Add DLNA functionality

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi Creon, whilst Humax make the hardware for both boxes the YouView software is completely independent and designed to run across a number of different hardware manufacturers boxes. As such YouView cannot just obtain/buy the humax software and then build from there so have not simply disabled functions etc, it is more the case they have yet to add them (or decided not to do so) in their own YouView software.

The first feature software update is due towards the end of the month and things can only get better then and every 3 months or so after that as more updates are produced. Quite when and if they will introduce DLNA only YouView can say of course.

If you want to see a fairly comprehensive list of improvements and features people have currently requested for the YouView system see this other topic.
  • Dave71Dave71 Member Posts: 95
    edited 4 October 2012, 11:14AM
    creon said:

looking at the humax fox t2 in the shops i thought that it was the youview box until closer inspection. i find that its a shame that the features from this box seem to disabled on the dtr1000, also comes as a 1tb and the option of freesat. but then again this is humax' own product.

So did the staff in Comet... I reserved and paid for a DTR-T1000, and they gave me a Humax Fox-T2 by mistake. I only realised when I got home, I was wondering why the box had freeview labels and no mention of youview.

I think it's a bit unclear what a youview box should or will do; e.g. they apparently should support USB drives/media, but currently do not.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 4 October 2012, 11:17AM
    creon said:

looking at the humax fox t2 in the shops i thought that it was the youview box until closer inspection. i find that its a shame that the features from this box seem to disabled on the dtr1000, also comes as a 1tb and the option of freesat. but then again this is humax' own product.

Did you take it back to swap it for what many consider to be the inferior Youview box? ;)
  • creoncreon Member Posts: 8
    edited 1 November 2014, 2:36PM
    creon said:

LOL
  • Dave71Dave71 Member Posts: 95
    edited 4 October 2012, 11:53AM
    creon said:

Yep, I never used the Fox-T2, and just swapped them. Besides, my till receipt was for a DTR-T1000, so it would've been tricky if I'd ever needed to take back the Fox-T2!
  • Ryan1Ryan1 Member Posts: 29
    edited 9 October 2012, 12:20AM
    Yes this is a must. I could then access my NAS directly through the YouView box instead of using my sons xBox! AND they could also produce Phone/Tablet Apps to ‘Play To’ the YouView Box!
  • Matthew BaileyMatthew Bailey Member Posts: 105
    edited 28 October 2012, 9:28PM
    One of the best DLNA applications available for your computer.

http://www.serviio.org/

I currently use this with a Sony TV which has DLNA build it and also with a Sony Blueray player again which has DLNA support.

Can be used to steam music/video/photos from your home pc, but also with some new addins can be used to steam other online content.
  • Matthew BaileyMatthew Bailey Member Posts: 105
    edited 28 October 2012, 9:38PM
    Just to be clear, having read this thread again it sounds as if the request is for 2 things:

1) DLNA Client (to access content on home PC's)
    2) DLNA server (to make the recorded programs available to other devices on the home network.)

I think it's good to separate them, so we are not disappointed if Youview only deliver one part of the solution and not both parts.
    Hi Matthew - that is correct, to fully address this feature/idea topic YouView would need to add both DLNA server and client functionality.

Generally YouView will break down such a request into its component parts and decide on the merits of each bit, put them into their (confidential) development roadmap and implement where appropriate, updating the topic etc as relevant as parts of the functionality become available.

A similar example might be channel list management which could be broken down into say 3 elements (hiding channels, reordering channels, favourites lists). Experience from the trials process tended to indicate wrapping such closely related features into a single topic worked better keeping the discussion together, as with separate threads for each element posts tended to stray from the specific topic feature and discuss all elements making it difficult to review all the relevant info in one place as it was now somewhat unintentionally spread arbitrarily across several topics. In the case of channel list management YouView have stated on that topic that they will implement channel hiding first.

As you say though just because such elements are rapped up into one topic YouView may not implement all parts at once and may not implement some parts ever.

As and when parts of such feature requests do get implemented I would expect to see the relevant topic updated to note that fact and also capture that information in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests topic.
  • James ThainJames Thain Member Posts: 3
    edited 29 October 2012, 9:39AM
    MattMan said:

DO not get me wrong I would love to have DLNA from the youview box but as I have an Xbox, and a Raspberry PI that can stream to my TV what I would really like is the bugs / issuse fix mainly where I can not have the HDMI cable pluged and watch the youview in a differnet room taking the soure from the audio / video plugs as when I do there is no EPG on screen and I have to take out the HDMI cable, this to me is the number one FIX that i'm waiting for.

im have the same problem, my second TV is not hdmi so i have to pull the hdmi cable out and restart the box to reset the decode standard and size

is there a thread for this?
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:29PM
    MattMan said:

DO not get me wrong I would love to have DLNA from the youview box but as I have an Xbox, and a Raspberry PI that can stream to my TV what I would really like is the bugs / issuse fix mainly where I can not have the HDMI cable pluged and watch the youview in a differnet room taking the soure from the audio / video plugs as when I do there is no EPG on screen and I have to take out the HDMI cable, this to me is the number one FIX that i'm waiting for.

Hi James - there is a few topic on this such as the one on HDMI and SCART simultaneous connection problems. Also see the consolidated list of bugs and faults where this is issue 9. If you are lucky a fix for this might be in the update expected tomorrow (30/10/2012).
  • Matthew WhiteMatthew White Member Posts: 17
    edited 2 November 2012, 1:58PM
    personally id prefer some sort of direct network access and library function along the lines of what XBMC do but that would also involve some expansion to the file formats the box will play and possible complaints from media creators.

I have a youview box but the pulse-eight purchase of tvonics may bring my one box nivana dream closer in a year or two http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/22...
  • BazildogBazildog Member Posts: 9
    edited 3 November 2012, 9:27AM
    Want DLNA please YouView.
    Turns out my 533 router from TalkTalk has DLNA. Great for plugging in a USB hard drive and having access to it from most of my devices and over the net.
  • The MeekThe Meek Member Posts: 251
    edited 6 November 2012, 2:43PM

personally id prefer some sort of direct network access and library function along the lines of what XBMC do but that would also involve some expansion to the file formats the box will play and possible complaints from media creators.

I have a youview box but the pulse-eight purchase of tvonics may bring my one box nivana dream closer in a year or two http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/22...

err... why are you bothering with YV if you are aware of XMBC, just go Mint 13.
  • Matthew WhiteMatthew White Member Posts: 17
    edited 6 November 2012, 3:28PM

i run openelec much faster booting.

YV gives me a good solution (read family friendly interface) for freeview viewing / recording and one stop access to the on-demand stuff without me having to go through separate addins and t the fun of setting up a back-end server , its something i may move to as and when we get more than one TV in the house but with the kids being so young that's years away and it may be alot slicker by then
  • JonWillJonWill Member Posts: 17
    edited 8 November 2012, 1:36PM
    I think client functionality is most important (and has fewer copyright implications - I would like to use my YouView box to access music/ pictures and video on my system... (and had assumed this functionality would be there at launch!)
    edited 9 November 2012, 10:54AM
    Bazildog said:

Want DLNA please YouView.
    Turns out my 533 router from TalkTalk has DLNA. Great for plugging in a USB hard drive and having access to it from most of my devices and over the net.

I think you shall find it has uPnP which makes DLNA more user friendly as the DLNA host can be automatically detected by the client.
    edited 9 November 2012, 10:58AM
    JonWill said:

I think client functionality is most important (and has fewer copyright implications - I would like to use my YouView box to access music/ pictures and video on my system... (and had assumed this functionality would be there at launch!)

Client is not difficult to support, however Server is more important in the long term as smart TVs tend to include a DLNA client - it would be "nice" thought if they all supported the same video and audio codecs!... as interoperability does not exist at the moment as is my experience with Samsung and Sony.
  • John WarnantsJohn Warnants Member Posts: 5
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Seems to me that this one is one that is either actually very difficult or they aren't actually listening to this input.

If it helps to provide a business justification - I have so far purchased 4 older Humax boxes and 1 Youview and would buy another 2 Youviews if they supports DLNA client AND server (the other two would be for a playroom and a bedroom).
    Hi John - YouView do read all the posts on the forum and they do listen. However, there are lots of improvements they could work on, e.g. see the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests.

The product has only actually been out a few months and they have just made the first features update (with one expected every 3-4 months on average). YouView do have a development roadmap although it is confidential so we do not know if and where this feature sits on that plan. I would expect the next update in the new year is likely to mainly bring more core features that did not make it to the first update (most notably searching the EPG) but that features such as DLNA will be for later updates. It is certainly the case that this is a popular feature request on the forum but I would expect their wider research shows it is not the top priority for the wider user base of which apparently there are 30000+ boxes now.

So it will be great when and if we get this but I would not expect to see it any time soon (but if we do then all the better).
  • Martin ShawMartin Shaw Member Posts: 7
    So everyone should wait patiently. They'll be bust soon if they don't pull their fingers out. I've just bought a Panasonic HDR and it is a revelation. They have left You View for dead. With DLNA It lets you watch recorded or live TV anywhere in the house, wired or wireless and with anything that has a screen. Plus of course on demand over the internet and the entire media contents of any computer you have lying around.

There is no reason why YouView shouldn't do this. A collection of (very gifted) amateurs on the AV forum have done it with the standard Humax recorder, which is much the same as the YouView. And if Panasonic can release a wonder machine without anyone crying foul over copyright surely YouView can.
  • John WarnantsJohn Warnants Member Posts: 5
    edited 18 November 2012, 11:24PM
    Does the Panasonic jump to the on demand programs directly from the guide ? (like the youview) ?
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Hi John

Doubt it, it also doesn't have all the catch-up players or the integrated search of YouView.
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:29PM

So everyone should wait patiently. They'll be bust soon if they don't pull their fingers out. I've just bought a Panasonic HDR and it is a revelation. They have left You View for dead. With DLNA It lets you watch recorded or live TV anywhere in the house, wired or wireless and with anything that has a screen. Plus of course on demand over the internet and the entire media contents of any computer you have lying around.

There is no reason why YouView shouldn't do this. A collection of (very gifted) amateurs on the AV forum have done it with the standard Humax recorder, which is much the same as the YouView. And if Panasonic can release a wonder machine without anyone crying foul over copyright surely YouView can.

As ever it remains up to YouView what they implement when (hopefully informed by feedback on the forum and elsewhere) and as I've said before (and you say above) they cannot expect the market to stand still so if others develop faster than they do then they will lose out. DLNA was one of the most active topics during the trials and it is an obvious feature to add so lets hope it is on the development roadmap for some time next year.
  • iSPYiSPY Member Posts: 166
    edited 19 November 2012, 5:51PM

I got fed up waiting for DLNA and just bought a Panasonic DMR-BWT720 I know it only has BBC iPlayer but I have the rest on my Samsung ES8000 without the OD being swamped by enforced cr*p stuff I dont want ie Now TV, Milkshake etc BUT the upside is Surround by HDMI, ability to Edit recordings, Archive to external drive or burn to disc. Create 4 different Favourite Channel Lists. Lots of Apps which I,m given the CHOICE of installing. Netflix, Youtube, Accuweather etc
    For all this talk of YouView 'falling behind' I suspect most people have never heard of DLNA or think it's what detectives use to link murderers to crime scenes.

While sales are starting to increase, " rel="nofollow">Ofcom figures show that Smart TVs have just 5% of the market and not even all of them are connected to a network.

Pushing content from one device to another is pretty useful but it's not yet a majority activity.

There's plenty of time for YouView to add this without suffering any sales losses.
  • chris purkisschris purkiss Member Posts: 86
    edited 20 November 2012, 10:27AM
    As an "old wrinkly" I agree with Martin. There are so many requests for extra facilities to be made to YouView many of which I suspect have niche appeal as the "average" YouView user wants a PVR that works just like a standard recording PVR with HD capability or a replacement for BT Vision.

How many people have Smart TVs that are not connected to a network simply because Smart TV's are pushed as the thing to have not because the user particularly wants it. The same could apply to 3D TVs where lack of content makes the feature more or less redundant unless you want to pay Sky or Virgins high prices.

Another factor is the fact that most people don't I suspect have their router next to the TV so you have to either use WIFI or long cables and the latter is something many women don't take too kindly to (with all respect to women).

Technology is great but not everyone can or wants to embrace it.
    Hi Chris

Cheers for the words of agreement.

"How many people have Smart TVs that are not connected to a network simply because Smart TV's are pushed as the thing to have not because the user particularly wants it."

About 1/3 of Smart Tv's have never been connected to the internet according to Ofcom

"TV sets with inbuilt internet functionality are growing in popularity, with 5% of TV households owning a smart TV. Smart TVs represent one-fifth (2.9 million sets) of all TVs sold since 2010. Although almost half (47%) of smart TV owners said they had not been concerned whether or not the set was internet connected when making their purchase, over two-thirds (65%) claimed to have subsequently used the internet connection on their smart TV."

Page 11. http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bina...
  • Martin ShawMartin Shaw Member Posts: 7
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    So some people buy smart TVs and don't connect them to the internet. Surely YouView is equally hobbled if not connected to the internet.

It's not much of a business plan charging a premium price and not sending out a premium product on the grounds that people wouldn't be interested in using the extra facilities.

Once you have used properly executed DLNA there is no going back. People may not know what it is now but they won't accept anything without it once they've seen what it can do.
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    Whilst I agree DLNA is great and would like to see it added I think there are plenty of customers who will not have a use for it and others who could see ways to use it but will not. So I can see how YouView may judge that DLNA is not their top priority and thus we may have to wait a while longer before they add it to the box.

That said I very much hope they can add DLNA client functionality in the short term and server functionality some time after that. There are various other products people could buy and whilst they may have some other short comings when compared to a YouView box they equally have other features that are better (either for all or just for some, and those features may be core features such as channel reordering or slightly more advanced features such as DLNA).

I see no showstopper reason why they should not add this feature in due course and various reasons why they should, and it will only be a better product for having it.