All4 BT YouView box Poor picture quality

MagicManMagicMan Posts: 1Member
So the quality of the programs is rubbish. 480p I reckon. The adverts play perfectly. Then the program starts and it’s like I’m back in 2004. I’ve got BT Infinity so it’s not a network speed issue. Is there an option to change playback quality on the all4 app on the YouView box?

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭
    Nope channel 4 only provide all 4 in standard definition.
  • alal Posts: 1,233Member ✭✭
    The picture quality of All4 is so bad even my wife noticed it!
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,286Member ✭✭✭
    I've just tried it on The Great British Bake Off and the quality is indeed dire and well below that of a normal SD channel, which is incredibly poor for a PSB. 
    I've just completed a Google search. ALL4 is complained about on all platforms, TVs and boxes.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,278Member ✭✭✭
    Crumbs!
    edited 11 October 2017
    If channel 4 don't want to provide hd catch up or even a standard definition stream that  people will be happy with your only recourse is either to complain to channel 4 or record everything on channel 4s hd channels.
  • David8David8 Posts: 627Member
    I've just tried this in SD on catch up on Sky and thankfully the picture is excellent for SD it's also available in HD.

The terrestrial online players with the exception of the BBC are generally poor. 
    OK, just tried it myself out of curiosity and it is indeed very poor on the YouView box. On Sky Q the download system which they use rather than streaming provides a HD picture.
    Agreed but I tried the SD download and it's pretty decent quality.
    @David8 Just curious, why would you go for the SD option?
    I was checking the quality of the SD version supplied to Sky to see if the quality was as bad as the All4 player. 
    Ah, I'm with you, ta.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,286Member ✭✭✭
    Believe in better... Yet another exclusive contract?
    I watched big bang theory in the small hours on all 4. Noticeable drop in picture quality since they changed the app. It's the first time I used it since the changes. Some may hate the mandatory sign in as well.