Sky stealing a march on the opposition

RobertRobert Posts: 184Member ✭✭
Interesting reading here https://a516digital.com/2017/10/sky-q-to-allow-viewers-to-order.html on new software putting Sky Q way ahead of the field. Forget about edit/hide channels, this is surely the way to go, giving consumers a much bigger role in personalising their own box.

Robert

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,278Member ✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed. Never that fussed about channel ordering personally tbh, would just prefer consistency across platforms, but sadly that's not going to happen. Ideally this would have different accounts for different users, unless yourself, partner, kids, hamster etc. all have the same favourites. Good stuff on the enhanced voice control though, including skip which is inexplicably and annoyingly not available on the existing remote.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,286Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 October 2017
    The above feature (Favourite Channels) will never be introduced on YouView. And there have been many conversations about it, including an official response confirming it won't.

I've had fav channels on 3 previous boxes and never used it once, so the supposition that Sky are stealing a march on the opposition because of it is a matter of personal opinion. I value the return of the 'jump to time' feature on recordings far, far higher.
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 229Member
    Sky used to have this channel re-ordering ability on the analog boxes but it was dropped when they introduced Sky Digital.  The loss was mildly irritating for a very short while until I and everyone else realised when you are talking of hundreds of channels, people want to discuss what channel number a programme is on using the same number references

I've seen greater marches stolen

• RobertRobert Posts: 184Member ✭✭
    Of course it's a matter of personal opinion. It's always healthy to consider the opinion of others. I too yearn for the return of the 'jump to time' feature. That I do miss very much. As for 'Favourites' and the ability to reorder, I have used it in the past when it was available to me. Having the option, whether you decide to use it or not, is a good thing, and shows Sky, (who I left years ago and would never return to), have been listening to their users. I'm always interested in what other platforms offer (or don't offer).
    Robert
     I'm always interested in what other platforms offer (or don't offer).
    So am I. But the introduction of this feature isn't a deal breaker for most. And Q users have publicly stated they hate SKYs Touch/Voice remote. To which I have sympathy, as Sony YouViews is no dream, either.

• RobertRobert Posts: 184Member ✭✭
    edited 6 October 2017
    As I've highlighted in my OP it was 'Reordering Favourites' that caught my attention. I never said it was or would be a deal breaker. It certainly wouldn't be for me but it's still encouraging to think that other providers might once in a while listen to their own particular customers feedback. Certainly from a few mates who trial software and also are involved in development forums for them they say it has been something many people have been requesting in more recent times. As for the whole Voice thing, that's something I don't want to get invoilved in with anybody, and won't use it when Youview finally implement it either. This old brain of mine finds that all just a little too creepy. :/

Robert
  • RoyRoy Posts: 12,977Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 October 2017
    Robert said:
    .....As for the whole Voice thing, that's something I don't want to get invoilved in with anybody, and won't use it when Youview finally implement it either. This old brain of mine finds that all just a little too creepy. :/

When we pitch up to Sunday morning breakfast, we just naturally say “Alexa, play Classic FM”. Means we don’t have to turn on, or tune, the radio.

Gets to be as natural as breathing.

i guess she will never be able to actually put the croissants in, but we are waiting to be able to say “Alexa, tell the oven to warm to 180 C”. Or would be if the oven had WiFi  :)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 90Member
    Robert said:
    ........ Certainly from a few mates who trial software and also are involved in development forums for them they say it has been something many people have been requesting in more recent times.....

This is the important bit for me. Listening to their customers, if only YouView understood that bit we would have had a choice before this new gen stuff was inflicted on us.
  • Orange BucketOrange Bucket Posts: 14Member
    I'd just like each channel to be assigned a single fixed number (*), say four digits, that could be used to access it on any service provider. So if 'FooBar TV' is number '4835' I will always be able to get to it as channel '4835' regardless of what number the provider has allocated it in their EPG this week.

(*) Maybe there already is such a thing. I've no idea.
  • Dan DanDan Dan Posts: 22Member
    dreamtime said:
    Robert said:
    ........ Certainly from a few mates who trial software and also are involved in development forums for them they say it has been something many people have been requesting in more recent times.....

This is the important bit for me. Listening to their customers, if only YouView understood that bit we would have had a choice before this new gen stuff was inflicted on us.
    Totally agree that customer feedback is totally undervalued (once the filters have been put on)
    For me, the NewGen is a good step forward, but the promised pace of change and the missing bits from the previous incarnation are annoyingly slow to surface.

I wish we didn't know anything and Youview stopped promising everything.
    It's now as fragmented as Android...what device you have...who's your retailer....
    I've done app testing for an energy company and the the great thing was they really did listen. So much so, one app got totally dropped as we convinced them it wouldn't be a true representation.

Youview shouldn't be seen as the poor mans inferior alternative to Sky, but it is.
    I don't see people asking for all the facilities of a Q box, just basic functionality and reliability.
    You fail at this....then you fail.
    Despite the fact I have no interest in personal channel ordering myself it is clearly something that others will welcome. There are many other niggles that would do better to be improved in my view though, like the absence of a skip feature which I mentioned earlier. My main improvement would be in the journey to the EPG. What is a direct single button press on YouView becomes Home > up > right  > right on Sky Q.
  • David8David8 Posts: 627Member
    Or just say "TV Guide" to be landed directly in the TV Guide.
    edited 6 October 2017
    Indeed. When it arrives. If you have a touch remote. It doesn't alter the fact that the current setup is abysmal.
    It has arrived and I do have a touch as do the majority of Q users.
    I stand corrected, I thought it was later this month from the article at the top, I haven't seen anything official from Sky about this yet. How do you know that the majority of Sky Q users have a touch remote?
    redchiz said:
    I stand corrected, I thought it was later this month from the article at the top, I haven't seen anything official from Sky about this yet. How do you know that the majority of Sky Q users have a touch remote?
    You are correct in the sense that it's not rolled out to everyone yet although it is out with some public users now. As for Q touch remotes Sky installed far more 2TB boxes especially early on as people bought for UHD Football.
    edited 6 October 2017
    OK, but it is generally accepted on this community that if you bandy numbers about you should have a reliable source you can point at to back them up. Otherwise, it is just yak. Like my impression that initial movement of Sky Q was pitifully low, which is why they more or less abandoned their initial pricing model and started offering Sky Q to all subscribers.
    That's an issue for Sky not me as a user , in all honesty I couldn't care less how many boxes they've installed or if its been generally a flop.

A decent service at a price I find acceptable is all I'm after , the beauty of having a Youview box is it's easy to leave at contract end should a deal not be available.
    Well that's fine, but don't go making claims that you can't support.  :)
    I'm not after your approval and couldn't frankly careless whether you believe me or not.
    Sweet.  :D
    David8 said:
    It has arrived 
    Your a trialist, so I'm not surprised.
    David8 said:
    and I do have a touch as do the majority of Q users.
    @chiz SKY - supply two remotes with a 2TB silver. The normal one and the touch/voice.

So any more news when this will actually come to fruition for us mere mortals who don't have the privilege of being trialists? I prefer the YouView way of announcing things tbh.
    It's currently being rolled out in smaller batches. I'd imagine within the next few weeks for others.
    Thanks, is there anywhere on a Sky website I can check on this?
    This all sounds much like YouView. They have hide channels in the epg but not rolling it out to many.
    It sounds nothing like YouView. They have announced a change and it is being rolled out box by box and they have been explaining it all here. Sky have announced nothing and explained even less.
    @redchiz

Sky's corporate site states this month.
    Cool. Link? And why not anything customer facing? That second question is not directly aimed at you btw, just an open discussion point.
    redchiz said:
    ....(YouView hide channels in the epg) is being rolled out box by box....
    Now does redchiz mean one a week?