Lovefilm and Netflix?

Comments

• Gary HayGary Hay Member Posts: 3
    edited 5 June 2014, 8:54PM

I have talk talk you view pox (yes pox not box)

I have love film box office so no reason why love film instant is not possible.

Now TV and talk talk fill up my search for films and all are pay pay pay.

Talk talk gave free 1 year love film instant and a free you view box and guess what you cant get it.

On streaming side we must complain to trading standards, catch up TV, what a load of ****.
    You try to go back to find something but unless its dribble mind numbing daytime rubbish or x factor / corrie there is nothing much else. search films and its full of pay pay pay stuff. Infact +1 or itv2 will show the same **** so this box is so way old my old VHS has more use.

My smart tv is much better at least I can use it for lovefilm instant.

My advice forget this silly box and get a smart tv or PS3. who ever uses it to record and watch channels on. 500GB is pants and it can not be used to stream on other devices.

My advice would be to concentrate on streaming abilities, dump the tuner and hard disc recording if it can not be used on other devices, and minimum of 2000GB. A smaller HDMI device that focuses on streaming is the way forward, including UPNP from other networked devices with its great interface then we will have a winner, which has apps such as love film instant.

Xbox One will be the way forward for TV. I already use my Xbox 360 for streaming LoveFilm, NetFlix and SkyGo. WhenXBox One releases in November it will do everything I want and no need for a remote.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Don Henley is not hopeful:-

They're not here, they're not coming
    Not in a million years
    Turn your weary eyes back homeward
    Stop your trembling, dry your tears
    You may see the heavens flashing
    You may hear the cosmos humming
    But I promise you, my brother
    They're not here, they're not coming
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • James QuinnJames Quinn Member Posts: 23
    edited 10 September 2013, 5:41PM
    Got a pretty good deal on now tv via groupon this week, 6 months for £14.99 or something like that, this has given me the chance to really see how good youview could be as a box if Netflix and lovefilm ever arrived, one unit for live tv, pvr, catch up tv, streaming. When all of this is here the youview box will be worth the retail price and become a serious contender in the market place.
  • Michael4Michael4 Member Posts: 23
    edited 11 September 2013, 9:27AM
    Well....where to begin....we are now well over 12months on from the start of this thread and is anyone any further forward with this?
    Rumours...speculations...half hearted promises..."things are coming in the summer"...ITS SEPTEMBER...SUMMER IS OVER

come on guys, lets be realistic about this, if this was going to happen it would have already, you have to remember that Netflix, Lovefilm, Blinkbox etc would actually want to be involved in this for this to happen and so far there has been nothing, so are they as interested in this as we are? I'm not trying to be negative here but I was part of the original Test/Focus group that tried the service prior to the release, we asked on numerous occasions to have these services added, along with a few more that I wont go into, and this was several months again before this thread was started...and we are no further forward
    Personally I like YouView, the box is head and shoulders above the Sky boxes its just the content that is sadly lacking...they are good out of the gate but the stamina just isnt there

A few people have asked for responses from YV and Piers about this but its noticable that the responses have stopped coming....

I wouldnt hold your breath guys....if you want to get streaming Internet services on your TV's, like I do, perhaps this isnt the machine for this at this time, I think is going to be a long way off
  • Steve MullinsSteve Mullins Member Posts: 58
    edited 15 January 2017, 7:13PM
    With now tv, some movies are available on the ipad but not youview due to 'rights restrictions' anyone with now tv - start watching 'the grey' / 'the notebook' on your iOS device, then, on the now tv youview app, go to 'my tv' and try to watch the ipad started movies - you can't.

So perhaps no Netflix is due to rights restrictions - ie, they stream alot of BBC box sets so maybe the soloutions is for Netflix to make a youview compliant version stripped of content....
  • Anthony HowardAnthony Howard Member Posts: 16
    edited 31 January 2014, 11:27PM
    Though its taken virgin 18 months to get a netflix app onto a TiVo box so maybe looking at the same delay for youview?
  • Rob BorleyRob Borley Member Posts: 6
    edited 16 September 2014, 1:53PM
    For me YouView have until my subscription to BT Infinity runs out. BT have infuriated me further with YouView. Apart from no Netflix etc. BT restrict access to other channels on YouView such as FOX unless I have at least 12 months to run on my contract. I signed up for 18 months in the first place. Now I ONLY have another 11 months to run, I cannot access these channels!! I am really upset about that. I may have to start another post on the topic.

Not impressed with BT and YouView.
  • Alan BellAlan Bell Member Posts: 6
    I really don't know why people are so fixated on this issue.

We've had Lovefilm and quit, due to the content available for viewing on my Sony Bravia being too limited.

We have used Blinkbox (via computer/HDMI to TV) and found it good, but still fairly limited (at that time, before Tesco).

We have used Now TV on their initial offer, enjoyed the movies available but, again, found their offering extremely limited - especially for the full price they wanted to charge.

A friend of mine has used Netflix for a while and from what he told me, unless you want to watch endless TV boxsets, it's nothing special.

There is really no provider of streaming movie/TV content that is actually offering what people want: i.e. access to decent, recent movies/TV for pay-per-view and access to a wide library of good older content (I would personally love to watch, say, The Great Escape on demand). So until a good service is available on ANY platform, why gripe and cut yourself up about which box has what?

At the end of the day, we had no PVR before buying our Humax Youview box. We love it for what it does - i.e. allow us to record what we want to watch and have ready access to all catchup TV services. It's a brilliant box and a brilliant service. Anything else is just extras.

Nuff said.
  • doriseric1003doriseric1003 Member Posts: 4
    edited 17 February 2014, 8:37PM
    Alan Bell said:

We've had Lovefilm and quit, due to the content available for viewing on my Sony Bravia being too limited.

We have used Blinkbox (via computer/HDMI to TV) and found it good, but still fairly limited (at that time, before Tesco).

We have used Now TV on their initial offer, enjoyed the movies available but, again, found their offering extremely limited - especially for the full price they wanted to charge.

A friend of mine has used Netflix for a while and from what he told me, unless you want to watch endless TV boxsets, it's nothing special.

There is really no provider of streaming movie/TV content that is actually offering what people want: i.e. access to decent, recent movies/TV for pay-per-view and access to a wide library of good older content (I would personally love to watch, say, The Great Escape on demand). So until a good service is available on ANY platform, why gripe and cut yourself up about which box has what?

At the end of the day, we had no PVR before buying our Humax Youview box. We love it for what it does - i.e. allow us to record what we want to watch and have ready access to all catchup TV services. It's a brilliant box and a brilliant service. Anything else is just extras.

Nuff said.

Last paragraph is enough for me - trying to decide whether to go for YouView - and apart from the decision as to whether to buy or get on contract - your points are very helpful.
  • Anthony HowardAnthony Howard Member Posts: 16
    edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    I use netflix more than watching my virgin tv service (which is swapping to bt next week) and while I have loads of boxes that can watch netflix on it would be so great to not have to switch boxes and remotes and have it just built into the on demand and ultimately there I no reason they shouldn't develop an app for youview netflix is currently probably the best paid on demand streaming service in the uk and the movies are improving all the time ( they beat sky to the first rights to the hobbit!!) and hopefully will continue to develop and improve with support
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM

I use netflix more than watching my virgin tv service (which is swapping to bt next week) and while I have loads of boxes that can watch netflix on it would be so great to not have to switch boxes and remotes and have it just built into the on demand and ultimately there I no reason they shouldn't develop an app for youview netflix is currently probably the best paid on demand streaming service in the uk and the movies are improving all the time ( they beat sky to the first rights to the hobbit!!) and hopefully will continue to develop and improve with support

Yes, Netflix are doing very well at present, and full of confidence! - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news...
    Lets just hope they are considering YouView.
  • James QuinnJames Quinn Member Posts: 23
    edited 15 September 2013, 2:58PM
    We have Netflix and lovefilm. Like them both for what they offer, lovefilm for films, netxlfix for tv series. Always manage something to watch. Would be quite happy to give up lovefilm for DVD rental and use use blinkbox or the like whenever I want a more up to date title.

Agreed though youview is great as a pvr and integrated menu etc but it will be stonking when it's full potential is realised, and that will be when they get 3rd party apps /streaming sorted.
  • Mike2Mike2 Member Posts: 144
    edited 12 July 2014, 5:24PM
    they've been saying that since the day it was released - Yes it would be nice to see them on Youview but I doubt it will be before end of next year.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    NEXT year? Based upon what, Mike?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Mike2Mike2 Member Posts: 144
    edited 12 July 2014, 5:24PM
    It's my opinion - based on how stuff has been coming to Youview since release - I want to see Vevo, YouTube, Netflix and possible Crackle on there. It would also be nice for Lovefilm to arrive, but I'm not interested in that as the interface is rubbish and same content on BT Vision most of the time.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:47AM
    To be fair, YouView themselves haven't promised anything specific that hasn't already been delivered.
    1. YouView provides a core set of great broadcast and IP-delivered services, including 70 broadcast TV channels, on demand and catch up services from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five, STV, NOW TV and more. These services are available on all YouView boxes, no matter where you get it from.

2. Dependent on your internet service provider, you may also receive content services directly from your ISP in addition to those provided by YouView. For example if you have BT Broadband you should be able to receive BT's TV service, called BT Vision, and if you have TalkTalk Broadband you should be able to receive TalkTalk TV.

3. YouView is working with ISPs and content providers to allow them to make available additional IP delivered TV channels on YouView boxes. The first such services will be available to TalkTalk customers who have a YouView box provided directly by TalkTalk - initially these services will only be accessible via the Talk Talk TV service.

4. Later in 2013, we aim allow IP delivered TV channels to be made available via any YouView box on either BT or TalkTalk's broadband network - the exact set of channels will depend on whether you are a BT or TalkTalk broadband customer. We also aim to make these channels accessible from the main YouView UI, integrated in the program guide alongside the existing TV channels.
    http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • Rob BorleyRob Borley Member Posts: 6
    Alan Bell said:

Nuff said.

I agree that YouView is good. Better value than Sky+. However, almost because of this I want Netflix and other on demand streaming services as apps accessible from it's box to save the clutter and hassle of being forced to use other platforms or having to buy a "smart tv" which wouldn't have something as good as YouView either.
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:50AM

If, and its a big IF they put netflix on Youview, would it come up like sky now in the search results?

But if you don't sub to now tv etc... It's pointless results coming up.
    I also find it dumb that radio progs come up in search results - I never listen to radio progs on tv and always have to manually turn off radio results each time too many radio progs pop up - just seems YV has minor but slightly annoying design flaws all over the shop
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:52AM
    stuart621 said:

Now TV is abysmal. I took out the deal to get it for 6 months for £6 or something and so far I have used it once. You don't even get HD versions of the films. I will be cancelling as soon as the offer period os over. Their selection of content is almost as poor as their user interface.

The person who thought mainly white would be a good background needs shooting - that's just what you want to see after spending 2 hours in the dark!
    It's ok / fairly average - rather have the HD quality of Netflix...
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:54AM

Quite simply, if Netflix or LF instant don't appear on the Youview ondemand section, I will ditch the box as soon as my BT contract is up. Youview are missing a trick here. Many customers want this functionality instead of having to rely on yet another box (Apple tv / ps3 etc.) and another pain-in-the-bum hdmi input for their tv, or worse, having to rely on upgrading to a smart tv which will soon be out-of-date once again.

It might not be what Youview was intended for, but it would at least bring it all together in a useful and user-friendly way.

Indeed - I have one Ethernet cable avail and would rather watch netflix via youview than flaky wifi on my smart tv / ps3...
  • sandmansandman Member Posts: 59
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:29AM
    DM2 said:

Oh, you tease! Spotted through my efforts in stalking twitter for anything including "youview" - a reply to a tweet sent earlier today:

I'm not particularly fussed about Lovefilm or Netflix meself, I find their content a bit "meh" ...but a rockin' PAYG app for box office movies would be pretty damn tasty!

NowTV is all well & good (especially at £14.99 for 6 months courtesy of Groupon) but, being based on Sky's broadcast movie channels, the content's not as shiny as can now be sourced from online providers (or Sky's own Box Office, for that matter).

I'm thinking Blinkbox perhaps (there's already historical engagement here), but I'm really not fussed who - just something with access to the latest releases as soon as they're available beyond cinemas, and preferably without having to pay for a month's access at a time (unless their content's so great & plentiful that it's cheaper to subscribe by the month).

On demand access to premium TV shows (again, as with Blinkbox) would also be great ...being able to follow top name series like True Blood, Spartacus or Game Of Thrones, close to their original broadcast date, but without having to contract myself to a whole bundle of live broadcast channels I may not be interested in would be a real boon!
    Smiley

LOL wonder what the big plan is, declare bankruptcy and go into administration!
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:34AM
    wonder if it might actually be ISP/major shareholders (tt / bt) refusing to allow access to netflix/LF as it takes too much bandwidth, esp netflix with hd.

or even BBC as it will undermine their bs service.
    DM2 said:

Oh, you tease! Spotted through my efforts in stalking twitter for anything including "youview" - a reply to a tweet sent earlier today:

I'm not particularly fussed about Lovefilm or Netflix meself, I find their content a bit "meh" ...but a rockin' PAYG app for box office movies would be pretty damn tasty!

NowTV is all well & good (especially at £14.99 for 6 months courtesy of Groupon) but, being based on Sky's broadcast movie channels, the content's not as shiny as can now be sourced from online providers (or Sky's own Box Office, for that matter).

I'm thinking Blinkbox perhaps (there's already historical engagement here), but I'm really not fussed who - just something with access to the latest releases as soon as they're available beyond cinemas, and preferably without having to pay for a month's access at a time (unless their content's so great & plentiful that it's cheaper to subscribe by the month).

On demand access to premium TV shows (again, as with Blinkbox) would also be great ...being able to follow top name series like True Blood, Spartacus or Game Of Thrones, close to their original broadcast date, but without having to contract myself to a whole bundle of live broadcast channels I may not be interested in would be a real boon!
    Smiley

Strange comment, sandman.
    Tesco's new tablet shows how much they are determined to use digital technology to promote their business and the brand.
    edited 26 September 2013, 2:02PM
    DM2 said:

Smiley

sorry could you eloborate, just googled and couldnt find a connection between 'the hudl' and youview. if its another app for tablets and smartphones then yes, very fashionable and forward thinking.
    DM2 said:

Smiley

We may not be understanding each other here...
    Peter Wells raised the subject of Tesco & Blinkbox.
    I was adding some background info about Tesco's attitude to digital stuff.
    (Michael Comish is clearly a bright guy etc.)
    I couldn't understand your comment which seemed strange to me (dare I say sarcastic and negative?)
    So my response was to mention the hudl which strikes me as quite an imaginative thing for a supermarket to do.
    I can't see why you should have thought that I was making a connection between the hudl and YouView.
    edited 26 September 2013, 2:48PM
    DM2 said:

Smiley

i was actually referring to the twitter snippet on the post, but yes the hudl seems interesting. hopefully we can embrace the digital service like we ought to without drm making a mockery of it and without arguments like there is now concerning a hard copy or not for the xbox one, which does nothing for the entertainment industry as a whole without causing a wild argument on copyright infringements and cash flows etc. lets embrace the future shall we?
    DM2 said:

Smiley

Aha - confusion reigns! I thought you were thinking Tesco might "declare bankruptcy and go into administration".
    Apologies.
    DM2 said:

Smiley

Just to continue on the subject of hudl...
    Apologies, this is not at all an appropriate subject for a forum about YouView but in my opinion this is really fascinating...http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/...
    DM2 said:

Smiley

The next step of Tesco's cunning plan:
    http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/...