The info screen is hanging

Rich MerrittRich Merritt Posts: 5Member
edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM in Archived Posts
Hello everyone

I'm getting a problem where my info window hangs, no information about the program appears, just the whirling circle.

I've noticed that the search function and on demand players don't work when I have this problem.

I'm presuming the problem is with the Internet connection, but a quick look in the settings tells me the Internet connection is active.

The only solution I've found is the "I.T. Crowd" fix, turning the power off and on again. Any ideas what might be causing this, or is anyone else having the same problem?

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,429Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    A few people did report seeing this problem and again the "fix" was to power cycle the box. Since it seemed to be very rare (particularly if in high eco mode where the box is being truly turned off at least once each day in general) it may be difficult for YouView to isolate and debug. Nevertheless to hear at some point it is fixed would be nice (although it has only happened to me once).
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    There is an issue where the info screen stops responding if you press "i" when the mini TV guide is still showing and then press "close" or "watch now". It works fine if you dismiss the info screen with "i" or back. It slipped through our testing as the problem is timing related. Apologies. We've fixed it and added additional tests that will be run through the next few weeks, before we release the next update at the end of October.
  • Jeremy BodenJeremy Boden Posts: 57Member
    edited 20 September 2012, 2:54PM
    This is not truly rare.
    Happened a dozen times to me.

Not to mention the frequent problem when I switch it on.
    I have to use the remote control off, then on to remove severe ghosting and lack of sound. This is a very frequent problem - probably related to make of TV???
  • Charles RaymentCharles Rayment Posts: 7Member
    edited 22 September 2012, 12:48PM
    The info screen stops responding on my box also but when pressing the info button on the full guide, not the mini guide. It's happened 4 times in two days. Is this the same issue?
  • SW1SW1 Posts: 240Member
    edited 27 September 2012, 1:17PM
    Think we have been led to believe that when you hit the (i) button it gets the data to display off the internet, so if your connection is very busy or maxed out by downloading or something, this could be a problem.
  • TechnogranTechnogran Posts: 152Member
    edited 28 September 2012, 6:11AM
    I solved it by swopping my Ethernet cable for another one. Can also access the OnDemand content as well now!
  • RottyRotty Posts: 107Member
    edited 17 January 2017, 7:15PM
    This really is indicative of a poor network connection from your YV box. You don't say how you are connected from the YV box to your router, but try running some network tests from the connection into a PC/laptop. I use something called 'pingplotter' (http://www.pingplotter.com/) which gives some good info about latency and packet loss, but also try running the BBC iPlayer Diagnostics from a pc connected to the YV box connection, and that will give you an indication of how well that connection will stream...

I had similar issues before swapping out the Devolo Powerline adapters for Netgear to match my other Netgear kit, as the Devolo stuff wouldn't co-exist with the Netgear causing packet loss.
  • Derek BradshawDerek Bradshaw Posts: 3Member
    edited 7 October 2012, 7:07PM
    I also get this.. Seems to be random as to when it will sit there and do nothing or will actually burst into life with the information.
  • Rich MerrittRich Merritt Posts: 5Member
    edited 7 October 2012, 10:32PM
    Thanks all for the replies. It hasn't happened for a while now. It can't be my connection, cable, or modem as it was very sporadic and the problem was always solved by the box going into a deep sleep (overnight) or turning the power off altogether. Guess it must be a glitch.
  • Rich MerrittRich Merritt Posts: 5Member
    edited 7 October 2012, 10:33PM

Thanks all for the replies. It hasn't happened for a while now. It can't be my connection, cable, or modem as it was very sporadic and the problem was always solved by the box going into a deep sleep (overnight) or turning the power off altogether. Guess it must be a glitch.

Oops, only just seen the official response above. Thanks YouView
  • marcusd666marcusd666 Posts: 13Member
    edited 11 October 2012, 11:03PM
    Yeah mine has just started to do this glitch twice in the last 2 days ! I have to fully power down give it 30 seconds then back on and all ok.
  • Bob TBob T Posts: 1Member
    edited 26 October 2012, 2:13PM

I am a victim of this bug as well... Peace will resume in our household when this is fixed, because everyone else in the house shouts 'IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE PRESSING THE BUTTONS TOO QUICKLY!!!!!' with a few expletives to boot
  • robert.inksonrobert.inkson Posts: 75Member
    edited 19 July 2013, 1:29PM
    same problem here,please fix ????.