Youview box keeps losing Freeview channels - Poor response from Support

Graeme MackayGraeme Mackay Posts: 38Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Box continually loses Freeview channels. No other problems with other Freeview devices in the house. Pefect quality signal to the box. Have raised issue with support weeks ago, but still no solution.

Comments

• RottyRotty Posts: 107Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Do you 'disconnect' your Internet from the box overnight, perhaps switch off the Powerline adapter ... Or do you get any Internet outages?

Reason I ask is that I seem to lose channels if I power off or reboot my Powerline kit ... Almost as if it's more to do with the EPG (that's loaded over the net when connected) than the box actually losing or deleting channels, although a reboot doesn't bring them back.

I just haven't lost any channels since the last time I rebooted by powerline kit (I have quite a bit in the house as run 2 smart TVs, a WD Live box, and a BlueRay player across it using Netgear 4-port AV adapters) though have probably spoken too soon now :-)
  • Graeme MackayGraeme Mackay Posts: 38Member
    edited 22 September 2012, 2:50PM
    No, internet is connected all the time, as are the Powerline adapters. No internet outages.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    When you refer to lost channels, do the channels appear if you type in their channel number when watching live TV?

If so that points to an issue in pulling down the EPG data, as Rotty has already suggested.
    edited 2 September 2014, 10:44PM
    No the channels don't appear.

Press channel number, and it is blank (ie it won't go to the channel), It is removed from the channel list and removed from the EPG.
    Are all your Freeview devices connected to the same aerial? If so, what happens if you unplug any extensions and have just the YouView box attached to it?
    edited 22 September 2012, 3:01PM
    All Freeview devices connected to same aerial. Have unplugged everything to check but makes no difference.

Had the aerial checked (at cost), no difference.

Perfect quality signal to all devices, other Freeview devices don't seem to be affected by the issue, just the Youview box.
    Hmm, are the other devices in different rooms? If so is there amy merit trying the YV box on one of the connections not having the issue?
  • RottyRotty Posts: 107Member
    edited 17 January 2017, 7:15PM
    Have to say that when I get a block of channels go walkies, (which appears to be Internet link loss related and always to date the PSB2 mux) I can't access the channels by keying their number either, but checking on the System Info page it still claims I have 126 channels tuned, so it's not like the box has done an auto retune and missed a mux out...
    edited 22 September 2012, 3:08PM
    Martin1 said:

Hmm, are the other devices in different rooms? If so is there amy merit trying the YV box on one of the connections not having the issue?

Have tried all that trying desperately to discount all issues
    edited 22 September 2012, 3:10PM
    Rotty said:

Have to say that when I get a block of channels go walkies, (which appears to be Internet link loss related and always to date the PSB2 mux) I can't access the channels by keying their number either, but checking on the System Info page it still claims I have 126 channels tuned, so it's not like the box has done an auto retune and missed a mux out...

Yep it does look as it if it doing an auto retune and blanking the mux out, even though it is reporting the full compliment of channels.
    What transmitter does this happen on?

I'm on Crystal Palace and have had YouView since July, not had this issue once so unless it's a faulty component it may be dependent on local (transmitter or in the home) factors.
    edited 22 September 2012, 3:16PM
    Martin1 said:

I'm on Crystal Palace and have had YouView since July, not had this issue once so unless it's a faulty component it may be dependent on local (transmitter or in the home) factors.

Rosemarkie - doesn't seem to be a transmitter problem, no engineering works and not affecting any other Freeview device.

Aerial and cabling has been checked and perfect condition, it was recently all redone and is producing perfect quality signal across the house for all devices.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 8:03PM
    Martin1 said:

Could you get the box swapped or borrow one to rule out a dodgy box?
    edited 22 September 2012, 3:19PM
    Martin1 said:

Comet not prepared to do a swap out to do a test, says issue for Youview to resolve.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi Graeme, this is a known issue and our technical team are working on trying to resolve it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
  • davebtxdavebtx Posts: 15Member
    edited 23 September 2012, 9:41PM
    i also have the same issue i am on sutton colfeld tx i lose 25 channels and the internet shows not conected.

my box is wired strate into broadband hub and i have no internet problems
    please resolve soon
    edited 23 September 2012, 9:43PM
    my box has been doing this for week now and have reset box to default also a retune helps but channel are lost very quickly.
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Posts: 315Member
    edited 24 September 2012, 9:51AM
    "Hi Graeme, this is a known issue and our technical team are working on trying to resolve it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

Wow! How can such a major issue escaped the trials?
  • ExBBCcoderExBBCcoder Posts: 17Member
    edited 26 July 2013, 11:18PM
    Sounds like a similar issue I had with a Humax box I bought from HD Direct. The channels saved initially then after an hour or two the channels were not there. Retuning did nothing. Had to manually reset the box then the first retune worked then failed again. Sent the box back to HD Direct and bought another YouView Humax from Amazon. No issues with the second box.
    edited 24 September 2012, 5:34PM

"Hi Graeme, this is a known issue and our technical team are working on trying to resolve it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

Wow! How can such a major issue escaped the trials?

Not what I spent £299 for - I would have thought the basics would have been sorted before launch - I can't even do anything about it Youview and Comet are wiping their hands off the issue, not even the offer of a replacement box. Each are blaming each other.
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Posts: 315Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:34AM
    @Graeme

"Youview and Comet are wiping their hands off the issue..."

What are each telling you?

"...not even the offer of a replacement box.

It is against consumer law for Comet to put you in this position. Know your rights. If you bought the box from Comet, they are responsible to give you a replacement or correct the problem.

YouView is not responsible for faults, Comet is. YouView will do their best to support the user base but it is not their responsibility to replace a faulty box or repair it.

Ask to talk with the store manager and SHOUT!

Remember the Monty Python parrot sketch. 40 years on, nothing has changed in the retail sector, I'm afraid.
    edited 24 September 2012, 5:47PM

@Graeme

It is against consumer law for Comet to put you in this position. Know your rights. If you bought the box from Comet, they are responsible to give you a replacement or correct the problem.

YouView is not responsible for faults, Comet is. YouView will do their best to support the user base but it is not their responsibility to replace a faulty box or repair it.

Remember the Monty Python parrot sketch. 40 years on, nothing has changed in the retail sector, I'm afraid.

Comet are saying its a problem with the software of the box (how they know is another thing) so a replacement box won't help.

YouView as you say are not responsible for faults, what would help is some sort of recognition that it is a box fault that would help my case with Comet.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 8:04PM

@Graeme

Then you go to Trading Standards who will prosecute Comet.
  • Steve1959Steve1959 Posts: 1Member
    edited 25 September 2012, 5:11PM
    Having exactly the same issue here, suddenly lost all channels, epg still visible but selecting any just gave black screen. A complete restart then scan twice and they came back.
  • Mike1Mike1 Posts: 3Member
    edited 1 October 2012, 12:00PM
    I'm having the same issue. All working fine then suddenly a black screen on all Freeview channels. Error YVM302 comes up - saying weak / lost signal.

Its nothing to do with the aerial / signal as I can switch back to the TV. In fact the old Humax PVR 9200 still gets standard Freeview images even with the aerial cable disconnected!

A rescan does not restore the channels however a hard reset (on / off at back) normally restores OK.

Is this a technical issue that will be fixed or do I have a faulty box? I only bought the Humax on Thursday (27/09/12) from Amazon so only have a couple of days left if I want to reject it under the online sales 7 day rule. I would like to keepo it and get it to work because I think the concept is godd but at the moment I am close to reconnecting the old Hummie.

If it matters I live in Cheam / Sutton - Greater London.
    edited 1 October 2012, 12:18PM
    talked to humax who recomended asking John lewis to replace the box which john lewis are going to arrange this week.
    will let you know when i get new box to see if it happens again.
    there is a new box due out monday call freetime sat based could be worth a try.
    i live in the westmidlands of suton coldfeild tx
    edited 1 October 2012, 1:08PM
    just recived a email to say try a reset of the box

"His advice was to try to enter the recorder's "Maintenance Mode" to fully restore the box. To do this please follow the below instructions:

1. Switch the box off and place into Standby.

2. Press Standby on the remote control to turn it back on. Just as the blue light comes on press and hold the "Vol -" key on the remote control.

3. You should see a message that says "Press Standby to enter Maintenance Mode". Press Standby.

4. Using the "Prog +" and "Prog -" keys on the remote control please select the option for a Factory Restore at this menu. This will format the hard disc and you will lose any recorded programmes.
  • SW1SW1 Posts: 240Member
    edited 1 October 2012, 1:21PM
    davebtx said:

"His advice was to try to enter the recorder's "Maintenance Mode" to fully restore the box. To do this please follow the below instructions:

2. Press Standby on the remote control to turn it back on. Just as the blue light comes on press and hold the "Vol -" key on the remote control.

3. You should see a message that says "Press Standby to enter Maintenance Mode". Press Standby.

4. Using the "Prog +" and "Prog -" keys on the remote control please select the option for a Factory Restore at this menu. This will format the hard disc and you will lose any recorded programmes.

There is also an option to reset the box without losing all the recordings too.
    edited 1 October 2012, 1:22PM
    davebtx said:

which is?
  • Mike1Mike1 Posts: 3Member
    edited 5 October 2012, 8:57PM
    Ok I have now carried out a full factory reset and still no improvement. Can't find any channels, so Off and on via switch at back - retune - and they reappear. A few minutes of excellent HD tv and then black screen, VM302 error poor or no signal error, All channels disappeared. On demand tv works but glitches here as well - I.e. picture but no sound. Reset cures it. Shame but conclusion is Faulty box so I will ask Amazon to replace. Will let you know how i get on.

David did you get your replacement ? Did it work?