Add DLNA functionality

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    So we are all agreed then, yes? There are lots of things that need fixing. But we want to add loads more things that might go wrong. :-))
  • MikeBMikeB Member Posts: 5
    Panasonic managed to produce a unit (DMR-BWT720) that has an enormous range of functionality without introducing any bugs! So it is possible to add features without introducing more things to go wrong!
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    MikeB said:

Panasonic managed to produce a unit (DMR-BWT720) that has an enormous range of functionality without introducing any bugs! So it is possible to add features without introducing more things to go wrong!

No bugs? Wow, excellent, I hope you enjoy using it. Seems pointless me buying one though as I have a YouView box. Very pricey as well. Seems pointless you having YouView if you have that one?
  • MikeBMikeB Member Posts: 5
    edited 6 January 2013, 5:16PM
    MikeB said:

If YouView had DLNA then I would use the YouView box in another room. The Panasonic is hardly an expensive unit as it is only £80 more than the 1TB YouView box but includes a Blu-Ray Player/Recorder. A quick look at the forums for this unit will show there are no real issues with this device! I get the feeling YouView owners can only dream of this for their units ;-)
  • DuvetManDuvetMan Member Posts: 75
    edited 2 August 2014, 4:52PM
    please add this functionality
  • Andy5Andy5 Member Posts: 2
    edited 31 March 2013, 1:11PM
    This is the logical next step for YouView. The majority of households have more than one TV, and all we want is to watch our recordings on other TVs within our own house. It has been so nicely implemented in other Freeview PVR (e.g. Humax HDRFOX T2) so I don't see why it can't be done in YouView - come on guys, don't let us down!
  • The MeekThe Meek Member Posts: 251
    edited 20 January 2013, 5:31PM
    Please make sure that the DLNA service is running when the machine is in "Eco power: LOW", as is the case with the Remote Record service.

This is so the user does not have to make sure the YV machine is turned on to view media via DLNA.
  • John WebbJohn Webb Member Posts: 83
    edited 31 March 2013, 1:11PM
    Circumstances have resulted in my having two Youview boxes and a FetchTV box. The latter hs DLNA and it would be nice to watch anything recorded on any of the boxes on the others.
  • Matthieu BrucherMatthieu Brucher Member Posts: 2
    edited 12 March 2013, 6:11PM
    In general, being a DLNA client is something absolutely mandatory. Even more, being able to access YV by the network and put videos/music/photos on it and then play them.
    In France, this is something more or less all boxes provide for several years now. I miss my FreeBox Revolution :/
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited 14 April 2017, 6:24PM
    Has anybody from Youview ever made any comment indicating whether DLNA client and or server capabilities will ever be added to the Youview box/software/system?

Apologies if i've missed something obvious, but I've not been following this or other DLNA threads closely over the past few months.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    petkol said:

Has anybody from Youview ever made any comment indicating whether DLNA client and or server capabilities will ever be added to the Youview box/software/system?

Apologies if i've missed something obvious, but I've not been following this or other DLNA threads closely over the past few months.

No they haven't.
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited 17 December 2015, 2:32PM
    petkol said:

Thanks.
  • mel2mel2 Member Posts: 6
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I have a BT Vision Box and a sky+ box which allow me to watch content around the house via RF output on older TVs, I also have a Panasonic box with an external RF Modulator connected to composite output which provides the same plus DLNA which also allows me to watch HD content via smart TVs too.

I have been given a Youview box which does neither. The previous owner could not put up with the noise while switched on or the slow booting in standby, they replaced it with a Panasonic box.

Both the ability to see menus on composite while HDMI is connected to the Youview box and the lack of DLNA mean I am limited to watching on the main TV only. Neither feature appears to be scheduled for upgrades.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,529 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    mel2 said:

I have a BT Vision Box and a sky+ box which allow me to watch content around the house via RF output on older TVs, I also have a Panasonic box with an external RF Modulator connected to composite output which provides the same plus DLNA which also allows me to watch HD content via smart TVs too.

I have been given a Youview box which does neither. The previous owner could not put up with the noise while switched on or the slow booting in standby, they replaced it with a Panasonic box.

Both the ability to see menus on composite while HDMI is connected to the Youview box and the lack of DLNA mean I am limited to watching on the main TV only. Neither feature appears to be scheduled for upgrades.

Neither?

Pull this page up, and search for 'Piers'

http://community.youview.com/youview/...
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • mel2mel2 Member Posts: 6
    edited 15 March 2013, 12:41AM
    mel2 said:

They are looking at the scart/HDMI issue but it is not yet scheduled for an upgrade.
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 15 March 2013, 10:07AM
    petkol said:

At one point I got the opportunity to speak to some people higher up at Youview, quite a few months ago (i'm not an employee). Somebody did mention DLNA as on their roadmap.
  • Youviewer1Youviewer1 Member Posts: 1
    edited 4 April 2013, 12:39PM
    I just want to play music from my network storage NAS on the TV via the YOUVIEW box. Please add this APP.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 30 March 2013, 10:02PM

I just want to play music from my network storage NAS on the TV via the YOUVIEW box. Please add this APP.

Huh! Why would you want to do that?
  • JonWillJonWill Member Posts: 17
    edited 30 March 2013, 10:06PM

Isn't it obvious delay client functionality? Much more useful to the majority than delay server functionality (especially for home video/ photo content). I'm itching for this too...
    edited 30 March 2013, 10:07PM

(delay = dnla)
    DLNA was invented (cobbled together would probably be a better way of describing it) by SONY. Dig deep and do a bit of research and you may find that it is not at all the wondrous open connectivity system that you may imagine.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 30 March 2013, 10:22PM

Nope. Still no clearer why you would want to play music from your network NAS going through the Youview box?
    edited 30 March 2013, 11:12PM

Perhaps Youviewer has a decent home cinema audio set up and no network music streamer?
  • Flaggy FlagPantsFlaggy FlagPants Member Posts: 64
    edited 3 April 2013, 5:16PM
    redchiz said:

DLNA was invented (cobbled together would probably be a better way of describing it) by SONY. Dig deep and do a bit of research and you may find that it is not at all the wondrous open connectivity system that you may imagine.

Yay, someone else who's also spent a lot of time scratching beyond the surface too.

DLNA is just a supposedly more formalised version of uPnP. But, like you say, some things are more formally standardised than other things are.

Still beats AirPlay though. lol
  • Flaggy FlagPantsFlaggy FlagPants Member Posts: 64
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:34AM
    Anything allowing you to pull recorded programmes off YouView, either by DLNA/uPnP or by USB, are in serious risk of never actually happening.

Have you seen the price of BBC box-sets? That gives an indication as to why it won't happen.

BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 are all close partners in YouView. Opening up the USB to copy programmes, or allowing them to be served over a network (and therefore copied too) are not realistically going to be sanctioned by BBC. If you've ever tried to copy iPlayer content, and know what lengths they go to to stop this on all platforms, then you might have some appreciation of what I'm saying.

They aren't just going to hand this to people on a plate. The other manufacturers have none of the same restrictions regarding this.

Playing media off USB, and a DLNA client to play your other networked media are probably the best you can hope for in this area.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 3 April 2013, 7:43PM
    redchiz said:

AirPlay works fine for me. Do you have problems with it?
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 3 April 2013, 7:47PM

Anything allowing you to pull recorded programmes off YouView, either by DLNA/uPnP or by USB, are in serious risk of never actually happening.

Have you seen the price of BBC box-sets? That gives an indication as to why it won't happen.

BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 are all close partners in YouView. Opening up the USB to copy programmes, or allowing them to be served over a network (and therefore copied too) are not realistically going to be sanctioned by BBC. If you've ever tried to copy iPlayer content, and know what lengths they go to to stop this on all platforms, then you might have some appreciation of what I'm saying.

They aren't just going to hand this to people on a plate. The other manufacturers have none of the same restrictions regarding this.

Playing media off USB, and a DLNA client to play your other networked media are probably the best you can hope for in this area.

The Humax Fox T2 allows copying of programmes to USB and streaming to other devices via DLNA so I'm not sure why you think this is such an issue. However, it only works for SD material as HD recordings have to be played back on the device on which they were recorded. Since about 90% of my recordings are in HD, this is why personally, DNLA is not something I'm particularly bothered about.
  • The MeekThe Meek Member Posts: 251
    edited 3 April 2013, 8:14PM

It's easy to copy YV recordings and several ways to save iPlayer content without DRM - simples!
    edited 4 April 2013, 1:20AM

Seconded. With that in place anyone keep their full music collection on something like Itunes on a laptop upstairs & control it from their living room. My father uses his DLNA server on his Sony DVD player like this as his main music output now through his TV & nice Surround amp. I don't use my equivalent much, but many would :)
    edited 4 April 2013, 1:25AM
    redchiz said:

I know DLNA can often be limited, especially in what clients can play, (and also major limitations of windows shares etc too.) But with a PC DLNA server like Tversity or Plex which transcodes the files to whatever the client can handle, it can be really useful. E.G my PS3 can play a very limited range of movie files, but with with either of those servers running on my PC where I host the files it can play virtually anything I throw at it :)