bye bye youview, hellow freeview play

2»

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 229Member
    Robert said:
    I think that eventually the much rumoured BT takeover/buyout will happen. It was rumoured to be on, then off, etc but I'd hazard a guess that at some stage BT will get control of the operation (provided they still want it of course). BT are too heavily invested not to step in at some stage to take the platform forward themselves. Then again, I've been wrong before, and probably will end up being wrong again. Time will tell I guess.
    IMHO time will prove you to be right. 

And such a takeover will be no bad thing.  Someone with vision and resources needs to grab this whole issue and sort it.  There is a lot that's very good about the YouView box.  It could and should be a top end user friendly box with functionality that takes customers from Sky and Virgin.  But the reality is for most users YouView is on track to end the year with a worse user experience than it started.  They could care less if it's written in HTML5, C++, Flash or even Fortran.  People just want it to work well.  

Rant over and yes VM that was opinion.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 12,977Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 October 2017
    The YouView versus Freeview Play thing is nowadays the wrong battleground though.

it used to be a big thing that YouView had all the ‘big four’ Players at all, when very few other devices did, with the backward EPG being the icing on the cake. Then Freeview Play came along with the same features, and made an equally big thing of them.

Except it has neatly painted itself into a corner with its emphasis on ‘free’.

And now the battleground is on the subscription Players - Netflix, which YouView has, NowTV, where it has Movies only, and Amazon Video, which it hasn’t got at all.

I have all three on my TV, but what is missing, as was touched on in The Times this morning (paywalled, but here is essentially the same thing), is the integration of these; what is where, for what price, across these services and the Players offered by the terrestrial broadcasters, for which currently you need to use an app like JustWatch.

This integration is something that, perhaps uniquely, YouView is poised to offer. Or would be, if only it had NowTV complete, and Amazon Video at all.

And all these services, even the terrestrial Players, now recognise the shift to binge-watching - the one to two week window that the 7-day backward EPG was predicated on is no more. It’s still useful, mind, but no longer the advantage it was.

i always wanted YouView to be the ‘one box to rule them all’.

It now has a new opportunity to be that, and to be more than that with an activated integrated search that even other boxes and TVs with all these Players on them, but siloed, can’t ever be.

But will YouView grasp this opportunity at last?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,278Member ✭✭✭
    Robert said:
    I think that eventually the much rumoured BT takeover/buyout will happen.
    I keep hearing of these rumours, but have never seen anything about them, perhaps you could assist?
  • scottscott Posts: 1,614Member ✭✭
    redchiz said:
    Robert said:
    I think that eventually the much rumoured BT takeover/buyout will happen.
    I keep hearing of these rumours, but have never seen anything about them, perhaps you could assist?

you mean this rumour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/22/bt-in-60m-youview-takeover-talks-with-bbc/

LOL Is that it, does that even qualify as a rumour?
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭
    edited 9 October 2017
    Robert said:
    I think that eventually the much rumoured BT takeover/buyout will happen. It was rumoured to be on, then off, etc but I'd hazard a guess that at some stage BT will get control of the operation (provided they still want it of course). BT are too heavily invested not to step in at some stage to take the platform forward themselves. Then again, I've been wrong before, and probably will end up being wrong again. Time will tell I guess.
    I for one hope bt don't outright own youview in the future. I can see the retail box disappearing from the high Street if this where to happen and I would be looking for a new set top box even though money has been spent.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,286Member ✭✭✭
    Daniel said:
    Robert said:
    I for one hope bt don't outright own youview in the future. I can see the retail box disappearing from the high Street if this where to happen and I would be looking for a new set top box even though money has been spent.
    I can't. Its too good a standalone hybrid PVR for that to happen. Plus whilst retail may only be a small revenue stream, its still a revenue stream.
    Steve K said:
    Why would anyone replace a YouView with a subset functionality Freeview Play?

I've seen stranger cunning plans, just not recently
    Well having just read the spec of the new Humax 5000 Freeview Play Recorder I may just retract that.

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/fvp-5000t/ 

The devil will be in the detail though.  Does it do jump to replay point etc etc?  I guess we wait and see and also whether YouView issue a 5000 box based on this hardware.

edited 12 October 2017
    Well, the boat has finally sailed...

The ‘one box (or stick, at least) to rule them all’, and with integrated cross-App Search, has finally arrived on these shores, and will be available within the week. HD £30, UHD £80.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited 12 October 2017

Roy said:
    Well, the boat has finally sailed...

The ‘one box (or stick, at least) to rule them all’, and with integrated cross-App Search, has finally arrived on these shores, and will be available within the week. HD £30, UHD £80.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products

How many channels can this PVR record at once?

edited 12 October 2017
    As many as the number of OTA Freeview Channels it can receive  :p

Oh, and if you can find a 2017 PVR for £30, or even £80, do let me know.
    edited 12 October 2017
    Roy said:

It's a decent item for the price but not even close to 'one box to rule them all'. This thread is about Youview v Freeview play. The Roku stick is something different all together, my LG tv has apps for all the Roku has and more without any cost. The only thing it doesn't have is cross app search.

Don't get me wrong I think the roku is an interesting proposition but for me as an add on to Youview never instead of....  

P.S. Does it have a BT Sport app? 

Roy said:

As Scott points out this is nothing like a comparable PVR as it doesn't cover the channel mix that a Freeview PVR does

As for your £30 challenge.  Easy Peasy, just shove a £5 USB drive in my (and many new) TV and it gives you a basic PVR.  Just not a very good one
    I agree that a Roku is an "and" rather than an "or," having had one for a while as a useful adjunct to various TVs/PVRs. Still no sign of UKTV Play coming to that device though, sadly.
    Its interesting Humax haven't yet released or confirmed what the 5000T will or won't do.
    Or if they will continue updates to their still relatively new 4000T.

"Its everything YouView was supposed to be."
    Theres a radio 4 broadcast of that on here, somewhere.
  • RobertRobert Posts: 184Member ✭✭
    There's a wee bit of reading here https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-fvp-5000t-1 and here https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp-5000t-im-well-annoyed
    It's the best info out there at present that I can find.

Robert
    I've found out (via the My Humax forum) the 4000T & 5000T contain exactly the same hardware under the hood. So this change must be software/firmware driven. Which begs the question why not just update the 4000T? Unless its just a push to drive new sales and leave the 4000T in its wake.

Pure speculation, of course. But they're very close to launch with no details announced.
    Visionman said:
    I didn’t enjoy having to start some stupid ad video before I could read this  :#

And whoever did the review seems to have let the 4000T go entirely unnoticed, comparing it instead only to the 2000T.

Which it also calls the only competition to the 5000T.

Perhaps the reviewer is as blind to the YouView 2000 as he is to the Humax 4000T?
    They compare it to the 2000 because as they say "the FVP-5000T is set to replace our previous favourite, the HDR-2000T". What HiFi have always compared any other Freeview pvr variant against the 2000 as they've always had that particular model as the pick of the bunch.
    @Roy ; Have you ever thought of using an ad blocker so that video ads etc will not appear on your browser?
    Robert
    edited 13 October 2017
    Robert said:
    They compare it to the 2000 because as they say "the FVP-5000T is set to replace our previous favourite, the HDR-2000T". What HiFi have always compared any other Freeview pvr variant against the 2000 as they've always had that particular model as the pick of the bunch.
    @Roy ; Have you ever thought of using an ad blocker so that video ads etc will not appear on your browser?
    So they dismissed the 4000T in favour of the 2000T still, but the 5000T just aced it?

The 2000T is hardly the only competition to the 5000T though; and even What HiFi know what’s out there

As regards an ad blocker @Robert, have you been to the site? All the review below the video ad is obscured, and until you start the ad like a good little boy, it doesn’t unobscure.

I’m not sure how an ad blocker would deal with that situation...
    I agree with you Roy, I simply wanted to point out the reason THEY gave for their comparison.

I use AdBlock and Disconnect on the Firefox browser and I've never encountered those video ads on the site.
    Robert
2»