Help needed getting recordings off a failed G4 box

Tim CTim C Posts: 236Member
My G4 box , running OldGen, has just failed & despite using all MM modes except delete recordings I can't get it past "Loading", with the very occasional "Let's Start" but it doesn't.

There are quite a few recording that my wife wanted to keep so there's no point me trying the MM modes with delete recordings.

Having done the Internet mode it's now on NextGen.

There must be a way to retrieve recordings surely.

If I get a new G4 from BT - as I'm in contract - can I switch the HDDs over for example or can I load a suitable driver on my PC & connect up & extract the recordings that way as I've done with a Sky HDD in the past?

With some Humax and Panasonic PVRs and even my Panasonic TVs it's possible to extract then over the network. Another obvious failing with Youview boxes.

Comments

• joneshjonesh Posts: 1,097Member ✭✭
    Tim C said:
    With some Humax and Panasonic PVRs and even my Panasonic TVs it's possible to extract then over the network.
    How do you extract recordings from Panasonic PVRs @Tim C? One of ours failed recently and we lost the recordings. For future reference It would be good to know how to do it.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Tim. By 'G4' do you mean a T2100?
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 236Member
    jonesh said:
    Tim C said:
    With some Humax and Panasonic PVRs and even my Panasonic TVs it's possible to extract then over the network.
    How do you extract recordings from Panasonic PVRs @Tim C? One of ours failed recently and we lost the recordings. For future reference It would be good to know how to do it.
    I just used a media player app on my iPad & downloaded over the network, then iTunes to copy it off the iPad. I use 8Player btw.
    This works for SD recordings , not sure about HD though. My new Panny TV passes SD straight through but re-encodes HD on the fly making the transfer very slow & the quality is lower than the SD copy.
    Visionman said:
    Hi Tim. By 'G4' do you mean a T2100?
    Yes that is correct.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
    Tricky one this, as it depends on what content you've recorded as most content is HDCP protected. So one can do it, but using SCART only in SD only. Sorry thats not much help.
    Unfortunately that's not too helpful as the box won't boot.
    BT are sending me a new box ,are the HDDs tied to a specific box?

edited 3 December 2017, 1:06PM
    Tim C said:
    I just used a media player app on my iPad & downloaded over the network, then iTunes to copy it off the iPad.
    Thanks @Tim C . So are you in effect playing the file and simultaneously re-recording it?

I have re-recorded programmes from our T1000 using the analogue audio and video out sockets. It works for SD and HD, but the re-recorded quality is the same for each. I find the quality OK, but I haven't got a big TV.
    Tim C said:
    Yes, the HDDs are keyed to the box.

Panasonic HDDs are keyed to the box as well, so all recordings are lost when the machine fails.
    jonesh said:
    Tim C said:
    Yes, the HDDs are keyed to the box.

Panasonic HDDs are keyed to the box as well, so all recordings are lost when the machine fails.
    That's not the answer I wanted to hear :'(

Btw any videos copied from a Panasonic may need to be converted from avi to mkv or mp4 for them to be playable on other devices. I use the free VidCoder on my PC for this.
  • StephenStephen Posts: 643Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to plug the hard drive into a PC directly or with a suitable adapter/caddy, install something like http://www.ext2fsd.com/ if you're on Windows, and fish the unencrypted SD recordings off the drive. HD recordings are encrypted with a per-box key and subscription recordings are encrypted against your account with the ISP unfortunately.

I'm not sure what swapping drives would do, as that is OEM specific code, it may half-work (as per above HD recordings definitely won't work) or it may panic and wipe the drive fresh for a new start. I wouldn't try it until after trying to rescue the files with a PC.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Tim C said:
    That's not the answer I wanted to hear :'(

Alas, your only options are the answer you wanted to hear, and the truth  o:)

Thiugh you could always try pulling the HDD, mounting it in a caddy, and have a poke round to see if you recognise anything - this might need Linux rather than Windows - and can play anything. I think any SD recordings are in clear, but HD ones aren’t.

That there is no salvation for recordings from a busted box has been an issue raised with YouView, to no avail, from since the first box ever busted  :'(

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    I've 2 NAS units (Linux based) which natively support EXT2 , 3 & 4. I wonder if just plugging a USB caddy into them might work? Not much to lose really I guess.
    Stephen said:
    You should be able to plug the hard drive into a PC directly or with a suitable adapter/caddy, install something like http://www.ext2fsd.com/ if you're on Windows, and fish the unencrypted SD recordings off the drive. HD recordings are encrypted with a per-box key and subscription recordings are encrypted against your account with the ISP unfortunately.

I'm not sure what swapping drives would do, as that is OEM specific code, it may half-work (as per above HD recordings definitely won't work) or it may panic and wipe the drive fresh for a new start. I wouldn't try it until after trying to rescue the files with a PC.
    Can't see much on the HDD , not sure where to go now.
    I assume that the 402GB volume is the recordings but as it's RAW don't see what I can do with it. My Zyxel NAS sees just the same.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 307Member
    Stephen said:
    You should be able to plug the hard drive into a PC directly or with a suitable adapter/caddy, install something like http://www.ext2fsd.com/ if you're on Windows, and fish the unencrypted SD recordings off the drive.
    I'm not too sure about that as I don't think that ext2fsd can handle XFS format partitions.  Or doesn't the DTR-T2100 have XFS partitions?
    For just occasional use a linux live cd could may be easiest if a linux computer isn't available.
    @Yasha Noke
    Excellent idea. Tried an Ubuntu version & can see & copy the recordings from the YV HDD to my PC.
    Still a couple of issues to resolve but getting there.
    Managed to get 3 of the important (to the wife) programs back & converted to MKV files.
    The others are HD encrypted so I think they're lost.
    Ah yes sorry, at the weekend I wasn't in front of a box to check, the video partition is XFS as opposed to ext3. Glad you got the SD recordings off, sorry the HD ones are per-box encrypted, you can blame the regulatory authorities for that doozy.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    @Stephen

YouView boxes will certainly reformat a ‘foreign’ HDD dropped into them, and I don’t think they check anything beyond determining whether the drive is ‘foreign’ or not.

It might be friendlier if they could detect pre-used drives, and give the user the option of having them reformatted or pulling them out again (our RAID drives at work do that when a ‘new’ one is hot-swapped in) but I think they just reformat them anyway. But quite calmly and deliberately, not in a panic  :p
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Well I received a BT Ultra HD box as a replacement and having got what recordings I could from the T2100 I did a factory reset - delete recordings option. I've now got a spare T2100 in working order.

As a test I'm going to copy the recordings I saved on my PC back to the T2100's HDD & see what happens.

• LukеLukе Posts: 6Member
    Tim C said:
    As a test I'm going to copy the recordings I saved on my PC back to the T2100's HDD & see what happens.

Back in 2014 (?) with a T1000 someone posted elsewhere that it then deletes them.
    But it would be nice to have a second and more recent test.
    Tim C said:
    Well I received a BT Ultra HD box as a replacement and having got what recordings I could from the T2100 I did a factory reset - delete recordings option. I've now got a spare T2100 in working order.

Note that the database with the recording metadata is on another partition (sda6 here) on the drive, you need to get that across too.
    n.b. if it wasn't obvious already, this is totally unsupported, and I'm just passing this info on as a hint because it may be helpful/interesting, not because it's proven to work, because it isn't.
    @Stephen
    Thanks for that advice , guess as I don't have that database I won't bother.

Obviously I understand anything like this is totally unsupported.