Channel List Management

Comments

• edited 8 January 2015, 4:55PM

I understand your position, Stormy, and agree up to a point. However, I still struggle with the lack of basic features in YouView that my nearly 10 year old Humax box has, this being one of them.

If you are going to reinvent the wheel, current examples may be a good starting point to look at! Otherwise you may end up with a beautiful designer wheel, with a few decorative bells and whistles that add little to the functionality, but that takes significantly longer, and more effort, to achieve the same result as the model you are replacing.

I suspect the problem may be the development environment (the AIR for TV / AS3 / Stagecraft environment that was mentioned in the article by Liam O'Donnell) rather than a hardware constraint, but of course that's pure speculation, I have no evidence to back that up. 
    I agree.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

I understand your position, Stormy, and agree up to a point. However, I still struggle with the lack of basic features in YouView that my nearly 10 year old Humax box has, this being one of them.

If you are going to reinvent the wheel, current examples may be a good starting point to look at! Otherwise you may end up with a beautiful designer wheel, with a few decorative bells and whistles that add little to the functionality, but that takes significantly longer, and more effort, to achieve the same result as the model you are replacing.

I think this is where we came in, isn't it? But I could not let your comment about 'a few pixels' go unchallenged, Tom.

Your old Amiga was the first domestic machine with a dedicated blitter chip, building on the work that went into the software routines for the high-end and pioneering Xerox Alto, and that it why it was so good at graphics.

Whether the YouView box has a blitter, or an equivalent set of instructions implemented on a processor supposedly comfortably able to handle them, is not recorded.

But it is significant that while the box can comfortably handle 1080i picture processing from aerial, Internet and recordings, many complaints refer to the operation of the EPG.

This is the one box-generated display which we generally spend our time scrolling, unlike many other components of the YouView menu system, and is therefore the one where bit-blotting, or the lack of it, is likely to figure largest.

Even though, compared with a single frame from a footy match, it is an altogether simpler thing to display a frame of.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:55PM

Erudite or what?

Isn't that a glue?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    Visionman, I am thinking specifically about the processing power required for the UI rather than the video output which I would assume is handled by dedicated video hardware.

The point I am making is that other PVRs - many of which I would think have less capable hardware - do not have latency issues when navigating the UI. That suggests to me that the YouView box is not a hardware constrained device per se, but that perhaps it struggles to perform using Air for TV / AS3 / Stagecraft.

If that is correct then it may partly explain the mooted move to HTML5 as that would most likely allow for better performance optimisation.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    TomW said:

Visionman, I am thinking specifically about the processing power required for the UI rather than the video output which I would assume is handled by dedicated video hardware.

The point I am making is that other PVRs - many of which I would think have less capable hardware - do not have latency issues when navigating the UI. That suggests to me that the YouView box is not a hardware constrained device per se, but that perhaps it struggles to perform using Air for TV / AS3 / Stagecraft.

If that is correct then it may partly explain the mooted move to HTML5 as that would most likely allow for better performance optimisation.

We can but hope!
  • TallmanTallman Member Posts: 1
    edited 5 September 2014, 12:36PM
    Still 2 years down the line and Youview have still not sorted channel management out! Don't they realize they are losing sales because (a) people will go elsewhere when they realise something basic like having favorite lists or putting channels in order is not a option. Or (b) people like me will change providers....This is very bad management indeed.
  • PostatPostat Member Posts: 5
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM

I made inquiries about the new youview, mainly did it have channel management, the answer was NO, and we have NO, intention of adding it. So there you have it or, rather we wont!

• drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    Postat said:

I made inquiries about the new youview, mainly did it have channel management, the answer was NO, and we have NO, intention of adding it. So there you have it or, rather we wont!

Who did you speak to? YouView would not say that. They are very tight lipped about any possible updates and BT and Talk Talk call centres are hardly the font of all knowledge.
  • defiant1337defiant1337 Member Posts: 4
    edited 5 September 2014, 8:23PM
    Postat said:

Well the new Freeview is looking better and better, that will have IPTV too
  • PostatPostat Member Posts: 5
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Good old BT technical service's, they were quite adamant No! like sky and virgin we wont be offering that
    Postat said:

Good old BT technical service's, they were quite adamant No! like sky and virgin we wont be offering that

It's not up to them, though. It's up to YouView.

Who, if they really aren't going to do it, ought to change the status of this conversation to something other than 'Under Consideration'
  • pk9pk9 Member Posts: 19
    edited 15 January 2017, 8:13PM
    May have been said before, my Samsung TV has built in favourites much like the opening comment. Much missed on youview
  • Steve MullinsSteve Mullins Member Posts: 58
    edited 19 October 2014, 4:42PM
    pk9 said:

May have been said before, my Samsung TV has built in favourites much like the opening comment. Much missed on youview

Selling my youview box because of the retarded default channel list! It's so nice having HD channels from number 1 amd not having o press 3 digits for BBC news - seriously who created this messy epg?
    edited 24 September 2014, 5:35PM

I would wish to purchase YouView, but for me it is this key issue of (lack of) Channel Management that is stopping me taking the plunge.

Or buy a smart tv and use a 2tb USB drive as your PVR (WD not samsung drives)
    edited 26 September 2014, 12:24AM
    gwatuk said:
    "@YouView: @RichardGlazer @stvemulls You can hide channels but pressing the yellow button on the remote control."

(Reply from Me) @stvemulls: @YouView but u can't change the order of channels (ie bbc1hd at no 1) I'm selling my #youview #pvr - using #samsung smart tv & USB HDD instd

Final sorry reply from YouPoo
    "@YouView: @stvemulls Sorry to hear that. :("

So that looks like a pretty solid no for channel list management lol
    edited 26 September 2014, 12:25AM
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    In the recent forum Q&A YouView said "As a platform, YouView supports the Digital UK's ordering of channels and changing the order has commercial and regulatory implications for us and our shareholders."

With that In mind should this idea be moved from 'under consideration' to 'rejected' or some such?
  • bradavonbradavon Member Posts: 93
    edited 2 February 2017, 1:25PM
    I too miss the ability to reorder channels as seen on my old Humax PVR-9200T. The default Freeview channel order is ridiculous.
  • barry jonesbarry jones Member Posts: 39
    edited 10 September 2017, 11:55AM

I can’t understand why they won’t do this yet there commercial partners have allowed the 15/60 second skip function.

edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM

I can’t understand why they won’t do this yet there commercial partners have allowed the 15/60 second skip function.

A PVR without skip facilities would be even more absurd than one without channel management.

I note that Humax's super-PVR for the Oz market deliberately departs from the Oz rule that ad-skipping is to be prevented.
    edited 22 June 2015, 3:08PM

What 15/60 second skip function? I don't think I've got that on my retail Humax DTR-T2000.
  • barry jonesbarry jones Member Posts: 39
    edited 10 September 2017, 11:55AM

I was under the impression that YouVeiw players had no skip function when first launched?

The point I was trying to make was that surely the commercial partners suffer more by allowing 15/60 second skip, than they would if they were moved down in the schedule.

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM

Either side of the pause button: skip forwards in 60 second segments; or backwards in 15 second segments.
    edited 22 June 2015, 3:12PM

Thanks. For some reason I've never thought to press those whilst playing something. The buttons look like chapter skips buttons.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM

No worries. Great for recordings with ads. Or even just skipping back a few moments during "live" TV if your attention has wandered/been distracted momentarily.  :-)
  • BPerryBPerry Member Posts: 10
    edited 29 December 2015, 8:24PM

Is there a guide on the main buttons that every controller has and what they do? I was bemoaning not having skip until I read this and now I do, yay! It certainly wasn't documented in any instructions I received for my new TT YouView box, grrrrr.
    edited 7 July 2015, 8:14PM

Mine either.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml...">

No?

Here's Page 6 of the (or at least a) TalkTalk User Guide, describing the remote, where you will see Skip in the last entry on the left of the picture of the remote, as part of the legend 'Skip, Pause, Stop'.