Remote record via mobile app

WarriorWarrior Member Posts: 11
edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM in Archived Posts
I'm sure that I have read somewhere that an app is being made that would enable a "remote Record" function to be able to set a recording whilst away from home via your smartphone.

Could this be confirmed please?

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    This would definitely be a useful feature :)

Whilst the YouView system now offers easy access to on demand catch up services the item you forgot about may not be included or you may not be home again in time to catch it. With a mobile app you could remotely add a scheduled recording and save the day.

Such a feature could be extended over time to allow other remote management tasks or provide a more general web based service you could log in to to perform the same tasks.
  • northernnorthern Member Posts: 241
    edited 22 February 2017, 6:07PM
    Yes this has previously been reported as on its way in the future !
  • tracestraces Member Posts: 199
    edited 24 November 2016, 8:25PM
    Agreed would be very useful.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM
    Lets hope its not just iOS and we see this on Android too. ;-)
  • WarriorWarrior Member Posts: 11
    edited 20 September 2012, 7:15PM
    stormy said:

+1 for android!!
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 November 2015, 4:18PM
    stormy said:

Hi. We're working on iOS first, but would like to develop an Android app in the future. There's just a limit to the amount of work the development team can do at once, but we do know there are a lot of Android phones out there. We're listening to feedback and it will help to prioritise. thanks.
  • WarriorWarrior Member Posts: 11
    edited 20 September 2012, 7:27PM
    stormy said:

Nothing against the youview team. I know your busy trying to develop the whole thing as quickly as possible but why do company's prioritize building an ios app over android?
  • MattManMattMan Member Posts: 277
    edited 22 June 2016, 4:22PM
    stormy said:

I would say that iOS is harder to program and it has to past though Apple before it is put out to download.
  • northernnorthern Member Posts: 241
    edited 30 November 2014, 1:48PM
    stormy said:

strange way to go
  • edited 20 September 2012, 7:39PM
    stormy said:

iOS is actually easier because the number of hardware versions is much smaller and you know exactly how the device will perform on all possible devices.

Testing all Android permutations is much harder.
    edited 22 June 2016, 4:22PM
    stormy said:

Well after programming for my Android and looking into iOS, I would say that android is a lot quicker but I was only program for my phone.
    stormy said:

It's always tough to decide which to support first, and a lot people at YouView have Android phones. One of the factors to consider is testing, and there are fewer variants of devices, screen sizes, and software versions for iOS - that has made things slightly easier for us. But as I said, we would like to build an Android version too.
    Piers
    Just out of interest how is this app going to work I.E finding the IP address of our YouView box and getting past the each persons router and talk to the box to add the recording. Are you plaining to have a YouView server running and each and every box will talk to this server and look for information that he been request to record a programme.

Sorry being a software programmer I like to know these things.
    MattMan said:

Piers
    Just out of interest how is this app going to work I.E finding the IP address of our YouView box and getting past the each persons router and talk to the box to add the recording. Are you plaining to have a YouView server running and each and every box will talk to this server and look for information that he been request to record a programme.

Sorry being a software programmer I like to know these things.

Hi. YouView will provide a service that helps to pair the mobile device with a box simply, and then stores and forwards all the requests from the app to that box. I'm sure there'll be more information available and discussions when the service goes live later in the year. No need to apologise, and sorry I can't go into more detail at this point.
  • Paul3Paul3 Member Posts: 1
    edited 20 September 2012, 11:05PM
    stormy said:

Hi, as an owner of several Android devices, I'd like to see Android developed as a priority or at least developed concurrently and released for both platforms at the same time. It's hard to see Youview develop for a platform with the minority market share first and only mention that they would 'like' to see a version on Android. There should be full commitment to the development. Android only needs to be supported for 2.3 upwards at a push and many other developers, even hobbyists don't seem to have a problem with screen sizes etc.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 20 September 2012, 11:56PM
    stormy said:

Why spend any time on niche mobile platform apps anyway? If you are going to do this lead with a web-based app first which any decent smartphone can use.
  • edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Thanks to MattMan for asking a question I was also going to ask and to Piers for the answer.

Looking forward to the app arriving in due course.

In the meantime is there any info on how the app will work in the event of clashes - especially those caused by person A setting a recording remotely and person B trying to set a conflicting recording either remotely or in the home - which will it prioritise?

Will the app also be able to suggest alternative showings like the box does?
  • JulesJules Member Posts: 9
    edited 20 October 2012, 3:48PM
    This function is available in the modified HummyTv HDR-Fox T2 firmware, and works a treat via any web browser.
    Please use this as the template for any development, rather than specific IOS / Android apps (If you have to choose – for gods sake go with Android)
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Member Posts: 275
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Martin1 said:

Thanks to MattMan for asking a question I was also going to ask and to Piers for the answer.

Looking forward to the app arriving in due course.

In the meantime is there any info on how the app will work in the event of clashes - especially those caused by person A setting a recording remotely and person B trying to set a conflicting recording either remotely or in the home - which will it prioritise?

Will the app also be able to suggest alternative showings like the box does?

Hi Martin, thanks for posting. We’re looking into your query and will get back to you with a response as soon as possible.
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 25 September 2012, 1:13AM
    stormy said:

Yeah web based apps seem so much more of an efficient way of providing the needed functions. Then niche apps can be developed without us lot chomping at the bit! Must admit I did groan as soon as the iphone first, then android at.. *Some point* line was given. Android phones vastly outnumber iphones now- giving iphone users constant precedence seems a little out of touch, and yet so many companies do it still. Facebook on android is a shining example of web apps/mobile site being much better than a dedicated app... What with windows phones fast becoming a contender and a lot of blackberries out there, I don't know why making a very good Web app in a one size fits all way is not simply common sense going forward.
  • Ian2Ian2 Member Posts: 45
    edited 28 September 2012, 8:59AM
    With both my recording boxes, 11 year old TiVo and Humax Freesat, I have almost always set programmes via the web based front end.

Always generally set recordings, by the search function, just type programme name, press search button press record button or record series button. Job done.

Main disadvantage of web based interface on the box is you have to remember to leave or have the box on in order to access it. Oh and know how to set up port forwarding and dynamic DNS on your internet router in order to access it any where on the web.

But works well, so much so I never set programmes to record via the TV on either of my boxes.
    Ian I think they might use there own server and the box would check every 30 mins to see if you have setup any recording then add this to the schedule.setting up a dynamic DNS and forwarding ports is way past the youview users.
  • VanderVander Member Posts: 11
    edited 28 September 2012, 2:29PM
    I perssonally think a web base over the net recording system would work much better. You create one website and people can access it through it anywhere.
    I personnally am a windows phone guy, so if the app only comes out for iOS and android it would not be fair.

Web base recording would be best i think
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    In many cases native apps provide a better users experience as this allows you to use the full screen without browser clutter and to know the width and height of the screen the user is looking at.

It also allows you to hook into OS native features more easily which can sometimes be useful.
  • VanderVander Member Posts: 11
    edited 28 September 2012, 3:14PM
    Martin1 said:

In many cases native apps provide a better users experience as this allows you to use the full screen without browser clutter and to know the width and height of the screen the user is looking at.

It also allows you to hook into OS native features more easily which can sometimes be useful.

I do agree with that, but maybe bringing a web based recording system first would be better. I could use my pc at work, my phone. But i would prefer a native app for sure.
  • edited 28 September 2012, 3:44PM
    Martin1 said:

But why start with an inferior product? Native apps for the larger platforms and a web interface for the others might be a better solution.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 28 September 2012, 8:53PM
    Martin1 said:

What browser clutter? Opera running on Symbian does not show any "browser clutter". Get a better browser seems to be the answer to "browser clutter".
  • edited 28 September 2012, 10:29PM
    Martin1 said:

"Opera running on Symbian"

That's nice for both of you ;-)
  • PhilsyPhilsy Member Posts: 28
    edited 21 October 2012, 6:11PM
    I'd love to see an iOS app that allowed me to control the YouView box remotely - Sky offers something similar which is also a programme guide.

Not only would be this be good when away from home, but imagine having this on an iPad - it would be easier and quicker to navigate while sitting on the sofa than using the onscreen guide. Very cool! :)
  • Mark James1Mark James1 Member Posts: 37
    edited 21 October 2012, 7:42PM
    I think this is much broader than the original post, which was specifically about scheduling or cancelling a recording away from home. This is definitely a useful feature but not an app unto itself.

Assuming a suitable protocol is established to retrieve EPG, device info, and issue instructions to it, the 'other side' of that communication needn't be dependant on YouView developers at all. Opening that protocol would enable any number of people to develop applications, whether a website, or smartphone app on the move via a server, or a smartphone app in the home over WiFi or bluetooth. That same app, especially on a tablet, would also be the easiest way to key search terms, and could also implement DLNA for a fully featured remote control. I think that would be awesome!

The apple-ites could build theirs, android lovers build theirs, everybody wins and nobody waits.