

I know, for instance, that I last looked at the forum yesterday at about 20:30; but all the timestamps after that turn at midnight, if not into pumpkins, then at least only into yesterday’s date; and I would like the time to hang on a bit longer, if that is doable.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Roy said:
    May I ask that, if it is possible, postings from days before today, for yesterday at least, retain their full timestamp?

I know, for instance, that I last looked at the forum yesterday at about 20:30; but all the timestamps after that turn at midnight, if not into pumpkins, then at least only into yesterday’s date; and I would like the time to hang on a bit longer, if that is doable.
    I think this has been mentioned before and I have asked Vanilla about it but didn't get a conclusive response. I've bumped the email with them to see if we can move forward with it at all :) 

Sarah
    Gracias!
    Agreed @Roy @Sarah
    That is one change I'd definitely like to see.
    @Sarah Can I just state the opposite view? Personally I find it easier the way things are now with the timestamp offering an easy visual cue to the current day's postings, previous days' can easily be revealed by hovering over the datestamp.
    edited 3 November 2017, 2:50PM
    Thanks redchiz - such a simple workaround!

One thing though - how do you hover on a touch ( i.e. mobile) device?  :'(
  • NewfyNewfy Posts: 13Member
    Touché   ...
    Roy said:

One thing though - how do you hover on a touch ( i.e. mobile) device?  :'(
    That's a suggestion I would support, if it works with touch for the edit annotation then why not datestamp? Of course this is useful in all cases, not just around the midnight hour, or whatever specific length of time Roy would prefer.
    edited 3 November 2017, 9:53PM
    redchiz said:
    That's a suggestion I would support, if it works with touch for the edit annotation then why not datestamp? Of course this is useful in all cases, not just around the midnight hour, or whatever specific length of time Roy would prefer.
    Interesting - if I touch and hold the name on an entry for yesterday or before, the date then appears on a white background, and if I move my finger slightly, then community.youview.com also appears in the white background.

But I do not get the various options that appear if I touch and hold the date, which is a good thing in this context.

The touch name and hold has no effect on today’s postings, but they have the time in clear, so that is fine also.

This would all be perfect for my needs if only, instead of telling me two things I already know, the white box would tell me the time of the posting. And thus mimic hover in a ‘mouse’ environment.

And I think perhaps both I and @redchiz could be happy with this arrangement, and maybe @Robert would be as well.
    Agreed @Roy
    Sounds fine to me.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 861Member ✭✭
    If you do a search for "Whither" there are two results.
    One is for a page with the title "Whither NextGen?"
    If you click on this it returns the message "Page Not Found"
    Looks like a problem here.

edited 8 November 2017, 11:13AM
    jimb said:
    If you do a search for "Whither" there are two results.
    One is for a page with the title "Whither NextGen?"
    If you click on this it returns the message "Page Not Found"
    Looks like a problem here.

Three results now  :p

But if you look at that second result, you will note that it mentions 2 results, and you can click through and access the second one, which is from me, and starts:-

Well, this started as a reply to a reasonable question from Fredy about Lists versus Tiles:- 

https://community.youview.com/youview... 

But he seems to have shut up shop since (or possibly had it shut up for him). 

(NOTE: Heavy Editing below as I found out more since first posting this).

Which I suspect may be part of the problem; his entry in the referenced thread has gone, at least from user visibility, and Vanilla half-knows this and half doesn’t. Which may be an artefact of the transfer from GetSat, where the original posting was in the same limbo.

And I see from looking at the thread I referenced that I did say I would reply in a new thread, which I did, and I promised to go back and say where, but never did, so I think this particular posting of Fredy’s must have gone (though others of his remain) so the link now just goes to the start of that thread.

Or maybe this is just a red herring.

Paging down from my contribution though, Dave Howe’s contribution is still present and accessible, so it remains a mystery why that one gives Page Not Found, and mine doesn’t.

(In conclusion, I’m not sure I have added much here, except to observe that you can click on that ‘2 results’ from the Search, and see one of them, but not the other. Over to you, @Sarah, for further elucidation, I think).
    I'll have a look into the search function to see what's going on here, it's a bit strange! 
    Sarah said:
    I'll have a look into the search function to see what's going on here, it's a bit strange! 
    @Sarah - Make sure you reread my heavily edited and corrected posting first, though.
    edited 8 November 2017, 11:26AM
    And for what small insight it is worth, the ‘Not Found’ is already embedded in the URL under ‘Whither NextGen?’ on the Dave Howes search results that fail.

Might be worth asking Vanilla how come?

And might be a lot simpler than all the convoluted stuff I posted above...  :/
    Roy said:
    And for what small insight it is worth, the ‘Not Found’ is already embedded in the URL under ‘Whither NextGen?’ on the Dave Howes search results that fail.

Might be worth asking Vanilla how come?
    I will, It's a bit odd that the URL is set as not found. There's a few possibilities of why this could be happening but it will take a bit of digging! I'll have a look into it :) 
  • Rob PRob P Posts: 22Member
    redchiz said:
    @Sarah Can I just state the opposite view? Personally I find it easier the way things are now with the timestamp offering an easy visual cue to the current day's postings, previous days' can easily be revealed by hovering over the datestamp.

Hi @Sarah

The timestamp referred above seems to have been removed from the hover popup as well now... (observed only using Chrome on 2 different Windows 10 machines). So whilst today's posts continue to show the time, and yesterday's or earlier remain showing the date only (Eg 7 November 2017), but hovering over this now displays exactly the same again ie 7 November 2017 with no time available.

The same now also applies to Firefox and Internet Explorer so I'd guess it has been universally changed.
    Robert said:
    The same now also applies to Firefox and Internet Explorer so I'd guess it has been universally changed.
    I do hope this is preparatory to making the detailed timestamp available by a non-hover method.