Lost graphics when HDMI and scart connected

swedish cookswedish cook Posts: 27Member
edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM in Archived Posts
I have TV attached by Scart and I'm feeding my amplifier with HDMI - I cannot see the guide or any graphics on the TV, I must keep unplugging the HDMI lead.

I don't mind if you make it a manual switchable thing but as it is this equipment is unacceptable and if I had purchased at retail price I would return it immediately.

Comments

• Gary PGary P Posts: 14Member
    edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM
    Hi swedish cook. Sorry to hear that you've run into this problem. We can't give a date for a fix but it is an issue we're aware of and hope to solve soon in a software update.
  • swedish cookswedish cook Posts: 27Member
    edited 20 September 2012, 7:04PM
    Excellent, I can bear with it in the short term !
  • MattManMattMan Posts: 277Member
    Youview ths problem has been there from the start and I can't understand why this problem was not fixed in the past firmware updates that us 'Triallist' have had before.

All I hope is that the October firmware will fix this.
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 21 September 2012, 12:10AM
    Why are your connections this way round? Feeding the amp with optical out or analogue phono out and connecting the HDMI to the TV would be the more usual way?
  • MadcottoMadcotto Posts: 575Member
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    i too ran into this problem, but its because i use the hdmi for the main tv and the scart output to the bedroom via a av sender. this a fairly common setup for a lot of people and almost made me return the box today until i saw that it been addressed here.
    i hope its not too long
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    was recently given this answer to a support question i asked about this. seems they NOT going to address it:

----------------
    Thank you for contacting YouView Support with your feedback, it is advisable that the YouView box should only be connected to one television in order to receive the full functionality of the box. Therefore one of the reasons why the gui does not show on your other TV could be because of this reason. We would advise that if you want the full functionality of the YouView box is to get another one installed in your bedroom.
    ----------------

yea great answer buy another overpriced box to solve a problem that dosent exist in any other humax product or other receiver i ever tried
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    The fact that Humax put the box together is irrelevant, YouView's not a Humax service, all Humax did was put the hardware together, it's YouView who design and control the software and features.

Features and abilities present on Humax Freeview boxes won't always be available on YouView.
    edited 21 September 2012, 4:35PM
    Martin1 said:

The fact that Humax put the box together is irrelevant, YouView's not a Humax service, all Humax did was put the hardware together, it's YouView who design and control the software and features.

Features and abilities present on Humax Freeview boxes won't always be available on YouView.

well i agree and dont. because yes youview controls the software which is why i asked them posted this here and not on humax site. but the hardware suppliers can add extra features if they liked such as different outputs which im sure you will see in the lower budget versions. this could a deal breaker for many people.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 8:03PM
    Martin1 said:

"the hardware suppliers can add extra features if they liked"

No, they can't. The feature list is set by YouView. Nothing outside the YouView menus and features can be added to the boxes.
    edited 21 September 2012, 4:57PM
    Martin1 said:

ok still see no point in your post to this anyway, just because i happened to say humax omg shoot me. this is a YV issue which i posted in a YV forum, your input was irrelevant
  • edited 24 April 2013, 8:03PM
    Martin1 said:

Any reason you've decided to start being childish?

YOU referred to:

"a problem that dosent exist in any other humax product or other receiver i ever tried"

and I have tried to explain to you that this is not a "Humax product" in the same way as Humax's Freesat and FreeView boxes.

All Humax decide is what components - within a tightly defined list of capabilities set out by YouView - to put inside the box to meet the retail price they want to sell it for.

All the features are decided by YouView. When that was explained to you to decided to assert a belief that Humax could have added extra features, when you had it explained that they could not you responded with petulance and rudeness

Neither are necessary. The rudeness and nastiness associated with many other forums isn't needed or welcome here.

This is a new forum where people are trying to help, sometimes that help involves correcting people and advising that they've misunderstood. Correcting misunderstandings is often a vital part of helping people.

As was said earlier in the thread, YouView are working on a fix. Until then you'll either have to accept the limitations, return the box or buy another to use YouView on the second set.
    edited 21 September 2012, 5:19PM
    Martin1 said:

i still dont see why you hung up all over the "humax" bit i said this is a youview issue i simply referred to humax as it been the only box available atm,

why did you even respond to this issue with nothing to add other than im somehow wrong for saying humax that sir was you been rude.
  • gordongordon Posts: 1Member
    edited 21 September 2012, 5:48PM
    Martin1 said:

got agree with Madcotto your input Martin in his thread seems pointless he has raised a problem with the box even suggested a remedy for this you do not see that happen alot.
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 21 September 2012, 8:29PM
    Madcotto said:

was recently given this answer to a support question i asked about this. seems they NOT going to address it:

----------------
    Thank you for contacting YouView Support with your feedback, it is advisable that the YouView box should only be connected to one television in order to receive the full functionality of the box. Therefore one of the reasons why the gui does not show on your other TV could be because of this reason. We would advise that if you want the full functionality of the YouView box is to get another one installed in your bedroom.
    ----------------

yea great answer buy another overpriced box to solve a problem that dosent exist in any other humax product or other receiver i ever tried

And which of course means recording everything on *both* boxes and then trying to find the resume point on the other box when you decide to watch the end of a recording in bed. This reply comes from someone who has hardly used a PVR if at all.
  • swedish cookswedish cook Posts: 27Member
    edited 22 September 2012, 9:17AM
    As to why I'm connecting this way around, I have a smallish TV and a HD projector, the projector is wired for composite and hdmi only, and I CERTAINLY dont want to feed it composite !
  • paul1paul1 Posts: 5Member
    edited 7 October 2012, 8:07AM
    This is also driving me nuts, surely if a hd picture can go through the hdmi & scart at the same time it should be easy to make the menus do the same. having a blank screen with a tiny thumbnail in the corner is just poor it makes the box look like someone made it from a maplin build at home kit.
    Youview updated to the new firmware but no fix to this bug, I was hoping as this was pointed out when I was a trialist and reported months ago it would have been fixed.
  • Neil DaviesNeil Davies Posts: 14Member
    edited 19 November 2012, 9:04PM
    I am also waiting for a fix to this. It's another thing that could well put people off buying a Youview box (as is already, see below). As has already been said, the second TV via an AV sender to another TV is a common setup.

My in-laws for one have this setup on their sky HD box. They love to look of Youview on our TV and this is solely the only reason their sticking with their sky box for the time being.
    edited 22 June 2016, 4:22PM
    Gary P said:

Hi swedish cook. Sorry to hear that you've run into this problem. We can't give a date for a fix but it is an issue we're aware of and hope to solve soon in a software update.

three update and still not fixed are you any closer to a fix.
    Update please.
  • Adrian NashAdrian Nash Posts: 1Member
    I also have this problem as my TV is connected via hdmi and the transmitter is connected via the scart. The TV with the transmitter doesn't get the you view menu. I think I would have returned it had I known about this before.
    edited 22 June 2016, 4:22PM

I also have this problem as my TV is connected via hdmi and the transmitter is connected via the scart. The TV with the transmitter doesn't get the you view menu. I think I would have returned it had I known about this before.

Adrian, You could use the audio L/R & video output from the YouView box and connect this to your transmitter and then connect your TV to the scart this is the workaround I has setup for now but I have that an update might fix this soon. If you do set this up just remember that you will need to restart the YouView box once you have removed the HDMI cable and connected the scart cable.
    Regards
    MattMan
  • Chris RockChris Rock Posts: 2Member
    edited 7 January 2013, 2:22PM
    I also wiish to leave my main set connected to the HDMI [for the HD channels] and use the SCART or composite video outputs to run a couple of other sets in other rooms. My Topfield TF5800 allows me to do this, an older Sky Plus box allows this. A LOT of people want to do this. It must be possible, one night my YOuview box got into a "funny" state and gave me outputs, complete with EPG, recorded programme lists etc. on BOTH the HDMI output and the composite video. When the box was powered on and off this stopped happening. As a work-around for this I have put my Youview box HDMI output into a two-way manual HDMI switch box and I switch the HDMI output to the TV OFF when I want to view one of the other sets fed by the modulator. Other than this I like the YouView system, but if I hadn't got it on the £49 down and £5 a month deal from BT I would have definitely bought a Humax HDR-FoxT2 instead. Come on YouView and Humax, sort this out !!
  • Nicholas RalphNicholas Ralph Posts: 5Member
    edited 10 January 2013, 8:34PM
    I've just changed from a BT Vision box, which allowed SCART and HDMI connection at same time no problem. Can't believe this setup. Surely this needs resolving asap? My viewing of my TV in my bedroom is now impossible.
  • Steve JeynesSteve Jeynes Posts: 2Member
    edited 11 January 2013, 7:23AM
    I've just bought a manual 2-way HDMI switch for £10, one output to TV the other blank. It works. When the output is sent to the blank port the programme guide etc. all work on the second TV fed from the scart (you will lose everything sent to the main TV). Not an ideal solution but serves a purpose.
    edited 11 January 2013, 7:38AM
    hi Steve, could you possibly post a link to the item?
    edited 11 January 2013, 7:38AM
    hi Steve, could you possibly post a link to the item?
  • Steve JeynesSteve Jeynes Posts: 2Member
    edited 11 January 2013, 7:52AM
    Hi Nicholas,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-MANUAL-S...

Only 2 stars but it works for me - would like one with a remote control so will do some more investigation.
  • mel2mel2 Posts: 6Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I have sky+, BT Vision, topfield PVR, VCR and dvd player(plus RF modulator) boxes daisychained on RF Cable going into an RF distribution amplifier to send signals to all the TVs in the house. I also have IR senders in every room to control them.

The BT Vision box and DVD player also feed my projector and AV amp via HDMI cables at the same time.

I understand that (unlike the Sky+, BTVision and Topfield Boxes) the Youview box does not have an RF Modulator built in, but enabling Scart/Composite output at the same time as HDMI would allow me to link it in via another RF Modulator.

Is there any chance of this happening? or is there a good reason why it will not?

DLNA may be an alternative for the future but that is another story.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    mel2 said:

I have sky+, BT Vision, topfield PVR, VCR and dvd player(plus RF modulator) boxes daisychained on RF Cable going into an RF distribution amplifier to send signals to all the TVs in the house. I also have IR senders in every room to control them.

The BT Vision box and DVD player also feed my projector and AV amp via HDMI cables at the same time.

I understand that (unlike the Sky+, BTVision and Topfield Boxes) the Youview box does not have an RF Modulator built in, but enabling Scart/Composite output at the same time as HDMI would allow me to link it in via another RF Modulator.

Is there any chance of this happening? or is there a good reason why it will not?

As above, you could take off SCART to one destination and composite to another (one of them via an RF modulator if you wished) and this would be fine. But if you take off HDMI at all, you won't get the menus over either SCART or composite.

The price of distributing the output from a YV box is that you can't exploit the HDMI, at the same time, and vice versa.

A good plan might be to get an HDMI switch box, as above, but attach either the SCART or the composite to the TV as well. Then you can watch HDMI, and others can watch over SCART or composite (whichever isn't going into the TV) when no-one is trying to use the menus from another room; or, if you want the menu control from another room, flip the HDMI switch to blank. Then someone can still watch the YV ouput on the TV, just from the alternate (and less Hi-Def) source.

What should really happen, though, is that YouView should fix this bug, and remove the need for all such elaborate workarounds.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • mel2mel2 Posts: 6Member
    edited 17 January 2013, 12:39AM
    mel2 said:

Thanks Roy.

An alternative I have considered is a HDMI Splitter (£25) plus HDMI/Scart converter(£70) and then an analogue RF Modulator. Not sure how the YV box would react to that though.

I believe HDMI to DVB-T RF modulators are also available, giving the advantage of transmitting HD, but they are pretty expensive.

However like you I would rather see an in-box fix before going youview.