Add DLNA functionality

Comments

• drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM

So some people buy smart TVs and don't connect them to the internet. Surely YouView is equally hobbled if not connected to the internet.

It's not much of a business plan charging a premium price and not sending out a premium product on the grounds that people wouldn't be interested in using the extra facilities.

Once you have used properly executed DLNA there is no going back. People may not know what it is now but they won't accept anything without it once they've seen what it can do.

If that is a killer feature that you want, then it sounds like the YouView box is not the product for you.....yet. I have no doubt that DLNA will come, but there are many other mainstream functions that they need to finish/create to make the box a decent PVR, before they can look at these other features that will make YouView a top box.

I bought the YouView box for what it can do, not what it may / will do in the future, because there are no guarantees that these features will come, so it saves disappointment. I am happy with what it can do (once a few bugs are sorted :)) and when new features come out, they are just a bonus.
    Keith1 said:

Whilst I agree DLNA is great and would like to see it added I think there are plenty of customers who will not have a use for it and others who could see ways to use it but will not. So I can see how YouView may judge that DLNA is not their top priority and thus we may have to wait a while longer before they add it to the box.

That said I very much hope they can add DLNA client functionality in the short term and server functionality some time after that. There are various other products people could buy and whilst they may have some other short comings when compared to a YouView box they equally have other features that are better (either for all or just for some, and those features may be core features such as channel reordering or slightly more advanced features such as DLNA).

I see no showstopper reason why they should not add this feature in due course and various reasons why they should, and it will only be a better product for having it.

I watch a LOT of TV and download a LOT of TV programs to watch. I work in IT, so I have the technical background to understand DLNA and its benefits. I would say I am an ideal target for using DLNA, but I never do. My TV has it built in, but I have a great media player that does the job for me. I even have a NAS that I only use as a backup drive instead of streaming the shows, like I planned when I bought it.

Whilst it would be a great feature, I really think the demand is not there for it yet. It's addition will make YouView a more rounded product though.
  • JonWillJonWill Member Posts: 17
    edited 19 November 2012, 4:05PM
    End users never use all functionality available - but many would like to see the functionality available. The fact that the majority of new TVs are "smart" is a case in point. End users may not use all this functionality - however most will see it as desirable (people bought HD TVs in droves before HD content was widely available).

Thus NOT having the DLNA functionality may drive users who would not actually use it to other platforms that have its potential. (But then there are other features that should be higher up the roadmap - like smartphone clients and bug fixes...)
  • Dave71Dave71 Member Posts: 95
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    Not many people may know what "DLNA" is; but I think if you ask people if they'd like to play back recordings on a different TV, PC or tablet in their house, then probably quite a lot would think it's a quite good idea. I think it's one of those things that people would use if they actually knew about it, and it was easy to set up.

Also, if there's an assumption that not many people would use DLNA, then why is this idea is the third most popular in these forums?
    Dave71 said:

Not many people may know what "DLNA" is; but I think if you ask people if they'd like to play back recordings on a different TV, PC or tablet in their house, then probably quite a lot would think it's a quite good idea. I think it's one of those things that people would use if they actually knew about it, and it was easy to set up.

Also, if there's an assumption that not many people would use DLNA, then why is this idea is the third most popular in these forums?

98 people is not exactly a flood. I pressed the 'like this idea' button, but I wouldn't use it :)
  • Ryan1Ryan1 Member Posts: 29
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    DLNA is top priority for me. Its been out for years and years now and appears on the cheapest of appliances.

I have my whole DVD/Blue-Ray Collection Backed up to my NAS (Network Attached Storage), my Music, Photos & Home Movies so I am eager to be able to tap into this using DLNA on my YouView instead of having to switch the xBox 360 on every time I want access my Films / Home Vids / Photos and music. It would also be great to be able to archive your favourite recordings to a NAS from the YouView box.... You know like HD Movies!

Come on YouView/TalkTalk you don’t have to much time left before the Mayan Calendar finishes its 13th Baktun on Dec 21st this year!

One last thing: why don’t all you de-rampers concentrate on what you like and want instead of de-ramping what most of the people like and want on this thread. Especially if you really don’t understand DLNA and have never used it. Everybody who sees my TV streaming Movies Photos & Music from a Centrally backed up NAS that’s constantly running very quietly next to a router is so impressed so much so I have been pestered to death by people to install similar systems. The problem is, most salesman of TVs don’t understand the benefits of it hence the lack of consumer knowledge. Its far more complex then just streaming PC content from your PC.

:-)
    edited 19 November 2012, 5:08PM
    Dave71 said:

Yep, whatever the numbers, it's all relative though; this has about twice as many votes as say recording on-demand, USB connectivity, or YouTube support. Considering not everyone would understand what the topic title actually means, it's not doing too badly.

I was just saying wondering why people thought nobody wants DLNA, given that the evidence on this forum at least doesn't back that up.
    Dave71 said:

It's not that people think nobody wants DLNA, it is just that it is still early days for YouView and there are higher priorities.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Whilst I see what Dave71 is saying above about the popularity of DLNA on the forum, as drhowells has noted it is still only about 100 votes. DLNA was also a very popular and lively topic on the trials forum. I would expect that many of those that come to the forum may have a problem or question whereas others are just interested etc but that overall the forum population is not completely representative of the user base as a whole. Based on information elsewhere on the forum etc there are apparently now 30000+ YouView boxes out there so 100 votes is far from conclusive as to the real level of interest/demand.

On other topics there has been the idea notification messages (e.g. new channels, software update features) could be presented when the box starts up but it was also suggests that other announcements could be made too so perhaps that could even include a mention of the forum and inviting customers to come along and vote for what they would most like to see (or advertise a separate survey/voting system to gauge interest which allows people to also rate things relative to each other say on a scale of 1-10 rather than just giving topics a simple vote).

YouView of course will have a variety of other sources of information that will inform their development, e.g. the surveys of the 2000+ trialists which are likely to have a much higher response rate than the 10% of people on the forum who have expressed enough interest in this topic to press +1; feedback from whatever set of test customers/users they have (not sure who they would be but they must surely have some somewhere although perhaps they need more to get feedback on user issue such as removing a confirmation step on deleting without first making it an option or implementing undelete ;-) ); review of the market place and competitors products.

I would expect that review of the market place would show adding DLNA is worth doing to match up in this area to various other products, some of the forum or survey feedback would also show a positive justification for adding DLNA, whereas outright statistics on the number of customers who would expect to use it (even when explained in simple terms and demonstrated to be simple too) would more likely show that it is not the top priority at this stage but as other features are addressed it will rise up the list and make it into development (assuming of course they are not already working on it to some degree).
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 19 November 2012, 6:06PM
    Ryan1 said:

DLNA is top priority for me. Its been out for years and years now and appears on the cheapest of appliances.

I have my whole DVD/Blue-Ray Collection Backed up to my NAS (Network Attached Storage), my Music, Photos & Home Movies so I am eager to be able to tap into this using DLNA on my YouView instead of having to switch the xBox 360 on every time I want access my Films / Home Vids / Photos and music. It would also be great to be able to archive your favourite recordings to a NAS from the YouView box.... You know like HD Movies!

Come on YouView/TalkTalk you don’t have to much time left before the Mayan Calendar finishes its 13th Baktun on Dec 21st this year!

One last thing: why don’t all you de-rampers concentrate on what you like and want instead of de-ramping what most of the people like and want on this thread. Especially if you really don’t understand DLNA and have never used it. Everybody who sees my TV streaming Movies Photos & Music from a Centrally backed up NAS that’s constantly running very quietly next to a router is so impressed so much so I have been pestered to death by people to install similar systems. The problem is, most salesman of TVs don’t understand the benefits of it hence the lack of consumer knowledge. Its far more complex then just streaming PC content from your PC.

De-rampers? Is that a hip-hop thing?
  • edited 24 April 2013, 7:11PM
    Ryan1 said:

>> I have my whole DVD/Blue-Ray Collection Backed up to my NAS (Network Attached Storage), my Music, Photos & Home Movies so I am eager to be able to tap into this using DLNA on my YouView instead of having to switch the xBox 360 on every time I want access my Films / Home Vids / Photos and music

Brilliant ut you must be aware that that's not how everyone else, and certainly not a majority, access their DVD/Blue-Ray Collections. Most people get up off their bums, pick a film from a shelf and pop it into their DVD/Blue-Ray player.

DLNA will come if and when YouView decide it's a) possible within whatever licences need to be gained and b) if the time and cost warrants the effort.

NO-ONE is saying it shouldn't be added but it's hardly a priority for a box which cannot yet even undelete accidentally deleted recordings and clips the ends off of recordings.

>> It would also be great to be able to archive your favourite recordings to a NAS from the YouView box.... You know like HD Movies!

Almost certainly guaranteed NEVER to happen.
  • Martin ShawMartin Shaw Member Posts: 7
    edited 19 November 2012, 6:51PM

So some people buy smart TVs and don't connect them to the internet. Surely YouView is equally hobbled if not connected to the internet.

It's not much of a business plan charging a premium price and not sending out a premium product on the grounds that people wouldn't be interested in using the extra facilities.

Once you have used properly executed DLNA there is no going back. People may not know what it is now but they won't accept anything without it once they've seen what it can do.

Personally, I don't really care. I have sorted out what I want and my trial version of YouView lies unused. I would like to see it succeed but I feel like I'm shouting at someone to get out of the way of an oncoming bus and all they do is stand in the middle of the road and argue. The way things are going, the project will be abandoned within a year.

Sorry, but that is just rubbish. Like I said above, it sounds like YouView is not the box for you, but don't judge everyone by what you want. I love the box, it does what I want and YouView will long continue and likely set the standard for all PVRs in a year or 2.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 7:10PM

Agree drhowells

People seem increasingly incapable of checking if a product does what they want before parting with cash and if not picking something else, equally of understanding how they use things isn't going to be how everyone uses them and may well not be how the majority do.
    edited 19 November 2012, 7:17PM

There is no need to be offensive. Stick to facts and reason or you lose the argument.

"The way things are going, the project will be abandoned within a year. " Where on earth are the facts and reason in that statement?
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    Ryan1 said:

I would be very surprised if the Youview box will ever stream HD audio and run a movie jukebox (I use YAMJ) or an audio music player, but if it could I'll have one less black box under my TV.
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 19 November 2012, 7:44PM
    Ryan1 said:

I don't think I would actually want it to. I have been using XBMC for more years than I can remember. The only think maybe I'd like the YV box to do is allow it's recordings to be streamed from it. All my TVs do DLNA, never use it
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:29PM

Although there are various facts on this topic, such as those given by Martin above, or attempts to review or consider facts and draw some conclusions, such as those given by me below, overall I do not see that we as customers have anywhere near enough data/facts to draw solid conclusions.

What we can and have done is express opinions with varying degrees of justification and agreement. No doubt some of the facts will change over time and some of the opinions will prove to be a better prediction of how things evolve, either just because they are borne out or because the facts move towards a particular position even if not wholly supporting it at this time.

At this point in time though without more data or more time for predictions to be tested over time all we can really do is look to the future. For some that may mean very much enjoying what we already have in the YouView box, for others it will be enjoying it but wanting more and hoping to get it (with some wanting/expecting it sooner than others), while for others it will be deciding it is not the product for them at this time and using something else (ideally not having first purchased one not realising it does not meet their current needs).
  • edited 24 April 2013, 7:10PM

Agree with all you say Keith, just to coldheartedly add:

>> ideally not having first purchased one not realising it does not meet their current needs

which is why people need to take the time to check what they're buying before parting with cash.
  • John WarnantsJohn Warnants Member Posts: 5
    edited 25 November 2013, 8:24PM
    Here's my very simple explanation of why I want DLNA without use of the acronym.....

My family could record what they really want to watch on whatever box they happen to be using at the time and we could then watch it in whatever location we want to watch it from.

Put like that I suspect there are quite a few families with more than one TV who would like to do that and perhaps if DLNA wasn't called DLNA we would be getting more interest in it.
  • stuart52golfstuart52golf Member Posts: 205
    edited 19 November 2012, 9:44PM

Here's my very simple explanation of why I want DLNA without use of the acronym.....

My family could record what they really want to watch on whatever box they happen to be using at the time and we could then watch it in whatever location we want to watch it from.

Put like that I suspect there are quite a few families with more than one TV who would like to do that and perhaps if DLNA wasn't called DLNA we would be getting more interest in it.

John, rarely comment on here, as my interest has waned somewhat on YouView, but what you say is so true. Summed up perfectly.
    What my family want and what we have is, exactly that. Oh, and we can archive off to a USB and watch anywhere we like.
    But, there are some stalwarts on here that will keep digging their heels in that this box is the b all and end all of kit, and its not.

stuart52golf

>> But, there are some stalwarts on here that will keep digging their heels in that this box is the b all and end all of kit, and its not.

I don't think anyone has said that in this thread. What's been said is that this feature isn't the 'must have now' option that some suggest. That's not the same as saying it should never be added.
  • stuart52golfstuart52golf Member Posts: 205
    edited 19 November 2012, 10:30PM

And Martin, how did I know you would be the first to respond?
    Forget this thread, what about all the other threads, the box is what it is, a dumbed down piece of kit, that untill broadcast and copyright issues are resolved is a PVR with limited access to catch up to all the main broadcasters.
    If it was full catch up, why would you need a PVR?
    I think someone way back months ago suggested, all the box had to be was a catch up piece of kit, no recording facility. I think if I was using this box as my main box, you would have to record everything you could possibly think of, if you were relying on this to go to catch up you would be sorely disappointed. In the beginning, I spent too much time going back in the EPG, to discover what I wanted to watch was not available but was on the web sites of the main broadcasters, also accessing the players on YV, same thing, many programs not available. There are just too many programs I would watch via catch up that are not available via YouView platform.
    So as I said earlier, sort the copyright issues,( which you cant) it may be a viable option, but untill that happens its not full catch up tv.
    Which is what it is advertised as.
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    This forum seems to have developed into a dialogue of the deaf.

That we contribute to it means that we want YouView to succeed.

Unfortunately it won't unless it offers an advantage over other products and at the moment it seems to be lagging behind.

It's expensive, clunky and its guide has fewer on demand programmes than going direct to the on demand providers' interfaces. The competition also offers on demand services and crucially, the ability to network output to different TVs.

Almost everyone has a wifi home network these days and a new product like YouView should be in the vanguard of providing networked entertainment. Instead it seems not even to be trying to catch up. I wish it would.
    edited 19 November 2012, 10:44PM

Panasonic and Humax network their output these days. If there was a copyright problem they wouldn't do it.

stuart52golf

>> And Martin, how did I know you would be the first to respond?

Pot luck, I just happened to be on the forum when you posted, I turned off email alerts some time ago.

>> the box is what it is, a dumbed down piece of kit, that untill broadcast and copyright issues are resolved is a PVR with limited access to catch up to all the main broadcasters.

Yes, YouView is a simple to use, easy to understand PVR with catch-up and some - at the moment - limited on demand pay TV content. That's exactly what it's sold as.

>> I think someone way back months ago suggested, all the box had to be was a catch up piece of kit, no recording facility.

Which would be fine if you only watched the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 shows.

>> If it was full catch up, why would you need a PVR?

Indeed, and when the other channels launch catch-up players I can see the need for the PVR function coming to an end.

But it's not up to YouView to add the extra content or content from the channels without catch-up players, that's a role for the broadcasters themselves.

Really not sure where the issue is.

This forum seems to have developed into a dialogue of the deaf.

That we contribute to it means that we want YouView to succeed.

Unfortunately it won't unless it offers an advantage over other products and at the moment it seems to be lagging behind.

It's expensive, clunky and its guide has fewer on demand programmes than going direct to the on demand providers' interfaces. The competition also offers on demand services and crucially, the ability to network output to different TVs.

Almost everyone has a wifi home network these days and a new product like YouView should be in the vanguard of providing networked entertainment. Instead it seems not even to be trying to catch up. I wish it would.

>> The competition also offers on demand services and crucially, the ability to network output to different TVs.

Virgin Media has only just added streaming to its TiVo and is heavily constrained on the channels it can use this feature with, Sky can't yet do it at all.

The market's not as advanced as some people claim.
  • northernnorthern Member Posts: 241
    edited 22 February 2017, 5:07PM
    Totally agree with Martin DNLA is not the magical thing that is going to make this box a success .. its the simplicity of use and the uniqueness of its on demand /catch up service that will make it the big player it will surely become without doubt.

These are the core aims which have been stated before and it will attract their target buyers ie people with freeview who have never had a PVR.

Obviously there are things missing that a majority of the regular contributors on this forum want but obviously the company has looked at the triallist questionaires etc and feedback on here and then have to decide what to do for the future development.

The "majority of regular contributors" on here obviously dont speak on behalf of all the owners ( theres only 1000 forum members and very few regurarily contribute) and we will never know what the majority of replies from triallists stated in respect of subjects like this but as stated the company read all these replies and will progress the product in the way they see fit

Personally I think are far more important things than DNLA ( thats not to say I am against it and I hope it eventually arrives for those who want it ) but I would prefer to see further apps / demand players being added very shortly to keep the momentum going.

I personally think it is a great product which is progressing nicely
    edited 20 November 2012, 9:04AM
    Seems quite lively this topic.

A lot of the argument seems to boil down to whether individuals would personally use DLNA, and therefore whether they think it should be a high or low priority.

But, I'm still bemused why people say DLNA should be a low priority, considering it's clearly one of the most popular ideas here.

If there are lots of other more important features, then why don't they have more votes than this idea?

I understand that you can't necessarily extrapolate the votes on this forum to represent the entire YouView user base; but then I'm also not aware that anyone here has access to any better information about what YouView customers do or do not want.

By the same measure, do people also think 'extending search to cover the guide' is low priority too? After all, it has a similar number of votes.

But compared to other top-rated ideas, this is the only one that has not yet been marked 'under consideration' or 'planned'; so if that is anything to go by, then I'm not expecting to see this feature soon (or ever).