Volume

John5John5 Posts: 38Member
edited 14 April 2017, 5:24PM in Archived Posts
My problem is volume.

Normally on my Freeview HD TV the volume sits around 15 on all channels. It;s loud enough.

Using the youview box there are some problems. The BBC iPlayer implementation is very loud. I have to halve the volume to listen to it comfortably.

I have recorded Parade's End off BBC HD and the volume of that goes the other way. I have to almost double the volume on the TV in order to listen to it comfortably and even then the volume seems strangely distorted.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

Comments

• tracestraces Posts: 199Member
    edited 24 November 2016, 7:25PM
    Agreed, the volume varies between On Demand, SD and HD channels.

Also during playback, HD channels seem to create a distracting breakup/distortion on the audio.
  • petkolpetkol Posts: 213Member
    edited 14 April 2017, 5:24PM
    Agreed. The BBC iPlayer volume issue was noticed the first time we used it, and reported to Youview.

We also have the quiet HD channel issues.
  • alal Posts: 1,291Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    The volume problem is with the broadcast; HD is correct, SD is too loud and iplayer is far too loud. The fact that different stbs and TVs treat these differently doesn't help.

The distortion on HD is a weird one which I haven't seen on any other equipment. Hopefully it will be fixed with the Dolby fix.
  • edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    The new series of Doctor Who on BBC One HD has been a major irritant for me with sound far lower than the SD version and even lower than other BBC One HD shows.

I just use the YouView box with my standard TV, no sound system but I can't work out why it's a bad as it is.
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    Martin1 said:

The new series of Doctor Who on BBC One HD has been a major irritant for me with sound far lower than the SD version and even lower than other BBC One HD shows.

I just use the YouView box with my standard TV, no sound system but I can't work out why it's a bad as it is.

The problem seems to be that the original Dolby 5.1 soundtrack with HD video runs at 24 frames per second. This is sped up to 25 frames per second for uk TV. It is then transcoded into AAC5.1 for transmission.

The Youview box takes that AAC5.1 soundtrack and converts it to PCM 5.1 which it then down mixes to 2.0 and outputs it in this form.

Those of us who require the 5.1 audio will hopefully see an improvement when Youview fix the final stage. Unfortunately, I don't think this will improve things for you.
  • edited 20 September 2012, 4:13PM
    Martin1 said:

Yes, I rather suspected I'm stuck with it. I called the BBC YouView faults team but they denied any knowledge of poor HD sound. Not really interested in buying a 5.1 system at this point because the wires would be a major irritant.
  • Jeremy BodenJeremy Boden Posts: 57Member
    edited 20 September 2012, 10:01PM
    Martin1 said:

YouView still doesn't handle the sound level properly (ie the same as everybody else). Perhaps a little amplification is needed?
  • John5John5 Posts: 38Member
    edited 21 September 2012, 7:30AM
    My Sony TV (which I obviously compare the youview box against in terms of sound quality gives me minimal difference between HD, SD and BBC iPlayer. If they can get it right I fail to see why youview can't
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 10:30AM
    Hi John, thanks for posting. We’re looking into your query and will get back to you with a response as soon as possible.
  • edited 21 September 2012, 10:16AM
    Martin1 said:

I should add that my Sky+ HD box manages to provide a broadly consistent level of sound between Doctor Who HD and Doctor Who SD so it clearly can be done. Would be great if the BBC and YouView could fix this between them.
    Martin1 said:

That's because Sky (and freesat) broadcast Dolby Digital Sound on HD not AAC sound.
  • edited 21 September 2012, 10:43AM
    Martin1 said:

So why does the BBC use AAC for Freeview/DTT ?
    Martin1 said:

It takes up less space. [Pre-empting the next question] Existing satellite boxes cannot handle AAC though.
  • edited 21 September 2012, 11:00AM
    Martin1 said:

Cheers!
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    Hi John. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing some issues. Have you seen this entry in our FAQ http://www.youview.com/support/kb/why...? It may help to solve your problem. Let us know how you get on.
    Hello Jesse.

I would be interested to know how the FAQ response would provide any kind of help to solve the problem.

It seems from the FAQ response that Youview are abdicating any responsibility to provide a consistent output from the Youview box.

Why do you expect individuals to take this matter up with the brioadcasters who are already part of the Youview entity. Surely Youview should be resolving the issues which the Youview box is presenting to customers.
  • tracestraces Posts: 199Member
    edited 24 November 2016, 7:25PM
    Agreed, YouView is the first point of contact for the user. And using this reported user experience YouView should be contacting their suppliers/broadcasters to resolve the problem.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Posts: 183Member
    edited 21 September 2012, 7:26PM
    Jesse1 said:

Hi John. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing some issues. Have you seen this entry in our FAQ http://www.youview.com/support/kb/why...? It may help to solve your problem. Let us know how you get on.

Hi I have had another freeview Hd set top box, and had no problem with sound levels, it has only really been a problem on the youview box, therefore I do not think its a broadcaster problem, but a problem with the youview box.
  • northernnorthern Posts: 241Member
    edited 22 February 2017, 5:07PM
    Agree
    Out of interest I checked my volume(s) this morning. Here's what I found:

[The TV has a control for input volume for these cases. It can go from -15 to 15 or auto. Mine is on 0.]

BBC1 (via TV), BBC1, BBC1HD, C4HD were all the same volume.
    BBCHD was a little quieter.

I'm guessing the BBCHD was the only one broadcast in 5.1, which the Youview downmixes to stereo.

Hopefully once they sort out the Dolby digital output the volume problem will be fixed for those with 5.1 systems.

I think they will need to look at downmixing separately for those without 5.1
  • iSPYiSPY Posts: 166Member
    edited 24 September 2012, 1:09PM
    A bit like on the Trial Forum when we were requested to contact Humax over an issue!
    True iSPY
    Jesse you state "We’re looking into your query and will get back to you with a response as soon as possible. " but this has been a known problem since the trial started so presumably you have been looking into it for the past two months .. when do you expect to provide the solution ? Thanks
    Jesse any idea when we might hear something ...... two months and waiting !!
    i
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    Hi everyone. The low volume problem for HD channels seems to have been fixed by the software from Humax which adds support for Dolby 5.1. This is due to be released at the end of October.

We still haven't had a date set by BBC iPlayer team to reduce the volume of the their on-demand programmes. As soon as we hear some news I'll post it here.
    Brilliant we are getting there !!
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    That's great news.
    Piers. Thanks for keeping us informed - that's good news.
  • Arr TooArr Too Posts: 10Member
    edited 29 September 2012, 1:33PM
    Fantastic!