YVM302 for 7 days now nothing at all

garybrettgarybrett Posts: 5Member
edited 30 November 2017, 10:20AM in Support
Good morning, wondering if you anyone could advise regarding the Freeview signals on my YouView box / BT TV with latest software. Last Friday I started receiving pixelated images and sound, with error YVM302 and has been like this until last night when I now recreive no channels at all even after retuning. We had a new internal aerial fitted in March inside the loft and usually go off the Sandy Heath transmitter, all was fine and no-one has been in the loft so doubt the aerial would have moved? So far, I have retuned YouView box many times, attempted to bypass the box directly into the TV, checked cables are ok and this morning even factory reset the box all to no avail. I now have no channels at all except for the BT subscribed ones and really am desperate to resolve without paying 100s to another installer as BT suggest..

Is it possible to take a portable into the loft and connect directly to the aerial to verify if its the cabling or the actual aerial that's at fault? No idea what cables I would need if this is possible?

Many Thanks

Comments

• robin0800robin0800 Posts: 22Member
    There is a nice app called "uk aerial alignment" for tablets or phones to show the direction aerials should be pointed might help. 
  • Thank you I have tried that and it seems going in loft an placing it next to my aerial its pointing the right way. I'm assuming cms/mms really count though in this instance so although it points in general direction I'm wondering if maybe its out by 5mm or something ;) 
    The other thing is put your postcode in youview https://www.youview.com ,at the bottom of that page, and in show results it will tell you which transmitter you should be pointing towards. 5mm I would have thought was insignificant.
  • garybrettgarybrett Posts: 5Member
    Yes tried that also over at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker which showed great reception with no engineering works.. Do you know if its possible to plug a TV directly into the aerial in the loft? I'm pretty sure this would tell me one way or another if its the Aerial, cabling or if neither then an external source..
    Yes of course you can, this is how aerials were used before set top boxes
  • alal Posts: 1,250Member ✭✭
    garybrett said:
    ... attempted to bypass the box directly into the TV, ...
    Did that work? Can your TV pick up the freeview channels? 
    edited 30 November 2017, 3:39PM
    al said:
    garybrett said:
    ... attempted to bypass the box directly into the TV, ...
    Did that work? Can your TV pick up the freeview channels? 

TV picked up channels, but output was very pixelated and then just breaks up. Tried it again about an hour later and only picked up some of the channels but again just broke up. The common factors in both I guess are the aerial & the cabling so I'm thinking it has to be one of those?

I've just bought a cheap coax cable so going to try and take the TV into the loft later to connect directly and see what happens.

This may sound stupid but is it ok to move the aerial around to see if I can get better signal? Ive refrained from doing this as the installer had it setup perfectly which worked until 7 days ago ..
  • alal Posts: 1,250Member ✭✭
    I would check all of the connections between aerial and set top box. See if there is water, rust or just bad looking contacts or messy braid. The TV should have a menu option to check signal strength/quality you can look at before moving the aerial. It's also worth checking that a new building hasn't suddenly been put up between you and the transmitter.
    Thanks, it is an odd one. When I retune and the FTA channels are back I checked the quality on YouView box and strength ranges from 50-75, qua;lity is always 100% on BBC/ITV for example. They when they dropout again the strength goes to 0..

The aerial and cables are all 6 months old so should be ok, at800 tell me 4G isnt an issue and 2 others using BT TV within 50 yards have no issues. Flummoxed
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2017, 4:59PM
    garybrett said:
    Thanks, it is an odd one. When I retune and the FTA channels are back I checked the quality on YouView box and strength ranges from 50-75, qua;lity is always 100% on BBC/ITV for example. They when they dropout again the strength goes to 0..

The aerial and cables are all 6 months old so should be ok, at800 tell me 4G isnt an issue and 2 others using BT TV within 50 yards have no issues. Flummoxed

If you have a distribution amp in the loft, has it lost its power feed somewhere? Are all the output cables tightly connected?

If you have cables to more than one room, is the situation the same there?

Have you had some work done on the house, or done some DIY, that might have put a nail through the coax somewhere?

Are you sure there is a good coax path to the loft, from wherever you watch TV?

Whatever you do, though, do not disturb the work your aerial fitter did. If it seems that is faulty, or the amp is faulty, or the aerial is faulty, and you want to get him back to the job under warranty, don't do anything he can point to and say that you have interfered with what he did originally.

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley