Can a Youview box work without the internet

CarlFCarlF Posts: 3Member
edited 27 November 2017, 9:34AM in Support
Hi I purchased a Humax Youview from John Lewis but don’t want to connect it to the internet as it’s a present for my mum and she does not have Internet.

as thought when doing the set up it asked for my broadband connection info and would not progress any further.

no internet then I assume recording tv is not possible

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2017, 4:55PM
    This a very old thread relating to YouView 1, or Original Gen as its commonly known, where it would. But now we are on YouView 2, commonly known as NextGen, which won't.
    Indeed the box won't even boot up without an internet connection, so I'm sorry to tell you you'll have to take it back and get another one.
  • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member
    @Carlf You need Freeview not Youview  - Humax do both
    Whatever you do don't buy a Humax FVP 5000T, as its been user reported as being plagued with bugs, is very sluggish and has a very below-par remote.
  • CarlFCarlF Posts: 3Member
    Cheers Dave

the Youview got very excited trying to connect to my broadband but as my mum does not have it would be pointless. I’ll hunt out a freeview
  • CarlFCarlF Posts: 3Member
    Any suggestions on a freeview recorder without the need for internet. Oh and not the Humax FVP5000T
    ta
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 236Member
    Panasonic with Freeview+ , the DMR-HWT130 -  would work OK I think.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,097Member ✭✭
    Humax do two Freeview+HD boxes, the HDR-1800T and the HDR-2000T. They have network capability, but it isn't integral to their functionality.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 236Member
    edited 26 November 2017, 12:34PM
    Also the Panasonic DMR-HWT150 with Freeview Play should work. My Panny TV with FreeviewPlay does the guide stuff without internet.

And of course the best thing about Panasonic is that they still use LISTS - I like lists. :)
  • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member

@CarlF ; - I’m not up to date on what’s out there, but I’d guess for your mum – you want an easy to use device,  rather than a function rich device

A few years ago I had a Panasonic Freeview box -  it was simple / easy to use – unfortunately I had to replaced it. I naively chose another Panasonic on the assumption that the usability would be the same – it wasn’t – in general it required more button pressing to do the same functions as the previous box and the fan was a little noisy  I returned it and after doing the research bought a Humax Youview   -  Menu was great but after a little while the disk seek noise was intrusive – especially when reading in the same room – Swapped it for same model – This one was ok for a few months then some functions on remote stopped working (can’t fully remember the problem) – Swapped it again  - This one was OK for the first few months, but then Youview dropped their new version of software on the box (which was a backward step in usability and functionality) also after about 7 months the disk in the current box has at times become noisy, not as bad as the first one I returned.

Tesco and Argos seem to have a 6 month refund policy on these type of devices – not sure if that’s general practise

Good  of luck  

I'd go into (or ring) John Lewis or Richer Sounds, tell them what you need and then listen to their recommendations.
  • StephenStephen Posts: 643Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    This a very old thread relating to YouView 1, or Original Gen as its commonly known, where it would. But now we are on YouView 2, commonly known as NextGen, which won't.
    Indeed the box won't even boot up without an internet connection, so I'm sorry to tell you you'll have to take it back and get another one.
    Well, as long as Carl goes through Setup with an internet connection, the box will carry on working without an internet connection afterwards. It's wrong to say it won't boot up without a connection. It just needs to connect the first time (and do a channel scan) to work out what region it's in and check it's got the latest software bits and pieces.

Some areas of the interface may look a little bland disconnected (e.g. the recordings screen), because imagery is normally fetched off of the internet, but they will continue to work. The tiles in the main menu will not be visible as they're also downloaded. But generally as a broadcast PVR it will work fine, just as well as any non-connected Freeview box. Unless there's a big difference in price for it to be worthwhile getting a refund on the YouView box and switching down to a plain Freeview, I would suggest (from a somewhat biased position) sticking with the YouView box to gift your mother (as long as you set it up for her).
    edited 26 November 2017, 8:50PM
    Stephen said:
    Visionman said:
    Well, as long as Carl goes through Setup with an internet connection, the box will carry on working without an internet connection afterwards. It's wrong to say it won't boot up without a connection. It just needs to connect the first time (and do a channel scan) to work out what region it's in and check it's got the latest software bits and pieces.
    I can't believe I'm going to do this but here goes......

If one boots up a YouView with an internet connection and then moves it to another location without, it will boot up. But if one has to boot it up again it won't, as it goes into internet search.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 November 2017, 9:15PM
    Visionman said:
    Stephen said:
    I can't believe I'm going to do this but here goes......

If one boots up a YouView with an internet connection and then moves it to another location without, it will boot up. But if one has to boot it up again it won't, as it goes into internet search.

@Visionman

I've just tested this, as well as I can without physically taking the box out of the house to somewhere else.

I pulled the Ethernet, switched my T1000 off at the back, switched it on again. It came up with a message about "no broadband", but this was straightforward enough to ignore.

Amplifying what Stephen has said, I found that Guide, Players & Apps and MyTV, all came up with Unavailable, and "we can't connect to the internet",  in the preview area and there were pictureless preview tiles in Recordings and Scheduled. But you could go into the Guide, and get the basic current and future programme details well enough, if not the backwards EPG, of course.

But (without moving the box) I tried the second bootup, and it was fine, and just like the first bootup. And I don't see what difference moving the box would make, unless it had a secret GPS chip in it.

However, I'm sure if you moved it to a different TV area, it would want a retune. Could that discombobulate it, perhaps? So, still without reconnecting the Ethernet, I tried retuning it. But that went just fine - no issues at all.

So how might this experiment differ from an actual box move, to cause a fail on second boot such as you describe?

@CarlF - Despite showing that the YouView box without the internet does work, sort of, I would still lean towards getting your Mum a box that isn't going to throw all these messages and limitations at her, in the absence of the internet, though. Less worrying for her.

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Stephen knows a lot more about this than I do (though sorry for stating the bleedin' obvious).
    I once had occasion to take my G4 around to a friends, as he was having signal problems with a new Freeview box. So I booted it up it the lounge without an internet connection and it booted up just fine and got an aerial signal. I then took it into the kitchen, again without an internet connection and it wouldn't boot up. And I tried five times but it wouldn't have it.
    But now both Stephen and Roy state it should have done. Its a head scratcher to be sure.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,360Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 November 2017, 7:07PM
    What @Roy said: i.e. don't get a connected box if you have no intention of connecting to the internet. Although of course they are becoming few and far between.

• Alan11Alan11 Posts: 11Member
    Visionman said:
    Whatever you do don't buy a Humax FVP 5000T, as its been user reported as being plagued with bugs, is very sluggish and has a very below-par remote.

I would be interested to know where these bad reports are because I am thinking of replacing my HDR 2000T with a FVP 5000T and all I can find are good reviews from buyers and sellers