bye bye youview, hellow freeview play

diandalscotlanddiandalscotland Posts: 1Member
well it seems youview are doing nothing about the new update to boxes and app problem. so ive decided to ditch youview and buy a freeview play box. if more people did this maybe they would listen.

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭
    It's a shame your going to spend more money because change has happened since the start of next generation software. I wish you luck with your new box. I'm aware of more people having issues with freeview play however.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 12,977Member ✭✭✭
    Why would YouView listen?

They’ve got your money already, from the box you bought  >:)

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
  • David8David8 Posts: 627Member
    I rarely use my Youview box however on the odd occasion I do I seem to have a pink screen when turning it on and only way to get rid of it is to reboot.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,286Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 October 2017

hellow freeview play

Bi bi. Enjoy your new box.
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 113Member
    Well done.
    YouView will only decide to make changes when 1 thing happens,
    and that is money issues.
    That is the only time these big companies make drastic changes.
    they will not listen till everyone is unhappy and they know it. 
    good luck.
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 229Member
    Why would anyone replace a YouView with a subset functionality Freeview Play?

I've seen stranger cunning plans, just not recently
    DJHB1980 said:
    Well done.
    YouView will only decide to make changes when 1 thing happens,
    and that is money issues.
    No. YouView are actually a not for profit organisation. 
    As for Freeview Play? Its flawed beyond belief and introduces fragmentation even within its own platform, leaving each manufacturer to decide its own GUI on each device. With no guarantee that when a new model comes out the old will still be updated, as in the case of 4000Ts. 
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,069Member ✭✭
    It's a good job that YouView is a not for profit organisation Visionman. I can't pretend to be able to interpret the figures accurately, but according to Companies House records, YouView made a loss of about £8m in the year up to March 2016, with a revenue of around £23m. In contrast, in the year up to November 2016, the  figures for Sky group are a profit of £1.6bn on a revenue of £12bn. :o Making life Better.
    jonesh said:
    It's a good job that YouView is a not for profit organisation Visionman. I can't pretend to be able to interpret the figures accurately, but according to Companies House records, YouView made a loss of about £8m in the year up to March 2016, with a revenue of around £23m. In contrast, in the year up to November 2016, the  figures for Sky group are a profit of £1.6bn on a revenue of £12bn. :o Making life Better.
    Are they really a  "not for profit" company?  They reported profits of £921k in 2014 and £975k in 2013.  They just haven't been making any profit recently and do seem to have an interesting turnover level of directors.

This data suggests a sale to their mortgage holder BT surely can't be ruled out:   https://companycheck.co.uk/company/07308805/YOUVIEW-TV-LTD/financials#key-financials

Oh... an internet accountant! Thats a first! Its normally internet lawyers seen on the net.  :D
    Seriously though, the numbers quoted above are chicken feed compared to others.
    Netflix, for instance, have total negative liabilities in the region of $20 Billion!
    This articles a good read but I have to admit I didn't know about Disney and Fox -
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/15/16151944/netflix-disney-debt

Netflix will position itself as a premium standalone in the future in my opinion just like the likes of HBO and Showtime etc.

Once this happens it will find It's way onto more pay TV providers boxes.
    David8 said:
    Netflix will position itself as a premium standalone in the future in my opinion just like the likes of HBO and Showtime etc.

Once this happens it will find It's way onto more pay TV providers boxes.
    Yes, it’s on hardly anybody’s boxes at the moment  >:)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    Globally Roy I agree it isn't

Visionman said:
    Oh... an internet accountant! Thats a first! Its normally internet lawyers seen on the net.  :D
    Seriously though, the numbers quoted above are chicken feed compared to others.
    Netflix, for instance, have total negative liabilities in the region of $20 Billion!
    This articles a good read but I have to admit I didn't know about Disney and Fox -
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/15/16151944/netflix-disney-debt

Divert all you like, their filed reports clearly show that they've paid dividends from profits so are not the "not for profit" company you thought it important to suggest they were.    
    I'm sorry but you post like you know everything. And you post it like fact. When the truth is its just your opinion. 
    Visionman said:
    I'm sorry but you post like you know everything. And you post it like fact. When the truth is its just your opinion. 
    You do like your personal attacks don't you

Please feel free to show an example of where I posted an opinion as fact.  Meantime if you are expecting me to apologise for posting facts that refute that "YouView are actually a not for profit organisation" opinion that was posted as supposed fact then you will be disappointed.

"Meantime if you are expecting me to apologise for posting facts"
    Thats what I'm talking about right there. 
    Visionman said:
    "Meantime if you are expecting me to apologise for posting facts"
    Thats what I'm talking about right there. 
    So are you saying it is not a fact that YouView TV Ltd paid dividends in past years?  I can PM you chapter and verse if you like 
  • RobertRobert Posts: 184Member ✭✭
    I was going to add something but decided against it. Unfortunately this darn Vanilla software doesn't allow us to simply cancel what we wrote but insists on auto saving drafts. Hence, I've decided to write this waffle instead. Don't mind me. I'm bored tonight :D

Robert
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 597Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2017
    Hello @Robert

See my reply here

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/18989573#Comment_18989573

The cancel issue has been raised with Sarah, and hopefully we will have a resolution to it soon :)

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 8 October 2017
    Steve K said:
    jonesh said:
    Are they really a  "not for profit" company?

I don't know Steve. They are not a plc, but they are a Limited Company with profit and loss accounts, so . .  They aren't a charity, are they?
    Visionman said:
    the numbers quoted above are chicken feed compared to others.
    I am aware of that Visionman. YouView Ltd is a relatvely small company
    edited 9 October 2017
    jonesh said:
    Steve K said:
    jonesh said:

I don't know Steve. They are not a plc, but they are a Limited Company with profit and loss accounts, so . .  They aren't a charity, are they?
    Quite, they have 42,007 correction 4,278 issued shares all privately owned by companies or individuals and receiving dividends in the years they report profits.   

But we digress.  To get back to topic I still find it amazing that anyone would reject a YouView they already own to instead use a FreeView Play that does less and several report even that not very well.
    Anaglypta said:
    Hello @Robert

See my reply here

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/18989573#Comment_18989573

The cancel issue has been raised with Sarah, and hopefully we will have a resolution to it soon :)

John.

Thanks @Anaglypta
    Robert
    Steve K said:

But we digress.  To get back to topic I still find it amazing that anyone would reject a YouView they already own to instead use a FreeView Play that does less and several report even that not very well.
    I agree Steve. They could continue to use the YouView box as well as the FreeView Play one.
    Robert said:
    I was going to add something but decided against it. Unfortunately this darn Vanilla software doesn't allow us to simply cancel what we wrote but insists on auto saving drafts. Hence, I've decided to write this waffle instead. Don't mind me. I'm bored tonight :D

That’s OK. I got bored reading it  :D
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 90Member
    Visionman said: With no guarantee that when a new model comes out the old will still be updated......
    That would of been useful in the case of the YouView update away from the original one with the facilities that I paid for. Such as hide channels.
    edited 9 October 2017

jonesh said:
    Steve K said:

There is no special difference between a PLC and a Ltd, as regards profits; that’s a red herring here.

Structurally and technically, YouView is a Ltd, and is constrained and protected by the legal structures pertains to limited companies; but I know what Visionman means by it being a “not for profit” (apart from the old joke about “This is a non-profit company. We didn’t plan it that way, it’s just how it turned out”).

In that YouView behaves more like a non-profit, relying on financial contributions from outside, not expected to pay dividends to its shareholders even if it makes a surplus, but to reinvest that into the business.

But to actually be a non-profit would have YouView constrained by a whole different set of rules and procedures, which I doubt they would wish to be bound by.

However, even in the arcane world of high finance, cash is still king, and those graphs show YouView burning up its cash quite steadily since 2012, and it now being uncomfortably close to eating into its last half million.

Time for  remedial action there, I think.
    Roy they paid dividends of £1.4M in 2014 and £600k the year before.  It's all in the companies house links https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07308805/filing-history

Gets interesting if you click the charges tab (although the detail reading of it goes on a bit)  According to the last filed accounts they owed £14.9M to BT and Talk Talk as loans secured against IPR
    I think that eventually the much rumoured BT takeover/buyout will happen. It was rumoured to be on, then off, etc but I'd hazard a guess that at some stage BT will get control of the operation (provided they still want it of course). BT are too heavily invested not to step in at some stage to take the platform forward themselves. Then again, I've been wrong before, and probably will end up being wrong again. Time will tell I guess.
    Robert