Lovefilm and Netflix?

Comments

• edited 25 April 2013, 7:54PM
    Madcotto said:

its simple nowtv got exclusivity for a however long and nowt will be added till this over.

this ends the ifs whys and buts couse like everyone here knows netfix gets and will be on every market asap

Do you have proof of that claim or are you just passing off guesses as fact?
  • Alan BellAlan Bell Member Posts: 6
    edited 12 December 2012, 2:09AM
    Madcotto said:

its simple nowtv got exclusivity for a however long and nowt will be added till this over.

this ends the ifs whys and buts couse like everyone here knows netfix gets and will be on every market asap

I think it stands to reason. Why else would Sky want to get involved?

I just cancelled my long-standing Lovefilm membership. The film choice was pathetic. We watched mostly instant direct on our Sony TV, but the choices are poor and extremely infrequently updated. There are more online via the website, but frankly I don't want to ar*e around connecting my wife's laptop by HDMI cable.

We're trying Now TV and so far have found the experience smooth, but I'm surprised by the limited choice available there as well. However, I'll wait and see how often they are updated.
  • Margaret OttonMargaret Otton Member Posts: 20
    edited 12 December 2012, 2:31AM
    Madcotto said:

II have free one year free love film subscription from TalkTalk that I now can watch on my Wii I agree with Alan Bell its pathetic

Netflix UK is also as pathetic comparing what you can watch in USA, Canada with being able to watch different country films on my Wii with Unblock us.

I have now subscribed with NOW TV which from what I see has all the films that Netflix offer in USA, Canada.
    edited 12 December 2012, 2:36AM
    Madcotto said:

I am now watching " SKY NOW TV " On my TV Plus box. :)
  • Mike2Mike2 Member Posts: 144
    edited 12 July 2014, 6:24PM
    Madcotto said:

If you use Unblock us then you get the same with Netflix and able to watch stuff on the USA/Canada versions - NowTV is ok, but on Youview will only do in SD and won't supply the live tv channels so is not worth the £15 a month
    edited 13 December 2012, 6:42AM
    Madcotto said:

HI Mike
    I don't know what it mean when people keep typing about " Live TV " Also SD
    Do you Mind tell me what it mean?

The only thing I find with Netflix is that My granddaughter likes watching children TV Films so after she watches few films she like Nextflix ends putting my film preferences for children films!
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    Madcotto said:

Margaret...If you view NowTV on a PC it provides not only the on demand movies but also access to most of Sky's movie channels which transmit live, (just like your normal Freeview channels). You don't get these movie channels included when you view NowTV on the YouView box.

SD means standard definition as opposed to HD which is High Definition.
    (HD is a newer picture format that provides better picture and sound quality.)
    edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    Thanks for explaining it to me gwtuk.

I Just log into NOW TV on my PC just notice the “Live TV “part, just more films.
    I have not look if it is on my View Box .

I wonder why they would not offer it on the View Box.

I have NOW TV free for 30 days then 2 mouths at £8:99. So shall see how I get on with it.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM

I Just log into NOW TV on my PC just notice the “Live TV “part, just more films.

I have NOW TV free for 30 days then 2 mouths at £8:99. So shall see how I get on with it.

Actually Margaret, you're not really missing much. I looked at it a few weeks ago and found that about 90% of the films that Sky were showing on the live channels were also available on demand from the NowTV player!
    edited 13 December 2012, 10:06AM

Oh that good to read :)
  • Mike2Mike2 Member Posts: 144
    edited 12 July 2014, 6:24PM

I think when they start supplying content in HD Format and add more stuff on Youview the product will be worth the £15 a month, but until then it's only worth the £9 a month. NowTV have also stated they are not bringing Live TV to Youview due to something to do with the Youview licencing and that no provider on youview can do this. Which they says how they going to implement Sky Sports and other stuff
  • Chris__M1Chris__M1 Member Posts: 136
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    I'm slightly amused that my old Wii (which I had mostly retired) now has specific Netflix, Lovefilm *and* YouTube apps. While not HD, they are all certainly watchable, and the YouTube app is particularly good.

I am coming to the end of my Netflix trial month, and I think I may keep it.

So YouView has a little catching up to do.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    Chris__M1 said:

I'm slightly amused that my old Wii (which I had mostly retired) now has specific Netflix, Lovefilm *and* YouTube apps. While not HD, they are all certainly watchable, and the YouTube app is particularly good.

I am coming to the end of my Netflix trial month, and I think I may keep it.

So YouView has a little catching up to do.

You hit the nail on the head there - 'your old wii'. The Wii has been round for many years and has a fairly large user base now. It makes financial sense to release these apps. They will be here for youview soon.....
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Mike less than a minute ago
    I think when they start supplying content in HD Format and add more stuff on Youview the product will be worth the £15 a month, but until then it's only worth the £9 a month. NowTV have also stated they are not bringing Live TV to Youview due to something to do with the Youview licencing and that no provider on youview can do this. Which they says how they going to implement Sky Sports and other stuff
    ------------------------------------------------------------

No live TV via the Now TV app due to licencing? Do you have a link for that Mike, because I'd like to read it.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    I dough very much that Netflix will ever be available as an app on You View Box because I read it cost £70m to get Youview up ruining , £10m of which came directly from taxpayers’ money via the TV license fee!

Netflix is American based where Love Film is based in England so we would get the Love flim pay as you go app .

We only got "SKY Now TV app " because YouView is in partnership with BSkyB .

I can get get Sky sports on my TV Plus box as I am with TalkTALK but would have to pay TalkTalk for it.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:54PM

I dough very much that Netflix will ever be available as an app on You View Box because I read it cost £70m to get Youview up ruining , £10m of which came directly from taxpayers’ money via the TV license fee!

Netflix is American based where Love Film is based in England so we would get the Love flim pay as you go app .

We only got "SKY Now TV app " because YouView is in partnership with BSkyB .

I can get get Sky sports on my TV Plus box as I am with TalkTALK but would have to pay TalkTalk for it.

Sorry but you're wrong on a number of fronts.

>> Netflix is American based where Love Film is based in England

Lovefilm is a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon, a US based company.

>> We only got "SKY Now TV app " because YouView is in partnership with BSkyB .

They are not in partnership with BSkyB. In fact BSkyB tried very hard to stop YouView from happening and only changed their mind very late in the day.
    edited 14 December 2012, 12:24AM
    If SKY does not offer live TV on you view Box its down to that they have their own one on there SKY Box..... BBC Iplayer ITV Iplayer ect

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news...

Quote .....Sky has today rolled out its new catch-up TV section on the Sky+ electronic programme guide, as well as announced a new set top box with 2TB storage and added Zeebox functionality to its Sky+ iPad app.

As announced earlier in the month, a raft of changes and improvements are being made to the Sky+ guide, which is now used by over nine million homes in the UK.

The headline new feature is the arrival of catch-up television in the new On-Demand section of the EPG, replacing the previous Anytime service..... Quote
    Love Film Its in partnership with Amazon Martin

Quote ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoveFilm...

LoveFilm

LoveFilm International Ltd. Lovefilm logo.jpg.png
    Type Subsidiary
    Industry Electronic commerce
    Founded 2002
    Founder(s) Graham Bosher
    Alex Chesterman
    Paul Gardner
    Saul Klein
    William Reeve
    Headquarters No. 9,
    6 Portal Way,
    London W3 6RU
    United Kingdom
    Area served UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.
    Key people Jim Buckle, Managing Director;
    Simon Morris, CMO;
    Fern O'Sullivan Operations Director
    Products Online DVD rental
    Services PS3- November 2010
    Xbox 360- December 2011
    iPad- September 2011
    Revenue c.US$150 million (2009)
    Net income ++
    Employees 250-499
    Parent Amazon.com
    Divisions LoveFilm UK, LoveFilm Germany, LoveFilm Sweden, LoveFilm Denmark, LoveFilm Norway.
    Website LoveFilm corporate

LoveFilm (stylised as LOVEFiLM) is a UK-based provider of home video and video game rental through DVD-by-mail and streaming video on demand in the UK, Germany and Scandinavia. It is an Amazon.com subsidiary, and operates the LoveFilm website, as well as providing outsourced website and delivery infrastructure for other British companies.

Love Film Its in partnership with Amazon Martin

Quote ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoveFilm...

LoveFilm

LoveFilm International Ltd. Lovefilm logo.jpg.png
    Type Subsidiary
    Industry Electronic commerce
    Founded 2002
    Founder(s) Graham Bosher
    Alex Chesterman
    Paul Gardner
    Saul Klein
    William Reeve
    Headquarters No. 9,
    6 Portal Way,
    London W3 6RU
    United Kingdom
    Area served UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.
    Key people Jim Buckle, Managing Director;
    Simon Morris, CMO;
    Fern O'Sullivan Operations Director
    Products Online DVD rental
    Services PS3- November 2010
    Xbox 360- December 2011
    iPad- September 2011
    Revenue c.US$150 million (2009)
    Net income ++
    Employees 250-499
    Parent Amazon.com
    Divisions LoveFilm UK, LoveFilm Germany, LoveFilm Sweden, LoveFilm Denmark, LoveFilm Norway.
    Website LoveFilm corporate

LoveFilm (stylised as LOVEFiLM) is a UK-based provider of home video and video game rental through DVD-by-mail and streaming video on demand in the UK, Germany and Scandinavia. It is an Amazon.com subsidiary, and operates the LoveFilm website, as well as providing outsourced website and delivery infrastructure for other British companies.

Lovefilm are not in partnership with Amazon, they were bought by Amazon last year. They are owned by them. Your own information above says they are a subsidiary of Amazon and that they are the parent company.

Lovefilm and Netflix will be on YouView next year or I will eat my hat (I don't have a hat, so I am fairly safe either way :)
    Martin

Quote ...They are not in partnership with BSkyB. In fact BSkyB tried very hard to stop YouView from happening and only changed their mind very late in the day. Quote

I read a different story on Wikipedia . shall look for the link post it .
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:55PM

Martin

Quote ...They are not in partnership with BSkyB. In fact BSkyB tried very hard to stop YouView from happening and only changed their mind very late in the day. Quote

Whatever you think you've read on Wikipedia, it's a fact both BSkyB and Virgin Media tried to stop YouView, originally called project canvass, from happening.

Here are some links from new sources a little more reliable than Wiki, what with them actually being written by named professional journalists and not anonymous contributors. to a site well known for peddling inaccurate BS.

The first is even written by a senior Sky manager

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organ...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/...
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/32148...
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/41...
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/v...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/...

In addition, here's the list of YouView's shareholders

http://www.youview.com/partners/

As you'll see, no mention of Sky there.

Martin

There are 7 partners in YouView and Sky are not one of them. If you go to www.youview.com and scroll to the bottom, you can see them. Martin is correct, SKy tried very hard to stop Youview from ever launching. When they failed in their attempts, they realised it was here to stay and so jumped on the bandwagon.
    http://thenextweb.com/uk/2012/07/04/y...
    quote ....

“Having 2 brands will allow us to meet the needs of two distinct market segments,” said BSkyB’s CEO Jeremy Darroch during the launch of its soon-to-launch pay-per-play TV service earlier this year. “It will be a flexible, more spontaneous offering. It will be powered by Sky, offering the best, exclusive content all from a provider they can trust. Any notion that Sky is just a satellite broadcaster should be out the window now.”

Buzzwords and hyperbole perhaps, but there is no underestimating the impact that Now TV will have on the UK television market. Most of the country doesn’t have a subscription TV package, but many will want to be able to access occasional content from Sky, such as movies and sport.

The fact that YouView has gotten in early with this partnership could prove to be its trump card, though other factors will affect this – as previously discussed, the cost of YouView with subsequent STB manufacturers and ISP partnerships Quote
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Martin
    Quote They are not in partnership with BSkyB. In fact BSkyB tried very hard to stop YouView from happening and only changed their mind very late in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouView

Yes because BSKYB thought it had the Monopoly on it all so did not want competition, so they did end up with partnership with YouView . ( Link above ) .

Quote On 13 October 2010, British Sky Broadcasting submitted a last-minute complaint to Ofcom and the Office of Fair Trading.[66] The media regulator is now likely to delay a decision on whether to launch a full investigation into the service, previously called Project Canvas, while it considers Sky's objection. News of Sky's move prompted an angry reaction from the YouView chief executive, Richard Halton, "While we welcome justifiable scrutiny, the timing of this submission is clearly designed to extend the regulatory process in pursuit of commercial self-interest rather than the public interest", he said. Sky is believed to argue in its submission that the seven-partner YouView venture will stifle competition in the on-demand market.

Martin
    Quote They are not in partnership with BSkyB. In fact BSkyB tried very hard to stop YouView from happening and only changed their mind very late in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouView

Yes because BSKYB thought it had the Monopoly on it all so did not want competition, so they did end up with partnership with YouView . ( Link above ) .

Quote On 13 October 2010, British Sky Broadcasting submitted a last-minute complaint to Ofcom and the Office of Fair Trading.[66] The media regulator is now likely to delay a decision on whether to launch a full investigation into the service, previously called Project Canvas, while it considers Sky's objection. News of Sky's move prompted an angry reaction from the YouView chief executive, Richard Halton, "While we welcome justifiable scrutiny, the timing of this submission is clearly designed to extend the regulatory process in pursuit of commercial self-interest rather than the public interest", he said. Sky is believed to argue in its submission that the seven-partner YouView venture will stifle competition in the on-demand market.

Margaret

Nothing in that quote says Sky formed a partnership with YouView and nor did they. NOW TV is a service Sky are offering on a number of platforms including YouView, it is not the result of a partnership with YouView.

Sky is a partner in Freeview but Freeview and YouView are two different companies and neither is part of the other.

Those remain the facts regardless of what you think you read on Wiki.

quote ....

“Having 2 brands will allow us to meet the needs of two distinct market segments,” said BSkyB’s CEO Jeremy Darroch during the launch of its soon-to-launch pay-per-play TV service earlier this year. “It will be a flexible, more spontaneous offering. It will be powered by Sky, offering the best, exclusive content all from a provider they can trust. Any notion that Sky is just a satellite broadcaster should be out the window now.”

Buzzwords and hyperbole perhaps, but there is no underestimating the impact that Now TV will have on the UK television market. Most of the country doesn’t have a subscription TV package, but many will want to be able to access occasional content from Sky, such as movies and sport.

The fact that YouView has gotten in early with this partnership could prove to be its trump card, though other factors will affect this – as previously discussed, the cost of YouView with subsequent STB manufacturers and ISP partnerships Quote

The use of the word partnership in that extract isn't part of a quote from Sky or YouView,

I'm sorry you're finding it so hard to accept, but Sky are not a YouView partner. That's proven by the list of partners on the YouView website two different people have now directed you to.
    Martin

So how are you perceiving its referring to when it says ????

.......The fact that YouView has gotten in early with this partnership could prove to be its trump card, though other factors will affect this

That is not from Wiki.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    This is not from Wiki either -

Sky are *NOT* a partner in YouView. They are merely a content provider. Which is a very different thing indeed.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.

Martin

.......The fact that YouView has gotten in early with this partnership could prove to be its trump card, though other factors will affect this

That is not from Wiki.

The word 'partnership' in this story is used to show them working together. Sky are not a partner in YouView. There is no way round that, they are not.

Martin

That is not from Wiki.

One blogger's use of the term doesn't change fact, Sky aren't a YouView partner.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how many people explain reality to you, you're going to perisst insisting otherwise.

Thereforr discussing anything with you is clearly a waste of time.