Audio lag after long pause

dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member

After a long pause (approx. 60 mins) once play is pressed the pictures moves on, but without any sound for few seconds (approx. 6 secs)

I’ve seen this problem for some time (i.e. on previous versions of Software), but I can’t see the item in Keith’s list of bugs – hence this posting

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    6 seconds? I've not seen that reported before. Have you tried a soft reset, dave?
  • tlotlo Posts: 17Member
    i get it but tbh not very often
  • WayneWayne Posts: 76Member
    I've experienced this numerous times. The longer the pause the longer the delay before the audio resumes. 

It's possible this problem existed prior to NextGen, but I can't be certain. 
    Having had a think on this, I have experienced (very) occasional lip sync issues when flicking a live DTT channel up or down (including on first gen). But flicking the channel up and then down again always cures it. 
  • dave3dave3 Posts: 186Member
    Visionman said:
    Having had a think on this, I have experienced (very) occasional lip sync issues when flicking a live DTT channel up or down (including on first gen). But flicking the channel up and then down again always cures it. 

@Visionman that a different problem

This audio lag problem can be recreated by pausing a programme for approx 60 mins; when play is pressed the picture resumes as you would expect, but there’s no audio for approx. 6 secs. Once the audio starts everything is as normal.

• joneshjonesh Posts: 1,097Member ✭✭
    dave3 said:
    This audio lag problem can be recreated by pausing a programme for approx 60 mins;
    Pausing for approx 60min is asking the box to do something that is not intended. By definition, pauses are short.

A bear walks into a bar . . . :)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    jonesh said:

Pausing for approx 60min is asking the box to do something that is not intended. By definition, pauses are short.

...and asks the barkeep where the restrooms are. As the bear lumbers off there, the barkeep sighs, and remarks "Well, there's another urban legend shot down!"
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 629Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2017, 2:02PM
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:

...and asks the barkeep where the restrooms are. As the bear lumbers off there, the barkeep sighs, and remarks "Well, there's another urban legend shot down!"

Well there's paws for thought.

John. 
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    jonesh said:

Pausing for approx 60min is asking the box to do something that is not intended. By definition, pauses are short
    @jonesh ; - How long would you expect the pause feature on a PVR box to last?

edited 1 December 2017, 7:40PM
    dave3 said:
    @jonesh ; - How long would you expect the pause feature on a PVR box to last?
    A short period of time.
    Its normally just over 1 second from pressing play on a recording. 
    And approx 0.5 seconds from switching live channels
    But definitely not recommended for pausing anything for 60 minutes.
    Its a bit like the buffer full issue some suffer. It can cause quirks with the disk.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 861Member ✭✭
    jonesh said:

From the user guide:

Oh, bug . . .  😳

Well, err . .  Maybe @dave3 was pausing a recording. :|

A second of sound lost for each ten minutes isn't bad, is it? ;)
    edited 2 December 2017, 12:01AM
    jimb said:
    jonesh said:

From the user guide:

Why have you started shouting?
    edited 2 December 2017, 7:29AM
    Visionman said:
    jimb said:

From the user guide:

That’s a little thing called HTML, @Visionman. SHOUTING is using all caps.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • jimbjimb Posts: 861Member ✭✭
    Visionman said:

I only typed four words.
    The rest was part of a screenshot FROM THE USER GUIDE
    (and that was HTML and shouting)
    :)  
    Just for the record the gap in audio happens in all three modes of watching.TV - live, playback and chase

if a feature is provided it should work and yes to comply with English it should be called "hold", rather than pause. 
    @Keith -please see above do you want to add this to your list of bugs?
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,341Member, Champion mod
    Hi @dave3 - this has now been added as item 57 to the consolidated list of bugs and faults :)
  • alal Posts: 1,250Member ✭✭
    It's the best number for catchup.
    al said:
    It's the best number for catchup.
    In Heinzsight... :D
    The pause is normal, but should be approx 1.5 seconds.
    Video will always appear before audio, on any box, as that takes the most processing power. If both were to appear instantly at the same time the video and audio wouldn't be in sync with one another.