Google Amazon row leads to restricted YouTube access

redchizredchiz Posts: 4,360Member ✭✭✭

Google plans to stop Amazon's Fire TV streaming devices being able to use YouTube from the start of 2018.

The search giant has also blocked a workaround that Amazon introduced to restore YouTube access to a screen-based version of its smart speaker.

More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42251531

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,360Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 December 2017, 2:11PM
    So the future dawns.
    "Alexa, switch to YouTube on my YouView box."
    "I'm sorry Dave, but I'm afraid I can't do that."
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,233Member ✭✭✭
    How terrible not to be able to watch YouTube on your chosen device :p
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    OK, imagine it was something you liked, Radio 4?  ;)
  • scottscott Posts: 1,634Member ✭✭
    Amazon and YouTube apps searchable and watchable on a YouView box, now there's a Christmas wish (pity it has been for the last few years) :'(
    redchiz said:
    OK, imagine it was something you liked, Radio 4?  ;)

That was me making a subtle reference to YouView not having YouTube anyway. 

Obviously too subtle.

Did you not wonder what the whooshing sound was? :p
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Not too subtle, just open to interpretation as your gnomic utterances often are.   ;)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,463Member ✭✭✭
    I'm not up to speed with the continued anti-competitive row between these two, as I got bored with it years ago. So I just wanted to ask is this Youtube block in the US and Canada only or does it also include Europe?
    There's nothing in the stuff I have seen to suggest that it is so limited, certainly Amazon's blockade of Google products extends to the UK site.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,732Member ✭✭
    Definitely happening in the UK. On my fire stick a message loads up when you open YouTube saying it's no longer available from January 1st. This reminds me of the whole sky basic channels on virgin media problem from a good few years ago. Trouble is it's the customers that suffer because they are unlikely to dump the device because of the loss of one app but if it was a frequently used app for some I can see it been annoying. 
  • alal Posts: 1,250Member ✭✭
    The main reason I got the firestick was because my TV stopped supporting Youtube. Another was Netflix 5.1 (and correct framerate). It looks like we are soon going to have to have a different device for every service. If only there was a one box solution.
    al said:
    The main reason I got the firestick was because my TV stopped supporting Youtube. Another was Netflix 5.1 (and correct framerate). It looks like we are soon going to have to have a different device for every service. If only there was a one box solution.
    Roku?
    Roku comes closest. Frustratingly, it doesn't carry the BT Sport app.
  • AshAsh Posts: 245Member
    Roy said:
    al said:
    Roku?
    Or LG smart webOS Tvs  ;)

I was known as 'Ash' on the old forum. I'm ash4 on this one for some reason, even though I don't think there was anybody else using the username that I'm still around as you can see  :)

Depending on what Roku you get a Roku will now output at the correct  refresh/frame rate for all services as well as the Roku streaming stick plus (the new top end device for the UK apparently has an auto adjust refresh rate function. Although it costs £69, so it might be a bit expensive for some people But I'm getting one for Christmas  :) :)  I should note the auto adjust refresh rate function has to be enabled manually.

On a personal note, the new forum seems to be working better with my dictation software  :o

Looking on a different forum they also say the search function on the ROKU leaves a lot to be desired (especially they way it takes you if you find the item you are looking for) when compared to something like the Firestick. So although the ROKU is probably the closest it still falls short of the mark.

What we need is a Recordable box with access to Netflix, Amazon, Now TV movies and YouTube with Alexa voice control/search then I would be happy ;)

• AshAsh Posts: 245Member
    edited 7 December 2017, 1:59PM
    You don't want much do you Scott :D

You view have changed my forum name back to Ash

Thanks youview  :)
    redchiz said:
    Not too subtle, just open to interpretation as your gnomic utterances often are.   ;)

Are you suggesting I am short and bearded, with a pointy hat? 
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,824Member ✭✭
    scott said:

What we need is a Recordable box with access to Netflix, Amazon, Now TV movies and YouTube with Alexa voice control/search then I would be happy ;)

It’s a crazy idea, but it might just work. *Sound of pennies dropping at YouView HQ*

Ash said:
    Roy said:
    al said:
    Roku?

Depending on what Roku you get a Roku will now output at the correct  refresh/frame rate for all services as well as the Roku streaming stick plus (the new top end device for the UK apparently has an auto adjust refresh rate function. Although it costs £69, so it might be a bit expensive for some people But I'm getting one for Christmas  :) :)  I should note the auto adjust refresh rate function has to be enabled manually
    That auto adjust refresh/frame rate has got to be the way forward for these streaming devices ( sure I’ve said this before somewhere?).  I think Apple are also bringing the feature to their box too. I hope YouView implement this. It’s something that’s been mentioned a lot in the past on these forums.

Shame the YouView Netflix app is still missing 5.1 surround. I guess that’s down to BT wanting exclusivity to make their top tier T4000 box a more inticing package. I have a creaky old Panasonic tv ( in technology terms) with built in Netflix app that predates YouView’s version by a long way. It has both surround sound, and a 60hz refresh rate. There’s no reason why YouView couldn’t implement surround sound for Netflix on all it’s boxes. There’s no technical barrier. Auto refresh rate might take a bit more work, but if youview wants to keep itself as a premier destination for these types of services, it better start acting now as the technological landscape is changing along with peoples expectations.
    Roy said:
    al said:
    Roku?
    Apparently Amazon Prime app is now live on Apple TV, which I think brings it into line with the Roku for a one box streaming solution, with the addition of iTunes Store 

@Joe - The apple TV app was slated as arriving before the end of 2017. Has this arrived yet or is there any news on it?

scott said:

@Joe - The apple TV app was slated as arriving before the end of 2017. Has this arrived yet or is there any news on it?

Yep it’s just landed:

http://www.techradar.com/news/amazon-prime-video-has-finally-landed-on-apple-tv
    edited 8 December 2017, 10:01AM

@Joe - That is US based though isn't it. I think the UK version of the TV app is still not released.

Disappointing :-

Universal Search now supported – search for Prime videos using iOS search (US, CA, AU, NO, & SE only).

@scott Ah ha ( not in the Alan Partriage sense) I didn’t realise it was not available in UK yet. When it does drop it will make for a very attractive box for those with 4K TVs. First time I could actually consider it a viable option. 
    @scott According to the Apple UK site Amazon Prime TV is available here. Still a tad pricey though.

https://www.apple.com/uk/tv/compare/
    redchiz said:
    @scott According to the Apple UK site Amazon Prime TV is available here. Still a tad pricey though.

https://www.apple.com/uk/tv/compare/
    Good spot. Yeah it’s pretty pricy. Though if I was invested in a 4K uhd tv, it has plenty of content now. I think the price for 4K films on iTunes is the same for HD which may offset the bigger price tag of Apple TV 
    edited 8 December 2017, 12:30PM

@redchiz - I wish I knew a bit more about apple TV. From what I can gather I wasn't disputing Amazon Prime app is now available on Apple TV in the UK. What I was poorly trying to say is that the Apple TV app that is used for universal searching across all available app's is not available in the UK yet (despite the Apple page saying it is due before the end of 2017).

What I am looking for is a device that has access to Now TV, Netflix and Amazon and can search all at the same time. Apple TV looks like it could do this in the future but only when to TV app is available in the UK. I think the ROKU can do this but the reports are that it is quite poor in execution.

Fire TV doesn't have Now TV.

Chromecast doesn't have Amazon Prime.

Well YouView certainly led the way with universal search, and that would be a priority for me in buying a streaming device/ pvr, having had the benefit of using it with YouView for so long.
    @Joe - Absolutely. That is what I am trying to get. The ROKU seems to have most things but the only reviews I have seen say that the universal search is poor so I would have to steer clear. Apple and Amazon I would have thought would have a better chance of implementing universal search better (Siri and Alexa) but apple needs the TV app to do it (and that isn't available in the UK) and Amazon misses Now TV (I could live with that but need someone who has used it to see how well the search works)....Decisions decisions...
    @scott OK, we were at cross purposes there on the detail.
    OK, so just done a bit more digging. The Apple TV App is slated as "Coming later this year." Haven't got long left, have they??!!

Currently you can search using Siri which will present results from all available sources.