Channel List Management

Comments

• Peter Price-HornePeter Price-Horne Member Posts: 14
    edited 24 November 2012, 2:07PM
    sorry all i can say is we went to a family independent retailer in southwell notts AJ Beckett and everything is superb so i would recommend to anyone in the area!
    the only other thing to suggest is did you get the devolo powerline adpaters from humax/john lewis cos that's what we've got-others apparently we have been advised may not be as good!
  • Christopher HurstChristopher Hurst Member Posts: 7
    edited 24 November 2012, 2:08PM
    No, but I'll give them a try..
    edited 24 November 2012, 2:10PM
    devolo!!!!!
    edited 24 November 2012, 2:17PM
    by the way ours is freeview not freesat
  • iSPYiSPY Member Posts: 166
    edited 24 November 2012, 5:08PM

alos you do need to be permanently connected to broadband otherwise not only won't you get the updates but you won't be able to use catch up tv as this is how it works. plug your hub into one powerline adpater and your humax into the other but don't plug the powerline adapter into another adapter -it must go straight into the wall or they won't work!

Also using them plugged into a Surge protector is not a good idea as this can interfear with them ;-(
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 25 November 2012, 12:06PM

Hi Martin,

No, my youview is not connected to my broadband. However on initial install I simply connected to my ariel and TV (HDMI).

I have tried using the powerline wall sockets but these did not work. Any suggestions??

If you're youview box is not connected to you're broadband then your box will not have updated and have the capabilities yet. There are other threads on this forum with connection help, or give youview support a call for advice. Once connected your box will update overnight. :-)
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 25 November 2012, 12:08PM

Hi Martin,

No, my youview is not connected to my broadband. However on initial install I simply connected to my ariel and TV (HDMI).

I have tried using the powerline wall sockets but these did not work. Any suggestions??

Apologies for the auto correct bad grammar! Just read it back!
  • GriffsGriffs Member Posts: 1
    edited 1 December 2012, 12:54PM

HOW TO EDIT YOUR CHANNEL LIST

this is how to edit your channel list-i've just done it and it's very simple-
    Go to guide
    presse edit channels-yellow button
    put your pin number in-probably 1234 if you haven't changed it!
    click down with the arrow on the OK ring to highlight the channel you want to hide-press OK-a cross will appear next to this channel
    repeat this step with all the channels you want to hide
    press apply -yellow button
    result-a short guide!!!!!!

I only got mine yesterday and like you said it was easily to hide the channels, I don't want to show. I'm putting my parents Youview box on there TV today, I will do the same for them hiding the adult channels or the selling rubbish channels.
  • Martin SlaterMartin Slater Member Posts: 7
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    I'm on the phone to Talk Talk about the channel management that's missing.
    He appears to know nothing of this and says my request to be able to remove channels is unique.
    So it there going to be an update to correct/add this or not?
  • StiffardStiffard Member Posts: 25
    edited 27 January 2014, 3:37PM
    That's because they're all Talk.

Best

John
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM

I'm on the phone to Talk Talk about the channel management that's missing.
    He appears to know nothing of this and says my request to be able to remove channels is unique.
    So it there going to be an update to correct/add this or not?

There already is, but Talk Talk have not released it yet. Both the retail and BT boxes have the ability to hide channels now.
    edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM
    What's their problem.
    Is anyone high up with talk talk getting any of these posts.
    Can't anyone out there in the big wide world of computers get hold of someone that has the 'balls' to action the resolusion for Talk Talk customers to get the Channel Management facility others now have !!
    I challenge Talk Talk to fix it by Christmas so Talk Talk customer can have a more pleasant Christmas Holiday.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi Martin Slater - it is indeed very disappointing to see that TalkTalk are so far behind the main Humax retail and Humax BT box update schedule. There is another topic on this forum about the schedule for the TalkTalk update. That topic in turn includes a link to the TalkTalk specific forum where there is this topic

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums...

From that forum topic it would seem there is much interest in when the TalkTalk Huawei boxes might get the update but no definitive answer from TalkTalk. Nevertheless I would expect posting on the TalkTalk forum to push for an answer is likely to be more effective than posting on this generic YouView forum.

Lets hope TalkTalk get their act together in terms of both communicating with the customers and also actually getting the update out to them. Hopefully they will also learn from the experience and do better in the future such that when the next main update happens (likely to be January/February) TalkTalk follow more closely.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM

What's their problem.
    Is anyone high up with talk talk getting any of these posts.
    Can't anyone out there in the big wide world of computers get hold of someone that has the 'balls' to action the resolusion for Talk Talk customers to get the Channel Management facility others now have !!
    I challenge Talk Talk to fix it by Christmas so Talk Talk customer can have a more pleasant Christmas Holiday.

You can rest assured that their are quite a few of us trying to get TalkTalk up to speed.
    See Date for December Software Update for more details.
  • AxolotlAxolotl Member Posts: 53
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    On the channel editing issue, I think it needs far more than just the ability to hide channels.

I get transmissions from Crystal Palace (London) and Hannington (Meridian) transmitters, so I have a choice of regional programs, but no ability to renumber them how I want on the Humax box. The duplicates just get dumped in found order from 800 onwards.

I also can't manually tune to get the strongest signal for each channel so for most of the channels I have to put up with a weaker Crystal Palace signal, because the auto tune finds that first.

On my Samsung TVs and Panasonic PVR/DVD I can manually tune and then hide, renumber, sort, create favourites lists to my heart's content. TV / Radio / All favourite lists are automatic.

It is as though the Humax developers have never seen what other manufacturers offer.

I didn't realise I was paying a premium price for a beta box.
  • edited 17 December 2012, 10:52PM
    Axolotl said:

On the channel editing issue, I think it needs far more than just the ability to hide channels.

I get transmissions from Crystal Palace (London) and Hannington (Meridian) transmitters, so I have a choice of regional programs, but no ability to renumber them how I want on the Humax box. The duplicates just get dumped in found order from 800 onwards.

I also can't manually tune to get the strongest signal for each channel so for most of the channels I have to put up with a weaker Crystal Palace signal, because the auto tune finds that first.

On my Samsung TVs and Panasonic PVR/DVD I can manually tune and then hide, renumber, sort, create favourites lists to my heart's content. TV / Radio / All favourite lists are automatic.

It is as though the Humax developers have never seen what other manufacturers offer.

Hi

>> It is as though the Humax developers have never seen what other manufacturers offer.

Humax's developers don't design or decide on the YouView features or software, that's done by YouView.

All Humax - and other device makers - do is assemble the boxes to a given spec and provide the drivers for the hardware which interface with the YouView code.

>> I didn't realise I was paying a premium price for a beta box.

You're not.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 17 December 2012, 10:59PM
    Axolotl said:

Try disconnecting your tv aerial from the you view box start the retune. After the scan gets past the crystal place channels plug the aerial back in and it should only scan the Hannington channels.
  • AxolotlAxolotl Member Posts: 53
    edited 17 December 2012, 11:48PM
    Axolotl said:

My point was that it shouldn't be necessary to perform tricks with my TV aerial lead to get the desired result, the ability to do a manual tune if necessary should be there in the Youview software. It is not such an outlandish thing to expect, since it has been in every other digital tuner I've used or owned. It is the absence of basic functionality like that that makes me consider Youview to be beta code. It seems to me it was released too soon and Youview is now relying on early adopters to test it.
    edited 18 December 2012, 1:26PM
    I've noticed in the last few days Talk Talk have now given it's customers the option to remove the channels never watched which is a good start. As previous in this topic it needs to go a little further. I.e. Re-ordeer the channels so I can put BBC1 HD next to BBC1 etc.. In Humax's defence, I had a Humax 9150T machine which was able to create a new list of channels per member of the house if so wished, and these could be removed, re-ordered, manually tune channels etc.. so it's something to do with the YouView which has cut these options out as they were obviously possible several years ago. I hope that the systems keeps updating and frequently to a system that we ALL expect from the 'hype'.
    Just one more thing for now. Talk Talk offer LoveFilm instant with it's TV package but you need another machine to use it - lol. One day, it may be included???
  • Tim Roberts1Tim Roberts1 Member Posts: 2
    edited 1 January 2013, 6:13PM
    agree! this is a must have!
    HD is one of the reasons for having this service!
  • edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Its silly that I cant move my hd channels to the top of the list
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM

Tee-hee, silly, Tellytubbies bye-bye...
  • jojo Member Posts: 5
    edited 3 January 2013, 7:10PM

I agree with Mathew Hunter. Will really appreciate it when YouView adds the channel list management. :(
  • jojo Member Posts: 5
    edited 4 January 2013, 2:08PM
    I agree with Mathew Hunter. Will really appreciate it when YouView adds the channel list management. :(
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM

This comment was removed on 2013-01-03.

Oh, go on... :-))
  • AndyTAndyT Member Posts: 24
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    As well as agreeing with Mr Hunter's point about children seeing certain channels in the list, I actually don't want them there myself and don't appreciate that their presence is forced upon us. I really should be able to make a personal choice with such things.

This is such a fundamental function of every PVR I've ever used, so I find it hard to understand why it wouldn't be on YouView from the start - and I'd like to express it in the strongest possible terms.

Changing channels has to be the single most performed action on the device, and it's something other manufacturers (including Humax) worked out years ago.
    Come on YouView, to me this seems like basic stuff and so irritating having to scroll through so many pointless shopping and adult channels every single time I want to browse for something to watch.

Part of what I appreciate about hiding and reordering channels is that you can see your what's on your favourites at a glance on a single screen, if you are interested in giving your users the best experience (which I assume you are) this simply has to be rectified.

Basic requirement surely - disbelief we even had to mention it.
    I look forward to being impressed at how you listen to your customers who have shown the faith to jump in and buy your product.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM
    AndyT said:

As well as agreeing with Mr Hunter's point about children seeing certain channels in the list, I actually don't want them there myself and don't appreciate that their presence is forced upon us. I really should be able to make a personal choice with such things.

This is such a fundamental function of every PVR I've ever used, so I find it hard to understand why it wouldn't be on YouView from the start - and I'd like to express it in the strongest possible terms.

Changing channels has to be the single most performed action on the device, and it's something other manufacturers (including Humax) worked out years ago.
    Come on YouView, to me this seems like basic stuff and so irritating having to scroll through so many pointless shopping and adult channels every single time I want to browse for something to watch.

Part of what I appreciate about hiding and reordering channels is that you can see your what's on your favourites at a glance on a single screen, if you are interested in giving your users the best experience (which I assume you are) this simply has to be rectified.

I look forward to being impressed at how you listen to your customers who have shown the faith to jump in and buy your product.

The ability to hide channels was in the last release. Just go into the Guide and press the Yellow button on the remote. You can then hide the channels you don't want.
    edited 23 February 2014, 10:49PM
    AndyT said:

Really? awesome!

Well I can't believe they didn't include it in the first . . . only kidding.

Only had the thing 24hrs and couldn't find a way of doing it - very frustrated hence my mini rant on here. It obviously hasn't updated to the latest software version yet. I'll find a way, thanks very much for replying

credit where it's due then, thank you for listening YouView...
    ...assuming it works ;0)
    edited 23 February 2014, 10:49PM
    AndyT said:

hmmm, did a check and the device says I'm on the latest version as follows:

Manufacturer software: 7.10.0
    Component software: 1.0.16
    Platform configuration: 230

there is still no yellow button functionality in my Guide, only green, to 'jump to now'
    edited 14 January 2017, 8:10AM
    hmmm, did a check and the device says I'm on the latest version as follows:

Manufacturer software: 7.10.0
    Component software: 1.0.16
    Platform configuration: 230

there is still no yellow button functionality in my Guide, only green, to 'jump to now'