YouView won't work via HDMI, just Scart.

PhilsyPhilsy Member Posts: 28
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Hi, I have just bought a YouView box. When I first tried to set it up, the 'Humax' logo appeared for a few seconds on the TV screen then the screen went blank. There was no set-up wizard.

I rang the YouView support line and they suggested that the box was faulty and I should return it to the retailer. I did this and got a replacement. However, the same problem occurred.

This time, I rang Humax support. After a lot of thought, they suggested I linked to the TV via Scart and not HDMI. I did this and everything worked correctly. Humax admitted they'd not seen this problem before but believed it was an issue between the box and my TV (Mirai) and that it was down the the YouView software, not the Humax box.

Although I can now use the unit, I am frustrated that I can't take advantage of the HD facility.

Can anyone suggest a fix, please?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 26 September 2012, 11:03AM
    What is the make and model of the TV?
  • PhilsyPhilsy Member Posts: 28
    edited 26 September 2012, 11:07AM
    Hi, it's a Mirai T2714G. The HDMI socket works fine with a DVD player and I've tried different leads, too.
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    I was thinking you may have some of the early Sony models which have known problems, but that is not it.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Member Posts: 275
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi Philsy, sorry to hear you're experiencing problems.

We are aware of this and working on a fix, in the meantime:

1. Please restart your box to see if this fixes the problem. To restart your YouView box, simply touch the FRONT panel round power button for 8 seconds continually, then let go. You will know that your box has restarted when you see 'Hello' on the front panel followed by 'Please wait.'
    2. Where possible - plese try a different TV make/model
    edited 27 September 2012, 11:28AM
    Hi Jesse

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have already tried resetting the box in the way you describe, but to no avail.

Sadly, I don't have another TV to try, and the one I have is fairly new so I don't want to have to change it.

Any idea when you will have a fix in place?

Cheers

Phil
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 835 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM
    SW1 said:

I was thinking you may have some of the early Sony models which have known problems, but that is not it.

Oh dear does this mean that my Sony KDL32s3000 has HDMI problems?
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 28 September 2012, 4:36PM
    Jesse1 said:

Hi Philsy, sorry to hear you're experiencing problems.

We are aware of this and working on a fix, in the meantime:

1. Please restart your box to see if this fixes the problem. To restart your YouView box, simply touch the FRONT panel round power button for 8 seconds continually, then let go. You will know that your box has restarted when you see 'Hello' on the front panel followed by 'Please wait.'
    2. Where possible - plese try a different TV make/model

There seem to be a few HDMI related quirks, if you have a mechanism to allow people to try beta firmware, please consider this possibility. YV has my contact details if needed.

See my issue and diagnosis attempts on http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:20PM
    Hi Philsy. As Jesse says, we are aware of some reports of HDMI not working with a few TV models, and we will be adding an option into manually set HDMI resolution. We've just finished development for our October update so this feature will be part of the following release due early next year, and will help in situations where the TV and YouView boxes are unable to negotiate a compatible resolution automatically. It sounds as though this option will help you as you can see the "Nearly Ready" screen which is output at a lower resolution. Apologies that we don't have a solution for you right now, but it seems to only affect a very small number of TVs and customers, and we cannot reproduce the issue in our labs.

We did speak to Humax directly and they said that they were having trouble tracking down the specifications for your TV. I also couldn't find much about it, so I'd be grateful if you could post a link to the manufacturers web page for that model. There may not be much that we can in the short term, but we'll keep investigating. Thanks for your patience.
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    Piers2 said:

Hi Philsy. As Jesse says, we are aware of some reports of HDMI not working with a few TV models, and we will be adding an option into manually set HDMI resolution. We've just finished development for our October update so this feature will be part of the following release due early next year, and will help in situations where the TV and YouView boxes are unable to negotiate a compatible resolution automatically. It sounds as though this option will help you as you can see the "Nearly Ready" screen which is output at a lower resolution. Apologies that we don't have a solution for you right now, but it seems to only affect a very small number of TVs and customers, and we cannot reproduce the issue in our labs.

We did speak to Humax directly and they said that they were having trouble tracking down the specifications for your TV. I also couldn't find much about it, so I'd be grateful if you could post a link to the manufacturers web page for that model. There may not be much that we can in the short term, but we'll keep investigating. Thanks for your patience.

Piers. I found a little bit of info on the Mirai T2714G. over on AV forums .. well, not the same model but it may help..
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-le...
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Hello Piers, I have a the same sort of problem. My TV is a Sony KDL-32S3000. This set handles modes from 480p and i at 50 and 60 Hz all the way up to 1080p and i at 50 or 60 Hz. When turning on the Humax box at the rear power switch I get the HUMAX banner screen and the TV tells me it is connected at 720p /50. When the HUMAX banner screen disappears the TV picture flashes as it tries to negotiate a new resolution then I get a blank screen. The TV reports OUT OF RANGE which is odd as the Huimax box isn't outputting anything the TV can't handle. I know Sony TV's can be quite pedantic with their HDMI handshaking but all of my other devices manage OK

Thanks

John
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Thanks for the information. We'll make sure that Humax are aware but, as you say, some TVs are very sensitive about HDMI negotiation - especially at higher resolutions and data rates, e.g. 1080p.
    edited 29 September 2012, 5:18PM
    Thanks, Jesse. Can you keep us informed as to developments, please?

Cheers

Phi;
    edited 1 October 2012, 3:09PM
    Just returning to this. I can't understand why there should be a problem with the YouView box, when other HDMI devices, such as a BluRay player, work perfectly with the TV.

Surely, it's going to be the same output?
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    Anaglypta said:

Hello Piers, I have a the same sort of problem. My TV is a Sony KDL-32S3000. This set handles modes from 480p and i at 50 and 60 Hz all the way up to 1080p and i at 50 or 60 Hz. When turning on the Humax box at the rear power switch I get the HUMAX banner screen and the TV tells me it is connected at 720p /50. When the HUMAX banner screen disappears the TV picture flashes as it tries to negotiate a new resolution then I get a blank screen. The TV reports OUT OF RANGE which is odd as the Huimax box isn't outputting anything the TV can't handle. I know Sony TV's can be quite pedantic with their HDMI handshaking but all of my other devices manage OK

Thanks

John

I'm pretty sure the KDL-32S3000 doesn't accept 1080p. I have the S2530 which defaults to 1080i without problems (I'd like to see if 720p looks the same, though) I also have access to a V4000 which does not accept 1080p.
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM
    Anaglypta said:

Thanks

John

al, You are quite right the Sony spec for this TV only shows 1080i not 1080p, however the whole point of HDMI is to negotiate the best resolution that both devices can manage. So in this case the Humax box should settle on 720p or 1080i if it supports it (I don't know if it does?). I await with anticipation the early 2013 software update which should include a manual resolution selection.
  • Matthew ViningMatthew Vining Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 October 2012, 7:11PM
    I have the same issue on a Sagem Axium HD-D45. Displays the logo ok at the start and then no signal.
  • Kelvin FawcettKelvin Fawcett Member Posts: 4
    edited 26 October 2012, 8:51PM
    I have an issue the same. My Phillips TV accepts 1080i which I though the Humax you view box outputed. Will there be any chance of an update to the box to overcome this
  • Matthew HopkinsMatthew Hopkins Member Posts: 6
    edited 29 October 2012, 2:17PM
    Hi, I have exactly the same issue with a Foern Hirsch LCD TV. Logo displayed intially and then the TV screen says "no signal". I have tested the box on my other Samsung Smart TV and it works fine.
    edited 8 January 2014, 11:17PM
    Forgot to add the using a SCART connection works fine on the Foern Hirsch LCD TV.
  • Peter GunnPeter Gunn Member Posts: 5
    edited 30 October 2012, 10:32PM
    The option to manually set HDMI would be fantastic.

Having the same problem with my Hannspree 37"YT08, which worked fine with HDMI and my Freesat box.

I almost returned my Youview box! Good job I read this thread.
  • BazildogBazildog Member Posts: 9
    edited 1 November 2012, 10:12AM
    Many older tvs will need a firmware update on the tv itself. Normally this done by popping a usb stick with the needed update. Some tvs can be updated over the air. Numerous HDMI issues can be sorted this way especially on older models.

I am sure YouView are working on other issues from their end as well.

Dont think your tv is fine just because another box works (may be an Xbox or PS3). It is worth looking for the tv updates to rule them out at least.

This has worked for me any way, no more HDMI content protection error messages.
  • Ahmed RahiAhmed Rahi Member Posts: 3
    edited 1 November 2012, 4:12PM
    reset the tv
    then lower the resaluson in settings to 720p
    worked for me
    philips tv
    edited 2 November 2012, 2:26PM
    I have now tried the HDMI connection again but this time the TV shows a red/purple background over the entire screen, but no sound or programme picture. It does however show the channel numbers in the middle of the screen when you change channel. The TV is detecting the output at 1080p but is obviously not resolving it correctly.

I cannot find any firmware upgrades for my TV so it looks like I will need to continue with the SCART connection until YouView come up with a solution.

Or I suppose I could treat myself to a new TV :-)
    edited 2 November 2012, 3:04PM
    Anyone managed to download the YouView software update (I can't for some reason) and, if so, has it fixed this problem?
    edited 2 November 2012, 3:26PM
    Philsy said:

Anyone managed to download the YouView software update (I can't for some reason) and, if so, has it fixed this problem?

I'll give this a go this evening and will let you know how I get on. Is there an update every month? I only got my box a few days ago.
    edited 2 November 2012, 3:29PM
    Philsy said:

I'll give this a go this evening and will let you know how I get on. Is there an update every month? I only got my box a few days ago.
    edited 5 November 2012, 12:11PM
    Philsy said:

There wasn't a new software update, as far as I could see, so no change.
    edited 6 November 2012, 1:54PM
    I have finally got the software update and am disappointed to report that it has not solved this problem.

I'm tempted to return the box as not fit for purpose and get a standard Freeview box instead.
    edited 6 November 2012, 2:34PM
    Philsy said:

The updates seem to be planned for occurring at 3 month intervals, hopefully the severity of this problem is acknowledged and there would be intent to fix this quicker. Expecting users to put up with this for 3 months is not viable.
  • Paul RowlandPaul Rowland Member Posts: 15
    edited 16 January 2013, 4:26PM
    Peter Gunn, did you manage to get yours to work with Your Hanspree TV? I have exactly the same tv, and the same problem