Mising 11 HD channels

robin0800robin0800 Posts: 11Member
https://www.youview.com/results/
Putting 21 and BN2 6BN in the above link shows 17HD channels I only have 6 it would appear  that these 11 are not available on any nearby transmitter.
Does YouView think they are or will be there soon? 
Tagged:

Comments

• alal Posts: 1,233Member ✭✭
    There is a bit more information here:
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/BN2+6BN/21/0/h2ng48ejf7vge43a9cg1v7hij0
    It looks like the yv predictor thinks you can get a signal from crystal palace or rowridge (com7 and com8). If you can't get them now I wouldn't worry as it looks like they'll be turned off in a couple of years anyway.
    If you really want them, satellite might be the answer.
  • robin0800robin0800 Posts: 11Member
    Both of those two show variable reception and what is worst they are both horizontally polarized where as the local transmitters are all Vertical.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 597Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 October 2017
    It's a bit of a difficult one. All of the 30 transmitters being upgraded were completed by the beginning of July 2015. Those transmitters and the channels they carry are shown in this a516digital article.

As al says, com7 and com8 are due to be switched off in a few years when some of the old DVB-T muxes will get upgraded to DVB-T2 increasing HD capacity.

So it's up to you if you want to buy a new aerial and point it at a different (more marginal reception) transmitter, or wait it out. :(

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Yes I will wait it out but using the freeview checker it says 6 HD channels which is correct and only youview 17 HD channels.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 597Member ✭✭✭
    robin0800 said:
    Yes I will wait it out but using the freeview checker it says 6 HD channels which is correct and only youview 17 HD channels.
    @robin0800

The YouView predictor also says that your closest transmitter is Bevendean - which it is - but that transmitter can't provide the totals in the "Your Available Channels" prediction. So at best the YouView predictor should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

It is obviously basing its prediction on the other transmitters in the list it retrieves from DigitalUK with scant regard to the reception you are likely to receive, or the fact that you may have to have a new aerial installed.

So in this case @YouView a huge fail.  :/

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • RoyRoy Posts: 12,977Member ✭✭✭
    Looks like the predictor has died of shame - it isn’t working at all at the moment.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
  • alal Posts: 1,233Member ✭✭
    Anaglypta said:
    ... when some of the old DVB-T muxes will get upgraded to DVB-T2 increasing HD capacity.
    As much as this makes sense and many people have been talking about this for years, I have never seen any documents to back this up.
    All the documents I found are old 2013 have no idea what the state of play is now in 2017 it seems to just need com7 and com8 added to local transmitters in the correct polarisation.
    Not sure if this is in the pipeline or there is some technical reason why this can't be done? 
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Posts: 113Member
    The only way you will get those extra FreeView channels is move house as FreeView isn’t get any better any sooner. 
    DJHB1980 said:
    The only way you will get those extra FreeView channels is move house as FreeView isn’t get any better any sooner. 
    This though perhaps true does not realy answer the technical question which is if they can or when they will? I still don't know the answer to these questions.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 12,977Member ✭✭✭

Fill this in with your query and send it.

Perhaps they can help you further.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    Roy said:

Fill this in with your query and send it.

Perhaps they can help you further.
    Have just done this, many thanks