New forum feedback

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 482Administrator admin
    edited 9 November 2017, 8:59AM
    @Robert @Roy
    In the midst of me asking about the changes regarding the time, I asked if the hover timestamp display could be in UK format rather than US format (was previously November 1 2017 instead of 1 November 2017). However in doing this, they appear to have removed the time on the timestamp! I've requested this to be added back on whilst also reiterating that we'd like a way for mobile users to see the exact time stamp more easily.

Will update once I get more info from Vanilla :) 

Sarah
  • RobertRobert Posts: 246Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up @Sarah
    Frequent browser....Infrequent poster!
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Ooh look - times on the timestamps on the Home Page now, for postings from before today.

Nice one, @Sarah, and/or Vanilla!
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Hi all,

As @Roy has keenly noticed, Vanilla has (as of about an hour ago) changed the time stamp so that it always shows the date and the time the post was created. This means that you don't need to hover over it to see the time of posting, hopefully this works out better for everyone even if you are on a mobile device! 

We've also added in the new reaction for Thanks,changed the icons for Agree and Disagree and taken away Insightful and High Five. We've also changed the order they were in so that Disagree is 2nd instead of 1st out of the available options :) 

There should be badges incoming soon for these new reactions as well. 

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Hi @Sarah

Did you ever get Vanilla to look at the User name handling, on the Advanced Search and on Private Messages, on an iPad?

It’s all over the shop, either not presenting a list; or only presenting it when you backspace; and/or presenting a list that does not contain the name you are looking for.

And while the Search will at least usually take a name you just type in, PMs won’t, until you can wrestle the dialogue box into presenting the name you need, white on blue.

i think you said you had an iPad in the office, so please try it for yourselves.

Hopefully, you will agree that it is extremely unsatisfactory, and press Vanilla to address the issue.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • ManfredManfred Posts: 21Member
    Hi @Sarah. The forum currently uses the word 'Discussion' to mean two different things (so when we use the word in a comment it's a little ambiguous which we're talking about) - see screengrab.
    edited 29 November 2017, 9:24PM
    Slightly bizarre choice of Featured Topics at the moment, being recently introduced tiles of mid-October updates, when it is six weeks on from there, and we have much more recent just-announced ones?

Also note the mess the text on the tiles is in on this iPad, where they take on a different aspect ratio from the satisfactory presentation you see on a PC.

It’s better in Landscape, but it’s still not right.
    Hi @Roy
    We were having some issues with the Featured Topics a day or so ago so were trying to get these fixed first before promoting the new content. These should be sorted later on today or tomorrow. 

As for the text overlapping, has this always been the case or is it a recent appearance? 

Thanks! 
    edited 30 November 2017, 10:13AM
    Sarah said:
    Hi @Roy
    We were having some issues with the Featured Topics a day or so ago so were trying to get these fixed first before promoting the new content. These should be sorted later on today or tomorrow. 

As for the text overlapping, has this always been the case or is it a recent appearance? 

Thanks! 
    I think always the case.

My only other saved screenshot, from 8th October, shows where bits of the Vanilla furniture were shown as small outline squares instead of what they should be, and the left hand bits that overlap the dates in the above appeared as such small squares on that date. And so didn’t overlap, as they were just one ‘character’.

But that was anyway a separate issue (which I saw a few times back then, but haven’t seen since, by the way).

So I can’t be sure, but I don’t think the overlap, when the text is working ‘properly’, is new.

Do you see the same on your office iPad?
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 629Member ✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2017, 1:43PM
    @Roy
    @Sarah

Don't forget that the date has grown somewhat since the fix was put in to overcome the "Hover" problem on iThingies / Android.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 30 November 2017, 1:58PM
    Also note how Vanilla treats the last poster and date and time, wrapping the whole thing rather than breaking it inbetween the poster and date. Look at "DTR-T2100 permanently accessing the internet, I think" in the picture below.

John.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 1 December 2017, 7:18AM
    :'( Anaglypta said:
    @Roy
    @Sarah

Don't forget that the date has grown somewhat since the fix was put in to overcome the "Hover" problem on iThingies / Android.

John.

I'm just borrowing John's posting to demonstrate a new issue we have. I want to put an emoticon at the end of this line, so I leave the focus there, go up to the smileys and attempt to get one to place here

But instead, it does as shown above, and the smiley goes in before ‘Anaglypta’. I normally cut the smiley from there, and paste it where I want it, but I have left it above to illustrate the issue.

This is with Internet Explorer on Windows 10 Home 32-bit Fall Creator edition. I do not see it on Safari on my iPad.

EDIT: I have now tried it on other browsers on this laptop, albeit only with Edit, not Compose. It does the same as above with Edit on IE, but it behaves properly, in Edit at least, on Edge and Chrome.

I would generally use any other browser than IE, but IE is the one that is chosen when I click on the forum link in an email. I will look to see if it has a configurable default browser, and change this if so, but the issue shown above still needs addressing, presumably by Vanilla.

Thanks for letting us know @Roy, I'll have a look into this.

Anaglypta said:
    Also note how Vanilla treats the last poster and date and time, wrapping the whole thing rather than breaking it inbetween the poster and date. Look at "DTR-T2100 permanently accessing the internet, I think" in the picture below.

John.

The only one I'm seeing this on is the example you've given which is a relatively unique case as both the original poster and yourself, the last person who posted have long user names which causes the 'Last by...' info to show underneath. It's not intended behaviour for it to break up the last by username and date as far as I'm aware. 

Roy said:
    :'( Anaglypta said:
    @Roy
    @Sarah

John.

I'm just borrowing John's posting to demonstrate a new issue we have. I want to put an emoticon at the end of this line, so I leave the focus there, go up to the smileys and attempt to get one to place here

But instead, it does as shown above, and the smiley goes in before ‘Anaglypta’. I normally cut the smiley from there, and paste it where I want it, but I have left it above to illustrate the issue.

This is with Internet Explorer on Windows 10 Home 32-bit Fall Creator edition. I do not see it on Safari on my iPad.

EDIT: I have now tried it on other browsers on this laptop, albeit only with Edit, not Compose. It does the same as above with Edit on IE, but it behaves properly, in Edit at least, on Edge and Chrome.

I would generally use any other browser than IE, but IE is the one that is chosen when I click on the forum link in an email. I will look to see if it has a configurable default browser, and change this if so, but the issue shown above still needs addressing, presumably by Vanilla.

This does appear to be an IE only issue, IE and Edge make up a very small number of our views when users visit the site so it is more optimised towards Chrome, Safari and Firefox. I'll get this looked into to see what's going on with this function. I've not seen the quote box be selectable in that way before.

If IE is automatically opening the link from your emails then you just need to set a new default browser in the settings for the preferred browser. I know in Chrome that it's the 3 dots > Settings > Default Browser, I'm not familar with Edge but I'm sure it's a fairly similar process :) 

I'll get the queries you mentioned looked into :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 1 December 2017, 10:58AM
    This does appear to be an IE only issue, IE and Edge make up a very small number of our views when users visit the site so it is more optimised towards Chrome, Safari and Firefox. I'll get this looked into to see what's going on with this function. I've not seen the quote box be selectable in that way before.

If IE is automatically opening the link from your emails then you just need to set a new default browser in the settings for the preferred browser. I know in Chrome that it's the 3 dots > Settings > Default Browser, I'm not familar with Edge but I'm sure it's a fairly similar process :) 

I'll get the queries you mentioned looked into :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    @Sarah

I have confirmed that my default browser on this Win10 laptop is Edge, but the process for a third-party application to start Edge is a bit arcane - you can't just run edge.exe, even if you can find it (which I did).

So my pre-Win 10 email software, set to use the system default browser, could not do this, and I think it did very well to start any browser at all, even IE, instead of halting in a shower of sparks :p

I have now changed the default browser option in the email program from 'Use the system default browser' to Firefox, and it now opens that instead of IE, as just successfully tested here. Not that you can tell at your end, except the smileys go in the right place now o:)
  • RobertRobert Posts: 246Member ✭✭
    edited 3 December 2017, 1:15PM
    Why can't this forum have an "Ignore" button? So many reputable sites employ it nowadays to make their community safer from trolls and those with obsessive behaviours etc.
    Obviously it's easy to stop notification emails but this option could take the forum a step closer to being a more friendly environment, something it once was.
    Frequent browser....Infrequent poster!
    edited 3 December 2017, 1:38PM
    Robert said:
    Why can't this forum have an "Ignore" button? So many reputable sites employ it nowadays to make their community safer from trolls and those with obsessive behaviours etc.
    Obviously it's easy to stop notification emails but this option could take the forum a step closer to being a more friendly environment, something it once was.
    @Robert

The "ignore" feature is available in Vanilla. It's up to the site admins whether they enable it or not. 

John.

EDIT:- Link added for clarity

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/ignore-plugin

@Sarah - in a long thread, there is nothing on the screen to remind you of what the thread topic is. Can this be remedied, which I am sure will help posters to stay on topic, and help guard against thread-jacking?
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 295Member
    Roy said:
    @Sarah - in a long thread, there is nothing on the screen to remind you of what the thread topic is. Can this be remedied, which I am sure will help posters to stay on topic, and help guard against thread-jacking?
    Seconded but thread drift is inevitable on any forum and (sorry Sarah and Phil) there's no substitute for active moderation to split, merge threads etc to keep topic focus.

This is a typical illustrative sequence:
    - Thread starts about item X
    - A subsequent post says "X isn't as good as Y"
    - Another post says "Ah but Z was even better than Y"
    - Then someone says "you're always wrong about Z"

etc etc,  'X' has long been forgotten.

Moving on...
    Different, but not better  :(

It’s gone back how it was before now - still the overlap on the bottom line of each top tile on this iPad, though.
    Hi @Roy 

This was an error with the Promote feature which has since been rectified. We're still working on the overlapping but that should hopefully be sorted soon :) 

Sarah
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,732Member ✭✭
    Just noticed I don't have the one year badge on my profile even though I have been a member since November 2016 and we are now in December. 
    Daniel said:
    Just noticed I don't have the one year badge on my profile even though I have been a member since November 2016 and we are now in December. 
    Sorted! :) 
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,732Member ✭✭
    Thanks @Sarah
  • alal Posts: 1,250Member ✭✭
    edited 11 December 2017, 8:08PM
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned but I noticed that on some old posts, if I had quoted a quoted post, my post quotes the original post, not the post I was quoting. I hope that makes sense. Here's an example:
    https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7525745/breaking-news-bbc-store-to-close/p2
    At the top of page 2 I was quoting Sarah, not Redchiz.

I also noticed if an old post doesn't have a category, it's quite hard to find. Adding the category to the post makes it now appear in my discussions.
    @Sarah, we still have the ‘Not Found’ problem, along with the ‘Vanilla doesn’t recognise iPad smart quotes’ issue. The latter of which I thought had been fixed, but apparently not, or it’s been broken again.

On an iPad, search for “beating your wife” (with the double quotes), and you will get results that are ignoring the smart quotes.

You will also find that the first result is the thread ‘BT SPORT COMES TO TALKTALK TV’, where the URL on the thread title ends with ‘notfound’.

Despite Vanilla manifestly being able to find the thread, or it could never have returned results from it  :p

You may be able to see the ‘notfound’ issue on a PC or laptop.

This is the second time I have notified this issue; are Vanilla aware of it, and making any progress on fixing it?
    edited 12 December 2017, 7:04AM
    @Sarah

The email copies from the forum used to carry the thread title in their Subject line.

Just recently, the Subjects have changed to only say 'Re: [YouView Community]'.

This has completely broken the threaded view by Subject that I have been using, and makes even the list view very difficult to follow.

Whether this change was by accident or design, I do not know, but can you please consider putting it back how it was?

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    I've recently bumped the BT Sport thread but it hasn't been promoted.
    https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/18991497/#Comment_18991497
  • alal Posts: 1,250Member ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    I've recently bumped the BT Sport thread but it hasn't been promoted.
    https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/18991497/#Comment_18991497
    Looks the same as what I mentioned above. Use the dropdown next to the bookmark logo and give the thread a category.