[Discussion] BT software update 29.27.0

1234568

Comments

  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 295Member
    Grunders said:
    FYI (for those still waiting):

    2 days ago (16th Nov) my box finally found and updated to 29.27.0.  Previous manual software checks done every 2 or 3 days prior were not detecting new updates (and the 'automatic update' feature has never worked anyway) so I can only assume it has then hit my region (1 month after initial release).
    Is it region based?  I'm in the SE (Heathfield Transmitter) and my DTRT-2100 updated to 29.27 immediately I first powered it up several weeks ago
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Steve K said:
    Grunders said:
    FYI (for those still waiting):

    2 days ago (16th Nov) my box finally found and updated to 29.27.0.  Previous manual software checks done every 2 or 3 days prior were not detecting new updates (and the 'automatic update' feature has never worked anyway) so I can only assume it has then hit my region (1 month after initial release).
    Is it region based?  I'm in the SE (Heathfield Transmitter) and my DTRT-2100 updated to 29.27 immediately I first powered it up several weeks ago
    No; we can deduce it is not that when of two users in our road with identical BT boxes, one has been updated, the other not.

    We can also deduce it isn’t age, and has to be something that explains how I have been near the start, in the middle, and near the end, of various OldGen releases. Assuming NextGen has the same rules.

    And I suspect it can only be based on model/variant as the major differentiator of which boxes to what release, and serial number within that for the progressive rollout.

    But what the algorithm is, seems to be a closely guarded secret. Want my guess? Last digit, 0-9, but sorted into random order for each release. Or something like that - maybe more digits, maybe from elsewhere in the serial number.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 295Member
    Well that's a theory that explains the relevant facts.   The real issue surely is rate of delivery

    29.27 has been in roll out for a month now and some BT Retail boxes still haven't got 28.26 after over 4 months.  This suggests that whoever is hosting the roll out servers for BT needs to upgrade from the ZX80 + cassette deck + dial up modem they appear to be using  ;)
  • GrundersGrunders Posts: 127Member
    Steve K said:
    .... some BT Retail boxes still haven't got 28.26 after over 4 months.  This suggests that whoever is hosting the roll out servers for BT needs to upgrade from the ZX80 + cassette deck + dial up modem they appear to be using ..........
    ....or it suggests they are still relying on the AUTOMATIC software update to work.  It has never worked on my box (3 or 4 software updates since I've owned it). It always says that it has checked 'today' and every day no update is performed.  Yet, when you do the manual check, lo and behold there's the new software update downloading.  So, to be sure, get the box owners to do a MANUAL software check.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,097Member ✭✭
    edited 19 November 2017, 1:06PM
    Grunders said:
    ~ AUTOMATIC software updade ~ .  It has never worked on my box (3 or 4 software updates since I've owned it). It always says that it has checked 'today' and every day no update is performed.  Yet, when you do the manual check, lo and behold there's the new software update downloading.  So, to be sure, get the box owners to do a MANUAL software check.
    The box checks for updates in the early hours of the morning, but updates are released during the day. If you do a manual check for updates after one has been made available but before the box has checked, then the box will update. If you regularly check for updates in the evening, then the box will not get the chance to update itself automatically.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Steve K said:
    Well that's a theory that explains the relevant facts.   The real issue surely is rate of delivery

    29.27 has been in roll out for a month now and some BT Retail boxes still haven't got 28.26 after over 4 months.  This suggests that whoever is hosting the roll out servers for BT needs to upgrade from the ZX80 + cassette deck + dial up modem they appear to be using  ;)
    Given that one side of a C90 would hold about 80k, it is left as an exercise for the reader to check out the feasibility of the above light-hearted supposition  :p
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 November 2017, 6:24PM
    C'mon Roy... everything on here and about YouView is a disaster of biblical proportions and is the worst platform ever introduced to man or beast. Everyone knows that.  B)
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 629Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 November 2017, 6:36PM
    Roy said:
    Steve K said:
    Well that's a theory that explains the relevant facts.   The real issue surely is rate of delivery

    29.27 has been in roll out for a month now and some BT Retail boxes still haven't got 28.26 after over 4 months.  This suggests that whoever is hosting the roll out servers for BT needs to upgrade from the ZX80 + cassette deck + dial up modem they appear to be using  ;)
    Given that one side of a C90 would hold about 80k, it is left as an exercise for the reader to check out the feasibility of the above light-hearted supposition  :p


    I know it's not a Spectrum - but they all sounded the same!

    John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    Ha Ha! LOL! My 48k Elite tape would hardly ever load due to the stupid spyglass.
    One can play it online now. Its called Oolite. And yes, I've had a dabble.  B)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    C'mon Roy... everything on here and about YouView is a disaster of biblical proportions and is the worst platform ever introduced to man or beast. Everyone knows that.  B)
    I can tell you have never tried to build a piece of IKEA flatpack furniture  :#
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 295Member
    Grunders said:
    Steve K said:
    .... some BT Retail boxes still haven't got 28.26 after over 4 months.  This suggests that whoever is hosting the roll out servers for BT needs to upgrade from the ZX80 + cassette deck + dial up modem they appear to be using ..........
    ....or it suggests they are still relying on the AUTOMATIC software update to work.  It has never worked on my box (3 or 4 software updates since I've owned it). It always says that it has checked 'today' and every day no update is performed.  Yet, when you do the manual check, lo and behold there's the new software update downloading.  So, to be sure, get the box owners to do a MANUAL software check.
    A theory that fits the facts :)

    And which would suggest another software bug for YV to investigate
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Grunders said:
    Steve K said:
    .... some BT Retail boxes still haven't got 28.26 after over 4 months.
    ....or it suggests they are still relying on the AUTOMATIC software update to work.  It has never worked on my box (3 or 4 software updates since I've owned it). It always says that it has checked 'today' and every day no update is performed.  Yet, when you do the manual check, lo and behold there's the new software update downloading.  So, to be sure, get the box owners to do a MANUAL software check.
    @Steve K 
    A citation or citations would be welcome.

    @Grunders

    You can’t possibly get an update every time you do a manual check. How often have you done a manual check and got nothing?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,097Member ✭✭
    edited 20 November 2017, 11:24AM
    If a box is updated manually there is no way of knowing if it would have updated itself automatically the following night.
  • GrundersGrunders Posts: 127Member
    edited 22 November 2017, 8:13AM
    Come on guys, this isnt hard to understand.

    4 updates of software of my box in the last year.  Knowing there are updates due, after leaving many days for the system to sort itself via the automatic updates (and not succeeding) a periodic manual check was performed leaving a gap of quite a few days between each attempt.  Each manual check failed to find an update which matches the results of the earlier automatic check that day.  But each successful update was by responding ONLY to a Manual Software check.  Each manual software check was on the same day that the system said it had already done an automatic check that same day.

    Now, you could argue that my manual software check, (the first since the last manual check some many days before) was also after the network 'released' the update that very same day and that the release was made after the early morning automatic check.  Possible?  Yes.....if my manual check was every day.  But as there are 6 days between my manual checks, I happen to coincidentally always do a manual check on the day it gets released?  Likely?  No.  And to do the same thing on each of the four times there was a successful update check?  Likely, not at all.

    Or the other more likely explanation is that the automatic check that has taken place every day for the last few days since I last did a manual check simply failed to find the update that has recently been released and ready.  The new software is there to be found but the automatic update feature simply doesnt work and continues to fail to do so for some days.  Each time it relied on a forced manual check to find it.

    And if you want the real proof:  I know that when I bought the box (in the OldGen days) it was on an old version of software and that the newer version had already been rolled out. (The newer version had increased start-up times and introduced the smart-standby feature I think). Yet despite me having automatic updates enabled for 2 weeks or more it still failed to update and I needed the forced update to upgrade.

    Anyway, I CBA to debate this.  If this update (or lack of) issue affects you as a reader, you might take heed of my warnings that it probably needs a manually check and it may help or not.  If this doesnt affect you then dont waste your time reading what I write....or replying to it.

  • StompaStompa Posts: 31Member
    mitchtv said:
    HDMI Switching Issues

    Hi my DTRT-2100 updated to the new software yesterday evening but an issue I've noticed is powering on the youview before the update my Sony TV would happily switch over to the HDMI input ready for me to watch youview and would switch back again when puting the youview box back into standby now it doesn't has any changes been made to HDMI switching control with this update I now have to select the correct TV HDMI input manually :(    
    Having now received 29.27.0, I also find that HDMI switching has gone from being intermittently broken (in earlier versions) to completely broken. And given that I don't see any new features/fixes that are of use to me, this seems more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

  • Nick7Nick7 Posts: 79Member
    Stompa said:
    mitchtv said:
    HDMI Switching Issues

    Hi my DTRT-2100 updated to the new software yesterday evening but an issue I've noticed is powering on the youview before the update my Sony TV would happily switch over to the HDMI input ready for me to watch youview and would switch back again when puting the youview box back into standby now it doesn't has any changes been made to HDMI switching control with this update I now have to select the correct TV HDMI input manually :(    
    Having now received 29.27.0, I also find that HDMI switching has gone from being intermittently broken (in earlier versions) to completely broken. And given that I don't see any new features/fixes that are of use to me, this seems more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

    Don't worry, it will be fixed within the next 7 months.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    Stompa
    Interesting. Mine has gone from being intermittently broken to now more often than not.
    Though the experience will be different for everyone, as third party kit connections come into play here. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    Stompa said:
    Having now received 29.27.0, I also find that HDMI switching has gone from being intermittently broken (in earlier versions) to completely broken. And given that I don't see any new features/fixes that are of use to me, this seems more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

    29.27.0 new features -
    19th October 2017 
    Hide and un-hide individual channels in the guide only
    Hide individual channels from a particular category
    Continue watching next episode in a MyTV series recording
    Playback bar timeout is quicker 
    Improved information bar in MyTV
    Improvements to the delete confirmation screen 
    Bug fixes and speed increments
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 189Member
    My BT Youview T2100 box has still not got this new update. Yet update has been out for nearly 3 weeks.

    Darren
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Darren said:
    My BT Youview T2100 box has still not got this new update. Yet update has been out for nearly 3 weeks.

    Darren
    That is not unusual (as Tom Jones would say) - releases run for a good bit longer than that.

    And you should only panic when this page says the rollout is complete for your box model, which it doesn’t yet, and won’t for a fair while.

    But given the allegements that automatic updates are not working for some people, have you tried a manual update?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 189Member
    Roy said:
    Darren said:
    My BT Youview T2100 box has still not got this new update. Yet update has been out for nearly 3 weeks.

    Darren
    That is not unusual (as Tom Jones would say) - releases run for a good bit longer than that.

    And you should only panic when this page says the rollout is complete for your box model, which it doesn’t yet, and won’t for a fair while.

    But given the allegements that automatic updates are not working for some people, have you tried a manual update?

    Thanks for the reply and link Roy. I have tried a manual update for times in the last week or so with no luck. Will just have to wait and see if it get theupdate by the end of the month.

    Darren

  • StompaStompa Posts: 31Member
    Visionman said:

    29.27.0 new features -
    19th October 2017 
    Hide and un-hide individual channels in the guide only
    Hide individual channels from a particular category
    Continue watching next episode in a MyTV series recording
    Playback bar timeout is quicker 
    Improved information bar in MyTV
    Improvements to the delete confirmation screen 
    Bug fixes and speed increments
    Thanks, I know that, but:

    Hide and un-hide individual channels in the guide only
    Since I only use the box for recording & playback, that's not something I've ever felt the need to use.

    Hide individual channels from a particular category
    Not something I've ever felt the need to use.

    Continue watching next episode in a MyTV series recording
    I'm highly unlikely ever to want to watch consecutive episodes.

    Playback bar timeout is quicker
    I didn't consider that a problem anyway.

    Improved information bar in MyTV
    Fair enough but not an issue I was concerned about.

    Improvements to the delete confirmation screen 
    That's an improvement on what can only be described as a schoolboy error. It's still flawed in that it doesn't distinguish between different episodes of the same programme.

    Bug fixes and speed increments
    Fair enough, not sure I've noticed them though!


  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    I understand, each to their own and all that. But they are still improvements. They aren't there yet, so still much work to do. :)
  • DaveGrohlDaveGrohl Posts: 72Member
    Playback bar timeout is quicker? Really? NOW I'm interested!! So it's been reduced from a truly horrific 8 seconds down to what? Nothing else interests me in this update. I'm still not over the fact that the previous update broke my box's pause function.
  • Nick7Nick7 Posts: 79Member
    Just trying to fix what they messed up in the last "update" has probably delayed progress for another year or so. Don't think we'll ever get back the features they stripped from us at this rate.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    @Stompa

    It’s not all about you, you know  :p

    But re:

    Hide and un-hide individual channels in the guide only
    “Since I only use the box for recording & playback, that's not something I've ever felt the need to use.”

    So do you not record from the Guide, and if you do, could you not potentially benefit from a more streamlined one in which you have hidden all the channels you know you will never record from?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • GrundersGrunders Posts: 127Member
    DaveGrohl said:
    Playback bar timeout is quicker? Really? NOW I'm interested!! So it's been reduced from a truly horrific 8 seconds down to what?
    Dont get excited.  Its still about 6 seconds - a good 4 seconds too long.  And still a full half screen of blue/black dog collectively covering your screen from the top and the bottom when its on.  What is actually shortened is the banner when you change channel - that now disappears after 3 seconds (better, but still at least 1 second too long for me.  How long does it take to read 3 words of a program title?)
  • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member

    GrundersDaveGrohl

     

    You obviously disagree with Youview’s mandate to cater for all, whereby some users need:-

    a)   to be told that the picture has frozen because pause has been pressed

    b)    to  be reminder what programme they are watching

    c)   when play is pressed to be told that the programme has resumed

    d)  that all messages are to be displayed for a sufficient duration that caters for the slower readers

    e)      The above principle deemed to be of high priority than being able to view the bottom third of the screen, include sport actions or subtitles

     

    ………  But with passion so do I





  • StompaStompa Posts: 31Member
    Roy said:
    @Stompa

    It’s not all about you, you know  :p

    But re:

    Hide and un-hide individual channels in the guide only
    “Since I only use the box for recording & playback, that's not something I've ever felt the need to use.”

    So do you not record from the Guide, and if you do, could you not potentially benefit from a more streamlined one in which you have hidden all the channels you know you will never record from?
    Not particularly. I rarely record anything on a non-HD channel, and HD are contiguous anyway. And if I do need to access a specific channel I tend to just enter the channel number, rather than finding it by scrolling.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 861Member ✭✭
    Grunders said:
    DaveGrohl said:
    Playback bar timeout is quicker? Really? NOW I'm interested!! So it's been reduced from a truly horrific 8 seconds down to what?
    Dont get excited.  Its still about 6 seconds - a good 4 seconds too long.  And still a full half screen of blue/black dog collectively covering your screen from the top and the bottom when its on.  What is actually shortened is the banner when you change channel - that now disappears after 3 seconds (better, but still at least 1 second too long for me.  How long does it take to read 3 words of a program title?)

    Surely the only change to the playback bar timeout is when you change channel. 
    Which I would have thought was one of the few times that you might want time to read the programme title and how far into the programme you are. 
    (For example when you're just stepping through the channels with the programme up/down buttons.) 
Sign In or Register to comment.