Channel List Management

Comments

• jojo Member Posts: 5
    edited 4 January 2013, 2:08PM
    AndyT said:

As well as agreeing with Mr Hunter's point about children seeing certain channels in the list, I actually don't want them there myself and don't appreciate that their presence is forced upon us. I really should be able to make a personal choice with such things.

This is such a fundamental function of every PVR I've ever used, so I find it hard to understand why it wouldn't be on YouView from the start - and I'd like to express it in the strongest possible terms.

Changing channels has to be the single most performed action on the device, and it's something other manufacturers (including Humax) worked out years ago.
    Come on YouView, to me this seems like basic stuff and so irritating having to scroll through so many pointless shopping and adult channels every single time I want to browse for something to watch.

Part of what I appreciate about hiding and reordering channels is that you can see your what's on your favourites at a glance on a single screen, if you are interested in giving your users the best experience (which I assume you are) this simply has to be rectified.

Basic requirement surely - disbelief we even had to mention it.
    I look forward to being impressed at how you listen to your customers who have shown the faith to jump in and buy your product.

Unfortunately, when you go to guide and press the yellow button and select hide, parental control pin, ect, it doesn't hide all the adult channels. About 13 remain unable to be hidden- which is just unacceptable, especially if you run a children's home or similar. They can be viewed for free from midnight for 10 minutes, and let's be honest- who needs more than 10 minutes when you're a teen.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM
    AndyT said:

As well as agreeing with Mr Hunter's point about children seeing certain channels in the list, I actually don't want them there myself and don't appreciate that their presence is forced upon us. I really should be able to make a personal choice with such things.

This is such a fundamental function of every PVR I've ever used, so I find it hard to understand why it wouldn't be on YouView from the start - and I'd like to express it in the strongest possible terms.

Changing channels has to be the single most performed action on the device, and it's something other manufacturers (including Humax) worked out years ago.
    Come on YouView, to me this seems like basic stuff and so irritating having to scroll through so many pointless shopping and adult channels every single time I want to browse for something to watch.

Part of what I appreciate about hiding and reordering channels is that you can see your what's on your favourites at a glance on a single screen, if you are interested in giving your users the best experience (which I assume you are) this simply has to be rectified.

I look forward to being impressed at how you listen to your customers who have shown the faith to jump in and buy your product.

I have them all hidden on my box. Which channels, specifically, can you still see?
    edited 4 January 2013, 2:13PM
    AndyT said:

I did this- :

1. Press the YouView button on the remote control.
    2. Select 'Settings' and press 'OK'.
    3. Select 'Device Management' and press 'OK'.
    4. Select 'Software Update' and press 'OK'.
    5. Select 'Get Update' and press 'OK'.
    Then when I looked again after I had pressed the Y button, then guide - the yellow edit button had became available. I clicked it, typed in my PIN, then clicked ok on all the channels I didn't want. Now i can't see any rubbish or adult content at all!... All we need now is to know how to put them in order of favourites. :)
    edited 4 January 2013, 2:14PM
    I did this- :

1. Press the YouView button on the remote control.
    2. Select 'Settings' and press 'OK'.
    3. Select 'Device Management' and press 'OK'.
    4. Select 'Software Update' and press 'OK'.
    5. Select 'Get Update' and press 'OK'.
    Then when I looked again after I had pressed the Y button, then guide - the yellow edit button had became available. I clicked it, typed in my PIN, then clicked ok on all the channels I didn't want. Now i can't see any rubbish or adult content at all!... All we need now is to know how to put them in order of favourites. :)
  • juwlzjuwlz Member Posts: 27
    edited 12 February 2013, 7:47PM
    At the moment, all you can do is delete the ones you don't want. Being able to get them in the order you want them hasn't been implemented ... hopefully we can append "yet" to that.
  • DuvetManDuvetMan Member Posts: 75
    edited 2 August 2014, 3:52PM
    I really like to see a groupings option so for example only the kids channels are displayed.

Additionally why cant there be a favourites group and this be an automatic top 10 (or 20!) of the most commonly watched channels
  • AndyrtAndyrt Member Posts: 2
    edited 19 January 2013, 7:03PM
    This is just irritating. It seems utterly illogical not to group channels and h Humax UI is usually so good.

It makes no sense not to be able to do it. Please make this a setting
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Freeview determine the order of their EPG. It is a big issue for broadcasters. It is entirely beyond the control of YouView.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 12 February 2013, 10:36PM
    The Panasonic DMR-BWT720 PVR allows swapping one channel for another, so BBC1 HD can be renumbered to number 1 etc.
    >>The Panasonic DMR-BWT720 PVR allows swapping one channel for another, so BBC1 HD can be renumbered to number 1 etc.<<

Excellent. Anybody who yearns for that facility should clearly buy one of those.
  • StiffardStiffard Member Posts: 25
    edited 27 January 2014, 3:37PM
    A little rude I think Mr RedChiz. The facility being discussed here is pretty much standard on most other comparable devices. I would hope to see it in the next update. All the best - John
  • AndyrtAndyrt Member Posts: 2
    edited 19 January 2013, 10:49PM
    Redchiz, it is manageable through he ability to create. Favourite list, as per the Humax pvr.

It's not a big ask I think?
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2013, 5:42PM
    the removal of channels was a great start and addressed the concerns of people not wanting the adult channels displayed.

i totaly agree a some form of Favourite list should be in future added and for them with family's the ability for a few fave lists for husband wife and child.

just adding my support for it nothing more ;)
    >>A little rude I think Mr RedChiz. The facility being discussed here is pretty much standard on most other comparable devices. I would hope to see it in the next update.<<

Rude? How?

Machine X doesn't do what you want. Machine Y does. QED buy Machine Y.

That's all I'm saying.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    You know, talking in general, I've owned many PVR's over the years, some have had the Favorites facility, and some haven't. And I've never implemented it once. Nor felt the need to, either.

As if I want to watch a channel, I just press the channel number.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 19 January 2013, 10:57PM
    redchiz said:

>>A little rude I think Mr RedChiz. The facility being discussed here is pretty much standard on most other comparable devices. I would hope to see it in the next update.<<

Rude? How?

Machine X doesn't do what you want. Machine Y does. QED buy Machine Y.

That's all I'm saying.

But this forum discusses improvements to be made to the box, something which YouView are prepared to do. So "QED buy Machine Y" has not been demonstrated at all, QED, ask for YouView to provide Channel List Management is just as demonstrable.
  • StiffardStiffard Member Posts: 25
    edited 27 January 2014, 3:37PM
    Facilities on any machine, should cater for the most extreme of demands, not just those that are easily pleased. This all comes down to the YouView Box being launched prematurely, because of the threat of being left behind by the competition. It's catch from now on!!! Best - John
    edited 19 January 2013, 11:19PM
    Visionman said:

You know, talking in general, I've owned many PVR's over the years, some have had the Favorites facility, and some haven't. And I've never implemented it once. Nor felt the need to, either.

I felt exactly the same before HD, but now I find it nice to be able to put the main HD channels at 1-4 instead of way past anything that I'd normally be interested in. You say that if you want to watch anything you just press the channel number, but most people are, primarily at least, interested in BBC1, BBCHD, ITV1HD, and CH4HD and it's nice to have them as single digit selections rather than triple. No big deal I agree, but it makes life a bit easier, with no downside, so what's not to like?
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 19 January 2013, 11:25PM
    Visionman said:

----so what's not to like?

jeremy kyle in HD

lol only playing bro
    edited 19 January 2013, 11:30PM
    Visionman said:

Agreed, I suppose I should have left ITV1HD out of my list.
  • AndyTAndyT Member Posts: 24
    edited 14 January 2017, 8:10AM
    Like elsewhere above, I can memorise a few numbers, but if there's no need to then why ?
    If there is no need for convenient functionality, why does the box come with a remote control...

Anyway, I'd like a re-ordering facility so that I can see what's on across 6 of my favourite channels at any one time, on a rolling/scrolling basis in the Guide.
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Cicero 10 minutes ago
    I felt exactly the same before HD, but now I find it nice to be able to put the main HD channels at 1-4 instead of way past anything that I'd normally be interested in. You say that if you want to watch anything you just press the channel number, but most people are, primarily at least, interested in BBC1, BBCHD, ITV1HD, and CH4HD and it's nice to have them as single digit selections rather than triple. No big deal I agree, but it makes life a bit easier, with no downside, so what's not to like?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, point taken.

Take my Sky HD box for instance. Sky have grouped all their own pay-for HD channels together in groups, nice and convenient like, and yet spread all the Freesat HD channels all over the place -

143, 169, 178, and 230. Nowt like Sky making free HD TV awkward to access eh?

So yes, point taken. It's a convenience. Nothing more, nothing less. But it can make ones TV EPG life easier.
    edited 19 January 2013, 11:49PM
    Visionman said:

Cicero 10 minutes ago
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, point taken.

Take my Sky HD box for instance. Sky have grouped all their own pay-for HD channels together in groups, nice and convenient like, and yet spread all the Freesat HD channels all over the place -

So yes, point taken. It's a convenience. Nothing more, nothing less. But it can make ones TV EPG life easier.

Agreed, just a convenience, and I like also AndyT's point above about seeing what's on across 6 favourite channels on one screen.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM
    Visionman said:

Cicero 10 minutes ago

Oh, point taken.

It may be 'just a convenience' but it is the item that most people have said they want on these forums, by quite a long way. 180 votes versus the next one's 153.
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Visionman said:

Cicero 10 minutes ago

Oh, point taken.

Agreed, it can make ones TV EPG life easier.
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Visionman said:

Madcotto 1 hour ago
    ----so what's not to like?

jeremy kyle in HD
    ------------------------

Jeremy Kyle in HD? Oh Noooo! Wheres that Hide button?
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 20 January 2013, 11:05AM
    Visionman said:

Cicero 10 minutes ago

Oh, point taken.

Just to be clear: People have *not* been voting specifically for having the HD channels put in place of the equivalent SD channels in the channel ordering.
  • Martin SlaterMartin Slater Member Posts: 7
    edited 21 November 2013, 2:39PM
    I think the main point to the re-ordering is to be able to make your own choice as to where the channels appear and the easiest way to get to them.
    I had a Humax 9150T and I was able to group channels together to on "channel hopping" I went BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, ITV, ITV+1, ITV2, ITV2+1, you get the idea, I didn't re-number them I was just able to move them next to each other or wherever I wanted. This facility has been available for years and I would have though an easy option to add to the TalkTalk "YouView" box too.
    As for buying a box which does this, it's not an option when there is only one type given to you within a package.
    Please add and update with this ASAP.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM
    Visionman said:

Cicero 10 minutes ago

Oh, point taken.

Agreed, gomez - (181... and counting). However, the broad requirements most people have have clearly been voted for by a significant number - however you wish to use them. Re-ordering does not need to re-number the channels IMHO - just place them where you want them in the guide. I, for instance, wouldn't want the HD channels near the top. I rarely watch HD, and almost never record it, as it takes up more precious disk space than the non-HD equivalent. But the key to any provision in this area must be to provide something that will be useful to anyone, however you wish to re-order. Whilst I would only want one order, I can quite see how some people may wish to re-order the guide differently for each member of the family i.e. a set of 'favourite orders', each individually named for each family member. Hopefully any implementation will cater for that also.
  • blueeagle1966blueeagle1966 Member Posts: 35
    edited 1 February 2013, 4:49PM
    redchiz said:

Freeview determine the order of their EPG. It is a big issue for broadcasters. It is entirely beyond the control of YouView.

Not true My Freeview box in the bedroom allows re-ordering of channels.