HD record option

AndyWAndyW Posts: 30Member
edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM in Discussion
When a recording is set for BBC it checks for HD version and offers to record this if it exists. This does not occur for ITV, CH4 or Five.
This means you have to scroll a long way up the guide to check if an HD version exists.

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    I would assume this relies on EPG data provided by the broadcaster as to what is a series or alternative scheduling of the same programme. Assuming that is the case it would need the other broadcasters to take action rather than YouView.

Something that would go some way to mitigating against this would be channel list management such that you could layout the EPG to put the SD, HD and +1 versions of channels together or even just bump the SD channel down the list etc and hence generally look at the HD listing in a convenient place within the channel order.
  • cj136ukcj136uk Posts: 111Member
    edited 2 August 2013, 2:44PM
    Channel 5 does not offer HD on freeview/youview
  • AndyWAndyW Posts: 30Member
    edited 24 February 2017, 5:33PM
    Sorry for this blunder, but it still applies to ITV & CH4
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Posts: 235Member
    edited 2 October 2012, 6:39AM
    Totally agree. for me this is an important issue to resolve. Would also be good if there were an option to automatically record in HD where th programming exist and automatically swith to the HD channel when viewing a programme.
  • alal Posts: 1,302Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    I assume this only apply to the BBC HD channel as all the others are simulcasts. So when it changes to BBCTWO HD this post will be moot.
    The point is that when an individual chooses to record a programme in SD the box should offer to record the HD version (or record HD automatically if that is the default option chosen). The original poster stated this works for BBC but not ITV and Ch4. I don't understand the relevance of the last post?

If there is a simulcast then, the user should know that and be able to switch to record the HD channel - but (1) only technically savvy people tend to do that - so my family often record SD when HD is available and (2) its much easier for the box to automate that.
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    I've mentioned above in general this is down to the broadcaster and the EPG data they provide as far as I know.

The BBC seem to do a good job here whereas the others do not seem to specify the relevant EPG data and hence the YouView box does not know there is an alternative HD version it can use purely based on that EPG info. Ideally the other broadcasters would thus do as the BBC does and then the YouView box would presumably offer the HD alternative as desired. If the broadcasters do not do that then YouView could presumably implement a workaround purely in software but that would seem like more work than having it done consistently by the broadcaster.

Since these broadcasters are YouView partners perhaps YouView could raise this issue with them in the first instance to see if they can take action.
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM

The point is that when an individual chooses to record a programme in SD the box should offer to record the HD version (or record HD automatically if that is the default option chosen). The original poster stated this works for BBC but not ITV and Ch4. I don't understand the relevance of the last post?

If there is a simulcast then, the user should know that and be able to switch to record the HD channel - but (1) only technically savvy people tend to do that - so my family often record SD when HD is available and (2) its much easier for the box to automate that.

Are they not "savvy" enough to know that itv and c4 will always be better on the hd channels? If not, do they actually care?
    edited 2 October 2012, 9:39AM
    Good point - though I'm not sure. I have no problems with this in Freesat (at least for Ch4), surely its the same data involved?
    edited 2 October 2012, 9:41AM

Its a mixture of being too difficult for them and not being bothered enough. It means that often I end up having to watch in SD or miss part of the programme, when I really do prefer HD. In addition we can end up with duplicate recordings, one HD that I planned before, another SD that they set.
  • cj136ukcj136uk Posts: 111Member
    edited 2 August 2013, 2:44PM
    BBC do a job yes and no. In Scotland we have altered schedules different from BBC England. when they shift programmes the HD variant is often lost. when BBC1/2 HD launch in a matter of days, I'm told this will end. hoping so.

the issue with youview is when the schedules shift a few days before transmission or skipped in HD, the reschedule system youview uses mainly for clashes or missed programme either looks for sd or fails to find a programme due to national variant scheduling. will the ever be solved.
  • John5John5 Posts: 38Member
    Didn't realise BBC2 will be launching soon. Does this mean that local BBC1 and local BBC2 will also be done in HD? It would be nice if they sorted that out.
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    John5 said:

Didn't realise BBC2 will be launching soon. Does this mean that local BBC1 and local BBC2 will also be done in HD? It would be nice if they sorted that out.

From what I understand BBC1HD will be national rather than local and BBC2HD will be {erm} "British National"? - ie England, N. Ireland, Scotland, Wales.

So there will be 4 BBC1HDs and 1 BBC2HD.
  • Scott1Scott1 Posts: 51Member
    edited 21 November 2016, 5:25PM
    Although the BBC channels will let you choose the "watch in HD" option, often the info in the guide for the HD channel doesn't actually state that the program is in HD (no [HD] at the bottom)....so you don't know from the guide whether the HD channel is broadcasting it in HD or SD.
    edited 16 October 2012, 9:29AM
    I could be wrong, but I believe that HD channels always broadcast in HD. Any programming only recorded in SD is upscaled before broadcasting, which normally would be better quality than an SD broadcast being upscaled by devices in the home.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    AIUI Adrian is right, the HD channels broadcast either HD or upscaled SD.
    Yes BBConeHD is ALWAYS better then BBCone.

And will be even better when the audio output is finished!
    Agree with you guys - though it's my understanding that programmes that are natively HD should always say [HD] at the bottom of the description.

For example the F1 at the weekend didn't say [HD] in the description, but was clearly being broadcast natively in HD. Yet some other programmes do say [HD] in the description.
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 16 October 2012, 2:53PM
    In general they do say HD when they are native HD rather than upscaled. What I find annoying are programmes in BBC4 which are shown the next week on BBC HD but for which there is no advance notice that this will happen.
    In my short time using youview, so far very few native HD programmes have actually had [HD] against them. The F1 on Sunday. Homeland on Sunday night was another...
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 345Member
    edited 16 October 2012, 6:58PM
    gomez said:

In general they do say HD when they are native HD rather than upscaled. What I find annoying are programmes in BBC4 which are shown the next week on BBC HD but for which there is no advance notice that this will happen.

Agreed, that's very annoying. The Guardian online guide, along with others I'm sure, is good for showing when this is going to happen. Not ideal I know, but until...............
  • Matthew BaileyMatthew Bailey Posts: 105Member
    edited 29 October 2012, 9:25PM
    Just adding another +1. I assumed it was down to the EPG data rather than Youview specifically, but as others have pointed out, hopefully this is something that Youview can pass onto the broadcasters to ask them to fix.
  • David4David4 Posts: 13Member
    edited 16 February 2013, 7:57PM
    It's difficult because, in ITV's case, the region for SD is different to HD, meaning promoting the HD version could lead to less viewers and less advertising revenue for the native SD region. That said, ITV are technically one company now but ads do still vary from region to region. The point I'm trying to make is that there may be a commercial reason for varying the metadata from an SD version of a programme to an HD one
  • NickNick Posts: 594Member
    edited 9 March 2015, 6:43AM
    Seems to be still a problem with the regional EPG data for HD recommendations. Just been on the EPG to record next weeks batch of goodies and thought I'd check this again as we've been missing out on HD broadcasts ourselves and watched standard broadcasts - not a major issue but it's a far better viewing experience in HD and is a great feature to brag about when the box tells you about them!

Sunday 24th March 2013 8pm - 9pm
    BBC1 Antiques Roadshow - "Record in HD Definition?" shown
    BBC2 Best of Top Gear - "Record in HD Definition?" shown
    ITV1 Foyle's War - NO HD PROMPT (program was available on HD)
    C4 The Secret Millions - NO HD PROMPT (program was available on HD)

Transmitter: Emley Moor

Hopefully Youview will chase this up with the broadcasters at the same time as getting AR sorted out.
    I saw the green "book me" while watching something on C4+1. I Pressed green and it set up a recording on C4 which I have deleted from my EPG!
    edited 3 July 2017, 7:23PM
    Whilst this is a rather old topic, for completeness I'll note the next gen software that begins rolling out on 29/11/2016 has lost this functionality for BBC channels so if one tries to set a recording on say BBC 1 it will no longer prompt to suggest accepting instead a recording to be set on BBC 1 HD :(

Perhaps this feature will make a come back in due course.