Channel List Management

Comments

• endsbowenendsbowen Member Posts: 38
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:29PM
    Martin1 said:

Series stacking is already confirmed as coming :)

Yes just saw the topic, thank god for that. Looks like everybody is on the same wavelength with the same wants.
  • Miles KnapmanMiles Knapman Member Posts: 1
    edited 18 October 2012, 9:52AM
    Channel management is in my view the one thing that spoils an otherwise good product. Priority one for me is the ability to hide or delete channels. Priority two is to be able to order the remaining channels. I have tried using the parental controls but the adult channels can still be seen without having to enter the PIN

Youview - please can you

1. give me some idea of if and when each of these changes will be made
    2. advise on parental controls problem

thank you
  • Andrew1Andrew1 Member Posts: 5
    edited 18 October 2012, 10:41AM
    traces said:

Thought channel list management was due in the next firmware release.

when will it come out?
  • Andrew1Andrew1 Member Posts: 5
    edited 18 October 2012, 10:45AM
    Piers2 said:

Hi. It's marked as under consideration rather than "planned" as there are a few suggestions in the original post that we haven't planned into a software release yet. However, the ability to hide channels will be included in the next release, due at the end of October.

The trouble with hiding is if you know the number? Will the channel be hidden altogether so that when you input the number it will still not show? Good for kids but adults also have problems with these channels and would rather the temptation was taken away.
  • StiffardStiffard Member Posts: 25
    edited 27 January 2014, 4:37PM
    Having just changed my BT Vision service to be provided utilising the YouView Box, in the main, I was very pleased with my initial exploration of the services it facilitated, until I turned my attention to editing the channel list, to remove undesirable channels and reorder the remaining channels for my navigational convenience, only to find that there were no capabilities in this area. Having become accustomed to this facility being a standard feature of all comparable devices from their launch, this came as quite a shock and I fail to understand how this oversight occurred during it's development. It had never occurred to me to think that I needed to research whether this feature was available, as I think, with todays technology, it is a reasonable expectation that it would be available. Had I realised this though, I almost certainly would not have made the transfer and the only saving grace here for me, is that I see that an update is to be made at the end of October, a week away now, to enable users to hide channels and I just hope that this promise is to be delivered. I had heard that there were some small issues with the functionality and controllability of the box, but to find that this was one of them has left me flabbergasted.
  • edited 20 October 2012, 8:10PM
    Stiffard said:

Having just changed my BT Vision service to be provided utilising the YouView Box, in the main, I was very pleased with my initial exploration of the services it facilitated, until I turned my attention to editing the channel list, to remove undesirable channels and reorder the remaining channels for my navigational convenience, only to find that there were no capabilities in this area. Having become accustomed to this facility being a standard feature of all comparable devices from their launch, this came as quite a shock and I fail to understand how this oversight occurred during it's development. It had never occurred to me to think that I needed to research whether this feature was available, as I think, with todays technology, it is a reasonable expectation that it would be available. Had I realised this though, I almost certainly would not have made the transfer and the only saving grace here for me, is that I see that an update is to be made at the end of October, a week away now, to enable users to hide channels and I just hope that this promise is to be delivered. I had heard that there were some small issues with the functionality and controllability of the box, but to find that this was one of them has left me flabbergasted.

" It had never occurred to me to think that I needed to research whether this feature was available, as I think, with todays technology, it is a reasonable expectation that it would be available."

I don't recall seeing it on my Sky or Virgin Media boxes so not sure it's *quite* as default and universal as you suggest.

Anyhow, the ability to hide channels is on its way at the end of this month:

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

even if other features

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

may not be quite yet.
    Hi Martin - Yes I should have said from personal experience, as Sky's a no for me because of Murdoch and Virgin took over the Cable Company that delivered an abysmal service.

I will tell you what I do like about the box though..... the ability to control the Sound and Picture synchronisation. That is top. Unlike LGs SP820 which does not have this feature and has terribly sync problems and is a disaster. I'm looking forward to the update thank you. All the best - John
    Hi Martin - Yes I should have said from personal experience, as Sky's a no for me because of Murdoch and Virgin took over the Cable Company that delivered an abysmal service.

I will tell you what I do like about the box though..... the ability to control the Sound and Picture synchronisation. That is top. Unlike LGs SP820 which does not have this feature and has terribly sync problems and is a disaster. I'm looking forward to the update thank you. All the best - John
  • JeJe Member Posts: 2
    edited 24 October 2012, 11:17PM
    I totally agree with all comments above. Just received our box today and wanted to prioritise setting 'favourite channels', scrolled through all options but alas not available. As usual resorted to Google to find help and came upon this forum. So happy to know its not just my gripe and hope it will be fixed asap.
    Hi Je

The really great thing about todays technology is that it isn't stuck, it is software/app driven and upgradeable/updateable and consumers can drive the updates to the functionality of the devices that they purchase by expressing their dissatisfaction. The weight of dissatisfaction will prioritise that focus; the message to developers being; listen to what your BetaTesters tell you they want, rather than assume that they will ultimately accept what the developers want to give them and then it'll save a whole lot of unnecessary pain all around.

Update at the end of October we're told and the first of many I hope, that will deliver the desired, uncompromised, consumer experience.

All the best

John
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    YouView have already said they're planning for 4 updates a year.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    4 a year - that has to be unprecedented! I wonder how long it will last. I think the coming update should fix my issues so it'll be interesting to see what yv have up their sleeves.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    4 updates a year is quite a lot but I would expect at least 2 or 3 (even if they had not declared 4) with each one demonstrating the steady addition of features and progress up to a point that the device is well developed and relatively feature rich to meet whatever the continually growing customer feedback is indicating is generally desired or to match/compete/exceed the functionality of competitors in order to claim or maintain a leading spot in the PVR market.

Whilst I would not expect everything on the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests to be implemented there are a lot of good and popular ideas listed and YouView will no doubt assess them all over time then prioritise, dismiss or implement as appropriate etc.

As for the update on 30/10/2012 I'm optimistic it will contain a few good bug fixes and some feature improvements, e.g. skip functionality, channel hiding (but not full management this time), searching of the EPG etc. Since it is not long to wait now the speculation will soon be over and then we can look ahead to the update in 3-4 months time.
    Hi Keith

I think that if the basic omissions that you suggested are put right in this update, that that would be satisfactory for me this time around and then to look forward to the really progressive features being added in the future. I have a few ideas there myself, that I'll broach, once the update for the 30th has arrived.

All the best

John
  • Matthew BaileyMatthew Bailey Member Posts: 105
    edited 26 October 2012, 11:29PM
    Having just changed from a Humax 9200 to the Humax DTR-T1000 I can't believe this feature is missing, when it was something we previously had 6 years ago!

I look forward to this update in a few days.
  • mtl1959mtl1959 Member Posts: 1
    edited 27 October 2012, 9:32AM
    Piers2 said:

Hi. It's marked as under consideration rather than "planned" as there are a few suggestions in the original post that we haven't planned into a software release yet. However, the ability to hide channels will be included in the next release, due at the end of October.

Excellent we are nearly at the end of October no pressure!
  • Colin SkeenSmithColin SkeenSmith Member Posts: 1
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I agree with all comments on this thread. This is a serious omission which must be rectified immediately.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

I agree with all comments on this thread. This is a serious omission which must be rectified immediately.

It depends what you mean by "immediately", Colin.
    Is end of this month close enough?
    It seems that hiding channels is scheduled in the next release, due then, but re-arranging channels, and other goodies will be in a later release.
  • Ian CampbellIan Campbell Member Posts: 3
    edited 14 January 2017, 9:33PM
    traces said:

Thought channel list management was due in the next firmware release.

I see channel list management is flagged as 'Under Consideration'; this needs to be re-categorised as 'Top Priority'. How can one be expected to trawl through 70+ channels, most of which are next to useless? I could not believe it when I found this most fundamental of functions was absent. Talk about a ha'p'orth of tar.
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 29 October 2012, 2:51PM
    With the recent channel reordering, the Adult Section is now next to the HD Section in the EPG, now the Adult channels are seen frequently, which is unacceptable in this household.

Please indicate the channel list management is happening very soon or this box is being turned off.
  • endsbowenendsbowen Member Posts: 38
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:29PM
    the adult section near HD section is not YouViews fault. But I wish I could just hide them totally, hope this comes in this weeks update ... (if it ever happens)
    A month ago Piers confirmed channel list hiding would be in the update on 30/10/2012. His post is a comment far above that is rolled up so not immediately obvious if skimming the thread.

But just to confirm for everyone the imminent update on 30/10/2012 does contain channel list hiding.
  • Sam OrrSam Orr Member Posts: 4
    edited 30 October 2012, 12:01PM
    I am in total agrement with the need for the ability to organise/delete channels. I have this feature on my Humax Freeview box, and also on my 6 year old panasonic tv, so come on YouView, get it sorted.

Otherwise, a great product and idea.
    As per this other topic some people are now reporting the updated scheduled for today (30/10/2012) is available (if you do a manual update although it will automatically update within 24 hours as far as I know).

The update does contain channel list hiding :)

To use it you go in to the guide, press the yellow button and then go down the list of channels pressing ok to choose which ones to hide.

Note to do this requires your pin number and hence it is a secure method to stop someone (who is not allowed) simply going in and unhiding channels.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 30 October 2012, 12:31PM
    As noted earlier though it is a right pain in the fundament to restore just one channel or several. You have to restore the lot then go through the whole, long, painful process to hide the channels again. Not thought it through guys.
  • Sam OrrSam Orr Member Posts: 4
    edited 30 October 2012, 8:12PM
    No update as yet, but my box is a TalkTalk box, and only just installed yesterday. very happy with the box apart from the channel management issue, but you need to be very careful with your aerial plugs as the slightest loose connection will stop the on demand working properly. Perhaps the update is by region, I am West Midlands
    Hi Sam - No update here yet either and I'm London and BT. I'm sure the update will arrive by tomorrow as some have it already apparently, so it probably depends on Transmitter region maybe. All the best - John
    For those with boxes from TalkTalk and BT it would seem those boxes will update some time in the next couple of weeks based on comments on this other topic about the new software release. Quite why this should be the case when the update is to the core YouView software is less clear but perhaps YouView will explain that on the other topic or TalkTalk and BT will explain it on their own forums.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 30 October 2012, 10:37PM
    Keith1 said:

For those with boxes from TalkTalk and BT it would seem those boxes will update some time in the next couple of weeks based on comments on this other topic about the new software release. Quite why this should be the case when the update is to the core YouView software is less clear but perhaps YouView will explain that on the other topic or TalkTalk and BT will explain it on their own forums.

I can understand why the Talktalk box will update later, because huwawi box needs to add the Talktalk software, however I am a miss to why the box supplied by Bt have a delayed as these are Humax boxes are the same as bought in the shop and running the same software. As humax boxs can not be addressed individuly, can not see any reason why they can not receive the new update
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 31 October 2012, 10:34AM
    The 8.4 software release seems to do everything I wanted. Thanks Team YV.