Add DLNA functionality

Comments

• alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    redchiz said:

I have never really understood the need/benefits of this myself, anybody care to give me an idiot's guide? Me being the idiot, not you!

dlna is an incredibly clunky way to use something like your tv to control (poorly) and attempt to display some of the media (if it's in exactly the right format) from another device. I'm not a big fan.
  • MattManMattMan Member Posts: 277
    edited 22 June 2016, 4:23PM
    redchiz said:

I have never really understood the need/benefits of this myself, anybody care to give me an idiot's guide? Me being the idiot, not you!

Redchiz
    With the right backend software and hardware and the right client software streaming media works like a dream all your videos, music and pictures can all be see on your TV. If all is working then you can also get cross platform sync, start watching on one device then continue on a different device/TV.
    I do believe that DLNA will never come to youview this is why I gave up asking and got a different device for this only. Sorry youview but needs must.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2015, 9:14PM
    redchiz said:

Hi MattMan. What device did you end up using for Dlna duties?
    redchiz said:

I have a home server running Fedora 19 linux with plex media software and two SKY now TV boxes running plex player and two Raspberry PI running OpenELEC as you can see I have a lot of TVs in the house. They all take the video, Music and pictures from the server and at the say time all sync with each other with starting/stopping and continuing on different device. 
    Let me know if you would like any help setting up something like this. 
    I do believe that there are some NAS boxes that support plex media software.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    redchiz said:

I converted my old laptop into a Plex Server at the weekend. Really impressed so far.
    redchiz said:

drhowells, what platform/os are you using.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    redchiz said:

I bought a new SSD for my laptop and re-installed Windows 7 on it. I have kept it very minimalist and only really have Plex Server and Plex Home Theatre running off it at the same time. It is connected to my TV via HDMI and is always on. I have copied media to it via wifi whilst watching something else with no performance impacts of any kind.

Great to start watching something on TV and then finish watching it in bed on my Android phone.
    redchiz said:

if you have a TV in the bed with a HDMI port you could get a NowTV box for £15 and install plex player on this even better than a small phone screen.
    edited 16 January 2015, 9:37AM
    redchiz said:

That sounds good Mattman. I hadn't realised you could install plex on now tv. Very good for the price. Apparently you can put plex onto the Amazon fire tv too. I've not yet tried plex. Have you heard of xbmc? Are there any significant differences between the 2?

Would Fedora 19 linux work on a Mac? Also which nas would u recommend?
    redchiz said:

I have a version of XBMC running on two Raspberry Pi called OpenELEC. One of the main differences that I can see between Plex and XBMC is in Transcoding (Converting a video file on the fly to a format that the player knows) XBMC running on the Raspberry PI will transcode most video file therefore you will not need a server but Plex players needs a PMS (Plex Media Server) as the transcoding is done on the server (the computer running PMS).
    PMS also handles the start/stop sync across different device / players. XBMC can be set up to do this but then you need a server / computer running mySQL software.
    Fedora will run on a Mac hardware but i'm not a fan of Macs so I would not know that much about this, sorry.
    Regarding the NAS, to get one that can handle running PMS it would cost quite a lot therefore you might be better of running a old desktop / laptop as your server and point it to the hard drive with you video files.
    Not to sure this forum software will allow PM to people if it does send me one. 
    If you are looking for a home server have a look here as this is what I'm currently using https://www.amahi.org/features
    edited 16 January 2015, 11:31AM
    redchiz said:

Thanks MattMan. That's a lot of info to digest. I'll look into your suggestions. With regards to transcoding, does that lower the quality of the played files?
  • DuvetManDuvetMan Member Posts: 75
    edited 16 January 2015, 12:34PM
    redchiz said:

The advantage of plex sever is that it is all central so if you have watched an episode the server marks the episode as watched not the client thus when accessing from other devices it's updated

open elec and xmbc effectively acts as a client accessing the files individually and marking the episode as watched only on that particular device so if you have another xbmc device connected to a tv it will not know you have watched that episode.

however if you are only using one xbmc and combining this with accessing your collections on tablets/smartphones then you can use an app called yatse that will connect to xbmc, using that to sync what you have watched

the one problem with plex is that as stated the server does the transposing and therefore need to have enough power and resources to do that and all the other work that particular server need to do
    edited 16 January 2015, 12:35PM
    redchiz said:

This is all really helpful. Thanks all
  • mariiopacmariiopac Member Posts: 2
    edited 18 January 2015, 1:03PM
    Keith1 said:

My impression from what YouView have said is that they recognise the importance of DLNA to some of us (me included) but that this is not at the absolute top of their priority list. As such based on their statement of software updates roughly every 3 months I do not expect we will see this until at least January/February.

Buy real school Diplomatic ([email protected]) passports,driver's license,id cards,visas

Purchase real and Novelty Passports,id cards,visas,drivers license ,Permits for all countries Are
    trying to change your nationality ? do you need work papers ? do you want travel ? do you need
    papers you cant have ?if yes , then you are in the right place at the right time We are an independent
    group of specialized IT professionals and data base technicians who are specialized in the production
    of quality documents such as passports,drivers license,id cards,stamps,visas,diplomas of very high quality
    and other products for all countries: USA, Australia,UK, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italian, Finland, France,
    Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, . This list is not full.contact Southern
    général:To get the additional information and place the order just call or contact us via email contact number.

Contact e-mails:=========:[email protected]

General support:========:[email protected]

contact number:================:+237651042068

Contact SKYPE NAME:================:real1documents

Feel free to contact via email or call at any time of the day for
        Keywords Buy
    Registered and unregistered USA(United States) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Australian passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Belgium passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian(Canada) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Finnish(Finland) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherlands/Holland) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Israel passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Spanish(Spain) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Mexican(Mexico) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered South African passports.
    Buy Registered and unregistered Australian driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherlands/Holland) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Diplomatic passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered USA(United States) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Australian passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Belgium passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian(Canada) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Finnish(Finland) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherlands/Holland) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Israel passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Spanish(Spain) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Mexican(Mexico) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered South African passports.
    Buy Registered and unregistered Australian driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherlands/Holland) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Diplomatic passports,
    Registered and unregistered Camouflage passports,
    Registered and unregistered passport Duplicates,
    Registered and unregistered USA(united States) passports for sale,
    Registered and unregistered Australian passports for sell,
    Registered and unregistered Belgium passports for sell,
    Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) passports for sell,

Purchase real and Novelty Passports,id cards,visas,drivers licenses
    Permits for all countries Are trying to change your nationality ?
    do you need work papers ? do you want travel ? do you need papers you
    cant have ?if yes , then you are in the right place at the right
    time We are an independent group of specialized IT professionals and
    data base technicians who are specialized in the production of quality
    documents such as passports,drivers license,id cards,stamps,visas,
    diplomas of very high quality and other products for all countries:
    USA, Australia,UK, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italian, Finland, France,
    Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland,
    This list is not full.contact Southern général:To get the additional
    information and place the order just call or contact us via email contact number.
    Contact e- mails: contact ((((( [email protected]))))
  • AndyBurtonAndyBurton Member Posts: 11
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    I can't believe in 2015 there still isn't a YouView box with DLNA.

I have the Humax T-1010 box which is brilliant to use, far better than the built-in Freeview HD functionality and guide in any TV i've used, and i'd get another 2 YouView boxes in a heartbeat - if they had DLNA.

Currently with multiple boxes i would have to independently manage 3 different playlists, recording lists and sets of recordings each tied to an individual TV which is crazy. What i want to be able to do is tell Box A to record a program and then decide to watch it on Box B - at its most simplest i think that would satisfy most people.

Above and beyond that the ability to manage a "cluster" of boxes together in terms of recordings, catch-up and playlists would be great - that or a client/server structure.

Come on YouView... please realise the dream!!
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM

I have the Humax T-1010 box which is brilliant to use, far better than the built-in Freeview HD functionality and guide in any TV i've used, and i'd get another 2 YouView boxes in a heartbeat - if they had DLNA.

Currently with multiple boxes i would have to independently manage 3 different playlists, recording lists and sets of recordings each tied to an individual TV which is crazy. What i want to be able to do is tell Box A to record a program and then decide to watch it on Box B - at its most simplest i think that would satisfy most people.

Above and beyond that the ability to manage a "cluster" of boxes together in terms of recordings, catch-up and playlists would be great - that or a client/server structure.

Hi Andy

Theres lots of info you may find interesting on this thread -

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/usb-wifi-dongle-support
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 25 March 2015, 6:13PM

That has absolutely no relevance whatsoever, but thank you :)
  • david2david2 Member Posts: 16
    edited 25 March 2015, 7:41PM

I also can't believe Youview haven't created this yet, a primary box (which has a hard drive) then secondary boxes without hard drives but which all share the recordings. This would be so simple for the user and would encourage users to buy multiple boxes (surely good commercially!).

But I've pretty much given up on this happening before another provider implements it first.
    edited 25 March 2015, 7:44PM

Indeed i completely agree David. I've also spent some of the day looking at a custom-built media box with Freeview-HD tuner cards and Plex to do what i want... if YouView won't build it for me i guess i'll have to do it myself!
    edited 25 March 2015, 8:23PM

Sounds like an interesting project Andy (I'm really hoping a Plex app is available on Youview one day), do post some details if you are successful. You never know youview might be prepared to copy once someone has done it first (that seems to be the development approach post launch)
    edited 25 March 2015, 8:26PM

On reflection that was probably a bit of a grumpy post from me to Youview, I just get frustrated at the missed potential. Hopefully you are successful though Andy
  • Matthew CunliffeMatthew Cunliffe Member Posts: 2
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I just ordered a Youview box, which has just arrived. Incredibly confused and surprised that it doesn't even include a DLNA client.

Nowadays I would expect a lot of people to be storing their films/music/photos on a DLNA server, so why isn't this simple functionality available through Youview?

It looks like I will be sending the box back and buying a standard PVR. I have far more need to play stuff from my server than I do to have integrated online content.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

I just ordered a Youview box, which has just arrived. Incredibly confused and surprised that it doesn't even include a DLNA client.

Nowadays I would expect a lot of people to be storing their films/music/photos on a DLNA server, so why isn't this simple functionality available through Youview?

It looks like I will be sending the box back and buying a standard PVR. I have far more need to play stuff from my server than I do to have integrated online content.

If you saw an advert which said it had DLNA, then you have a right to feel aggrieved.

But YouView content is ferociously curated, so there is no scope for bring-your-own at all, and quite enough trouble with stuff that is supposed to work, without including DownLoads Nothing Atall.

But why stop at DLNA? No wifi, no casting, no backup, no input or output outside the limited range that YouView allows - no sign of the 'one box to rule them all' we were promised :-(

But do let us know which standard PVR you buy that does what you want. YouView has decimated the PVR market, and the remaining pickings are slim :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM

Since not having Virgin Media or Sky TV for some number of years, do either of they offer DNLA via a TiVo or Sky HD box?
  • Matthew CunliffeMatthew Cunliffe Member Posts: 2
    edited 1 May 2015, 11:52AM

Well, I had a Humax HDR Fox-T2 which has just started to act up, so went for a Humax DTR-2000. I'd assumed it would have a DLNA client as all the other PVRs do, and websites aren't often that clear over what is included.

I'll be getting another Humax, probably an HDR-2000T because I like the interfaces and I know they work pretty well.

As for integration with online facilities which apparently is the main selling point of YouView - I don't really care! I have stuff from a year ago I still haven't watched, so a 7 day playback isn't really important to me.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM

"All the others?" Name some. The only ones I can find are Blu-ray player combis.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM

This machine is described as "DLNA Compliant":

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/hdd/dmr-hwt230eb.html

Browsing the manual it looks like it is only possible to play TV programmes from NAS that were recorded on that machine. In other words NAS can only be used as extra storage space in addition to the internal HDD. Presumably recordings stored on NAS will be unplayable after the machine fails

Matthew Cunliffe>
    I'd assumed it would have a DLNA client as all the other PVRs do.
    Deadly. Caveat emptor.

As with redchiz, could you name 'all the others'? As as technology progresses all boxes are becoming more and more locked down. I mean fillipin eck one can't even get a box with RF out now.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM

I can't name any.

The Panasonic DMR-HWD230 can act as a DLNA client or server. It is just that when acting in that way only recordings made on that machine can be played. As I understand it the recordings cannot be played using any other device. Except when the other device is the client and the Panny that made the recordings is the server. Or vice versa. The Panny will not play recordings made on any machine other than those made on itself.

Fillipin eck? I think my spell checker needs work. Or I do.