full box error

cj136ukcj136uk Posts: 111Member
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
recordings go past 80% free and then say the box is full, why is this? the box doesn't have many recordings

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi James - there is a know bug whereby sometimes the box incorrectly suddenly reports the disk is full. YouView are apparently looking in to this. I've seen this myself now 3 or 4 times over the last 3 months. You mention you see the problem every time it goes past 80% free so your problem may be different though or it may just be you tend to notice it around that level due to the amount you regularly have being about 20% of the disk space.

In general the error I have seen is cleared by deleting (or possibly just watching) one item at which point the correct free space is reported.

So it would seem most likely the problem is not a full disk but a software error misreporting this. Hopefully they will find the issue and have a fix included in the software update at the end of October.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    I had the same issue a couple of weeks back, I fixed it merely by switching the box on and off.

I just put it down to being 'one of those things'.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 10:30AM
    Hi James. We are aware of this and working on a fix. In the meantime, please delete a single programme from My View and this will resolve the issue.
    Since there is no easy way to retest this issue (beyond simply waiting several months and not seeing it again) could someone from YouView confirm whether a fix for this issue made it into the 30/10/2012 update.
    Sadly I now have an answer to my query above from another member of the household. They got a 'disk full' message when going in to the recording list earlier. As ever the disk was nowhere near full and the message was thus incorrect. They then watched a short programme after which the box was then correctly reporting the disk had plenty of free space.

So the incorrect disk full message is still a problem after the 30/10/2012 software update and the message/error still appears randomly and then next time you check it will typically be fine again (without the need to delete an item or even actually do anything beyond wait and re-enter the recording list).

Whilst it is not a particularly problematic bug it would be nice to see it squashed in the next software update.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Im my experience simply navigating out of, and back into, MyView fixes this.
    Indeed, it just seems when one enters the recording list it performs an action to determine the free space and that that action fails on rare occasions and results in the incorrect statement that the disk is full. So this may be a simple race condition type error or some other wrinkle.

Whatever it is it does not seem serious but equally I would like to see it eliminated (to avoid confusion for some and just because small bugs such as this are best dealt with wherever possible although of course small bugs can still be tricky to quickly and neatly fix) :)
  • Ed BondEd Bond Posts: 4Member
    edited 1 December 2012, 10:04AM
    Jesse1 said:

Hi James. We are aware of this and working on a fix. In the meantime, please delete a single programme from My View and this will resolve the issue.

Hi James,

What's the news on this update? Lost 2 recordings last night to the bug as failed, and anther as had to delete it to clear. Not a happy bunny!

Ed
  • Ashley KarylAshley Karyl Posts: 22Member
    edited 4 April 2013, 6:06PM
    We have had a YouView box now since just before Christmas and now this error has occurred three times in the last few days. That eventually brought me to this forum but it would be good if this can be fixed.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Ashley, what software version are you on?

And have you tried a manual update, if its not the latest?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • Ashley KarylAshley Karyl Posts: 22Member
    edited 5 April 2013, 9:14AM
    I'm not quite sure which version it is using but it's set to check automatically every day. I also ran a manual check and there was no change, so presumably everything is up to date.