Extending search functionality to cover the guide too

KeithKeith Posts: 2,428Member, Champion mod
edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Feedback
*** Summarised idea from trials process ***

Currently the search functionality only searches the on-demand content. However, it is just as likely people will wish to search the electronic programme guide (EPG).

The search functionality should thus be extended to cover the EPG too.

The search could then either be context specific (i.e. when in the guide only search the guide) or it could offer filters to the search results returned.

Of course since the guide includes the past as well as the future simply searching the whole guide could still return on-demand items or items that are not available at all so it may be appropriate to have the guide search just search forward in time by default (but perhaps with an option to include the past too).

Comments

• Gary PGary P Posts: 14Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:34AM
    Keith was a member of our trial group who took it upon himself to record the best ideas our trial community came up with for making YouView even better. He's kindly agreed to help us bring those ideas over to the new public forum. Thanks Keith! - YouView
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,023Member ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    Another big feature hole for me here, most other modern PVRs allow this, needs to be added so you can search the live/broadcast/DTT guide and on-demand/catchup.
  • tracestraces Posts: 199Member
    edited 24 November 2016, 8:25PM
    Searching for future episodes is a vital feature and will hopefully be added soon.
  • alal Posts: 1,298Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    I pressed +1

But this feature needs a +10 button.
  • swedish cookswedish cook Posts: 27Member
    edited 20 September 2012, 6:52PM
    +10 here too, but I don't want to see search hits for missed programs that are not available.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 18Member
    edited 30 October 2012, 11:43AM
    This is one of the reasons I still have my Fox T2 parked next to the YouView box. It's so useful to be able to search by genre and scroll through the list of films for the coming week.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    My current pvr has an option to look at categories, although, to be honest, I find the categories relatively useless and too broad. However, one category we regularly use is the Movies category, as Andy said above - it is really useful to be able to review the films due to be broadcast over the coming week, to see which ones you wish to record. Of course, if this were available, a REALLY neat feature would be to be able to link automatically from a specific film description in the guide to the IMDB to see the film reviews - now that WOULD be neat - and really useful. With an online box, this functionality should be possible.
  • JK-47JK-47 Posts: 7Member
    edited 24 September 2012, 5:35PM
    Mentioned this in the feedback while testing the box, would be very useful as I used this feature previously on the HDR-FOX T2
  • Paul4Paul4 Posts: 6Member
    edited 30 October 2012, 11:43AM
    Having just bought the youview box I think this is a much needed feature. Not being able to search for a programme i want to record is a big issue for me - having to scroll through the guide to find a programme is very time consuming!
  • JulesJules Posts: 9Member
    edited 31 October 2012, 11:49AM
    My major gripe with this box is not being able to search freeview content.
    However this functionality needs to be added to the freeview interface as well as the existing search box, as I don’t want to rely on internet access to give me freeview content.
  • John3John3 Posts: 6Member
    edited 24 September 2012, 5:55PM
    Said it before during the trial and will say it again. Just take the search function from humax pvr9150 please, it worked fine, then add the player content. By the way, the additional episodes function only picks up on demand content and fails to look to see if you have already recorded it. Essential if you are on capped broadband download limits.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi

YouView aren't able to just take functions from Humax boxes.

The YouView software is written to work on multiple boxes, code has to fit into existing modules & functions and not all YouView boxes are made by Humax.
  • twelve stockstwelve stocks Posts: 33Member
    edited 25 September 2012, 10:41AM
    Even my ancient Humax 9200T allowed this and I used to use the search function and the genre browsing (for movies) regularly.
  • endsbowenendsbowen Posts: 38Member
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:29PM
    This would be a big win for me, and makes sense as you should need to worry if on demand, epg , or in your recorded items.
  • Dave71Dave71 Posts: 95Member
    edited 1 October 2012, 2:05PM
    I bought a Humax DTR-T1000 yesterday, and I was very surprised that the search doesn't include the guide.

I thought I was doing something wrong until I realised that it's only 'half' a search.

The design seems like it's so focussed on being a catch-up TV player, that it's completely forgot about the standard features you'd expect from a PVR.
  • Matthew HunterMatthew Hunter Posts: 2Member
    edited 31 October 2012, 11:47AM
    I got my YouView box this morning. Like others have said, I thought I was doing something wrong in 'search'. I was very surprised and disappointed that this 'basic' PVR feature is not yet included. Please try and get the feature up and running as soon as possible - at least can you confirm it's being worked on?
    Something similar to to the Humax 9300, ideally with a couple of extra categories such as SciFi/Fantasy and US Drama.

There is a lot to like about the YouView service, but I couldn't recommend it to family and friends until this feature is available.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    "ideally with a couple of extra categories such as SciFi/Fantasy and US Drama"

I suspect it's for the broadcasters to categorise their content, not YouView.
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. We are working on this feature, and I've just updated to status of this topic to "planned". We'll let you know as soon as the release is scheduled. We hadn't forgotten it about, and we do know how important it is. Thanks for all your feedback here.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 18Member
    edited 28 September 2012, 7:52PM
    Piers2 said:

Hi everyone. We are working on this feature, and I've just updated to status of this topic to "planned". We'll let you know as soon as the release is scheduled. We hadn't forgotten it about, and we do know how important it is. Thanks for all your feedback here.

Hooray! :-)
    fantastic result
    fantastic result
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Piers2 said:

Thanks for the heads-up, Piers. Good to know it is in the works!
  • Paul4Paul4 Posts: 6Member
    edited 29 September 2012, 8:48AM
    Great news, thanks for listening to your customers!
  • WarriorWarrior Posts: 11Member
    Is it possible to implement the search by genre into the guide?

I find searching by genre really useful for finding the sports in the on demand section!

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    Search guide by genre not just on demand.
    edited 17 November 2015, 4:18PM
    Warrior said:

I find searching by genre really useful for finding the sports in the on demand section!

Hi Warrior. Yes, we are working on this feature now, due for release early next year.
  • WarriorWarrior Posts: 11Member
    edited 29 September 2012, 12:43PM
    Warrior said:

Ok thanks!!
    edited 17 November 2015, 4:18PM
    Warrior said:

Hi. I might have been a bit hasty in merging these topics, and I've just re-read your post. We are implementing search for programmes in the guide, but the first version will only cover searching by keywords, and text. We do have genre search on our roadmap, but not a release date for it. Apologies for the confusion and for getting your hopes up. We'll let you know when it's planned.
  • PhilsyPhilsy Posts: 28Member
    edited 27 October 2012, 6:49PM
    I'd like to add my support for this, which would be far more useful than being able to search for recorded and on-demand programmes.

Thanks

Phil
  • richard1richard1 Posts: 4Member
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    i had tvonics hd500, it has the search function but the best function was you can reorder the channels in the epg list to your liking. i had all bbc channels then all itv then all channel 4 programmes in the list this would be an excellent feature.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,428Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:29PM
    richard1 said:

i had tvonics hd500, it has the search function but the best function was you can reorder the channels in the epg list to your liking. i had all bbc channels then all itv then all channel 4 programmes in the list this would be an excellent feature.

Hi Richard - pretty much everybody agrees that channel list management is needed, there is a separate topic all about channel list management.