Channel List Management

Comments

• edited 27 March 2013, 11:56PM
    This wasn't included from startup which says a lot about Youview (useless) and this thread has been under consideration for 7 months!

Today I emailed them and the response was rather PR, updates will come but nothing more than that, no real answer to the question.

I'm sorry I got this expensive box
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi John - YouView did implement a part of this idea last year, i.e. channel hiding. That was an improvement but I would still very much like to be able to reorder the channel list so hope they will indeed implement that part of the idea in due course. Whilst there are various features I would like to see added over time this is probably the feature I would most like to see that I would consider part of core functionality on most other PVRs.
  • HuntleycatHuntleycat Member Posts: 1
    edited 28 March 2013, 5:47PM
    Agree with all these comments, got BT Humax box today. Found out how to hide unwanted channels with the yellow button but amazed that cannot reorder channels in a favourites list. My Philips pvr hdt8500 does that easily and it had all sorts of software problems early on!
  • chris2chris2 Member Posts: 8
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    I Bought my youview 31st. march. this is the 5th. type of humax box i have had over the years Each model got better . I have observerly been a fan.!
    I am so disappointed, I thought I was upgrading. All previous humax's had edit lists and favourites lists. what a faf. no favs . a advert skip function thats not adjustable and doesn't work. A slower filling epg than fox t2 with no 3 hour jump forward or back ! I except there can be teething problems with any new model, but i waited a good while before i got mine! what a mistake I have made. I got it from argos so there is a no 7 day return policily.
    I am going back to use my fox t2 for now till these problems are solved
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM
    chris2 said:

I Bought my youview 31st. march. this is the 5th. type of humax box i have had over the years Each model got better . I have observerly been a fan.!
    I am so disappointed, I thought I was upgrading. All previous humax's had edit lists and favourites lists. what a faf. no favs . a advert skip function thats not adjustable and doesn't work. A slower filling epg than fox t2 with no 3 hour jump forward or back ! I except there can be teething problems with any new model, but i waited a good while before i got mine! what a mistake I have made. I got it from argos so there is a no 7 day return policily.

The boxes you have had in the past have been Humax hardware boxes with Humax software. This is not an upgraded Humax box, it is YouView software, with a Humax box. Any hardware manufacturer is able to make a YouView box, but they will all have the same software.
  • edited 3 April 2013, 11:13AM
    chris2 said:

You are completely wrong. Humax do make the software for their own boxes but they have to stick to Youview guidelines for them which in this case keeps them stuck in the dark ages.

TBH its took so long for them to introduce something so simple like this I've given up with the useless (censored).

Those fools waiting for the Android App are even bigger mugs.

I should have kept away from Youview when I heard Alan Suger was involved
    edited 1 April 2013, 1:44PM
    chris2 said:

Oh I thought humax are the only makers of youview boxes! my mistake
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 1 April 2013, 1:48PM
    chris2 said:

Humax are the only retail manufacturers (so far). Huawei make the TalkTalk version.
    chris2 said:

@John Cole - I am not 'completely wrong'. The Youview layer is the same on each box, regardless of who manufacturers it, because it is made by YouView. Do you really think that every hardware manufacturer goes off and makes their own version of the YouView software? The developers at YouView have a cushy job then don't they, just sitting there twiddling their thumbs whilst multiple companies do their job for them.

I did omit the fact that there is a software layer made by Humax as well, but the customer facing software is YouView. I am pretty sure all of the issues raised by Chris above are YouView.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 1 April 2013, 1:52PM
    I had a Fox T2 as well and although I was surprised there was no 3 hour skip feature, it's not something I consider essential. I never used the favourites list so that was no loss and I haven't noticed any difference in the speed of the EPG so the benefits offered by the YouView box outweigh these minor differences.
  • edited 1 April 2013, 2:23PM
    chris2 said:

No you are because the hardware will be different on the boxes which means the drivers the software needs will. The manufacturers just have to keep to the Youview specs and standards like having no ruddy channel favorites
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:34AM
    If I can interject on the points John and drhowells are discussing, device manufacturers do supply some code for the boxes but this is essentially just the drivers for the hardware and software to power components such as the DTT tuners.

The GUI, the EPG and all the on screen elements the user sees are part of the YouView software layer which is provided by YouView and is the same on all boxes from all manufacturers, subject to those weeks when an update is rolling out.
  • edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    Like I said it will be the standard. I've been in IT now for 28yrs but you claim to know everything if you like Martin, I don't really care. The point here is everyone can see Youview are extracting the urine to the point manufacturers are getting blamed when its not their fault
    Removed1 said:

Like I said it will be the standard. I've been in IT now for 28yrs but you claim to know everything if you like Martin, I don't really care. The point here is everyone can see Youview are extracting the urine to the point manufacturers are getting blamed when its not their fault

John - I was specifically responding to Chris's question. I didn't see the need to go down to the drivers level of software as that has nothing to do with what he asked. His issues are to do with the YouView software. Martin summed it up nicely and in a much more polite way than you (bet you don't hear that very often Martin :)

I have also worked in IT for many years, which is irrelevant to the question and the answer.

I am going to delete my posts in relation to this matter in a few minutes, so that this thread does not descend into another argument.
  • edited 1 April 2013, 3:28PM
    Removed1 said:

We shouldn't be having arguments. This once again shows how backward Youview is when customers are complaining about something simple yet vital for viewing these days.

The fact that Youview are clearly in no rush to implement channel favorites or even confirm they are coming is a ruddy disgrace
    edited 1 April 2013, 4:18PM
    Removed1 said:

Oh What have I Done, It seems to have disturbed a hornets nest.
    All I wanted was a machine that worked better than my older machines,not one that is inferior. Who cares who did the software, but someone did, so fix it please.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 6:50PM
    Removed1 said:

John

>> you claim to know everything if you like Martin, I don't really care

It's not about claiming to know everything, it's about having read the YouView guide for device manufacturers which says:

Core Device Software.
    This is built, installed and managed by the Device Manufacturer. It contains all native code that runs on the device.

Platform Software.
    This is built, installed and managed by the Platform Operator. It can be updated by the Platform Operator independently of Device Manufacturers and without needing to upgrade the Core Device Software.

It includes the Platform Main UI, which is a runtime application providing the consumer device‟s built-in user-interface. This includes: device setup, viewer settings, access to linear TV, access to DVR functionality, and discovery of on-demand content and services.

https://industry.youview.com/resource...
  • blueeagle1966blueeagle1966 Member Posts: 35
    edited 1 April 2013, 6:12PM

Its silly that I cant move my hd channels to the top of the list

I believe TalkTalk are planning to add the boost channels to the main YouView EPG eventually.
    If you are on TalkTalk I would pester them over on their forums.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    chris2 said:

@chris

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticD...
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 1 April 2013, 7:00PM
    chris2 said:

Not on youview.

But Chris if you get one of the known problems such as failed recordings or clipped re cordings, then you may be able to return it for a refund as not fit for purpose.
  • edited 2 April 2013, 1:58PM
    Martin please give it a rest. You can see what people want here and its not asking to much considering a £9.99 freeview box has a favourite feature but this £299 Youview one doesn't.

Are we really asking that much, to try and make excuses for this is ridiculous
    Hi John

You made a claim that was incorrect and then insisted you were right when you were not. Proof of the reality was posted, yet rather than simply face up to your error you've tried the old "give it a rest" routine.

It's a nice but doomed attempt to deflect from your own error but it doesn't wash.

I've made no excuses, merely added some facts to the discussion which was being had.

What's "ridiculous" is you distorting what people have said because it's easier than just accepting your past assertions that the software on the box was coded and supplied by Humax was incorrect.
  • edited 2 April 2013, 3:13PM
    No I didn't, I said Youview will not be behind the software build of the boxes as they do not make them. They will be behind the spec and format of the design though so please stop being obtuse and trying to hi-jack the thread.

There seems to be some agenda going on here.

Do you think you could stick to the topic of customers wanting a favourites feature on this 300 quid box?
    >> said Youview will not be behind the software build of the boxes as they do not make them. They will be behind the stand spec and format of the design

Not true.

The YouView application / software layer is coded in house by YouView's own developers and sits above the wholly separate device layer which is coded, or at least, assembled by the box manufacturers.

YouView do not merely, as you claim above, mandate the design for the GUI, they build it.

>> stop being obtuse and trying to hi-jack the thread.

YOU have turned the thread into a discussion about who codes what because you have refused to accept reality when it was explained to you and continue to claim that black is white and up is down.

In fact your determination to turn this thread into a discussion about who codes what is proven by the fact that you re-raised the topic a full 22 hours after I or anyone else last commented on it.
  • edited 2 April 2013, 7:01PM
    Martin I'm putting you on ignore because you are clearly a troll and I don't believe in feeding them. I strongly recommend others do the same otherwise he will get his wish and hi-hack this thread.

The main point here is we the customers want a favourites feature for this £300 set top box
  • pjbiddulphpjbiddulph Member Posts: 5
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    For gods sake you two. John is quite right and all we really want to do is get the channels organised and the ability to delete. We don't want to know who programmed what, and at what band width was or whO built it and who designed it or whatever the "IT" phrase. ALL WE WANT IS FOR YOUVIEW TO LISTEN TO US, so back off Martin and put your toys back in your pram.

PS I also worked in IT back in the glory days of having to write our own programs in basic assembler or fortran, but I don't bring it up in conversation often.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM

For gods sake you two. John is quite right and all we really want to do is get the channels organised and the ability to delete. We don't want to know who programmed what, and at what band width was or whO built it and who designed it or whatever the "IT" phrase. ALL WE WANT IS FOR YOUVIEW TO LISTEN TO US, so back off Martin and put your toys back in your pram.

PS I also worked in IT back in the glory days of having to write our own programs in basic assembler or fortran, but I don't bring it up in conversation often.

I think you just did......
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Flaggy FlagPantsFlaggy FlagPants Member Posts: 64
    edited 3 April 2013, 4:02PM

Lodda good work for charidy, don't like to talk about it...
  • Peter WillusPeter Willus Member Posts: 2
    edited 12 November 2013, 10:38PM
    Users should be allower to filter or delete the subscription channels if they dont use them , bt vision and now tv clogs up the on demand search
  • PostatPostat Member Posts: 5
    edited 15 August 2013, 3:08PM
    I agree with the above comments, channel management is a must have, at the moment I am considering returning my Youview to Humax because of this and going back to my HRD FOX T2