All4 won’t play past second advert

Looks like this problem was raised earlier this year but got resolved. My Sony Bravia won’t play All4 programs as it keeps getting stuck on the ads (black screen showing time until program starts but doesn’t count down). Factory reset, cache/data clear, power off all carried out and makes no difference. 
Tagged:

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 482Administrator admin
    Hi @mwoodfield

Can you let us know the TV model and also what update version it's currently running? 
    The issue was fixed in a Sony update a few months ago so it shouldn't be occurring anymore on Youview Sony TVs at least so it'd be useful to have that information.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, that issue was indeed resolved. I strongly suggest you edit the title of this thread on your post above, to describe your new issue rather than this old one that people are likely to skip over.

Looks like you’ve tried everything you can do on the set itself, but I would also suggest power cycling your router, to clear any cache issues there, especially if you are running the TV over WiFi.

If still no go, it would be well worth posting here, to see if anyone else reports the same issue, though there are no similar reports at present. Title suggestion likewise as above.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Actually, I wouldn't change the title of this thread because the problem is back! I had this issue back in July, it went away but it is most definitely back. Same thing. Select a program, hit start and it stalls somewhere during trying to feed an ad.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    Actually, I wouldn't change the title of this thread because the problem is back! I had this issue back in July, it went away but it is most definitely back. Same thing. Select a program, hit start and it stalls somewhere during trying to feed an ad.
    So the programme never starts? That is a new issue, not the one that was fixed, in which the programme started OK, but stalled at the end of the first set of adverts.

i am sure the issue has the same cause (it fails to return to the programme requested after playing the ads, which are coming from a separate source) and is a further manifestation of the inherent weaknesses in All4’s handling of this switchover, but at least with the fixed issue, you got the first bit of the programme,
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Actually, I wouldn't change the title of this thread because the problem is back! I had this issue back in July, it went away but it is most definitely back. Same thing. Select a program, hit start and it stalls somewhere during trying to feed an ad.
    Hi Ben,

Can you confirm if this happens with all content you've tried on All4 or if it's specific ones? Can you please let us know the programme/series/episode you've tried so we can test this out on our end as well?

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • I may have misled you slightly, but also have more information. Turns out, the two programmes I was trying to watch were under 'Resume' (Trump: An American Dream Epi 2 and Man Down Series 4 Epi 5). So Roy is right above - they are hanging at the first ad break.

I then chose a programme at random under 'Popular' (Made in Chelsea Series 14 Epi 9). It played fine as did the opening adverts, and also played when I resumed. However, I then fast forwarded beyond the first ad break, stopped and resumed and the same problem - one ad played then the counter stuck and the screen was blank but for the flashing squares.

Something I've noticed - the ads pre Made in Chelsea were about 1 min 30. Ads for all programmes at the first break are 3 min 52.

This problem has come back in the past week. Something has changed!

I mentioned this to my daughter who is at college in London, and she said she's been experiencing the same issue on her laptop watching All4 on the net.
    Thanks for the detail. To update on this, All4 are aware of the issue and are investigating at the moment.

I'll let you know once we get any updates from this. If anyone is experiencing the same issue on All4 on other devices such as their phone or watching on their laptop, we recommend you contact Channel 4 directly.

Thanks!
    Sarah