Recording (Downloading) on-demand/catchup content.

Comments

• Andy2Andy2 Member Posts: 18
    edited 17 January 2013, 3:33PM

I also support this feature, but would like to be able to set up the download to occur overnight. My ISP provides unlimited overnight downloading between midnight and 6am - Its great for me and it's great for them because it spreads out the demand for bandwith in to off-peak times. The ability to download programmes onto the hard disk overnight would win support from ISPs and would also assist TalkTalk and BT to spread the demand on their networks too

Agreed - the ability to schedule the download for a quiet period (or a period not charged for by the ISP) would be brilliant. I'm with Plusnet - 60GB/month allowance during the day but unlimited over-night.
  • John3John3 Member Posts: 6
    edited 18 January 2013, 12:01PM
    Just to add my slice, I have good broadband during off peak but its really getting slow at peak time. I cannot watch earlier episodes of a series on Channel 4 I only heard about after the first had aired, unless I watch it at 8am. I joined the YV trail because I wanted all the players on one box and not have to mix and match between pc, wii and ipad. BBC content should be easy to get to download because iplayer already does that for other platforms, but the other channels do not, but hey this is not rocket science and I expect the issues are more rights management and politics. Please lets have the BBC content downloadable and maybe the other channels will follow suit.
  • Brigitta KisBrigitta Kis Member Posts: 3
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    It's already possible to download catch up and on demand programmes on a sky box, can't understand why it's not available on Youview. I wish I knew this, I would have never changed over from Sky to this rubbish. I'm very disappointed.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    I wish I knew this, I would have never changed over from Sky to this rubbish. I'm very disappointed.
    In fairness, you could have found this out beforehand. Sky to my knowledge are the only ones who provide catch-up services in this way - they are not strictly speaking "on demand" because they can take a while to become available for viewing depending on the speed of your broadband connection - and that is because their box technology does not lend itself to streaming services.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM

It's already possible to download catch up and on demand programmes on a sky box, can't understand why it's not available on Youview. I wish I knew this, I would have never changed over from Sky to this rubbish. I'm very disappointed.

As Redchiz said but also, I can only assume you are having problems viewing the streams, which is likely down to your internet connection and speed. This is hardly Youviews fault. The on demand content works like a dream for me. Can you tell us what specific problems you have and maybe we can help...
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    To be honest I thought the download feature would be there, never thought about researching this beforehand. It shouldn't be a luxury feature.
    I have BT infinity so there are certainly no connection issues, I just find the whole browsing experience slow. I was also surprised to find that there is no iPad app available either, so I cannot even use my iPad to remote record programmes. So far I'm not very impressed at all. I think I'll cancel and send the box back ASAP.
    edited 23 April 2013, 2:46PM

I have BT infinity, so the speed is over 50mb/s so the connection is not an issue.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM

To be honest I thought the download feature would be there, never thought about researching this beforehand. It shouldn't be a luxury feature.
    I have BT infinity so there are certainly no connection issues, I just find the whole browsing experience slow. I was also surprised to find that there is no iPad app available either, so I cannot even use my iPad to remote record programmes. So far I'm not very impressed at all. I think I'll cancel and send the box back ASAP.

There isn't an iPad app as such, but you can use the iPhone app which will work quite happily on the larger devices: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/youvi...
  • Andy2Andy2 Member Posts: 18
    edited 23 April 2013, 3:17PM
    gomez said:

A question I keep meaning to ask: *Why* do people want to be able to record catch-up content?

The important thing for me would be to be able to SCHEDULE the recording to happen overnight when my usage does not count towards my allowance.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

Have you actually done a speed test, Brigitta. May be an idea.
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/de...
    and possibly the BBC streaming one as well -
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 23 April 2013, 4:03PM

I think Brigitte is talking about downloading programmes rather than streaming them which would make the actual line speed not so important.

(I think she means 50Mbps (Mega) rather than 50mbps (milli) which would be *very* slow)
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

I was only mentioning the check, as the actual speed is often significantly lower than expected (as against stated speed). I am on Virgin, which seems to consistently deliver near-rated speeds. However, I am aware that other ISPs often deliver way below what they claim. Not a bad idea to check your speed anyway ..... May also be affected by time of day, slowing significantly during peak periods, which could well affect on demand playback quality.
  • CyberAlyCyberAly Member Posts: 3
    edited 5 May 2013, 9:18PM
    gomez said:

A question I keep meaning to ask: *Why* do people want to be able to record catch-up content?

Primarily because I can never stream things without frequent pauses on my connection. I'd like to download things in advance and guarantee that they'll be watchable, without pauses, all the way through.
    edited 5 May 2013, 9:18PM
    gomez said:

Primarily because I can never stream things without frequent pauses on my connection. I'd like to download things in advance and guarantee that they'll be watchable, without pauses, all the way through.
    edited 5 May 2013, 9:23PM

This would be good for me too. I have slightly less than 3mbps and we aren't on the plans for the roll out of BT's fttc, so there will not be any improvement any time soon.

Generally I find it perfectly usable, despite being under the minimum. BBC iplayer does drop out though at peak times. Oddly though, NowTV never drops out.

I have a 2.5mb connection. ITV Player is the worst for pauses. NowTV is the best. I tried the quality of service settings on my router, but I couldn't get it to prioritise traffic correctly. Usually I can get it working fine if I get everybody to stop doing anything online, but that rarely goes down well.
  • Michael4Michael4 Member Posts: 23
    edited 5 May 2013, 10:01PM
    to be honest I thought that all of the major ondemand/catchup players belonged to firms that are already partners in the YouView Journey so perhaps it wont take too long to get this arranged

Plus this would work in tandem with BlinkBox asa you can buy and download a film or series to own....link this again to using a USB memory stick to permenantly store your recordings and youve got a killer move my YouView padwan
  • D'@veD'@ve Member Posts: 62
    edited 6 May 2013, 1:21AM
    Having downloaded a programme this evening on my Sky box for viewing later this week, I agree that Youview too should offer this facility. It has slotted into the Sky planner like any other recorded programme and because it's there, will ensure that I don't forget to watch it and there's zero delay when I do. And if I have to watch it in segments, it will also remember where I got up to the last time I viewed it so I can go straight to that point when I resume.

Being able to record a catch-up programme to watch later is a very useful facility. If content providers have agreed to let Sky do this, they should agree to let Youview do it too... and Youview should implement it to ensure their competitiveness with Sky's product.

I hope they do it before I sign up when BT Sport launches!
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    I think this will take a back seat now BT and Talk Talk will be wanting IPTV live record. Its a shame that the standard Youview features will be taking a back seat to commercial interests. I guess it has to pay the wages ;-). Unfortunately where I live BT or Talk Talk are not an option.
    stormy said:

I think this will take a back seat now BT and Talk Talk will be wanting IPTV live record. Its a shame that the standard Youview features will be taking a back seat to commercial interests. I guess it has to pay the wages ;-). Unfortunately where I live BT or Talk Talk are not an option.

I personally don't think that downloading on-demand content is a 'standard' feature. The standard is to stream the content. Downloading is an enhancement to that.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    stormy said:

The BBC iPlayer on PCs and iThingies lets you download, and for all I know on Android too. So I'd call that pretty standard BBC iPlayer functionality.

It's only the **** 'specially programmed because YouView is different' BBC iPlayer that does not support this.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Peskdale61Peskdale61 Member Posts: 91
    edited 23 August 2013, 10:05AM
    stormy said:

"It's only the **** 'specially programmed because YouView is different' BBC iPlayer that does not support this."

No... pretty much every TV which has an app for iPlayer doesn't have this feature. It's certainly not a standard amongst IPTVs.

(Also, the main reason iDevices and Androids can download is because they're not always net-connected.)
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    drhowells
    I personally don't think that downloading on-demand content is a 'standard' feature. The standard is to stream the content. Downloading is an enhancement to that.
    I agree, and also I think the only reason downloading was provided on the PC was because at the time iPlayer was released it was ahead of the game and couldn't be streamed successfully by much of its intended audience.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    I don't agree and I am sure people with slow internet connections also don't. Guess I was just spoiled being able to do this on Sky+HD due to them technically not able to stream.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 23 August 2013, 1:32PM
    stormy said:

I don't agree and I am sure people with slow internet connections also don't. Guess I was just spoiled being able to do this on Sky+HD due to them technically not able to stream.

Wikipedia has an interesting account of iplayer history. As always with Wikipedia, subject to verification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_iPlayer
  • D'@veD'@ve Member Posts: 62
    edited 28 August 2013, 8:40AM
    I don't (yet) have Youview but I assume that it has both an EPG and a Planner, like Sky boxes. if so, and as catchup integration into the EPG has been Youview's major selling point, the logical conclusion is catchup integration into the Planner as well.

There two ways to achieve this and either is fine by me (as I have a fast connection):

- allow downloading and insert downloads into the Planner; or

- disallow downloading but insert selected catchup programmes into the Planner (with a memory of the point where you last viewed it).

Without either of the above, Youview falls down on its integration claims and aims and is yet another reason why it's not doing as well as by now it should be. In essence, this is just another example of why it's still not even in beta as far as I'm concerned - it's far from fully developed product.

For goodness sake, this proposal hasn't even got beyond the "Under Consideration" stage yet: it should be well into the development phase by now!
  • The WeathermanThe Weatherman Member Posts: 29
    edited 28 August 2013, 8:54AM
    stormy said:

Reference drhowells' observation that downloading is not a standard feature, the BBC's iplayer help site states:

"Downloading is when you save a programme onto your computer or other compatible device from the website. Windows users can also download programmes and transfer them to certain phones and portable media players – this is known as sideloading.

To download regular and HD programmes to your computer you must first install BBC iPlayer Desktop... Once the programme has saved onto your computer, you have 30 days to watch it, and you can save as many programmes as you like, depending on your computer’s capacity. After you have played it for the first time you have another seven days to finish watching your programme..."

So I'd argue it is certainly a standard feature on the PC and this is all we are asking to be able to do on YouView.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    D'@ve

Nothing on the YouView box called a Planner.

But it has a Schedule, which lists all the programmes/series you plan to record, and a Green Button feature for setting programme reminders for programmes you plan to watch live.

It also has a Recordings section where recorded programmes are stored, and remembers where the last person to watch a part-viewed programme left off.

It would seem to me logical that downloads would go into Recordings.

It's probably best to get some familiarity with how the YouView box actually works now, to see how enhancements might most easily be mapped onto its existing capabilities, rather than extrapolating from a rival system that it works differently from.

You can do this most easily, prior to actually obtaining a YouView box, by downloading a manual and having a look through it:-

http://videos.youview.com/support/use...

This is the Humax Guide, but the TalkTalk one is similarly available, if that is the way you are leaning.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    stormy said:

This is not a PC, it is a PVR. Downloading is not a standard feature on a PVR.
  • The WeathermanThe Weatherman Member Posts: 29
    edited 28 August 2013, 2:13PM
    stormy said:

Yes I am conscious of the difference between a PC and a PVR. My point was that the concept of downloading is standard to the i-player. The BBC statement references both a "computer" and "other compatible device". Given that the YouView box has i-player functionality it should be regarded as a compatible device and have the functionality to download programmes.

In any case the Oxford Dictionary definition for a computer is "an electronic device which is capable of receiving information (data) in a particular form and of performing a sequence of operations in accordance with a predetermined but variable set of procedural instructions (program) to produce a result in the form of information or signal". So a modern PVR can be regarded as a computer, it's just the data it stores and processes is digital video content.
    stormy said:

Downloading on iPlayer is not standard. You cannot download iPlayer content on Smart TVs, Games consoles or Android devices. YouView should not be regarded as a compatible device, because it is obviously not currently compatible!

Of course, by a dictionary definition, a modern PVR could be classified as a computer, but it is not in the real world, when it comes to compatibility of software and processing power / requirements.