Filters for on demand listings

KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Feedback
*** Summarised idea from trials process ***

As YouView becomes ever more successful at engaging additional on demand providers the listings are growing very long. Whilst you can search the on demand content some people will often also wish to browse through it. With so much content now listed browsing can be very difficult.

Furthermore only some of the on demand content is free and thus certain content is not available to all users.

As such it would be extremely helpful to introduce additional filters that can be selected to reduce the items listed as appropriate. Given that individuals may pay for some none free providers and not others such a filtering system needs to be fairly selective and configurable, e.g. within the options there could be an on demand default filter list that would list various different types of on demand content and the user would select which ones should be filtered out, e.g. which specific paid providers, or adult or children specific content etc. A user could then have an option in the on demand listing pages to turn off the filters to see more content if desired (e.g. to see what they could get if they paid for a particular service).

Comments

• tracestraces Member Posts: 199
    edited 24 November 2016, 8:25PM
    Will never use pay for content so +1 for filtering it out.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Note as well as this general topic on 'filters for on demand content listing and managing those filters' there is a more specific topic on turning on/off paid content, i.e. a pay/free on demand content filter.
  • jimMjimM Member Posts: 22
    edited 5 July 2013, 8:28PM
    In the future, will we be able to toggle on/off content from paid for providers such as Sky?

When browsing content in sections such as "films", it gets so cluttered with paid content, its very hard to find free to air content without knowing in advance what you are looking for. I feel that this goes against on the of the strengths of youview, in that you can discover content you may want to watch.

I suspect that a lot of people will be like me and want to move away the likes of Virgin Media and Sky to free content.

it would be nice to be able to hide "paid for" content in the same way you can hide adult content.

As youview gets more providers on board, this may become more of an issue and start being a frustrating experience browsing content.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    turn on/off paid content.
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 5 July 2013, 8:28PM
    I agree jimM, the films section has become effectively useless to me now that nowTV has been added. (especially given the first film I signed up for and purchased on NowTV, didn't work.. just said it was ready on another device... (oh you mean the pc you MADE me sign up on?!). Haven't touched NOWTV since!
  • Dave71Dave71 Member Posts: 95
    edited 5 July 2013, 8:29PM
    I'd really like to see this, you get so many search results from NowTV that it really impacts the usefulness of the search in the first place.

As the number of "paid for" providers increases, this will only get worse; the search desperately needs a way to filter out things you aren't subscribed to.
  • John NimrodJohn Nimrod Member Posts: 4
    I have the same view precisely as if a large range of paid content it will make it very tedious ploughing through it. Maybe an arrangement which will suit both providers and users is to have tabs split into ALL, PAID, and then also category searches BUT I and I suspect many users would like to block on demand that they will never use (In my case sport but everone is different) or disapprove of for whatever reason.
    If you agree then +1 Keiths post as I think it best summarises the overall requirement.
    I think if this is not implemented it will have quite a strong negative impact on users and their view of paid providers and youview tending to make them wish to reject both.
  • JoolsJools Member Posts: 16
    edited 27 August 2017, 7:20AM
    Just got my YouView box.

Went to look at the list of films, to find the lists massively filled with NowTV films, and the occasional film from BBC / ITV.

As I will never pay for paid for content, this is a massive disappointment.

Urgently need to be able to "Turn Off" a player. Another simple solution, leave the player option on the Player screen, but if you haven't signed up to it, then don't add the content to the list!
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 30 December 2012, 1:02AM
    Jools said:

Just got my YouView box.

Went to look at the list of films, to find the lists massively filled with NowTV films, and the occasional film from BBC / ITV.

Urgently need to be able to "Turn Off" a player. Another simple solution, leave the player option on the Player screen, but if you haven't signed up to it, then don't add the content to the list!

Yes I agree, the inclusion of now tv content effectively rendered the 'film' category useless. There is another thread back somewhere on this. Hopefully it might be subject to change in the next update.. They have been very good with taking this kind of stuff on board & changes forthcoming too :-)
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:33PM
    Jools said:

Just got my YouView box.

>> leave the player option on the Player screen, but if you haven't signed up to it, then don't add the content to the list!

And how would people who might be interested in subscribing know what content was inside the players?

It's not possible to access the BT player itself or IIRC, the NOW TV one, before subscribing. This makes e results page the only way to see what content is available should you be willing to pay.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 30 December 2012, 10:53AM
    Jools said:

Just got my YouView box.

This is how I would find out what was on Now TV so see if it might interest me in subscribing:-

http://www.nowtv.com/land
  • Simon M LewisSimon M Lewis Member Posts: 26
    I've just had it installed, and so far it's very clever.
    The search was great: "Mrs B" and up came all Mrs Brown's Boys.

But I agree about the films: I went on there to see what I could watch, and you have to hover over each one to see if it's free, Rent or Subscribe.

It really needs a "see all", "Free Only", "Rent Only", "Subscribe Only".
    and since it is databasedriven, this should be a simple tool to write in.

It needs it really urgently.
  • MusicalMusical Member Posts: 3
    This filtering is so necessary. Sky won't like it because it will impede promotion of Now TV. BT similarly won't want its massive investment in Premier League football hidden away. However, while 'all' might have to be the default option, users must be able to sort by different providers or subscription/viewing methods (e.g. subscribed/pay per view/free/all) or the interface will become unusable and YouView will fail. What is YouView other than the interface? Sky won't care if cluttering up the programme guide ruins the user experience as Sky is a competing platform. I, as an Xbox, Samsung smart TV, Plex and Netflix user, already feel the YouView user experience is lacklustre. Even having been given the box by BT for fifty quid, I'm dubious about the value for money. I'd be really annoyed if I'd spent more than two hundred pounds on it retail. Please, let us choose the content which appears in the on demand sections.
  • DuvetManDuvetMan Member Posts: 75
    edited 2 August 2014, 4:52PM
    I really hate when browsing the on demand content to have to continually skip over pages because its all nowtv content that i dont subscribe to.
  • InspiralInspiral Member Posts: 1
    edited 13 January 2013, 12:50PM
    Never mind filtering as more apps get added I'd like to just remove them completely.
  • Mark IMark I Member Posts: 15
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi. Is there a progress update on this fix?

This is my biggest bugbear with YV at present. The flood of NowTV content makes the movie browse feature unusable.

Like others have said, I bought Youview as a retail Freeview box. If I wanted Sky, I would get a subscription.
  • Flaggy FlagPantsFlaggy FlagPants Member Posts: 64
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    I have to admire some of the optimism/expectancy of some of these things. I can't imagine this type of filtering being of any importance to YouView whatsoever.

Not because they want to inconvenience their customers, but because it's effectively advertising enticing you to things you don't yet have.

People who just want free stuff, which does make up a significant proportion of anything carrying Freeview content naturally, are not really any priority before those that might be tempted by such things.

It's all about revenue opportunities.

Theoretically they could always ask for a £3 a month subscription to allow filtering out of stuff you don't want. But that wouldn't go down well either. But that is the reality. That box under your telly is also another system to sell you stuff on.

These boxes are constantly reporting back with what you're watching and how you use your box. That data, minus your actual details, is used for marketing and advertising purposes.

It's not all a one way street.
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    edited 9 March 2015, 7:43AM
    Add my 1+ for this as well. All we need is a Yellow button toggle against a highlighted Player to add or remove it from the listings and searches.

Mr FlagPants - To be honest, some days it feels that we're all bashing our heads against a large wall using this forum. Youview seems to take their time in working on problems (some have been raised during the initial trial process over 7 months ago - including this one). I've got a sneaky suspicion that you could be onto something though I hope you're not right!
    edited 3 April 2013, 4:55PM
    Mark I said:

This is my biggest bugbear with YV at present. The flood of NowTV content makes the movie browse feature unusable.

Like others have said, I bought Youview as a retail Freeview box. If I wanted Sky, I would get a subscription.

Incidentally, YouView never displays the FreeView logo. Or FreeView HD, HD+ etc., because it's not an official FreeView device. Therefore they are not held to the specifications that FreeView insist upon before you can display the red logo.

It's a box that receives FreeView channels.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:33PM
    Mark I said:

>> It's a box that receives FreeView channels.

There's no such thing as "FreeView channels", Freeview doesn't own or broadcast any channels. Freeview is just a marketing brand for Digital Terrestrial Television operated by DTV Services Ltd and which publishes a spec for EPG data etc.

Anyone can make and market a TV or set top box which receives DTT signals. No permission is needed.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 3 April 2013, 7:48PM

I have to admire some of the optimism/expectancy of some of these things. I can't imagine this type of filtering being of any importance to YouView whatsoever.

Not because they want to inconvenience their customers, but because it's effectively advertising enticing you to things you don't yet have.

People who just want free stuff, which does make up a significant proportion of anything carrying Freeview content naturally, are not really any priority before those that might be tempted by such things.

Theoretically they could always ask for a £3 a month subscription to allow filtering out of stuff you don't want. But that wouldn't go down well either. But that is the reality. That box under your telly is also another system to sell you stuff on.

These boxes are constantly reporting back with what you're watching and how you use your box. That data, minus your actual details, is used for marketing and advertising purposes.

Really? Is that actually documented anywhere?
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 November 2015, 4:18PM

You won't find this documented anywhere because this is just speculation about how YouView might operate, but it's not based on facts. Flaggy, it might be worth mentioning that in your posts in future to avoid any possible confusion :-)
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM

stuart621, if you're referring to "These boxes are constantly reporting back..." then have a look at http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 3 April 2013, 8:02PM

Thanks, Piers. That was what I thought. :)
    Nick - I'm sorry that you feel that we're taking a long time, but it's not as simple as just adding a button - it requires changes to the way that our search and browse system works on the servers too. We do have a lot of feature requests and it does time to get to some, but we're working day & night (often!) to bring out new features for customers and our shareholders. We do listen to all feedback.
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    Thanks for the update Piers! We just get frustrated by the apparent lack of progress with features and problems that have been reported months ago. It might be in everyones best interest for either yourself or someone else at Youview to add an update/status comment on each of them.
    edited 17 November 2015, 4:18PM
    Nick4 said:

Thanks for the update Piers! We just get frustrated by the apparent lack of progress with features and problems that have been reported months ago. It might be in everyones best interest for either yourself or someone else at Youview to add an update/status comment on each of them.

Agree, and we'll try to do better in future. It helps us too to keep these threads in good order!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Mark I said:

@Martin

Yes but that isn't what FFP asserted. What he says seems to me to be borne out by:-

http://www.dtgtesting.com/content/obt...

Unless (as Esther Rantzen would say) you know different?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 4 April 2013, 9:49AM

I'm not claiming that there's a little spy camera in the unit, but any unit like this connected to a broadband connection does that. And has done since Sky insisted that their telly box be hooked up to your phone line.

OK Piers, go on record and state, as a representative of YouView that this doesn't happen. You seemed to have stopped short of that.

It doesn't take a fool to read between the lines on http://www.youview.com/privacy/product/ to realise what the carefully worded "However, please note that most of the information we collect is purely technical in nature" is hiding.

So if "most" of the data is used for technical reference, which I don't challenge that "most" isn't, then please explain what the other part of the "most" equation is used for if not marketing or advertising purposes.

Until you do, I stand by my comment.
    edited 4 April 2013, 9:53AM

"Most" could mean not less than 51%. That still leaves 49% of data that could be used for other things and still fall in line with your T&C's.
    edited 4 April 2013, 11:34AM
    Jools said:

Just got my YouView box.

"As I will never pay for paid for content, this is a massive disappointment.", is why users of your type of profile, won't get their wishes answered.

Things like those movies popping up in those guides, are much like ads that are carried on many web-sites. They might not tempt people like yourself, but they are purposefully there to entice others that might. Just like any advertising.

YouView is sold from both ends. It's sold to the consumer as a convenient one-stop-shop for TV content, at the same time as being sold to content providers as a vehicle for their content. So you are always going to be presented with things you might not want.

You're probably better off with a regular dumb FreeView HD box and a copy of the Radio Times quite frankly.