[Discussion] Humax software update 29.27.0

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    I don't know what you mean, sorry. Whats your make and model of box and ISP?
    And it is on 29.27.0, yes?
    That last poster wasn’t petershaw9; but his requested details, apart from ISP, are in his second screenshot.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    • ISP is ICUK who use TalkTalk Business infrastructure.
    • Other apps [Now TV / iPlayer] work fine.
    • Have tried reloading the NetFlix app and a full unplug/reboot of the box [Humax] but no difference.
    •  Have ended up on this thread as I was tying to update the player software manually and finding the "can't update" issue that is mentioned above.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks both for that. Try signing out and then back into Netflix using a laptop or PC, not via the box. As on Netflix your laptop or PC is the primary account connected to all devices. Then try it again.
  • Visionman said:
    Thanks both for that. Try signing out and then back into Netflix using a laptop or PC, not via the box. As on Netflix your laptop or PC is the primary account connected to all devices. Then try it again.
    I don't actually have a Netflix account [though have had in the past and have used on the DTR2000]. Have just been to the Netflix website from my PC - can't login / recover password etc. so assume my account has been removed.
  • Visionman said:
    I don't know what you mean, sorry. Whats your make and model of box and ISP?
    And it is on 29.27.0, yes?
    It says so in the release notes:

This software version currently supports these box models:
      • T2000

This version says it’s only compatible with the T2000.  Does this mean development has been abandoned on older models?
      No, it means 29.27.0 was only for retail T2000s but is now being released to BT 2000 subscription boxes, as YouView release updates in batches.
    • steve23094steve23094 Posts: 55Member
      Visionman said:
      This version says it’s only compatible with the T2000.  Does this mean development has been abandoned on older models?
      No, it means 29.27.0 was only for retail T2000s but is now being released to BT 2000 subscription boxes, as YouView release updates in batches.
      I see that previous release notes state explicitly state that they are compatible with older boxes out the gate or that older boxes will be rolled out at a later date.  Has YouView forgotten to add this text?
    • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member

Have Youview issued a schedule of when they will stop providing updates for aged platforms?

No. But to say that YouView have maintained 5 year old kit (T1000s). despite the fact many newer models have come out, is not only to be lauded but unheard of.

Is that the result of commercial pressure from BT / Talktalk because they want to milk / sweat their assets?

How much does that impede the youview team i.e. would updates be developed / released quicker if their target was limited to the new range of devices – e.g.  3 years old?

At some point I would expect the software support for my device to change from:-

- fully supported (new features and bug fixes)

- to legacy supported – bug fixes only

- to unsupported

Or am I standing on the wrong base plate?

edited 25 November 2017, 5:33PM
      "Is that the result of commercial pressure from BT / Talktalk because they want to milk / sweat their assets?"
      Actually dave3 the opposite is true. If a sub (subscription) user is having problems with their T1000 both BT and TalkTalk will quite happily swap it out for the latest model, at no extra cost. Its YouView that have given the commitment to continue supporting devices for the span of their life.
      "How much does that impede the youview team i.e. would updates be developed / released quicker if their target was limited to the new range of devices – e.g.  3 years old?"
      No effect whatsoever.
      "At some point I would expect the software support for my device to change from:-

- fully supported (new features and bug fixes)

- to legacy supported – bug fixes only

- to unsupported 

Or am I standing on the wrong base plate?"

Theres been no official announcement on the above, but I wouldn't disagree with your supposition that they will change from fully supported to legacy supported. But they will never be unsupported.
    • Visionman said:
      No. But to say that YouView have maintained 5 year old kit (T1000s). despite the fact many newer models have come out, is not only to be lauded but unheard of.
      And what spec upgrades does the T2000 have over the T1000 that makes the T1000 unable to support Continue to next recording, Playback bar timeout is quicker and Information bar in MyTV?

It would occur to me that these basic interface changes would have no need to rely on processing power at all.
      Visionman said:
      And what spec upgrades does the T2000 have over the T1000 that makes the T1000 unable to support Continue to next recording, Playback bar timeout is quicker and Information bar in MyTV?

It would occur to me that these basic interface changes would have no need to rely on processing power at all.
      Why and based on what?
    • Visionman said:
      Visionman said:

Why and based on what?
      Common sense.  Changing a timer, and making some simple interface changes doesn’t put any additional burden on hardware.  Anybody that thinks otherwise will just be a YouView apologist.
    • KeithKeith Posts: 2,341Member, Champion mod
      My understanding is that historically/traditionally YouView used the T1000 as the reference box against which they did a lot of the development and testing. Developments had to run on the the T1000 and run acceptably before they would be considered fit for rollout.

The retail T1000 are currently running 28.35.0 (released 9/8/2017). 29.27.0 brings some further minor improvements, all of which I would expect to run fine on a T1000. Quite why the BT (non-retail) boxes are still being held back at 27.50.0 is unclear, although one might suspect there is some issue with how they are performing for ISP internet channels or ISP specific player issues. It seems for those in contract they can request a replacement T2000, and I would encourage all to do that. There would then be the inconvenience of watching up the content on the old box, but once tidy you are left with a much better box.

My understanding is the limited performance of the T1000 has at times meant they have had to code very efficiently and resourcefully to stay within the constraints of that box. Whilst I would not wish YouView to write inefficient code, this constraint is presumably becoming more difficult to manage over time as they add features, or look to add features.

I would like to see YouView polish up more of the shortcomings of next gen and get this out to all boxes. Once next gen is then more well-rounded they could more reasonably (if they wish) mark the oldest box models as legacy systems that would only get key fixes (for some reasonable period). The T2000 would then be the reference system against which all new developments must run well on, and ideally we would see some more coming out the end of the development pipeline (and ideally with the version release roll out to each box type only taking a couple of weeks rather than many as seems to often be the case of late).
    • Keith said:
      My understanding is that historically/traditionally YouView used the T1000 as the reference box against which they did a lot of the development and testing. Developments had to run on the the T1000 and run acceptably before they would be considered fit for rollout.

The retail T1000 are currently running 28.35.0 (released 9/8/2017). 29.27.0 brings some further minor improvements, all of which I would expect to run fine on a T1000. Quite why the BT (non-retail) boxes are still being held back at 27.50.0 is unclear, although one might suspect there is some issue with how they are performing for ISP internet channels or ISP specific player issues. It seems for those in contract they can request a replacement T2000, and I would encourage all to do that. There would then be the inconvenience of watching up the content on the old box, but once tidy you are left with a much better box.

My understanding is the limited performance of the T1000 has at times meant they have had to code very efficiently and resourcefully to stay within the constraints of that box. Whilst I would not wish YouView to write inefficient code, this constraint is presumably becoming more difficult to manage over time as they add features, or look to add features.

I would like to see YouView polish up more of the shortcomings of next gen and get this out to all boxes. Once next gen is then more well-rounded they could more reasonably (if they wish) mark the oldest box models as legacy systems that would only get key fixes (for some reasonable period). The T2000 would then be the reference system against which all new developments must run well on, and ideally we would see some more coming out the end of the development pipeline (and ideally with the version release roll out to each box type only taking a couple of weeks rather than many as seems to often be the case of late).
      I have had done a search but couldn’t find any info.  Do you know anywhere where there is a record of what hardware is in each model (CPU, RAM etc)?
      edited 26 November 2017, 12:27PM

I have had done a search but couldn’t find any info.  Do you know anywhere where there is a record of what hardware is in each model (CPU, RAM etc)?

A bit of googling would suggest the Humax T1xxx will be the minimum spec from the original YouView technical requirements of a 950MHz processor and 512MB RAM. Further googling would suggest the Humax T2xxx box has 1GB RAM and a faster processor. The performance of the T4xxx boxes would suggest an even faster processor and some people have reported 2GB RAM. It would appear the newer  Huawei DN372T also doubled the RAM compared to its predecessor, the DN370T (presumably again going from 512MB to 1GB in a similar fashion to the Humax T1000 to T2000).

Alas a definitive and detailed hardware spec page seems hard to find :(
      Keith>
      "Alas a definitive and detailed hardware spec page seems hard to find."

Thats because one has never been released. Also, the Wiki page  is unfortunately inaccurate, in that it provides a list of the T1000s potential features but states -

"The minimum specifications for a YouView-enabled digital terrestrial television (DTT) high-definition (HD) digital video recorder (DVR or PVR) product require."

Which isn't true, as a lot of the features it lists were optional and not a requirement. With many not seeing the light of day.....
      Keith said:
      ..........................................................................................................................................................

Won’t the youview development team know?

dave3 said:
      Keith said:
      ..........................................................................................................................................................

Won’t the youview development team know?

Hi @dave3 - yes within YouView they will know this, but what they know and what they choose to publish/say publicly can be quite different. Idea 87 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests even suggests this should be something the box reports or failing that that YouView should publish these details on their website :)
      edited 28 November 2017, 9:44PM
      I've never understood a logical reason why they didn't publish the second gen specs. But they haven't. Indeed, I can no longer even find the first.
    • Visionman said:
      I don't actually have a Netflix account [though have had in the past and have used on the DTR2000]. Have just been to the Netflix website from my PC - can't login / recover password etc. so assume my account has been removed.
      Visionman had the right answer. Needed to sign out [of my no longer active account] on the Humax. Wanted to answer but apologies for posting here as seems nothing to do with 29.27.0 software :(.
    • Visionman said:
      Visionman had the right answer. Needed to sign out [of my no longer active account] on the Humax. Wanted to answer but apologies for posting here as seems nothing to do with 29.27.0 software :(.
    • I haven't really noticed much change lately, T2100, apart from a few minor things. I have, however, had a few issues with the box freezing or failing to respond to the controls. Rebooting (takes ages) does resolve this.
      There has also been a few 'signal lost' issues of late, which may or may not be related to the communal aerial system.
    • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
      edited 29 November 2017, 7:34AM
      Visionman said:
      I've never understood a logical reason why they didn't publish the second gen specs. But they haven't. Indeed, I can no longer even find the first.
      Stephen is your friend......

or might be, if you can make the link work any more.
      ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley

Has anybody else observed this?

After pausing a playback for a long period (over 30 mins )  when resuming the play bar isn’t displayed and neither is the pause bar, but alas the system reverts back to normal as soon as you leave that recording. I’ve tried to recreate it but failed

This has happen twice since this update has been installed. – and no I didn’t make a video  of it.

Just wish it would happen more often / all the time.

Ok the play / pause bar is not showing again this morning
      System  won't let me attach the video
      To a posting or a PM

@Philip Trott is there anyway I can get video out to you 

• SarahSarah Posts: 482Administrator admin
      Hi @dave3

If you have a video to send, you can try emailing it to us instead at community@youview.com or link it if you are able to upload online and provide a shareable link.

Thanks,
      Sarah
      Sarah said:
      Hi @dave3

If you have a video to send, you can try emailing it to us instead at community@youview.com  ............
      Video sent marke FAO Sarah

thanks 
    • SarahSarah Posts: 482Administrator admin
      Received! Thanks @dave3, we'll forward this on to see if we can find out what's going on here.

Sarah