Lovefilm and Netflix?

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Whilst you have a VERY valid point, jason york, your forgetting one very important thing.

YouView is new. Brand new. So would you expect an infant to run before they could walk? Many platforms/services will actually come, in time. And that infant could, one day, become an Olympic runner. lol
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • htpchelp.co.ukhtpchelp.co.uk Member Posts: 11
    edited 22 November 2012, 5:30PM
    visionman

YouView may be new but disk based recording devices which this is are not i.e. TiVo before virgin and sky+.

Its a shame that this or any box can not have the back end of a android and the front end of the YV. I dont really need the Hard disk or tuners they are nice but the disk capacity is small and I can not view on any other device so very limited.

I may be a bit hard to please, but my sony smart tv really did impress me, I can record to usb (so increase sorage). I can play back from usb, or from any other upnp device on my network, MP3's images or recordings. it can stream music, and programs from the main players including love film and its own services. It has an android remote app. I can even push images music and programs from my android phone (either in its memory or from a upnp server) onto the tv. The combinations are endless. My windows PC's see the device so I can push from the PC onto the TV.

Yes the smart TV is still developing as new services and functionality is coming but it was not a bad start.
  • Michael4Michael4 Member Posts: 23
    So....Freesat have now launched their first...notice I said first installment for the xmas market, a player that does all that youview does....However...in their next installment they are bringing in the ondemand services including lovefilm and netflix as well as offering DNLA connection....

I know youview have aid that this is all on the cards for them but I think the time has run out, their market just got a hell of lot more complicated

pull your finger out youview...or its over before it starts
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:04AM
    Michael4 said:

So....Freesat have now launched their first...notice I said first installment for the xmas market, a player that does all that youview does....However...in their next installment they are bringing in the ondemand services including lovefilm and netflix as well as offering DNLA connection....

I know youview have aid that this is all on the cards for them but I think the time has run out, their market just got a hell of lot more complicated

Yes, Freetime has launched. And that box is getting even more complaints than this one. Harsh, but true.
  • Michael4Michael4 Member Posts: 23
    edited 11 November 2012, 6:12PM
    Michael4 said:

My concern at the minute is that all of the recomendations/suggestions that were offered as part of the trial seem to be going unanswered. The netflix/lovefilm/blinkbox/crackle debate has raged on and on, and no further info has been offered by YV. I know theres the whole Now Tv angle...but really...£15 a month...your avin a larf...for that price you may a well get sky
    Im worried that in oder to get all of main things people have asked for like more on demand players...USB funtionality...the ability to connect to their home network to watch stuff from their PC, we will have to wait for a new improved upgraded box, I mean thats the normal strategy isnt it...if thers something they really want they will pay for it
  • edited 11 November 2012, 6:17PM
    Michael4 said:

Michael wrote:

>> a player that does all that youview does

It does not do all that YouView does - not least it lacks the universal search of YouView

>> in their next installment they are bringing in the ondemand services including lovefilm and netflix

That's not confirmed and it's not for Freesat 'to bring' those services to the platform, they need to want to join it which is exactly the same situation as with YouView.

>> I know youview have aid that this is all on the cards for them but I think the time has run out, their market just got a hell of lot more complicated

How so? With the arrival of a box that doesn't work properly - so much so that the clock on the front didn't even update when with the clocks changed?

Oh and that DNLA functionality - doesn't work all that great: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showth...
  • edited 11 November 2012, 6:20PM
    Michael4 said:

>> The netflix/lovefilm/blinkbox/crackle debate has raged on and on, and no further info has been offered by YV.

If there are talks ongoing they wouldn't be free to discuss those talks.

>> we will have to wait for a new improved upgraded box, I mean thats the normal strategy isnt it...if thers something they really want they will pay for it

Nonsense. New content players, features and updates will be added to the current YouView boxes.
  • GCGC Member Posts: 17
    edited 21 November 2012, 3:25PM
    Note that the Sony Smart TV's do not currently have 4OD or ITVPlayer capability which is really annoying having spent a considerable sum on one recently on the back of the Sony agent in John Lewis saying that they would be added within the next month some six months ago. Would really like to have LoveFilm/NetFlix available on YouView (although I do at least have these via my Sony Smart TV).
  • Kenneth SmithKenneth Smith Member Posts: 3
    edited 22 November 2012, 5:13PM
    players would be netflix and lovefilm youtube

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    YOUVIEW.
  • Mike RobertsonMike Robertson Member Posts: 8
    edited 17 July 2013, 3:59PM
    Seems like they had a head start & fluffed up.
  • htpchelp.co.ukhtpchelp.co.uk Member Posts: 11
    edited 22 November 2012, 11:23PM
    Yep the Sony smart tv does not have ITV player or 4d, the ps3 does but no c5 both have lovefilm. Both can stream from a upnp server on the wan both can play and record on USB.

Both are older than yv both are not a 299 media streamer dedicated to stream the current media platforms.
  • sandmansandman Member Posts: 59
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    i really am tired of the 'but youview is a new product give it time' its not a new product its been in development for years! humax have been selling dnla capable boxes with access to app services for years, the partners have been doing television for years. Mine is gathering dust disconnected from the internet cos i dont wanna watch mainstream **** from the beeb i want iptv as promised, youtube, lovefilm, netflix......................!

its a cash cow its **** its underdeveloped get over it !!

if they want to keep people interested theyll have to reveal its future, keeping tight lipped aint doing them any favours, its like running linux constantly having to re-configure. stop saying its a new product that will improve in time stop saying its fantastic cos its not going to improve the end product,just admit its **** - i paid £300 smackers i want this thing to do as its told not the other way round, i want apps, i want on demand, i want web tv, i want network and connections like every one else does, end of!
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    sandman said:

i really am tired of the 'but youview is a new product give it time' its not a new product its been in development for years! humax have been selling dnla capable boxes with access to app services for years, the partners have been doing television for years. Mine is gathering dust disconnected from the internet cos i dont wanna watch mainstream **** from the beeb i want iptv as promised, youtube, lovefilm, netflix......................!

if they want to keep people interested theyll have to reveal its future, keeping tight lipped aint doing them any favours, its like running linux constantly having to re-configure. stop saying its a new product that will improve in time stop saying its fantastic cos its not going to improve the end product,just admit its **** - i paid £300 smackers i want this thing to do as its told not the other way round, i want apps, i want on demand, i want web tv, i want network and connections like every one else does, end of!

Sounds like you bought the wrong box then. The YouView box does not advertise that it does what you want. It will do, hopefully, one day, but that day will not be soon. I am very happy with what my box currently does and look forward to what it will do. End of (couldn't resist).
  • sandmansandman Member Posts: 59
    edited 24 November 2012, 1:53AM
    sandman said:

that is the problem, being hopefull for its future and satisfied that its an end product when in fact its now that i want the box to provide its service, not next year. i find that what it does best is collect dust cos it doesnt do much else that other devices i have doesnt do and i doubt it ever will be doing anything differently than what it does now.
  • edited 24 November 2012, 9:34AM
    sandman said:

"youtube, lovefilm, netflix" - these have never been promised by YouView.
  • RottyRotty Member Posts: 107
    edited 24 November 2012, 10:08AM
    sandman said:

What it DOES do that other devices don't is to integrate ALL of the main broadcasters OD/catchup into one box with a simple and intuitive interface and EPG.

Sony promised things live 4od, ITV player and Demand 5 on some of their very expensive 3d Smart TV's and never delivered, and never will deliver to what they call 'legacy' products - so if you bought a TV at full price in Jan or Feb 2012, they class these old 2011 models as legacy. and did Humax ever really develop the promised portal for the HDR-FOXT2? Nope, that was left to 3rd party hacks and fiddles.....

My latest Panasonic Smart TV only has Netflix and iPlayer (plus all the other freebie plugins), but still, the YouView box gets used more. Whilst Netflix and LoveFilm are ok for the first couple of months, they rarely refresh their lineup, and I struggle to find things of interest now.

YV seems to get an unfair bashing because people seem to have a 'fantasy specification' of it, and as Martin said, YV have never claimed they will bring anything to the platform. But let's wait and see, and perhaps well be nicely surprised. After all, there is a heck of a lot of advertising happening, and I'd think other providers would be keen to piggyback on that...
  • edited 24 November 2012, 10:21AM
    sandman said:

>> Whilst Netflix and LoveFilm are ok for the first couple of months, they rarely refresh their lineup, and I struggle to find things of interest now.

Indeed.

I had a 6 month free trial of Netflix but quickly lost interest after about 6 weeks - the content isn't refreshed that often and once you've watched a series you enjoyed X years ago or have seen something you missed first rime around you're quickly left with nothing else to see.

I just cancelled by trial of the BT VIsion player for a similar reason - I had Vision 3-4 years ago and th content hasn't really changed much since then and there arr massive holes in the content, especially the music videos.
    @Sandman. Please show me a PVR that first released with EVERY feature you mentioned. Products need time to develop. It is just unrealistic to expect everything to be available at the start. Youview does not advertise that it does what you want, so why buy the box? There are boxes out there that do most of what you say, so why not buy one of them?

I am quite excited by a product that releases multiple updates each year. We will get new features, new players (odds are lovefilm etc). I am happy to wait because I appreciate the potential Youview has. You obviously don't and want everything now, so I repeat, it sounds like this box is not for you.

This thread is in danger of going off topic, so it might be best to start a new thread.
  • Chris__M1Chris__M1 Member Posts: 136
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    "I had a 6 month free trial of Netflix but quickly lost interest after about 6 weeks - the content isn't refreshed that often and once you've watched a series you enjoyed X years ago or have seen something you missed first rime around you're quickly left with nothing else to see. "

That's a relief. I recently took up a trial of Netflix, out of curiosity - my new tablet prompted me to do so, but I have since moved to the Wii for convenience. Anyway, I immediately saw at least 6 series I'd wish I'd caught, with scores of episodes available, plus one or two that I'd like to rewatch.

As a result, for the past week, I have been watching far more TV than I am normally happy with. It's good to know that I'll hit the bottom of the pot eventually!
  • edited 24 November 2012, 10:42AM
    Chris__M1 said:

"I had a 6 month free trial of Netflix but quickly lost interest after about 6 weeks - the content isn't refreshed that often and once you've watched a series you enjoyed X years ago or have seen something you missed first rime around you're quickly left with nothing else to see. "

That's a relief. I recently took up a trial of Netflix, out of curiosity - my new tablet prompted me to do so, but I have since moved to the Wii for convenience. Anyway, I immediately saw at least 6 series I'd wish I'd caught, with scores of episodes available, plus one or two that I'd like to rewatch.

As a result, for the past week, I have been watching far more TV than I am normally happy with. It's good to know that I'll hit the bottom of the pot eventually!

Everyone's different, you find more to enjoy than I did.
    edited 13 November 2013, 10:01AM
    Just glad I didn't pay for my box as it was part of the trial, it's sat gathering dust now gone back the HDR with custom firmware so we can all watch different things around the house at the same time & streaming comes straight from the TV.If I remember Youview did say Lovefilm & Netfilx etc would be coming when this forum was for beta testers.The have a had a good chance to create a good product but they missed the Olympics(soft launch) & with Christmas only a few weeks away Freesat & Sky will beat them into a corner yet again.It seems to have been built by committee since Project Canvas was initially announced on December 2008 & not moved on at all.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    >> with Christmas only a few weeks away Freesat & Sky will beat them into a corner yet again

Freesat has never beaten anything int a corner in its life and never will. It will always remain a minority, niche product.
    Freesat's sales do beat Youview's as they now give it away with broadband deals & a lot are being dumped straight on the Ebay.Take it Martin the platform is to little way to late.Maybe a couple of years ago it would have been the next big thing.But not now.

Freesat's sales do beat Youview's as they now give it away with broadband deals & a lot are being dumped straight on the Ebay.Take it Martin the platform is to little way to late.Maybe a couple of years ago it would have been the next big thing.But not now.

Can you provide a link to those broadband deals, because I looked and could not find a single provider offering Freesat, whereas the 1st and 4th largest are providing YouView. Are you guessing that Freesat sales beat YouView or do you have figures to back that up?

If Freesat sell 50,000 boxes and 50,000 turn up on ebay, that is not 100,000 sales. That is 50,000 unhappy people (my figures are obviously made up and used as an example).

I agree that YouView should have released earlier, but they will still be the big thing. It will just take a bit longer then planned.
    Agree with Martin and DRH.

FreeSat only has 2m users. And how many years has that been out?

YouView have openly stated they are in this for the long-term, and will reassess their sales position after 4 and 5 years. Because by that time they expect to have many millions of users. But sorry your not happy with it, Mike.
  • edited 24 November 2012, 8:50PM

Hi Mike

You seem to have misunderstood my admittedly short and made in a hurry post so allow me to rephrase things a bit.

Of all the established platforms - Freesat, Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media - Freesat is, has and will always be the smallest.

It is a niche product that will always be squeezed by a number of things :

1 - the absence of a satellite dish on most people's homes which provides an instant practical disincentive when compared to a DTT box you can buy and plug into an aerial.

Plus the £80-£150 charge for getting a dish installed means the cost of moving to Freesat for homes without any dish is almost always more expensive than buying a top of the range DTT box.

2 - Sky's willingness to tempt former customers back with deep discounts

3. Freesat lack 3 high profile channels - Dave, Really and Yesterday which means right from the outset customers are asked to compromise and pay more not to get channels they can get on Freeview.

These barriers are unlikely to vanish anytime soon.

YouView is the natural 'upgrade path' for the nearly 8m homes with Freeview. Freesat is nowhere on most of those people's horizons because they almost certainly don't have a dish and don't want one.

In its first 11 months Freesat "had attracted 300,000 customers" .

300,000 customers / 11months = 27,272 average monthly sales.

In a single month TalkTalk sold 29,000 YouView boxes and subscriptions on top of which we have to allow for any boxes BT has sold and those purchased via retailers.

Freesat sold 39,018 in it's first QUARTER, an average of 13,000 boxes per month.

So it appears that at the same stage in its life as Freesat, YouView is selling in far larger numbers.

Last September Freesat claimed its 2millionth sale.

A year later and it claimed 2.6m which gives us an average monthly increase of 50,000.

Anyone care to wager whether the BT YouVIew subscriptions and retail sales when added to TalkTalk's 29,000 sales takes YouView above that 50,000 mark?
    edited 17 July 2013, 3:59PM
    I'll leave you guys to blow smoke up each others arses about Youview.No doubt you'll all become the youview defence league on this site.
    Good Luck.
    Mike Robertson
    I'll leave you guys to blow smoke up each others arses about Youview.No doubt you'll all become the youview defence league on this site.
    Good Luck.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike - This is a forum. With lots of different opinions. So just show some latitude, if people disagree with you, whilst you box collects dust.You are are entitled to your opinion, as are others, too.
    edited 24 November 2012, 9:29PM
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    Good Luck.

Mike - This is a forum. With lots of different opinions. So just show some latitude, if people disagree with you, whilst you box collects dust.You are are entitled to your opinion, as are others, too.

Told off by the enforcer of the Youview Defence League (YDL)
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    Good Luck.

Mike, you made a load of wild statements saying that YouView was going to fail, with no proof to back up any of your information. Martin then provided comprehensive information to refute what you have said and now you have resulted to name calling and being quite offensive.

From what you have said, if we can prove YouView is doing well and we actually like the product then we are part of the YouView Defence League. I am quite happy to be part of the YDL then.