Aspect ratio suddenly changed on one channel only

The other day I changed the channel to the Universal channel and it was suddenly showing it in 4:3 instead of the normal 16:9. The picture is squashed to fit into 4:3 and I know the shows normally show in 16:9 so it's not a case of the shows being filmed in this ratio. I checked my TVs settings, they hadn't changed and no other channel is affected. It's starting to drive me a bit crazy as I was watch this channel regularly and know it shouldn't be like this, just can't figure out what to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Programmes that were made in 4:3 are shown in 4:3 by the YouView box, but re-encoded into 16:9, with a black bar each side, so your TV is not aware this was a 4:3 programme originally, and cannot widen it again for you.

However, if the programme is genuinely 16:9, and being squashed, this would imply that Universal were incorrectly sending out the 4:3 flag instead of the 16:9 flag with the programme.

If you can say which programme(s) these were, and how you are getting Universal (BT or TalkTalk YouView subscription?) then YouView’s Content Team can investigate for you.

Was this a temporary thing, or is it ongoing?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • nodrog52nodrog52 Posts: 1Member
    Same problem!  And it's all the time. Currently watching White Collar which is not old and was previously 16x9. 
    Please investigate 
    Cheers 
  • It's constant, with every programme that (including white collar, Chicago med, law and order SUV, etc) and adverts. You can see the picture has been squashed. Like I stated before I know it's not because the programme should be like this, thinking it's a problem with the channel. I have a BT YouView subscription. 
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 629Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 October 2017, 4:26PM
    @winchestergirl22
    @nodrog52

Sounds like the channel is being transmitted in the wrong aspect ratio. Maybe @Sarah can investigate from  YouView's perspective, and I would also suggest that anyone affected drop Universal an email to

Viewers.UniversalChannelUK@nbcuni.com

and ask them to check it out.

John.

EDIT Link added

http://www.universalchannel.co.uk/contact-us
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 809Member ✭✭
    Looking at both 320 and 385 the SD and HD  Universal channels this early evening  (NCIS) I don't see a current problem.
  • Just checked the channel and whatever the problem was it's now fixed. 
  • As of last night the problem on the universal channel of the wrong aspect ratio has returned, so I'm assuming it's the same as before, that they are transmitting the wrong aspect ratio?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    As of last night the problem on the universal channel of the wrong aspect ratio has returned, so I'm assuming it's the same as before, that they are transmitting the wrong aspect ratio?
    Yes.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • I've emailed them anyway as was suggested before
  • SarahSarah Posts: 482Administrator admin
    Hi @winchestergirl22
    Did you get a response from the Universal Channel regarding this issue? If it's still happening, please let me know and we can raise this with our Content team to get looked into. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah